DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if the court will allow this hearing to be live online?

The status hearing was continued a while ago until August.

Superior Court has no media transmission in its courtrooms. Thank god.

ETA I see reading backward this was already known.

Thanks for this most recent article. Looks like the next status hearing is not until August 19, per the article. I thought it was in May! Is this a normal amount of time to pass in a situation like this?

Yes. Complicated cases take a while to investigate and prepare for. Sometimes it takes years before a complicated or murder case goes to trial. I believe the defense is waiting on some DNA testing that is expected to be ready in August.

Yes. Complicated cases take a while to investigate and prepare for. Sometimes it takes years before a complicated or murder case goes to trial. I believe the defense is waiting on some DNA testing that is expected to be ready in August.

I mean, I work in the molecular diagnostics business and that TAT on DNA results is pretty unacceptable.

I mean, I work in the molecular diagnostics business and that TAT on DNA results is pretty unacceptable.

If defense is waiting on DNA or other forensic testing, defense may not be interested in fast TAT. IDK. Often/usually in the def's favor to delay hearings & trial.

A law enforcement source said investigators continue to believe the unemployed welder could not have done the heinous crime alone.
http://www.wusa9.com/news/local/dc/...earching-for-savopoulos-accomplices/190632161

And I believe em! I believe experienced DC homicide investigators who have the assistance and interest of the FBI and other agencies. When they say there are more suspects that committed this.....believe them. These guys know what's up.....but can they "prove". It. They already know. We may never know. What I would give to be a fly on the wall.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And I believe em! I believe experienced DC homicide investigators who have the assistance and interest of the FBI and other agencies. When they say there are more suspects that committed this.....believe them. These guys know what's up.....but can they "prove". It. They already know. We may never know. What I would give to be a fly on the wall.

If they haven't arrested anyone else to this day, then most likely there isn't a shred of evidence anybody else was involved. How would they "know" something if they haven't got any evidence? It's been enough time that all forensic testing should have come back.

Is there any update on this case? It seems that Law Enforcement is really moving slowly on this case. I would assume there is a lot of pressure from the family to come to a resolution ASAP.

If they haven't arrested anyone else to this day, then most likely there isn't a shred of evidence anybody else was involved. How would they "know" something if they haven't got any evidence? It's been enough time that all forensic testing should have come back.

Is there any update on this case? It seems that Law Enforcement is really moving slowly on this case. I would assume there is a lot of pressure from the family to come to a resolution ASAP.

No public updates in quite a while. Maybe they're negotiating a plea.

The 8/19 10 a.m. status hearing has been rescheduled to 9/30 at 9:30 a.m.
Does anyone know why these hearings get vacated/continued? Of course we hope it is because investigators have new evidence to help develop a case but could the changes simply be administrative in nature? I hope not.
Also there is an article in the May issue of the Washingtonian at https://www.washingtonian.com/2016/...n-murders-why-hasnt-anyone-else-been-arrested
I've never believed that Wint could have committed the crimes alone. I've suspected at least one other person, who would have had a sense of the Savopoulos household schedule had to have been involved. There are multiple possibilities. Websleuthers research to me supports theory of additional defendants. However I hadn't realized - even while following this case closely that Wint had been around the neighborhood before. That is chilling. I walked through the neighborhood a month ago after attending a concert at Natl Cathedral and not wanting to wait for a bus. I didn't realize right away what neighborhood I was in but it occurred to me anyone walking there is very visible. It is a leafy neighborhood with old growth trees and large homes but still visibility is good and Daron Wint would have really stood out. Not on account of his race/ethnicity/dreads, but more because he looks rough, tough and mean. That would have been very noticeable. Could he have stalked the family to learn their routines? Thats really hard to imagine. Plus I know they have an elderly neighbor who knew them well and would have been around to notice someone like Wint lurking about. Maybe he had inside information in addition to casing the situation on his own. We will find out eventually. Its sickening to consider any of this. Praying for justice for this family.
The Washingtonian article indicates "At least one neighbor reported seeing Wint occasionally walking on Woodland Drive toward the Savopoulos mansion."

Outgoing police chief decries District’s ‘broken’ criminal justice system
The Washington Post
By Peter Hermann and Clarence Williams
September 5 at 5:46 PM

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...de324e-7108-11e6-8533-6b0b0ded0253_story.html

“D.C. Police Chief Cathy L. Lanier leaves her post in two weeks with high popularity and crime down over her tenure but frustrated by a system that she said allows repeat violent offenders back on the street time after time.

In a far-ranging interview, the chief of nearly 10 years unleashed a blunt rebuke of the myriad local and federal agencies responsible for keeping offenders in check, saying there are too many failures and too little accountability.

“The criminal justice system in this city is broken,” Lanier said, citing what she sees as the lack of outrage over repeat offenders as a key reason for her decision to take a job as head of security for the National Football League. “It is beyond broken.””

“But she said the community at large has to assume many of the tasks that over the years have become problems for police to resolve, such as responding to people with mental illness and minor violations of the rules. “A lot of the things we deal with right now, you don’t need a police officer,” she said. “And it is putting us in confrontational positions with people who are not criminals that are causing a lot of the turmoil we see right now.””​

More...

I think she was a good Police Chief, it will be a loss beyond Washington DC, imo.

Your perfectly logical assumption reminds me of a rather famous case. A bloody bootprint was found at the scene of a particularly callous crime. It did not match any of the indicted suspects or their known associates nor any of the first responders or detectives. The D.A. searched tirelessly for those boots but to no avail. He was quite convinced someone else was there and particpated but had to drop it and concentrate on those that he had much more evidence agaisnt.

If there was someone else involved, then why wouldn't Wint give up the name(s)? Wouldn't that be a huge bargaining tool for him?

If there was someone else involved, then why wouldn't Wint give up the name(s)? Wouldn't that be a huge bargaining tool for him?

i am sorry to say that this is an example of a logical fallacy commonly called a non sequitor. Literally meaning, "it does not follow." We have no way to know his reasoning as to his defence strategy. The only truly logical reason for the police to be wrong in stating that others were involved is 1. the police are incompetent or 2. the police are purposefully making false statements about others being involved.

Wouldn't that mean he'd have to admit he was there? I'm curious why an award hasn't been offered for any info on accomplices that were with Wint? The savopoulos families is extreme wealthy, I'm kinda surprised they haven't offered a large award.

I also think that he may be following the code of snitches get stitches. He knows he is going to prison, and turning someone else in may make his time shorter, but a lot more dangerous if he does talk. JMO

Agree on the snitches get stitches, especially considering the area he's from. And yes - if he's saying he wasn't there it makes total sense that he wouldn't give anybody else up. Good thoughts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member