Cases That Haunt You

Patricia "Patty" Kerger- I searched on the site and couldn't find any mention of her. She was stabbed/bludgeoned to death June 10th, 1978 in Scottsdale, AZ. Her body was found dumped in an empty lot. My grandmother was in a band with her and her death broke up the band and left her in a really strange state of mind, particularly because her killer was never found.

Here is a link to further information, what little there is out there on the case. She was just 30 years old and left behind a 10 year old son.

Actually I do remember that case!! Had forgotten it until now. Wonder where her family is now. Sometimes if you find where they are you can find out more about the case

The Oklahoma Girls Scout murders and The Texas Yogurt Shop murders. I would love for these to be solved.

Was just going to say the Girl Scout murders. My family gave the girl scouts the land way back in the 20's. Growing up as a kid, we still had property out there and spent lots of summer weekends there. We called it the farm, as my grandfather grew soybean crops on some of the land he had left by then. Mostly it was a place to play in the spring creek and the adults just to have fun drinking and carrying on. Anyway... what I remember most about going to the farm was being terrified when it was time for me to go to bed. I was an only child, so I was always alone. This was long before this happened to the girl scouts. Once it did, I told my parents and anyone in my family who would listen that there WAS a reason for me to be so scared as a child. I am pretty sure Gene Leroy Hart was and is guilty of these awful murders.

So my cases would be: (All OK cases)
Girl Scout murders
Tommy Ray Estep
Molly Miller and Colt Haines
Peggy McGuire

Yes, I certainly agree the Girl Scouts' case still gives me goosebumps. I always seem to think of all those sweet, innocent girls at this time of year---maybe some of them experiencing the fun of campfires, rope tying, boondoggle, folk songs, hiking, wildflower-identifying (a new hyphenated word I just made up!), bird-watching, fireflies, camp nicknames---all for the very first time.....AND their dear caregivers---the counselors and camp staff,,,,,,AND parents, who never, ever considered their little ones might not make the bus trip back home.

Other cases that continue to keep me wondering if we will ever learn what happened:
Ray Gricar
Tammy Jo Alexander
Kyron Horton
Susan Cox Powell
Brittanee Drexel
Russell Mort
Steven Koecher
Joey Lynn Offutt
Bob Harrod. . . .
. . . .and so many others. . . .

There is, however, peace in knowing that God knows all the pieces of the puzzles of these mysteries.
I pray that families and friends of all those missing and taken from us through acts of violence will find strength and comfort in Him!

The cold case murder of young reporter Jennifer Servo.
attachment.php

Young, talented, beautiful - Jennifer was pursuing her dream of being being a reporter for one of the big networks someday, she dreamed of being in Katie Couric's seat someday. She had just graduated from the University of Montana with a degree in journalism. She just got a job reporting at a local station in Abilene, Texas and was excited to start pursuing her career.

Her life was cut short when she was murdered on September 16th, 2002. She was only 22 years old. She was found bludgeoned and strangled to death and sexually assaulted in her apartment. I believe it is clear who did this. Jennifer's dad runs a wonderful website http://www.justiceforjennifer.org and agrees it is obvious who killed her. So does her mom. She always locked her door at night. There was no break in. She knew who did this to her.

His name is Ralph Sepulveda and he is free today. I hope and pray he is brought to justice someday for this. I have no doubt he looks behind him everyday wondering if this is the day he is going to get caught.

You can watch the 48 Hours episode here: [video=dailymotion;x2cal78]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2cal78_48-hours-mystery-deadline-for-justice_tv[/video]

Attachments

• ht_servo_murder_070910_mn.jpg
    ht_servo_murder_070910_mn.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 474
I haven't watched the video yet,

But what is really puzzling according to a website for Jennifer here, they tried to extract DNA from all the supects, including the main two Ralph and Brian and have come up with no matches. The site explains why:

http://www.justiceforjennifer.org/index.php?action=cosmopolitan

It seems like Ralph is the likely killer, but how to get more of his DNA or whoever did this too her, is the biggest challenge in this case. The fact that Ralph has not cooperated with authorities were other POI's have is certainly a red flag for him.

Satch

Eklutna Annie and Horseshoe Harriet, perhaps because theirs was the case that got me interested in UIDs. I feel like we're always so, so close to finding out who these girls are. Especially Annie, whose identity I wish I could say I'm certain of, but with every day the results of the tests aren't complete i feel that hope fading. And Harriet, who doesn't even have a recon due to the state of her remains. Their killer has long since been brought to justice (and is probably burning in hell now) but do they have justice if they don't have their names back? No matter what they did to support themselves they're still humans. Still women, doing what they could to get by. Young women, none the less.

In a similar vein, the Long Island serial killer case and all of the UIDs involved. It really is terrible how little attention they get, how so little seem to be looking for them. I remember getting into a conversation with my brother about how prostitutes and other sex workers are such common victims of these sickos because even to the LE they're seen as less than human. It's something I would like to address if I go into Law Enforcement (a serious consideration now.) I remember watching an interview with the family of one of his identified victims talking about how LE didn't even take their missing persons report seriously at first due to her being a prostitute.
Also, I'm a born and bred New Yorker. Such a violent and calculating serial killer so close to me and my family is scary as hell. My mom already has clear memories of living through the Son of Sam killings in the 70s.

Tara Calico and Maura Murray. Separate cases, but both missing young women around the same age. Tara's case is older of course, lord only knows how much longer we have until we have answers. The thing that haunts me most about it, like others I'm sure, is that photograph found in a Florida parking lot.
As for Maura, that case is just. Downright bizarre. I don't even know what I can say about that one that hasn't already been said. Her actions make such little sense to the people that new her. That whole youtube channel fiasco that popped up not too long ago. Did she disappear willingly, was she abducted, did she wonder into the woods and succumb to the elements? Where was she going, why did she lie about a family emergency? If there's one case I want solved in my lifetime, it's hers.

William Desmond Taylor murder. This case is so old I'm sure we'll never have a definitive answer, but all the speculative literature on it has always drawn me in. Not to mention I'm a huge fan of silent films and old Hollywood. And in the history of it all, this was a pretty significant case leading to the eventual development of censorship laws like the Hays Code.

ALSO (my post before was long enough already lmao) any case involving a newborn baby. Baby Allison, Baby Michael, the Goodhue County Babies, etc. Because in most of these cases I feel like so much could have been prevented. I get the feeling their mothers were young. Very young, even. Scared, confused, probably way in denial. These babies could still be alive if they'd been encouraged by just one person to talk to someone. To open up, take advantage of Safe Haven laws. If they knew about them to begin with. You know what I mean? Not to say these women shouldn't be held accountable, but they're definitely not evil muderers trying to satisfy a blood lust.

I say most, of course, because there are always exceptions to the above. The baby Michael case is kinda suspicious to me, and two of the three Goodhue county babies had the same mother. And something like that happening twice to the same woman is. Questionable.

Hi OilPainter,

I wrote to the website again and asked about the wallet and some other things. I was just going to summarize but I thought it was an interesting read. I'm forwarding it along pretty much as it came.

"We thought the wallet was interesting at first because we figured, if Mike were trying to intentionally disappear, one of the things he would do would be to completely get rid of his identify. So it would be logical that he would leave his wallet, his car, his bank account, all of it behind.

Mike lived with a large, very religious family. He was the sole member of the family who both rejected, and was a bit embarrassed by, some of the religious rituals the others practiced. Mike was also part of a blended family, and was quite a bit different from his step-siblings. He was generally an outsider in his own family.

He was close to his father. He was the "golden boy" of the family, and so they were a little jealous of him because people really liked Mike, he was smart, and everything seemed to go really well for him. It sounds funny, but it really is a good analogy: Mike's story really is very much like Cinderella.

At work, Mike had a boss who not only jumped on him for every little thing at every turn, he took great pride in humiliating Mike in front of customers and other employees. Mike was smart, charismatic, witty, kind, attractive, and really good at anything he set out to do. That included academics, drumming in the marching band, his job, you name it. His boss was the polar opposite of Mike, and he was nearly twice Mike's age. Mike never raised his voice or lost his temper, and his boss resented Mike for everything that he was. Mike always handled it well until that last day.

He wasn't going to go back to work at all after the last humiliation his boss subjected him to. His dad advised him that he should go back to work for his last remaining two weeks, since he enjoyed his job and was good at it, and not let his boss unfairly run him out of it.

His dad has never forgiven himself for that. He thinks, had he not given Mike that advice and just let him quit like he wanted to, Mike would still be here. The unfortunate thing about that is it's actually good advice for a father to give his teenage son. But on this particular day, Mike went missing.

We thought that Mike had just enough and took off. That's why the wallet was significant. But then we were able to verify that Mike had reserved and paid for a dorm room at the University he was attending, and had bought the supplies he needed for his freshman year.

We also found out, after a lot of investigating, that it wouldn't have mattered if Mike had returned to the store that day or not. Mike tended to attract people into his orbit that could be very jealous and possessive of him. Mike, for all of his book smarts, didn't seem to recognize this as fast as he could have. The men that targeted Mike had a specific need for him, and so they chose him as their victim. For what they wanted of him, they would have gotten Mike whether he had returned to that store that day or not."

I plan on writing back because now my curiosity about Michael being "chosen" is peaked. Kline, I hope I haven't hijacked your thread. If you'd like me to move Michael to his own thread just let me know. :)

gaia227, thanks for posting the Dyatlov Pass Incident. I hadn't read about that one before. But I'm adding it to my list of cases now. I've been scouring the internet reading up on it ever since you posted about it. It's a fascinating read.

Was Mike's boss ever considered a suspect in his disappearance? Did his boss take a polygraph?

Satch

Sorry, had to make it into two postings due to length.

FBI involved again

The Mirack case received federal attention while Schuler participated in an intensive 11-week training course at the FBI Academy in Quantico, Va., in 1995. Upon her return, the killer's profile had not changed: one man, possibly 25 to 35 years old, who knew that about 7 a.m. Monday, Dec. 21, Christy would be alone getting ready for school in her townhouse.

The motive is still unclear. Geesey would not comment on the crime scene last week. Police remain quiet as to what weapons were used in the crime, and will not comment on information from sources early on that one instrument was a kitchen cutting board.

"She was beaten," Geesey said. "She was beaten in anger, but ... I don't think we should get into specifics."

The tips that inundated police in the weeks after the homicide slowed with the passage of time. These days, it can be a few months before there's a lead on the case. The most recent tip came in Dec. 2; investigators refused comment on the nature of that information.

Schuler said East Lampeter Township detective Joseph Edgell was assigned to assist on the case about 10 months ago. Geesey continues to work with the department, which is aided by local municipalities as well as state and federal law enforcement when the need arises.

The FBI Behavioral Analysis Unit working out of Quantico is assisting on the case and working on a profile of the killer.

It's not the first time for FBI assistance. In addition to Schuler's training, East Lampeter Township investigators sought federal input in 1993.

Later that year, in a Sunday News story, the murderer was described as someone who wouldn't stand out in a crowd. He was an observer, not the center of attention or the life of the party. He probably hadn't killed before but might have committed date rape, according to information based in part on an FBI profile.

He may have gone into a rage when Christy either rejected him or wouldn't stop resisting.

Who and why

For most of the past decade, it was Mrs. Mirack _ a native of Sunbury who moved to Shamokin as a child _ who kept in touch with police for updates on the investigation.

"She always felt like she was on the outside looking in," her son said.

Schuler wasn't sure when last she spoke with the Miracks; Christy's brother, who also lives in suburban Philadelphia, said his mother hadn't talked with Lancaster County officials in at least a year.

That was about the time Mrs. Mirack faced a third bout with cancer, breast cancer that eventually metastasized to her brain. Treatments to fight the disease wore her out, yet she clung to a dimming hope that Christy's killer would be caught.

Mrs. Mirack worked in several Shamokin-area garment factories and was last employed in Northumberland County's maintenance department. She was proud of college-educated Christy, whom the family called "Chrissy." Mother and daughter's relationship was a close one. Family said they were like sisters.

Faced with her own mortality, Mrs. Mirack _ a wife for 38 years, a mother for almost as many, and a grandmother _ straddled a fence between her love for them and the daughter and sister they'd mourned as a family for a decade. Not knowing the killer's identity had been torment upon heartbreak.

"Who? Who and why?" Mrs. Mirack asked through tears, noting that it had been years before she could really even talk about the murder. "Was she that terrible a person that they had to kill her?"

Christy, who had also been a part-time waitress at Conestoga Country Club and an assistant to a pharmacist at the Neffsville Pharmacy, knew hard work.

And she was determined to be a good teacher.

At 25, she was on her way. Her youth, enthusiasm and rapport with the children made her popular with students, parents and colleagues.

The night before the murder she finished wrapping the last of her Christmas presents for her class. Each child was to get a paperback book, "Miracles on Maple Hill," by children's author Virginia Sorensen. A candy cane topped each gift, and inside, she wrote: "Wishing you a very Merry Christmas and a great 1993! Love, Miss Mirack."

Her mother bristled at critics who tarred her daughter with a brush long on judgment and short on compassion because she liked to have fun with her girlfriends at local night spots.

"She was a young kid in college," Mrs. Mirack said of Christy's years at Millersville University. "What do you expect?"

The family learned of Christy's four-year relationship with an older married man after the murder. It was but one thread in a rich, 25-year-old life filled with potential and built around teaching, friendship and family.

As Mrs. Mirack put it, "She was just an ordinary girl."

Family's doubts

Blame for the murder is the killer's alone. But finding the murderer has been no small task.

At an emotional September interview with the Miracks, the pain of Christy's death was fresh. Her family second-guessed themselves, worrying aloud that they should have pushed law enforcement harder. They wondered whether the case would have been solved long ago if they lived in Lancaster County.

"We did whatever they asked us to do," said Christy's brother, a sentiment that was affirmed by Geesey and Schuler. "We assumed they told us everything we needed to know."

"We didn't talk," Christy's father, 64, said. "We didn't say nothing to nobody."

The last thing they wanted to do was jeopardize the case.

Now, her father sees things differently. "Nice people finish last."

Alicia, 37, wonders whether the case was too much for local law enforcement. "I didn't get a feeling they were used to dealing with these things," she said.

Then the family learned of allegations of prosecutorial misconduct in the investigation and prosecution of Lisa Michelle Lambert, one of Laurie Show's convicted killers. Although a Lancaster County judge found no evidence to support those charges in a post-conviction hearing reaffirming Lambert's guilty verdict, it raised questions in the minds of the Mirack family.

"They had so many changes of hands down there," Christy's brother added. "Every time you talked to them, somebody different was handling the case."

Schuler, who has been involved in the investigation from the beginning, said she understands the frustrations and doubts of the Mirack family. But she assures them, and the public, that investigators have been diligent in gathering evidence and working to solve this crime.

"This case has been on every police officer's mind in this county ..." said Geesey, suggesting that it is one that police _ Schuler, in particular, because of her contact with Mrs. Mirack _ have taken personally.

Although investigators have changed _ people get older, move to new positions and retire, noted Schuler _ "that does not affect the continuity," Geesey said.

The Mirack case is one of the unsolved crimes the county is continuing to look into. Others include the 1975 stabbing of Lindy Biechler and the 1984 disappearance of Mary Ann Bagenstose.

Resolve lives on

Schuler said the Mirack case will remain open until it is solved. Investigators believe it can be solved.

But, Schuler added, "We need (the public's) help. We are not an island. We need phone calls and letters to continue."

Investigators stressed that no piece of information is too small or insignificant. Someone may want to come forward who didn't before; there may be others who want to change, or add to, information they supplied to police.

Mrs. Mirack's resolve to find Christy's killer lives on in her husband and surviving son and daughter.

"You don't think something like this will happen to you," she said during the interview in September, "and when it does, it's overwhelming."

Less than two months later, mother was buried alongside daughter at All Saints Cemetery in rural Elysburg.

My gut instinct is she was killed by a man who lived in the apartment complex, familiar with their schedule, someone who had been watching her and saw an opportunity.

As I've been listening to the Up and Vanished podcast about Tara Grinstead, this case will forever haunt me until it's solved. I've even had a few dreams about her. It seems so easy at times, if only someone would just talk. After all these years...

JonBenet's case has always haunted me as well, she was a little older than me when she disappeared, and I still remember those months of news coverage even though I was so young. My grandparents lived about an hour from her home in Boulder, and I remember we drove by the house back then too. It was so scary to me as a child, and still scary today! I always felt like I could relate to her, and now as an adult, I often wonder where her life could've taken her. I have my own theory on this one, but it's a touchy subject and through the controversy surrounding the case, I have little hope that it will be solved :( which is hard for me to admit because I have so much hope in cold cases, but this one, I just don't know...at least in my lifetime.

Teghan Skiba -- NC -- 4 years old - Tortured terribly, raped & died from her injuries, in July, 2010. Her killer, Jonathan Richardson (boyfriend of Skiba's mother), then 21 y/o, finally took her to the local ER and said she had fallen out of bed. Doctors & nurses said she was covered head to foot with bites, burns, electric wire whipping, bruises, etc., etc. -- there were no areas where she was not injured. She died after being sent to a university hospital trauma center. Even her attending physician was in tears when he testified against Richardson.

Richardson was tried & convicted of 1st Deg. Murder, sex offense of child by adult, 1st Degree Kidnapping of a minor, & child abuse. He is on NC's Death Row.

The very worst.

Joan Risch (maiden name was Nattras) disappeared on October 24, 1961 from her home in Lincoln, Massachusetts. She was a 30 year old homemaker and mother of two, 5"7 and 120 pounds with brown hair and blue eyes; a caucasian female. On the day of her disapperence she is said to have last been seen wearing a gray cloth coat, a blouse, a sweater, a charcoal-coloured wool skirt, and a platinum wedding band with diamonds. She is said to have been POSSIBLY wearing a scarf on her head and her shoes have been described as blue high-heels, flats or sneakers with piping (different accounts vary between the three).

On the day of her disappearance Mrs. Risch went about her regular day, she and her 4 year old daughter had gone out to the dentist, to cash a cheque and to go grocery shopping. The pair returned home around 11:00am for lunch after which Joan put her 2 year old son down for a nap and sent her daughter over to the neighbours house to play. She is said to have been last seen around 2:15pm on October 24th, standing next to the family's blue sedan possibly looking disoriented.

Joan's daughter returned home at 4:00pm that afternoon only to head back over to her neighbours house to tell them that her mother missing and their was "red paint" smeared all around the house. The "red paint" she had spoken of was blood and it had looked as though there was some sort of struggle that happened in the home. The 2 year old Risch boy was still in his crib and a trail of blood lead from the baby's room to the kitchen and out to the drive way where it seems to have stopped suddenly.

Obviously the police's first suspect was Mr. Risch, but it couldn't have been him due to the fact that he hadn't even been in the state at the time of his wife's disappearance. At the time, he had been on a business trip in New York and it would seem as though there were no other suspects in the case because Joan was a homemaker and a kind women, who would want to hurt her? Well there was another suspect, eye witnesses reported seeing an unidentified blue/grey 1954 or 1955 model sedan parked behind Joan's vehicle at around 3:20pm on the day she disappeared. I'm not sure if the vehicle in question has ever been found but it is definitely a suspicious sighting.

My theory on what happened to Joan Risch, maybe Joan's attacker wasn't after Joan but her 2 year old son. How I see it is, Joan went about her regular day running errands with her young daughter and then coming home to feed her children and put her son down for a nap. She walks her daughter over to the neighbour, maybe stays to chat for a while, and walks back home to check on her son and finds a stranger in the toddlers nursery. Joan panics, alerting her attacker to her presence and that is when he strikes at her, explaining the blood in the child's nursery. She then runs to the kitchen and has enough time to open a phone book to the emergency numbers as well as pulling the phone off the hook, she is struck once more causing a scuffle in the kitchen (maybe she tried to run for a kitchen knife for defence?). The two fight back and forth through the house until Joan makes a run for help trying to get to her neighbour's house, she doesn't make it because she is grabbed and stuffed into a getaway vehicle before anyone can so much as hear her call for help.

This is only what I think, there are many other theories on what happened that day and what happened to Joan so I'm going to leave a link to The Charley Project page for Joan and a youtube video by content creator Cayleigh Elise better explaining Joan's case and differing theories about what happened to her.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/r/risch_joan.html
[video=youtube;iJXmFfHhkLU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJXmFfHhkLU[/video]

Teghan Skiba -- NC -- 4 years old - Tortured terribly, raped & died from her injuries, in July, 2010. Her killer, Jonathan Richardson (boyfriend of Skiba's mother), then 21 y/o, finally took her to the local ER and said she had fallen out of bed. Doctors & nurses said she was covered head to foot with bites, burns, electric wire whipping, bruises, etc., etc. -- there were no areas where she was not injured. She died after being sent to a university hospital trauma center. Even her attending physician was in tears when he testified against Richardson.

Richardson was tried & convicted of 1st Deg. Murder, sex offense of child by adult, 1st Degree Kidnapping of a minor, & child abuse. He is on NC's Death Row.

The very worst.
This case haunts me of what she went through. Because that could of been my sister of what we went through as a child. Rot in hell monster!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

The double murder case of Clyda Dulaney and Nancy Warren, on 13 October 1968 near Ukiah, CA. http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?314409-CA-Clyda-Dulaney-Nancy-Warren-Mendocino-County-13-October-1968&highlight=Mendocino

Could they have been the original victims of the Manson Family? Or was Clyda's angry ex-husband responsible? Her new common-law husband, a CHP sergeant, was also suspected. And there is always the possibility that it was a stranger homicide. This is a very puzzling case of the murder of an 8 month pregnant mother-to-be and her grandmother.

This is a solved case, but the murder of 8-yr-old Maddie Clifton in 1998 still haunts me. She had gone missing early one week, and that Saturday AM I was watching the news, and they were asking for volunteers to go help search for her. I had never done anything like that before, but since I didn't have any plans, I went down to help.

We were divided into groups of 10 or so people to search different areas. I was in a group with 14-yr-old Josh Phillips and his parents. I watched him look around like everyone else and didn't think much about it. At the time, another neighbor down the street was considered a person of interest, but Josh's dad told a few of us why he thought that man couldn't have done it because of the time frame of when he saw that man outside when he himself got home from work. He went through a whole timeline of that evening for us.

The next Tuesday AM, they found Maddie's body inside Josh's water bed. I got sick to my stomach when I heard, and I still get chills when I think about it. It was such a tragedy.

I wonder what his new sentence will be since his attorney won him an appeal to be granted a new sentencing hearing. Because now they say life without parole for juveniles is unconstitutional.

I haven't found this mentioned anywhere on here but the murder of Rose Berkert and Roger Atkison.

https://iowacoldcases.org/case-summaries/rose-burkert-and-roger-atkison/

This ended up on my radar because of an Iowa Cold Case page I liked on Facebook popped up the day I got married. It happened on the same day in the same state and it happened shortly before I was born. Those few connections caused me to start reading about this, as well as contact someone who has worked on the case for years. I've probably read all there is to read about this and can't even imagine never knowing the truth.

The brutality of this murder along with the strange details and numerous suspects...this case is what brought me here and it has given me nightmares for two years.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grammy 4
Back