OH - Pike County: 8 people from one family dead as police hunt for killer(s) #16

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it odd to classify the recollections of the man who found the body of one of the murder victims as "rumors." Rumors to me are typically misinformed tales that get butchered through the grapevine.
Donald Stone is the man who found the body, and he gave a direct account of what he saw. "Rumor" doesn't seem like the right word.

They absolutely made them look bad. "We are not going to release any information about this case. Because we do not want to jeopardize a conviction." (DA actually leaves the podium at this point, then returns.) "By the way..... the victims had marijuana grow ops in 3 of 4 crime scenes. They were not small they were sophisticated and commercial. We also noticed roosters in small cages consistent with *advertiser censored* fighting."

Thats the last info we received from LE about the case really. I guess they said they had video after that and took the trailers to "preserve the scenes". They played it and made the family look bad so people wouldn't pay attention.

It's difficult to draw conclusions when you don't have all the facts and are not privy to the thinking and planning that is going on behind the scenes. I don't believe that LE was intentionally trying to make them look bad. The probable reason why he returned to the podium to make the point is that he needed to establish it as a fact that the family was involved in illegal activities ... because LE had in mind then that they were going to take away all the movables on the properties and (I believe) will move to have those assets treated as a forfeiture case, sold off subsequently to defray the high cost of this investigation. It was mentioned specifically to serve as a linkage between cause and effect in the public mind ??

Was the question phrased by the reporter asking if there was an amount of $1000? I honestly don't remember how the reporter phrased question. if we are assuming dewine was using the exact amount to doge the question, couldn't he have done something along the same lines with any other question? Also if that is true id personally question dewines credibility on any info that was provided by him if front of a mic on the spot.

I think that the criticisms are largely unfounded and drawn from a lack of understanding of how LE goes about its work. Personally, I think that they have been astute in their handling of this case. LE should not release any information beyond that which they believe is necessary to facilitate the investigation. Rekeasing more than is necessary couod very well turn out to be counter-productive later. I say, give them a break unless you can prove inefficiency, neglect or malfeasance on their part.

I don't think LE intentionally tried to make them look bad. But look at how much crap they were involved in. Grow ops, *advertiser censored* fighting, buying/selling junk, altercations with multiple different people... I think all of that is important information because it gives us an idea of their lifestyle and I think something they were involved in ultimately led to them being murdered. Did they deserve it? NO. Of course not. But why do some keep acting like their lifestyle was normal and what they were involved in was ok and they were just trying to get by? Just because it was normal to them doesn't make it right. I've never once thought about selling drugs, it's wrong in my opinion.. and from what I know, most people who sell them also do them.
I hope they find whoever did this ASAP but justifying their behaviors/activities is odd to me. Like "oh they were just trying to make a living." Yea so are people who steal things from others and sell it. Does that make it ok? They were not a family with a good reputation. Was LE supposed to ignore all of these facts to gain sympathy for them?
I hope this doesn't come across as harsh, I just can't wrap my head around it I guess. Maybe because I live a very different lifestyle than they did even though we are from the same area.

My story is very similar to yours. Middle class parents, great childhood, college graduate. Addiction doesn't give a crap about who you are.

Sent from my LGL16C using Tapatalk

I think that the criticisms are largely unfounded and drawn from a lack of understanding of how LE goes about its work. Personally, I think that they have been astute in their handling of this case. LE should not release any information beyond that which they believe is necessary to facilitate the investigation. Rekeasing more than is necessary couod very well turn out to be counter-productive later. I say, give them a break unless you can prove inefficiency, neglect or malfeasance on their part.

I say we have no idea how "astute" their handling of the case has been. We essentially know nothing from what LE has told us. So,again, yes, maybe time will tell.

I don't think LE intentionally tried to make them look bad. But look at how much crap they were involved in. Grow ops, *advertiser censored* fighting, buying/selling junk, altercations with multiple different people... I think all of that is important information because it gives us an idea of their lifestyle and I think something they were involved in ultimately led to them being murdered. Did they deserve it? NO. Of course not. But why do some keep acting like their lifestyle was normal and what they were involved in was ok and they were just trying to get by? Just because it was normal to them doesn't make it right. I've never once thought about selling drugs, it's wrong in my opinion.. and from what I know, most people who sell them also do them.
I hope they find whoever did this ASAP but justifying their behaviors/activities is odd to me. Like "oh they were just trying to make a living." Yea so are people who steal things from others and sell it. Does that make it ok? They were not a family with a good reputation. Was LE supposed to ignore all of these facts to gain sympathy for them?
I hope this doesn't come across as harsh, I just can't wrap my head around it I guess. Maybe because I live a very different lifestyle than they did even though we are from the same area.

Totally agree.

The grow op question was answered very early on... Maybe before LE realized the scope of what they were dealing with. I think they stumbled onto something bigger, that reaches further than anyone thought on day 2 or 3. Once they realized what was actually going on and how many people knew, I think they have to keep it quiet in a small town in order to piece it all together.

Agreed!!!
I don't know that the public really has "a right to know."
We aren't (legally) solving the case.
Perhaps the comments about the grow and cockfighting was also to put the town at ease because there's cold blooded killer(s) on the loose. This wasn't random, the family was targeted. Those key points not only put the potential for this to happen to just anyone into perspective, but they also explain why DEA would be on scene, any animal welfare organization etc. it justifies situations that the media may see and question, and it's a lot less they have to deal with. No explanation for the dive team vehicle ( except oh, that's just what they were driving to get here).

I'm in California and not familiar with this DeWine. He does not sound very reputable and basically sounds like a career politician. In my state you don't hear about the AG getting involved, so it's a bit confusing to me. I also live in a small town with many secrets and small town justice, with unsolved crimes and LE has always kept investigations on a local level. I do realize it's like comparing apples to oranges, but this politician is only concerned about his career, not necessarily with solving the crime.

Dewine IS a career politician and likes the spotlight. I see no reason for him to have toured the murder scenes other than being nosey. If it gets solved he'll say see what happened with me in office!!!

"There was a report this morning at a website, said that car repairman Donald Stone, 44, told how he found the body of his cousin, Kenneth Rhoden lying in bed with a single bullet wound to the head. Stone revealed that Rhoden's corpse, from its knees down, was shrewn with dollar bills which may have been a sinister message from the killer. Can you confirm whether or not that is factually accurate?"
"No, I can't confirm that, no. I mean, I'm gonna tell ya, I've kind of looked through some of the media reports and different anonymous sources sometimes, and quoted and, just, there's a lot of rumors out there that are just dead wrong."
"Okay, can you tell us that's wrong? Can you say that's wrong?"
"Uh, it does not sound correct to me. It does not sound correct to me. But I'm not gonna, I'm not gonna get into knocking down every rumor."

http://www.700wlw.com/onair/bill-cunningham-227/pike-county-update-14651193/

Thank you!

I think you have to be more aware of these types of areas to understand the lifestyle. This happens everywhere. All through the south, out west, up state NY. As soon as you get an hour or 2 outside of bigger metro areas. This really is a lot of America. They are actually in the middle of nowhere. There are no strip malls, there is not a strip of road with car dealer ships and fast food. There really is nothing but this is home for them and over years and generations they have learned and come up with ways to profit and survive. I have lots of family in the hills of WV about an hour from here. You get up in the hills it's a totally new world. They hustle things all the time cars, cell phones, furniture you name it. Some of them grew opened their own successful business's In that world (auction house, furniture store). It really comes down to doing what you have to because your on your own out there.

I think you have to be more aware of these types of areas to understand the lifestyle. This happens everywhere. All through the south, out west, up state NY. As soon as you get an hour or 2 outside of bigger metro areas. This really is a lot of America. They are actually in the middle of nowhere. There are no strip malls, there is not a strip of road with car dealer ships and fast food. There really is nothing but this is home for them and over years and generations they have learned and come up with ways to profit and survive. I have lots of family in the hills of WV about an hour from here. You get up in the hills it's a totally new world. They hustle things all the time cars, cell phones, furniture you name it. Some of them grew opened their own successful business's In that world (auction house, furniture store). It really comes down to doing what you have to because your on your own out there.

Just because it happens "everywhere" still doesn't mean if you're involved in something illegal it's commendable. If anyone wants to take a chance and do something illegal, that's their decision. Doesn't mean they're being demonized. There are plenty of people that live in the middle of nowhere that aren't involved in questionable activities.

But, whatever. Hoping for some news today!

Just because it happens "everywhere" still doesn't mean if you're involved in something illegal it's commendable. If anyone wants to take a chance and do something illegal, that's their decision. Doesn't mean they're being demonized. There are plenty of people that live in the middle of nowhere that aren't involved in questionable activities.

Last time I checked, it was not illegal to raise roosters in huts. Did they come across an actual cockfight, or did they just assume that is why the roosters were being raised.

I don't think they tried to make them look bad either. The family, if people perceived them as "bad" in their hometown area, had helped that along before their deaths, and it was just publicized to the world after their deaths. I don't see anything wrong w/buying and selling junk cars, it's not illegal. I'm not justifying their illegal activities but the ones we know about are, compared to a lot of things, just not especially shocking or heinous. Marijuana isn't something most people are taken aback by these days. Honestly it should be legal. Alcohol & cigarettes kill more people than illegal drugs and no one's ever died from marijuana, unless a bale of it falls on them. Again, I'm not cool w/*advertiser censored* fighting but it is something ingrained in the region. It's just like some lesser crimes are over-looked in large cities such as, someone who is believed to be selling only marijuana and raising pit bulls, b/c we all know that raising and selling pit bulls is not crime, and there are much bigger crimes to worry about until it is discovered that pot dealer has become the local meth/ heroin dealer and has a pit bull fighting ring in his basement.

Last time I checked, it was not illegal to raise roosters in huts. Did they come across an actual cockfight, or did they just assume that is why the roosters were being raised.

I don't know. They said they found evidence of cockfighting. I think it's obvious when they showed up to investigate 8 murders there wasn't a cockfight derby going on.

Agreed.

I always found it interesting that you can organize fights between people and charge admission, but face jail time for doing the same with animals.

I don't know. They said they found evidence of cockfighting. I think it's obvious when they showed up to investigate 8 murders there wasn't a cockfight derby going on.
They actually worded it as; "possible" evidence of cockfighting but Dewine said that he did not know if they were engaged in *advertiser censored* fighting. Which, almost anyone with game *advertiser censored* would be seen as suspicious of participating in fighting them.

Was there any evidence of cockfighting, other than the way the roosters were raised?

The way I read this article makes me think not.

"DeWine "observed roosters in small cages, one to a cage -- a set-up he’s seen previously associated with *advertiser censored* fighting," Eve Mueller, spokeswoman for DeWine's office, told ABC News today. She did not specify which crime scene."Whether or not that was actually happening here, he doesn’t know -- but what he saw was consistent with *advertiser censored* fighting," Mueller said."

http://www.wptv.com/news/region-mar...d-of-tricia-todd-arrested-charged-with-murder

Is selling roosters illegal in Ohio?

MOO

Yea that is harsh, what in the world is wrong with buying & selling junk cars? And the only altercations I have seen where from the boys? I didn't see anything about the parents. Along with the *advertiser censored* fighting that's a young boy thing also.
Yes the dad had grow ops which I would never do myself but I sure don't think it overrides all the hard work he has actually done for years to get his family where they are today. Working on cars is not a easy job! Running heavy equipment work is not easy! And the level of carpentry that Cr1 did sure wasn't easy by all means! So yea grow ops was a bad choice, but I don't see how that makes their lifestyle so horrible!
One more thing, it's actually not true about ppl that sell drugs do drugs.
I don't know these people nor do I sell or grow drugs it's strictly my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VT_Squire