Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There's very little information on Gary Percival, who knows how much, if any, actually match up to this UP.

This is something of a paradox. There is a suggestion that the couple may have come from a wealthy background, and indeed the dental treatment this chap had must have been fairly expensive. On the other hand, in my experience people from a wealthy background have good dental care and look after their teeth from being very young and therefore tend to have very little serious dental work done in later life. The profile to me suggests someone who grew up poor or in deprived circumstances but who later had access to sophisticated and expensive dentistry.

Fwiw, many people from Montreal as adults, have cavities due to the lack of fluoride in the water.
imo, speculation.

The seventies were a low point in dental hygiene anyway, what with soft drinks and chewing gum. And almost nobody went to the dentist every six months for cleaning, or flossed--the standard was brush once a day. Doesn't surprise me if by his 20's he had bad teeth.

Me, either, Carbuff. Dental hygiene has changed over the decades. Here's the progression in my family-
My maternal grandma had dentures, my mother had all her molars pulled and had partials by the time I came along, I had braces and lots of cavities, and have managed to keep all but 2 of my molars. My son has perfect teeth and not one cavity, when I had a mouthful at his age. My goal is for him to make it to adulthood with all of his teeth and no cavities, after that, he's on his own, LOL.
For my mom and grandma, it was just accepted that your teeth would fall out someday. So glad times have changed!

We had somewhat better teeth because in the West, there's natural fluoride in the water. But that's luck, not hygiene.

We had somewhat better teeth because in the West, there's natural fluoride in the water. But that's luck, not hygiene.

You're very lucky. I grew up with fluoridated water but it wasn't enough. We really weren't encouraged to brush our teeth, drank pop, ate tons of candy and had poor nutrition. Plus, I think genetics played a part, too. My cousin, who grew up in the same conditions I did, has never had a cavity in his life. He very seldom brushed his teeth as a kid or went to the dentist. I don't know how he got so lucky.

I did not notice in previous posts, but has can their DNA be submitted to Ancestrydna or 23andme? Or is it too late since it was done in 2007? What about isotope testing in the teeth? Jock Doe teeth were extracted iirc in the 1970s by a forensic dentist so theoretically they should be in a lab somewhere right?

I did not notice in previous posts, but has can their DNA be submitted to Ancestrydna or 23andme? Or is it too late since it was done in 2007? What about isotope testing in the teeth? Jock Doe teeth were extracted iirc in the 1970s by a forensic dentist so theoretically they should be in a lab somewhere right?

Technically family tree testing should be able to be done but at this point is not used as a tool for possible identification because of HIPAA laws

Pollen and isotope testing would be a great idea but I'm not sure what they have on hand. Pamela Reed told me the detective was going thru boxes of files to get them entered in NamUs, then I helped it along by sending what I had plus their narrative from LE's page.

Technically family tree testing should be able to be done but at this point is not used as a tool for possible identification because of HIPAA laws

Pollen and isotope testing would be a great idea but I'm not sure what they have on hand. Pamela Reed told me the detective was going thru boxes of files to get them entered in NamUs, then I helped it along by sending what I had plus their narrative from LE's page.
Thanks for your reply Roselvr! People submit samples to those 2 sites voluntarily, and both of 2 states that did not allow samples shipped to it, started allowing it, so I'm not sure where rights would be infringed upon or privacy broken? It would at least give a general estimate of their ancestry, which can help in at least pinpointing their origin...
Also re the unshaven legs: totally common for those traveling esp if hit hitchhiking to not maintain a smooth hair free appearance-it's diff shaving legs than a face lol :) he was shaved and without a stubble so we can assume he's not one of those men that needs to shave every day as well, so they could both be not "hairy" people in general.
I think it would help lots if their Dna could be tested at one of those sites
In addition, contacting theDaily Mail for an article on them would bring so much global exposure....

They've had nine years to compare the DNA to all manner of databases, including CONADEP in Argentina. Have they done anything with it? Is there a sense of urgency here? I don't think so.

Thanks for your reply Roselvr! People submit samples to those 2 sites voluntarily, and both of 2 states that did not allow samples shipped to it, started allowing it, so I'm not sure where rights would be infringed upon or privacy broken? It would at least give a general estimate of their ancestry, which can help in at least pinpointing their origin...
Also re the unshaven legs: totally common for those traveling esp if hit hitchhiking to not maintain a smooth hair free appearance-it's diff shaving legs than a face lol :) he was shaved and without a stubble so we can assume he's not one of those men that needs to shave every day as well, so they could both be not "hairy" people in general.
I think it would help lots if their Dna could be tested at one of those sites
In addition, contacting theDaily Mail for an article on them would bring so much global exposure....

They consider the DNA from the Doe's to belong to the Doe's, they can not give their consent to have it run in those databases.

They consider the DNA from the Doe's to belong to the Doe's, they can not give their consent to have it run in those databases.

Who are "they"?

The dead cannot give consent for lots of things to be done to them but it's done anyway. These individuals' DNA is in one or more databases already so why not a few more?

I would think the people in those databases have consented to the use of their DNA for specific, narrow purposes related to family history. As nice as it would be to solve this case, I oppose opening an avenue for private genealogy databases to be utilised by law enforcement.

I'm not allowed to discuss this lead anymore. But that's not the right thread.

Now why wouldn't you be able to discuss it? I thought you were definitely on to something and since the two Argentines were never found, it is strange for you to not be able to discuss.

I'm not allowed to discuss this lead anymore. But that's not the right thread.

Are you saying that there is a second Argentenian couple with a thread that is deleted and that you cannot bring back up and discuss or that you cannot discuss the couple in the existing thread referenced above?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member