Iraq - Baghdad Car bombs target shopping districts, 126 dead, July 2016

CARIIS

Former Member
Reaction score
Iraq's capital was once again the scene of bloody carnage this weekend, with two separate car bombs killing at least 126 people.

The first detonation occurred Saturday on a busy shopping street in the central Baghdad neighborhood of Karrada, killing 125 people -- including 25 children -- and wounding 147 others, police said.
Firefighting crews pulled injured and trapped people from adjacent buildings damaged in the massive blast, including a coffee shop, stores and a gym.

CNN

, this is Sun nobody cares if news happens on Sun -- anyone know where someone is live ? So we can find out what the heck is happening over there??

Dear Anderson,

Vacation over - this is a story-- in light of the last three days and tommorow MOO

Brook - get your mike

Erin get your mike

Trust me Walter would be on air by now

They are doing something about money - while the joint is being blown up -- I think it is fair (Not Pulse- I am unable not to say that sorry!) to say that obviouly someone is getting down moo

Makes me sooooooo

Most killed thus far this year

25 kids dead

CNN all

Head of country tried to visit this am everyone is so mad at him for lack of security they threw rocks and he had to leave.

may be one female bomber

busy shopping district in Baghdad.
F

watch the Euro 2016 soccer tournament in a cafe when a suicide car bomb exploded, ripping through a multi-level building that also housed stores and a gym.

At least 147 were injured.

A second bomb exploded Sunday at an outdoor market in the Shaab neighborhood of southeastern Baghdad, killing one person and wounding five others, police said

e.
It was the deadliest bombing in Iraq since 2007

Many of the car bombers and suicide bombers who have plagued the capital for years are from Falluja, about an hour away.

we can't even go out at night and enjoy life in our city," according to CNN Senior International Correspondent Ben

The attacks came just days after massacres at a cafe in Dhaka, Bangladesh and at the Ataturk International Airport in Istanbul, Turkey.

Recent surge

Baghdad has witnessed a surge in the number of deadly car bomb attacks in recent weeks, with ISIS claiming responsibility for many of them.
One of the deadliest incidents occurred in Sadr City on May 17, when a car packed with explosives detonated killing at least 24 people and wounding 71 others, according to security officials.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/02/middleeast/baghdad-car-bombs/index.html

[video=youtube;CtncJCE7i3M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtncJCE7i3M[/video]

Nearly 120 people were killed and 200 wounded in two bombings overnight in Baghdad, most of them in a busy shopping area as residents celebrated Ramadan, police and medical sources said on Sunday.

[...]

Reuters TV footage taken in the morning showed at least four buildings severely damaged or partly collapsed, including a shopping mall believed to be the target, and gutted cars scattered all around.

The toll climbed during the day as rescuers pulled out more bodies from under the rubble and people succumbed from their injuries.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-mideast-crisis-iraq-blast-idUSKCN0ZJ017

For the third time in a week terrorists carried out a mass slaughter of civilians - with ISIS claiming responsibility for each attack.

The deadliest terror attack killed 125 people, including 25 children, Saturday evening in a busy shopping district in Baghdad.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/02/middleeast/baghdad-car-bombs/

the 27th day of Ramadan, the "Night of Power," which is a particularly sacred day for the world's Muslims as it was the time that the Prophet Mohammed started receiving the first verses of the Koran

This year, the 27th day of Ramadan fell on July 2. This is the same day that the ISIS attackers in Bangladesh completed their massacre at the restaurant in Dhaka. The militants were all killed by Bengali forces.

ethal terrorist attacks in Bangladesh, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Yemen, and also, very likely, in Turkey.

did not know other day was
the most lethal terrorist attack ever at an airport.

CBS 40 min ago guy arrested in AZ "on govt buildings "

This year, the 27th day of Ramadan fell on July 2. This is the same day that the ISIS attackers in Bangladesh completed their massacre at the restaurant in Dhaka. The militants were all killed by Bengali forces.
time zones i guess : The 27th day of Ramadan is also the same day that ISIS launched the attack that killed at least 125 in Baghdad.

Turkey has also allowed the United States to fly bombing missions aimed at ISIS from airports on Turkish soil.

battlefield losses may serve to accelerate ISIS-directed and -inspired attacks outside of Iraq and Syria.

[FONT=&amp]June 29, 2016 at 10:39 AM

[FONT=&amp]
Scenes from an ISIS video show images of the Las Vegas strip.
Leada Gore | lgore@al.com
Las Vegas and San Francisco have been singled out in a new ISIS video.
The 10 minute video, released through ISIS social media, shows images of a car driving across the Golden GateBridge, as well as pictures taken around the city's crowded Financial District. Other images show scenesfrom the Las Vegas

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2016/06/las_vegas_san_francisco_threat.html[/FONT]
[/FONT]

[video=youtube;-fK8y3bBQfI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fK8y3bBQfI[/video]

Just trying to get us some video, since everyone at US news outlets seem to want to run tape of how to make money!!!

MOO this needs to be covered, just cause of the last three days moo

[video=youtube;nWz-mWVjH8Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWz-mWVjH8Q[/video]

9 June 2016: At least 30 people killed in and around Baghdad in two suicide attacks claimed by IS

17 May 2016: Four bomb blasts kill 69 people in Baghdad; three of the targets were Shia areas

11 May 2016: Car bombs in Baghdad kill 93 people, including 64 in market in Shia district of Sadr City

1 May 2016: Two car bombs kill at least 33 people in southern city of Samawa

26 March 2016: Suicide attack targets football match in central city of Iskandariya, killing at least 32

6 March 2016: Fuel tanker blown up at checkpoint near central city of Hilla, killing 47

28 February 2016: Twin suicide bomb attacks hit market in Sadr City, killing 70

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-36696568

Which sect is larger, and where is each concentrated?

More than 85 percent of the world’s 1.5 billion Muslims are Sunni. They live across the Arab world, as well as in countries like Turkey, Pakistan, India, Bangladesh, Malaysia and Indonesia. Iran, Iraq and Bahrain are largely Shiite. The Saudi royal family, which practices an austere and conservative strand of Sunni Islam known as Wahhabism, controls Islam’s holiest shrines, Mecca and Medina. Karbala, Kufa and Najaf in Iraq are revered shrines for the Shiites.​

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/04/w...-how-do-sunni-and-shia-islam-differ.html?_r=0

As if I will ever understand any of it.

More than 85 percent of the world’s 1.5 billion Muslims are Sunni. They live across the Arab world, as well as in countries like Turkey, Pakistan, India, Bangladesh, Malaysia and Indonesia. Iran, Iraq and Bahrain are largely Shiite. The Saudi royal family, which practices an austere and conservative strand of Sunni Islam known as Wahhabism, controls Islam’s holiest shrines, Mecca and Medina. Karbala, Kufa and Najaf in Iraq are revered shrines for the Shiites.​

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/04/w...-how-do-sunni-and-shia-islam-differ.html?_r=0

In a way, it's like Catholics and Protestants in Ireland and Northern Ireland. At any rate, when there are attacks between the two, as in what are called 'The Troubles' in Northern Ireland, it's interesting to note that nobody blames Christianity in general.

I'm still working on Greek Orthodox vs. Eastern Orthodox vs. Russian Orthodox vs. Ukrainian Orthodox. :)

I'm still working on Greek Orthodox vs. Eastern Orthodox vs. Russian Orthodox vs. Ukrainian Orthodox. :)

Into the mix, add Serbian Orthodox, Coptic Orthodox, and a slew of others. Mind you, they're all pretty 'Netflix/websleuths and chill' with each other. Though they do have some differences in rituals (e.g., the Serbs stand up throughout their services.). (Eastern Orthodox is a catch-all expression for all of them, so far as I'm aware.)

In a way, it's like Catholics and Protestants in Ireland and Northern Ireland. At any rate, when there are attacks between the two, as in what are called 'The Troubles' in Northern Ireland, it's interesting to note that nobody blames Christianity in general.

And the earlier wars for religious supremacy in Europe.

Une foi, une loi, un roi.

Seems appropriate in the context of this holiday weekend to give a nod of appreciation to the learned men of enlightenment who saw the wisdom in separating une loi from une foi.

No one blames Islam in general, either. Just blame the ones who are involved in the attacks (every step) that have perverted a religion for their own twisted purposes.

No one blames Islam in general, either. Just blame the ones who are involved in the attacks (every step) that have perverted a religion for their own twisted purposes.

Except for perhaps this incident in Ohio the other day:

US apologizes over arrest of businessman who was mistaken for a terrorist in Ohio while wearing traditional Arab robes
~ US apologized for arrest of a businessman who was mistaken for terrorist
~ Emirati national Ahmed al-Menhali was detained at gunpoint by Ohio police
~ He was wearing traditional Arab robes when mistaken for member of IS
~ Ministry of Foreign Affairs said it had summoned the US Deputy Chief of Mission Ethan Goldrich over the incident, and he apologized
~ The 41-year-old man was released once the mistake was realized but had to be hospitalized after he fainted at the scene
~ Foreign Ministry Twitter account focusing on citizens traveling abroad posted message urging its citizens to be safe by avoiding traditional dress

By VALERIE EDWARDS FOR DAILYMAIL.COM and QIN XIE FOR MAILONLINE
PUBLISHED: 17:34 EST, 3 July 2016 | UPDATED: 18:53 EST, 3 July 2016

The US has apologized for the arrest of a businessman who was mistaken for a terrorist because he was wearing traditional Arab robes while in Ohio.

Emirati national Ahmed al-Menhali was detained at gunpoint last week after he was mistakenly held as an Islamic State (IS) suspect by police at a local hotel in Ohio.

In a statement, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said it had summoned the US Deputy Chief of Mission Ethan Goldrich over the incident, and he apologized.​

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ing-traditional-Arab-robes.html#ixzz4DOapfHDU

Story and videos.

I wanted to ask this earlier, but the question was too hard!! In terms of the last 72 hours, are the locations similiar hate - or diverse. AInt smart enough to ask it other than like this. BLue hates red. Were all the attacks the past 3 days blue againist red, or has this been blue and red, and green and blue with no real connections ....etc

I hope this makes sense??

Oh my, just like Mont post - that is so not the case. That is why the Pulse thread was split in two (thank god or mods ha!) .

It was horrible I felt like I was living in Alabama in the 50's. And a Africian Americian . Mortifying, truly. Reading that kinda stuff - I thought what a moron I am - to somehow be surprised by what had been written .

Dumb me. It was a sad wake up call for me . UGH

Scary scary stuff IMO

Your posts are so good. I was reading this I was getting anxious - in my head it was like please dont let Pulse be on here- and you did not let me down!!!!

When I got to end of the post - it was like "too smart to even go there!!" TY!

Oh my, just like Mont post - that is so not the case. That is why the Pulse thread was split in two (thank god or mods ha!) .

It was horrible I felt like I was living in Alabama in the 50's. And a Africian Americian . Mortifying, truly. Reading that kinda stuff - I thought what a moron I am - to somehow be surprised by what had been written .

Dumb me. It was a sad wake up call for me . UGH

Scary scary stuff IMO

If saying this boots me from here, so be it -- but I'm basically mortified by what I've seen posted here, and not deleted. If saying this means I must be removed, so be it. I can't abide by it, and I've done all that I can within the reasonable rules of this site. I am very worried about what is going on here, and beyond.

Only in the context of the last 72 hours two things:

Am I the only one that thinks this should have been covered?

Am I the only one that finds cable news going on vacation every Sat and SUnday, no matter what?

Fine your all stars are vacationing- bring in the secondary string - but to just program like nothing is going on is just off to me

am I alone in this thinking??

My thing about today is in context at least IMO(!) to the recent events (not Pulse).

Really beginning to think tomm might be something bad if this does really connect to the other two , and Ramadon etc

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back