Found Deceased FL - Lane Graves, 2, Walt Disney World, 14 June 2016 #2

http://news10.com/2016/06/24/report...kes-characters-from-rides-after-gator-attack/

Walt Disney World is removing reptile jokes and characters from rides and attractions after an alligator grabbed and killed a 2-year-old boy last week.

Cartoon alligators and crocodiles have been removed from shows and parades, and a popular one-liner warning parents to watch their children or “the crocodiles will” is no longer told on the Jungle Cruise ride at the Magic Kingdom.

A trumpet-playing alligator from “The Princess and the Frog” was removed from the summer’s Mickey’s Royal Friendship Faire Castle Show at Magic Kingdom before the premiere earlier this month. Disney announced in February that “Goofy has invited Tiana, Naveen and Louis to add a little spice of New Orleans jazz to the party.” Tiana, Naveen and Louis — the musically inclined alligator — are all characters in the 2009 Disney film “The Princess and the Frog.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...f-alligators-crocodiles-after-toddlers-death/

Cartoon alligators and crocodiles have been removed from shows and parades, and a popular one-liner warning parents to watch their children or “the crocodiles will” is no longer told on the Jungle Cruise ride at the Magic Kingdom.

A trumpet-playing alligator from “The Princess and the Frog” was removed from the summer’s Mickey’s Royal Friendship Faire Castle Show at Magic Kingdom before the premiere earlier this month. Disney announced in February that “Goofy has invited Tiana, Naveen and Louis to add a little spice of New Orleans jazz to the party.” Tiana, Naveen and Louis — the musically inclined alligator — are all characters in the 2009 Disney film “The Princess and the Frog.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...f-alligators-crocodiles-after-toddlers-death/

I like Louis. :-(

Wth. Why would the Disney jungle cruise stop showing the fake aligators while still showing other animals. Wth.

That makes no sense. Jmo.

Thats like a zoo stopping the showing of lions due to a previous lion attack that took place down the street and did not come from the actual park or zoo. Jmo

Btw. THE aligators on the tour are fake. Jmo.

So will they now ban the Cars Show if a kid gets hit by a car in the parking lot. Wth

I know right? Disney to demonize alligators! They are animals. It was HUMAN error (lack of warnings) that caused this tragedy, not wildlife.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I know right? Disney to demonize alligators! They are animals. It was HUMAN error (lack of warnings) that caused this tragedy, not wildlife.

Might as well remove all references to water while they are at it. So over the top idiocy on their part. What's next, pulling Peter Pan, and Princess and the frog from their DVD sales?

I accidentally replied to myself instead of editing in my haste to address this silliness.

Personally, I am okay with them removing that joke on the jungle cruise. It's in poor taste at the moment.

Are they actually removing the fake alligators? I didn't read that.

It's okay to remove them from the parade and the Jungle cruise for now, but are they going to edit out the Princess and the Frog movie, that's a little bit extreme and silly...
Aren't there also alligators in Splash Mountain, or is that only Disneyland?

Father says he was attacked by second alligator as he tried to save his son

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...attacked-second-reptile-battled-save-son.html

"On the way to the hospital, Graves shared 'the horror that he experienced' as his son was being dragged into the lagoon and 'how another gator attacked him as he fought for his son,' Wellons told his superiors.
'This incredibly sweet couple insisted on showing us pictures of their happy son. [The] mom kept referring to him as her 'happy boy,' he added."

Ok, I think that's silly. Reptiles exist. They did right by adding danger signs, but this PC stuff is just overboard. Jmo

I have lost any interest in going to Florida. I bet it has for many. I bet they don't want any reminders of the 1 million alligators there.

I have lost any interest in going to Florida. I bet it has for many. I bet they don't want any reminders of the 1 million alligators there.

Anywhere you go there are going to be animals, insects, etc that could cause injury or an incident to happen. Obviously that's your choice, but avoiding a place that's known for that type of wildlife doesn't seem reasonable for most. But again my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think Disney are being "PC". I think they're simply showing some sensitivity after a horrible tragedy that could have been prevented if they'd done before what they've scrambled to do since (the signs and fences). Maybe the staff didn't feel comfortable with seeing constant reminders of what happened. They might feel some guilt and responsibility, it may be misplaced guilt but guilt nonetheless. Certainly the response from Disney appears to come from genuine apology and sadness to me, not simply one of fear of causing offense.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

I spent a couple of days in the WDW parks this week and I must say, the crowds seemed a little thin compared to previous years. I really don't believe the drop in numbers is directly related to only the alligator attack, in fact, I think the Pulse shooting may have changed many more peoples' plans than the gator incident. Perhaps some WDW visitors are foregoing a day a theme park to pay respects at the many memorials across Orlando.
In the long run, I don't think the tragic loss of this child will have a big impact on Disney's operations or their tourist-drawing ability. There will be a large pay out to the family for sure. Less ambiguous signage has already been erected and I saw a new type of uniformed crew of people in a black pontoon in a lagoon...I wonder if this is a beefed-up gator patrol?

With 52,000,000 visitors per year there are going to be accidents, but I think Disney will ensure the likelihood of a gator attack will be much less than ever before.

And for the record the real life Nile crocodiles at Animal Kingdom are still on display on the Safari ride and for the moment, the Peter Pan ride still has it's croc.

Father says he was attacked by second alligator as he tried to save his son

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...attacked-second-reptile-battled-save-son.html

"On the way to the hospital, Graves shared 'the horror that he experienced' as his son was being dragged into the lagoon and 'how another gator attacked him as he fought for his son,' Wellons told his superiors.
'This incredibly sweet couple insisted on showing us pictures of their happy son. [The] mom kept referring to him as her 'happy boy,' he added."

How heart breaking. I wish every article didn't have different information. This one says Lane was paddling just ten feet from the shore

My hub wants to move there. I'm petrified of the storms down there.

I spent a couple of days in the WDW parks this week and I must say, the crowds seemed a little thin compared to previous years. I really don't believe the drop in numbers is directly related to only the alligator attack, in fact, I think the Pulse shooting may have changed many more peoples' plans than the gator incident. Perhaps some WDW visitors are foregoing a day a theme park to pay respects at the many memorials across Orlando.
In the long run, I don't think the tragic loss of this child will have a big impact on Disney's operations or their tourist-drawing ability. There will be a large pay out to the family for sure. Less ambiguous signage has already been erected and I saw a new type of uniformed crew of people in a black pontoon in a lagoon...I wonder if this is a beefed-up gator patrol?

With 52,000,000 visitors per year there are going to be accidents, but I think Disney will ensure the likelihood of a gator attack will be much less than ever before.

And for the record the real life Nile crocodiles at Animal Kingdom are still on display on the Safari ride and for the moment, the Peter Pan ride still has it's croc.

I wish we knew if WD numbers are down since the attack.

A few weeks have past but this tragedy isn't any less horrifying than when it happened I can't imagine what Lane's parents are going through. I hope they can continue living life as best they can despite being heartbroken. I'm glad measures are being taken to prevent this horrendous event reoccurring.

How heart breaking. I wish every article didn't have different information. This one says Lane was paddling just ten feet from the shore

My hub wants to move there. I'm petrified of the storms down there.

I wish we knew if WD numbers are down since the attack.

The next quarterly report for their financials on the stock market may speak to such.

I just came back from Fla., we took one of our grandchildren w/us. Had a wonderful time. We saw two baby gators at one of those big fruit stands. That was it. But we were never near fresh water and I always check the pool in Fla. before we get in. However, in past years when we went to Fla., and I've been going to Fla. on vacation for decades now, as well as other places, I've seen plenty of gators, when I was near their habitat, which is most often, fresh water, near banks, and reedy areas. I've seen them at other Florida tourist spots other than Disney (us being the tourists) lying around the fresh water areas. When I was a child, and went to Fla., you rarely ever saw one b/c they were endangered. Well, that's changed. They won't lift them from the endangered list b/c they say they look too much like the American Crocodile (which is endangered). If you can't tell the difference in the two then you shouldn't be hunting in the first place. However, I digress, if you don't want to go to Fla. b/c of the number of alligators, then I'd recommend not going to Louisiana either b/c they have even more than Fla. You might also want to strike Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, Mississippi, and Texas off of your list too. It is absolutely horrific what happened to that little boy. I can't even imagine what he felt, it is heartbreaking, and what his parents are still feeling, is just beyond what I can imagine, but, the fact is, that we live in conjunction with wild animals in may places. Bears are coming back to the area here. I'd never heard of a bear in these parts and two were caught on film rambling around just recently. I'm now going to be more cautious. A wild animal jumped out at us on our property not long ago, thankfully my dog was with me and was capable of taking care of the matter. But you are more likely to be killed by a dog, a snake or in a car collision than by an alligator. Even cows kill more people each year than alligators. We can't cry save this species, or save that species, and then not understand why they are in areas that they consider "home". Gators can even climb fences if they want into somewhere badly enough. Again, I feel for this family, especially the little boy. But to demonize Fla., or Disney, b/c gators were in fresh water doing what gators do, I just can't go there. I can't blame the parents either. It was just a horrible tragedy. Sometimes horrible tragedies just happen.

I know very little about Florida and even less about alligators but those Disney lagoons...are they bodies of water that are enclosed or do they have entry from rivers? I am just wondering if the gators have always lived and bred there or if they can come and go from other areas; if they can, maybe climate changes are causing more to migrate into certain areas more now than before. Or, maybe climate changes are doing something to their food supply that is making them make moves on humans more now than they would normally.

Something is going on; something different than in past years. Alligators are in abundance in Florida and we have always heard of an attack here and there but it seems now that the attacks are happening with more frequency in areas where they were not so prevalent in the past.

jmo

I know very little about Florida and even less about alligators but those Disney lagoons...are they bodies of water that are enclosed or do they have entry from rivers? I am just wondering if the gators have always lived and bred there or if they can come and go from other areas; if they can, maybe climate changes are causing more to migrate into certain areas more now than before. Or, maybe climate changes are doing something to their food supply that is making them make moves on humans more now than they would normally.

Something is going on; something different than in past years. Alligators are in abundance in Florida and we have always heard of an attack here and there but it seems now that the attacks are happening with more frequency in areas where they were not so prevalent in the past.

jmo

They're just getting overpopulated with them, mostly b/c they won't relieve the endangered species lift on them, also they move more at different times of the year, say when they need to find a new spot, in a dry spell, they'll go find it. Some may have made it through tiny areas, such as a grate, when they were tiny and then grow larger, until, how'd THAT get in there? They are faster than people think too. People really take them for granted. They toss them food, pose near them, all the stuff you shouldn't do, and gators tend to stay where there's easy food. (Not the case in this family's instance, but I'd guess those gators had been tossed scraps before.) I was on an air-boat, sitting stationary, and one swam up and launched itself out of the water, and halfway onto the front of the boat! Why? Some of the air-boat people had been tossing snacks to them and this one was out for a snack. They can even, and I'm serious, climb a chain link fence. I think folks think they're just slow and lazy and just don't expect them to be in ponds near populated areas. Even Fla. natives get complacent around them and get bitten, or worse, on occasion.

Personally, I am not satisfied with the answer Disney has given on whether they caught the actual alligator that attacked this child.
I cannot quote exactly, my mind went blank, it was something like, we think we got it, we euthanized five alligators. The investigation is over.

From this, it sounds like they did not get it! Think is not a yes or no answer. The ME has the bite marks range and teeth impressions from dad too.

Why doesn't Disney be a bit more proactive and capture more of the big gators out of the lagoon around their beach areas? Is it just a matter of time until the lagoon becomes too dangerous due to the alligator population? I think Disney needs to be designing a major overhaul / renovation as to how they will block the lagoon off from their property. These critters are hard to contain, however, as it stands they have a walk-on ability to much of Disney property. What was once a pretty feature, the lagoon and bay, has now become a liability. It is not going to get any better!

My opinions only.

Personally, I am not satisfied with the answer Disney has given on whether they caught the actual alligator that attacked this child.
I cannot quote exactly, my mind went blank, it was something like, we think we got it, we euthanized five alligators. The investigation is over.

From this, it sounds like they did not get it! Think is not a yes or no answer. The ME has the bite marks range and teeth impressions from dad too.

Why doesn't Disney be a bit more proactive and capture more of the big gators out of the lagoon around their beach areas? Is it just a matter of time until the lagoon becomes too dangerous due to the alligator population? I think Disney needs to be designing a major overhaul / renovation as to how they will block the lagoon off from their property. These critters are hard to contain, however, as it stands they have a walk-on ability to much of Disney property. What was once a pretty feature, the lagoon and bay, has now become a liability. It is not going to get any better!

My opinions only.

Florida Fish & Wildlife is confident that they (Florida Fish & Wildlife) did.
http://myfwc.com/news/news-releases/2016/june/22/post-investigation/

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eagerhuntress