FL FL - Ace Kimberly & his 3 kids missing off coast near Englewood, 21 June 2016

If I'm counting correct, we are up to 9 life jackets? 6 initially found. One on the body😞, and now 2 more? Perhaps there is hope that they had unknown number of jackets, and the flare? My fingers and toes are crossed.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

#UPDATE
11:37am eastern time

@USCGSoutheast crews located second kayak & witnessed white flare during search goo.gl/qEriVR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 23 2016, 11:42 am ET

Possible Flare Spotted in Search for Family Whose Sailboat Went Missing

by Elizabeth Chuck

The Coast Guard spotted what it thinks may have been a flare while searching for a father and three teens whose impaired sailboat went missing — raising a small ray of hope that some of them could be alive.

A helicopter "saw what they believed to be a media flare raise for about three seconds in the search area" at about 2:30 a.m. Thursday, Coast Guard Sector Commander Gregory Case told reporters. "We have been covering that area since last night and into today."

It was also spotted by a Coast Guard response boat, Case said. But he acknowledged officials weren't sure it was a flare.

"It could be anything ... plane light reflections," he said...

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ch-family-whose-sailboat-went-missing-n597661

I am local for this one. Can't believe our waters would get that rough. I can't believe the kids weren't in school. Sad story

From the Coast Guard:

[FONT=&quot]At 11:06 a.m. Thursday Cape Coral Fire and Rescue recovered a second body 4 miles southeast of location of first body. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]At 11:55 a.m. a Customs and Boarder Protection aircraft located a sailboat mast 101 miles offshore Fort Myers, Florida. The Coast Guard Cutter Alligator is en route to investigate.

:( :([/FONT]

[video=twitter;746040425660751872]https://twitter.com/USCGSoutheast/status/746040425660751872[/video]

[video=twitter;746040425660751872]https://twitter.com/USCGSoutheast/status/746040425660751872[/video]

I wonder how far that was from the flare spotting @2:40 this morning. Awful to hear that they found a bucket with birth certificates and a wallet. Their lives just strewn in the ocean.

I wonder how far that was from the flare spotting @2:40 this morning. Awful to hear that they found a bucket with birth certificates and a wallet. Their lives just strewn in the ocean.

CG just clarified that the photo was taken the day before they headed to Fort Myers:

#UPDATE@USCGSoutheast releases photo taken Saturday of missing family on their 29-foot sailboat.

ETA: Sorry, hit save too soon. I just checked the last media release with a time line and there's no location info on the entry for flare sighting. I haven't checked any MSM though. It's been tough following this today.

CG just clarified that the photo was taken the day before they headed to Fort Myers:

#UPDATE@USCGSoutheast releases photo taken Saturday of missing family on their 29-foot sailboat.

ETA: Sorry, hit save too soon. I just checked the last media release with a time line and there's no location info on the entry for flare sighting. I haven't checked any MSM though. It's been tough following this today.

I was thinking about area where they found the body and area where they saw the flare, not the picture of the boat. (sorry if I was unclear.) I think I recall that the flare mention was on a timeline. from Coast Guard press release:
At 2:26 a.m. Thursday a Jayhawk crew and a 45-foot Response Boat-Medium boatcrew witnessed a white flare while conducting the search. http://d7.uscgnews.com/go/doc/4007/2858246/

An hour and 11 minutes after they found the latest kayak. And body was found this late this morning.

Such a small boat to be living on. Prayers that someone survived this.

I am local for this one. Can't believe our waters would get that rough. I can't believe the kids weren't in school. Sad story

Wouldn't school be out in FL by this time? It's my understanding that most schools in the south close in mid- to late-May.

Wouldn't school be out in FL by this time? It's my understanding that most schools in the south close in mid- to late-May.

Yes but there was post and report earlier that they were not enrolled in school or homeschooling in Sarasota.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

None of this makes sense to me at all. I am really sad for the family, but simply don't understand why the father took the boat out into the Gulf when it was in such bad shape? Why did he not do weather research prior to going out? And why didn't he just drive the boat down to Fort Myers instead of taking it out if it was in that bad of shape? Maybe they don't have a vehicle? Does the brother have a vehicle? Speaking of the brother, I am really stunned that he waited so long to report them missing.

It's so tragic.

Such a small boat to be living on. Prayers that someone survived this.

So tragic.:cry:

I'm sailboat-challenged, so please help. How did an adult and three teenagers live on that small boat?? My only sailboat experiences are when I was a kid at camp one year (much smaller than this boat) and watching Dead Calm dozens of times (Billy Zane! :loveyou: ).

None of this makes sense to me at all. I am really sad for the family, but simply don't understand why the father took the boat out into the Gulf when it was in such bad shape? Why did he not do weather research prior to going out? And why didn't he just drive the boat down to Fort Myers instead of taking it out if it was in that bad of shape? Maybe they don't have a vehicle? Does the brother have a vehicle? Speaking of the brother, I am really stunned that he waited so long to report them missing.

It's so tragic.

was there some reporting on what specific repairs it needed? i have not seen any.

So tragic.:cry:

I'm sailboat-challenged, so please help. How did an adult and three teenagers live on that small boat?? My only sailboat experiences are when I was a kid at camp one year (much smaller than this boat) and watching Dead Calm dozens of times (Billy Zane! :loveyou: ).

[video=youtube;Fh5wsRF6nME]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh5wsRF6nME[/video]

The only reasons I can see the father taking the boat by sea for repairs instead of driving would be because he has neither a truck nor a trailer.The other thing I speculate as to taking the kids(teens) in a boat in poor condition is he needed them to help in sailing it. I was wondering about the boat being found so far out and not staying close to shore and he had no navigation system with the poor condition of the boat became worse and drifted with currents/winds out to sea.
I pray they are found alive.

Jun 23 2016, 11:42 am ET

Possible Flare Spotted in Search for Family Whose Sailboat Went Missing

by Elizabeth Chuck

The Coast Guard spotted what it thinks may have been a flare while searching for a father and three teens whose impaired sailboat went missing — raising a small ray of hope that some of them could be alive.

A helicopter "saw what they believed to be a media flare raise for about three seconds in the search area" at about 2:30 a.m. Thursday, Coast Guard Sector Commander Gregory Case told reporters. "We have been covering that area since last night and into today."

It was also spotted by a Coast Guard response boat, Case said. But he acknowledged officials weren't sure it was a flare.

"It could be anything ... plane light reflections," he said...

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ch-family-whose-sailboat-went-missing-n597661

when the CG spotted the flare, did they go investigate it or assume it was something else? i would assume since they knew of the missing family, they would have gone looking in that area

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rodrickheffley
Back