LA - Officer fatally shoots Alton Sterling outside store, Baton Rouge, 2016

Not sure why it took him five days of thinking about it, but, his decision to recuse himself seems to me to be a good thing.

Missed the press conference. So the only news was that the DA has recused himself?

bbm sbm I've read similar stmts about minority parents having "The Talk" w their children about how to behave at traffic stops or during other contact w LEOs. I have no doubt many minority families have such discussions.

In talking w neighbors, co-workers, friends over the years, many white parents have said they had have multiple discussions along the same line: be cooperative, say yes officer, no officer, accept any warning or ticket from LEO, must wait to dispute in court, etc. Kids, esp teens, out & about, driving or otherwise not in the immediate watchful eyes of parents may very well be tempted to be sass back/be a smart aleck/show off for friends, etc, in the presence of LEOs.

BTW, have heard women admonish their husbands about tendency to be confrontational w LEOs.:thinking: Maybe goes in the opposite direction for some couples. IDK. JM2cts.

Yep, it's something most parents do, not just teach their kids how to respond to police but to all authority figures. The big difference is what could go wrong (a few hours in jail vs serious bodily harm and death) and the discussions that are ongoing, as black kids hear about what's happened to other black kids and young adults, including family members. We have statistics piled on top of statistics proving beyond a doubt that blacks are the subjects of stop and frisk and traffic stops far more often than any other group and that they are dealt with more harshly. Plus there are countless accounts reported by black professionals, including police officers and even police chiefs about their being stopped numerous times because something was supposedly wrong with their vehicles.

Many white kids hearing about unfair policing and police using excessive force don't wonder if it could happen to them too, they don't ask why a young black man, even pinned to the ground, is shot repeatedly, or why a white man resisting arrest likely ends up with a mugshot and the black man a funeral. If they ask their parents, odds are a significant number of parents dismiss their concerns with stereotypes and implications the young man must have done something to justify the treatment he received, or sweep it away with racial slurs, effectively denying the humanity and civil rights of all black victims. White parents are likely not faced with kids who are terrified, in tears, and/or livid over these incidents. Many white parents won't hesitate to reassure their child that it will not happen to them -- unless the cops are on high alert or jumpy, a temporary situation.

It's not a temporary situation for black parents and children. They're dealing with this on top of all the other racism they have to cope with and in a society that continues to try to deny that institutional racism exists. (Racism by the Numbers, Institutional Racism is Our Way of Life)

As far as Baton Rouge goes, they have a worse reputation for excessive force, including toward whites, and overt racism than many cities. Googling Baton Rouge + excessive force leaves no doubt, nor does the police chief's support of his officers' actions after they've been convicted in court. The PD considered it a "victory," despite their officer sentenced to federal prison for over six years, because they didn't have to pay the $200,000+ the court awarded his victim.

The BBC: Baton Rouge killing: Black Lives Matter protest photo hailed as 'legendary'

attachment.php

On Sunday, dozens of protesters were arrested in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, where a black man was killed by police last Tuesday.In an atmosphere of heightened racial tension, and amid growing debate over the seeming militarisation of American police, one photo has stood out.

It was taken by Jonathan Bachman, a New Orleans-based photographer who has been working for Reuters in the past few days.​

Her name wasn't known when the photo went viral and the BBC published it. She's Leshia Evans, a nurse and mother of a 5 year old boy.

Attachments

• 14682213466835.jpg
    14682213466835.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 118
Protesters on a public sidewalk and on private property with permission, police move in anyway

Here's What It's Actually Like at the #BlackLivesMatter Protests in Baton Rouge Right Now

Multiple sources report that the #BlackLivesMatter protests in Baton Rouge have been very peaceful this week, yet police presence has been excessive and many officers unnecessarily violent. ...

Shot by 22-year-old journalist Elizabeth Thomas, the video depicts a terrifying police barricade closing in on a group of peaceful protesters, before the officers suddenly turn violent and start arresting people out of nowhere. ...

"The protests have been extremely peaceful," Thomas said. "It's funny because until the Dallas shootings, there was minimal police presence at all. I was at a march on Friday at the Triple S Food Mart where Alton Sterling died, and there were no police."

[video=youtube;IwK-E1iC2v8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwK-E1iC2v8[/video]​

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/politic...es-matter-elizabeth-thomas-video-baton-rouge/

Protesters on a public sidewalk and on private property with permission, police move in anyway

Here's What It's Actually Like at the #BlackLivesMatter Protests in Baton Rouge Right Now

Multiple sources report that the #BlackLivesMatter protests in Baton Rouge have been very peaceful this week, yet police presence has been excessive and many officers unnecessarily violent. ...

Shot by 22-year-old journalist Elizabeth Thomas, the video depicts a terrifying police barricade closing in on a group of peaceful protesters, before the officers suddenly turn violent and start arresting people out of nowhere. ...

"The protests have been extremely peaceful," Thomas said. "It's funny because until the Dallas shootings, there was minimal police presence at all. I was at a march on Friday at the Triple S Food Mart where Alton Sterling died, and there were no police."

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/politic...es-matter-elizabeth-thomas-video-baton-rouge/
Unbelievable. I'm at a loss for words. This is the USA, right?

After Dallas did anyone really expect the cops to show up in their shirt sleeves? The link posted earlier depicted something more than 'very peaceful'. Throwing chunks of cement at the officers is peaceful? Showing up in force at the police department headquarters again after Dallas and after all the 'Purge' crap that went around social media?

I sure am glad my sons did not choose criminal justice as their field of study and I salute the men and women who have and their families as well.

Does the tenant have the right to give permission for a protest on private property that doesn't belong to them? Do we know if the landlord gave permission?

It is incredible. :( There's another video she shot that precedes that one. The police were using an LRAD Sound Cannon right next to the protesters and people's homes. If you watch it, make sure the sound is almost all the way down or muted. I won't embed it in the post for fear of damaging someone's hearing.

This video is only telling part of the story. I was watching live last night when the police told the protesters to leave the area or they will be arrested. They were not on the porch at the time the warnings were issued they ran up there instead of clearing the area.
They had been told to disburse. How is they any different than a party that is out of control, and LE tells the party goers to leave?

Does the tenant have the right to give permission for a protest on private property that doesn't belong to them? Do we know if the landlord gave permission?

From the link above:
" The woman across the street said we were allowed to come onto her yard. Then all of a sudden the police attack us for no reason, which is what you see in my second video."

It doesn't say anything about the property being a rental,but even if it were,she is paying rent which would cover the use of the land. IMO
The people were on a sidewalk when the police advanced so clearly they (LE) were in the wrong.

This video is only telling part of the story. I was watching live last night when the police told the protesters to leave the area or they will be arrested. They were not on the porch at the time the warnings were issued they ran up there instead of clearing the area.
They had been told to disburse. How is they any different than a party that is out of control, and LE tells the party goers to leave?

The First Amendment of our Constitution.

In recent history, challenges to the right to protest have come in many forms. In some cases, police crack down on demonstrations through mass arrests, illegal use of force, or curfews. Elsewhere, law enforcement limits expression by corralling protesters into so-called “free-speech zones.” And increasingly, new surveillance technologies are turned on innocent people, collecting information on their activities by virtue of their association with or proximity to a given protest.

That last sentence is particularly relevant. I listened to the police side of it last night for hours. Three men walked into the street and a commanding officer ordered officers in the area to arrest them and officers elsewhere to move in and arrest the "leaders" at the same time. Not because they were doing anything wrong but because they were perceived as leaders. The amount of resources they dedicated to surveillance was startling. Numerous people were targeted and their movements broadcast, including who they were talking to, how many people were in the group (as few as 3-5), and whether or not they were drinking ice water delivered in buckets (which police said could be a weapon used against them).

https://www.aclu.org/issues/free-speech/rights-protesters

After Dallas did anyone really expect the cops to show up in their shirt sleeves? The link posted earlier depicted something more than 'very peaceful'. Throwing chunks of cement at the officers is peaceful? Showing up in force at the police department headquarters again after Dallas and after all the 'Purge' crap that went around social media?

I sure am glad my sons did not choose criminal justice as their field of study and I salute the men and women who have and their families as well.

There's a big difference between police protecting themselves and using unnecessary force. I don't condone violence by anyone, including protesters, and the organizers of the protests have said the same.

According to CBS she is the homeowner. Why would you think otherwise?

Why would it matter? Tenants have full rights to the property, more than the Landlord. I have rental property and I cannot enter unless there is a bona fide emergency that I better be able to damn well prove if there is a dispute. The tenant can also order me, the owner, off the property and I have to go, just as if I order someone off my property at home. Yes, I could then move to evict them, but until they are out of the property that is all I can do about it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back