NY - Karina Vetrano, 30, found murdered, Queens, 2 Aug 2016 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
With so many readers of her blog posts (thousands for each post), unfettered guttural content, and a tendency toward provocative blog post titles -- I suspect there will be many, many characters who will be investigated. Note the post about running and meeting a stranger. RIP beautiful lady.with a gift for writing.

http://karinavee.com/

I'm kind of annoyed at some of the political correctness stuff flying around this case. It's made the front page of our main news site here in Australia, and a female reporter has echoed the usual 'don't blame the victim' connotations just because people are saying why would she have chosen to run in that isolated area.

What I don't understand is that in any other part of life - recreation, work, social, parenting - it is okay to discuss risk minimisation strategies, yet when it comes to women's safety, it is not. And if anyone dare suggest that there may be ways that women should protect themselves and reduce their risk, they are either jumped on as 'blaming the victim' or feel obliged to precede it with 'I'm not blaming the victim but...'. Why? Is it not sensible for any person (male or female) to reduce risk in their lives? It has nothing to do with blaming Karina when people say she probably shouldn't have gone running where she did alone. It's about knowing that the police CANNOT stop all the offenders in the community - this is a reality - so people need to make their choices based on this information. It's not about blame, it's about maybe encouraging others to make choices that might result in one less victim's name appearing in this forum or on the news.

I don't know, it just frustrates me that people can't talk openly about ways women (and men) can reduce their risk everyday without feeling shouted down by the media and other people.

Hi strangeworld. I understand where you're coming from and the points you made. But let me counter, just for the sake of some interesting discussion if nothing else.

IMO--Risk minimization is usually considered PC to talk about in the examples you provided (work, recreation, parenting...) because those are things we choose that, while having inherent risks, do not cause harm to us because of the criminal actions of others. The harms received from those examples would not make us victims. But I see what your gettig at--perhaps using seatbelts or drug use as an example might be more analogous? For example--my dad taught me early on in regards to drivig that you have to watch out for other drivers. Be aware, look twice, always be on the lookout for impaired drivers and stay a safe distance from them, don't enrage other drivers, etc...
And drug use--maybe this is less useful--but harm reduction is a big thing here with the heroin epidemic. Needle exchanges, places to use safely. Id say that applies less just because the very act you're engaging in is illegal and therefore the risk is in the behavior and not a result of others actions. Sorry if I'm rambling incoherently--I'm only half way through my first cup of coffee!
Anyway. I don't think it is so much that harm reduction/risk minimization campaigns are a bad thing. But they don't address the perpetrator's actions as what needs to change. I think it has to do with bigger, more systemic issues related to patriarchy and women being to blame for, well, everything. Even though I know most people don't believe it's a woman's fault if she's raped--you often hear things regarding her dress, where she was at what time, why didn't she have someone to protect her? I think people just get fed up with others trying to explain the unexplainable by looking at what the victim did wrong rather than what the perp and society has done wrong. We put the burden of not "gettig ourselves raped" on the woman, as opposed to addressing the individual and cultural aspects that make rape so prevalent.
Just for a thought experiment--
Do we ask similar questions of a well-dressed man who is robbed/mugged? Is the burden on him to not wear his fancy watch in the wrong area after midnight?
Personally, I practice risk reduction all the time. And I don't think anyone would argue against practically doing so. I think the issue is more sociological--we shouldn't HAVE to. But we do because we are all aware of the world in which we live.
Not sure if you're following the Sierra Joughin case out of N Ohio, but she was a 20 year old female out riding her bike with her boyfriend along a rural country road well before dark when she was abducted and murdered by a man that lived just down the road from her. It's one thing to recommend not running down an isolated bike path or not to be walking alone at night in dangerous areas--but it's to the point that a woman can't take a bike ride alone on a summers evening in the tiny town where she was born and raised. Risk reduction seems to be heading towards saying just never go out, especially alone, if you're a woman. We don't feel safe doi anything anymore. And when the solution that society routinely gives is to change our own behavior and limit our own freedoms--it gets frustrating.

Depends - thinking back to the years wife and would jog in various parks and locations, in late afternoon around 5pm some places would be empty.... I don't think where she jogged was a popular walking trail with the high swamp grass... do we have anyone here who is familiar with it?

I grew up one neighborhood over from there. I don't believe this was a well used trail and it was definitely not maintained like most other parks/trails in Queens. Such a tragedy. This person needs to be caught asap! :(

One hour ago:

NYPD called in the FBI for help because her body was found on federal parkland.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/karina-vetrano-put-up-ferocious-fight-murder-nypd-police/

Also LE has gotten only 3 tips, and none proved useful - so sad! Got to hope the can get some surveillance!

Also - "We believe there's a severe community threat, as you know," Chief of Detectives

NYPD is up there with the best of the best; they will figure this out and it will not go cold. NYPD has the resources, the staff, the equipment, the expertise, the funds, etc. --- unlike some of the rural counties and states where we've watched horrific cases simply go cold. (susan powell, crystal rogers --- and I certainly hope not MB).

One hour ago:

NYPD called in the FBI for help because her body was found on federal parkland.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/karina-vetrano-put-up-ferocious-fight-murder-nypd-police/

Also LE has gotten only 3 tips, and none proved useful - so sad! Got to hope the can get some surveillance!

Also - "We believe there's a severe community threat, as you know," Chief of Detectives

I'm glad the FBI and its resources are involved. My armchair opinion is that this seems like a serial rapist who has escalated or who will continue. He remains a threat to the community and I hope LE catches him before he strikes again.

It seems like a routine - grab a lone woman, drag her, pull off her top and bottom, beat her, rape her, strangle her, leave her somewhat isolated but still in a place where she will be found in her defiled condition. I'm not sure of the order these injuries happened to her, but I'm assuming the perp has a particular order he does these things and they are a signature.

Go get him, LE!

Maybe this was his first kill because she fought back and he "accidentally" killed her by strangling her to subdue her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two updates this morning by reporter on videos in link below:

He states that video surveillance footage has not been helpful in locating a suspect.

On the footage, two pieces of video show KV jogging, but there is no one suspicious walking or driving in the area.

Also stated is that LE has ruled out everyone in her life as a suspect.

The homeless individuals living in an encampment about a mile from the scene have been interviewed, and LE has ruled them out (Video from an hour ago.).

Still missing is one of KV's sneakers and a missing ear bud.

https://www.facebook.com/anthonyontv

He states that video surveillance footage has not been helpful in locating a suspect.

On the footage, two pieces of video show KV jogging, but there is no one suspicious walking or driving in the area.

The homeless individuals living in an encampment about a mile from the scene have been interviewed, and LE has ruled them out (Video from an hour ago.).

I wish they would release the videos.

On another note, Karina's wake will be today, followed by a funeral tomorrow. Condolences to her family and loved ones. https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20...fight-before-being-raped-beaten-near-her-home

I'll wait for them to locate the missing sneaker by tonight.

IF not, that is a bit odd and makes me wonder whether the monster took it with him.

Wow! so little to go on - add to that previously mentioned only 3 tips have been called and in and none helpful....
Would like to see surveillance of the walkway at the time she was taken to see if at least there were others using it, or was empty as I fear...Missing sneaker - possible trophy?
NY LE is very good.... have to think the attacker has tried before and will attack again..

I'll wait for them to locate the missing sneaker by tonight.

IF not, that is a bit odd and makes me wonder whether the monster took it with him.
Trophy, foot/shoe fetish?

Trophy, foot/shoe fetish?

IF sneaker not located by LE very soon, yeah, I'm thinking easy trophy since it prob came off when he dragged her. He didn't have to remove it from her. It was lying there and he may have just quickly snatched it up as trophy. He may have had knapsack...

The jogger slain while running alone through a Queens park was brutally beaten and raped before she was strangled by her now fugitive killer, police sources said Thursday.

“Her teeth were broken,” a high-ranking police source told the Daily News about Karina Vetrano, 30, the brainy and beautiful victim of the savage Tuesday night attack. “She was black and blue.”

Snip

Vetrano broke up with her boyfriend just two days before her death in a desolate stretch of Spring Creek Park, only a short distance from her Howard Beach home.

The high-ranking source said the spurned lover was quickly ruled out as a suspect after providing an alibi. “He thought their relationship was more than casual, but she disagreed,” the source said.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...trano-brutally-beaten-raped-article-1.2738297

My God this is terrible! A lot of anger. Was it personal I wonder? I know LE said people in her life have been ruled out but what about someone who followed her blog? Maybe her posts enraged someone.

It was said she was fighting hard, hopefully she had his skin under her nails.

Taking a sneaker as a trophy sounds unusual to me. Never heard of it.

My God this is terrible! A lot of anger. Was it personal I wonder? I know LE said people in her life have been ruled out but what about someone who followed her blog? Maybe her posts enraged someone.

ITA. Seems so brutal. Too brutal for a stranger, IMO. Knocking her teeth out and beating her black and blue?!
I, aslo, don't believe the sneaker/ear bud was taken as trophy.

She hasn't been active on her blog for quite awhile, IIRC. I don't think it was a blog follower.

For now, I'm thinking stranger who has escalated his rape routine and/or beat her so severely because she fought back.

Whatever the case, he is savage and poses a danger. He needs to be caught....soon.

jmo

Think I read somewhere she had not posted on her blog in about 2 years.

ITA. Seems so brutal. Too brutal for a stranger, IMO. Knocking her teeth out and beating her black and blue?!

Remember how brutally the Central Park Jogger was attacked by stranger(s)....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Park_jogger_case

ETA considering how fit Karina was, might be more than one attacker IMO, nothing mentioned to support this...

I agree with your thoughts Momoffourboys - this was extreme overkill; one of the most brutal murders - strangulation - rapeX2 - beaten - battered - teeth broken - face down, bruised, abused -- just seems too brutal for a stranger; this feels 'personal' - OMG my heart bleeds for this young soul. All JMO, however. Bless this family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998