FL - Michelle Mishcon, 53, & John Stevens, 59, murdered, Tequesta, 15 Aug 2016 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anyone else hear that initially this perp provided a false ID (same first name--different last name)?

Sure did ATasteOfHoney!

From this article, it isn't sounding like the Perp, Austin Kelly Harrouff, is ​doing so well in the hospital!

August 17, 2016
12:20 AM ET UPDATED

2 dead, 1 injured in gruesome Martin County stabbings; dramatic 911 call released

The sheriff said Harrouff, who lives with his mother at a nearby residence, gave a false name when he was arrested, which slowed their investigation.

http://www.wptv.com/news/police-investigating-double-fatal-stabbing-in-tequesta

Thanks ~

Terrible. This article states that a neighbor tried to interfere and help the victims but was himself stabbed in the back. He seems to be OK (in the sense that he is not dead) and did manage to call 911 after being stabbed. What a heroic, difficult thing to do. Many people would have frozen, filmed the attack on their phone, or called 911. Hats off to Mr Fisher for trying to stop it.

Sure did ATasteOfHoney!

From this article, it isn't sounding like the Perp, Austin Kelly Harrouff, is ​doing so well in the hospital!

August 17, 2016
12:20 AM ET UPDATED

2 dead, 1 injured in gruesome Martin County stabbings; dramatic 911 call released

The sheriff said Harrouff, who lives with his mother at a nearby residence, gave a false name when he was arrested, which slowed their investigation.

http://www.wptv.com/news/police-investigating-double-fatal-stabbing-in-tequesta

Thanks ~

So, was giving a "false name" indicative of him being able to fully comprehend what he had just done?

I could care less if this demon dies or not. LE really needs to put heat on the friends he was with prior to going out with his family. The family deserves some form of justice and anyone that had anything to do with providing this with the substance that caused him to act so barbaric needs to be held accountable too.

I agree with finding out where this drug came from.

I was kinda taken aback by the police using a stun gun at first. My God........he was tearing off face bits and consuming them.

That is zombie .....night of the living dead type behavior ......I would have shot this animal in the head.....jeebus

Question.........where did he get the knife ?

Never mind.......read it on DM that he carried a switchblade . Nice.

Flaccka, Bath salts, DMT, Jimson weed....all bad hallucinogenics.
I hope the authorities find out what was going on for public safety reasons if not for anything else!

Flaccka, Bath salts, DMT, Jimson weed....all bad hallucinogenics.
I hope the authorities find out what was going on for public safety reasons if not for anything else!

Honey I absolutely love your posts and think you are a very astute sleuther, so please don't take this personally.

DMT is not at all in the same category as Flakka, whatsoever. It is naturally occuring in your brain and has been found as a successful treatment for depression and other mood disorders. Start here, then search Google scholar for "Dimethyltryptamine and depression"for example. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N,N-Dimethyltryptamine

Flakka (alpha-pvp), on the other hand, is a cheap designer drug very popular in Florida and far easier to obtain than DMT, for example, with known side effects like psychotic rage, biting, etc. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha-Pyrrolidinopentiophenone

This is a really excellent article about the victims: http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/news/crime-law/deceased-couple-enjoyed-family-and-fishing/nsGzY/

They sounded like great, fun people. She called their tricked-out garage the "garage-mahal" :laughing:

I hope some reason for this attack is uncovered. Everything I've read about his behavior suggests the kid was on something, but the initial street drug tests were negative and apparently he didn't have the elevated body temp associated with bath salts or flakka?

This is the type of random crime that frightens the most. I can't even....

Wondering why the perp is near death at the hospital? No mention of injuries or illness or what he may have consumed,
but speculation from LE is "bath salts" or flakka. I know next to nothing about those particular substances, but I would guess they might cause serious health consequences. I also understand from the report hate perpwas extremely difficult to subdue, so I suppose he could have sustained life-threatening injuries, which LE would probably be hesitant to discuss, at least at this point, given the current climate of our USA society. I fully support whatever means were necessary to stop this horrific attack,and my heart and prayers go out to the familes of the victims.
I am an LPN, and a few years ago I attended a class about "bath salts". They are extremely dangerous and addicting. There have been many, many deaths R/T this drug. Comparing bath salts to LSD, LSD is candy.

Another update... oh no:

"Austin Harrouff, the 19-year-old charged with murdering two people in Martin County, had been acting strangely for about a week and “would say things like he had super powers,” his mother told Jupiter police the night of the incident."

Source: http://www.mypalmbeachpost.com/news...ect-in-stabbings-face-biting-claimed-to/nsHHC

Article also clarifies that mom didn't call the police until around midnight. By then, the Stevens' were hours dead. It appears she was worried when he left at 8:30 from the restaurant, but when no one saw him for hours she called police. It sounds like there had been some strange behavior in the short period leading up to this incident. Drugs or mental illness (delusions, etc)?

Another update... oh no:

"Austin Harrouff, the 19-year-old charged with murdering two people in Martin County, had been acting strangely for about a week and “would say things like he had super powers,” his mother told Jupiter police the night of the incident."

Source: http://www.mypalmbeachpost.com/news...ect-in-stabbings-face-biting-claimed-to/nsHHC

Article also clarifies that mom didn't call the police until around midnight. By then, the Stevens' were hours dead. It appears she was worried when he left at 8:30 from the restaurant, but when no one saw him for hours she called police. It sounds like there had been some strange behavior in the short period leading up to this incident. Drugs or mental illness (delusions, etc)?

Interesting. According to the mother, he had no history of mental illness. However, it makes me wonder about the possibility of schizophrenia. He's about the right age and had just begun college. From what I've read about schizophrenia, it often manifests itself when an individual is in their late teens/early 20's and a stressful situation, such as beginning college, can exacerbate symptoms. Perhaps, he had been dealing with the symptoms for some time, had no idea what was happening to him, and used a potent drug to self-medicate. Don't know, just thinking out loud. All JMO.

SABBM

Curious. Wonder if his parents took it down ? If (god forbid) my child or relative did something despicable, the last thing I'd be doing is to be on social media. Seriously.
Hope the perp's family will not speak up now and say he was a "good kid" who just had a bad day or an unfortunate reaction to something (hence it wasn't his fault).
This was a monstrous act Austin committed.
I for one do not wish to hear how 'nice' he was in high school, or whatever.
:moo:

The killer's, mom's and sister's FB went dark all about at the same time. Dad's was still up yesterday, last I saw. I'm guessing this family has access to many many resources and advisors. There's some frantic lawyering going on, I bet. I hope power, influence and money don't get in the way of a fitting punishment should this perp survive.

Interesting. According to the mother, he had no history of mental illness. However, it makes me wonder about the possibility of schizophrenia. He's about the right age and had just begun college. From what I've read about schizophrenia, it often manifests itself when an individual is in their late teens/early 20's and a stressful situation, such as beginning college, can exacerbate symptoms. Perhaps, he had been dealing with the symptoms for some time, had no idea what was happening to him, and used a potent drug to self-medicate. Don't know, just thinking out loud. All JMO.

I had the same thought. It's actually fairly rare for schizophrenics to be violent, but it can happen, particularly when paired with mind-altering substances. One case that comes to mind is Bruce Blackman (#2 on this list: http://www.oddee.com/item_99056.aspx).

I'll be curious to see what comes out from friends and acquaintances about his mental state prior to the murders. You know the family's lips are sealed. I just feel awful for the victims and (for now) his family. I mean, what a horrible, unforeseen thing.

I agree with finding out where this drug came from.

I was kinda taken aback by the police using a stun gun at first. My God........he was tearing off face bits and consuming them.

That is zombie .....night of the living dead type behavior ......I would have shot this animal in the head.....jeebus

bbm. My understanding was that the first LEO on the scene didn't know and couldn't tell whether the victim was alive or dead, and didn't shoot because any shot directed at the perpetrator would also have hit the victim.

I didn't see anything at that link that indicated what name he gave but interestingly the "switchblade" is no longer being reported instead it says:

Harrouff had “weapons of opportunity,” meaning items in the garage, at his disposal, Snyder said. He used multiple weapons to kill Mishcon and Stevens, Snyder said.

Sad story, I hope they can figure out what he may have ingested. The original report made it sound like he had been at dinner with his family just before the attack but the video makes it sounds like he might have been out with friends, I hope they will reveal anything they might know.

I think a different article mentioned the fake name...or People updated it with new developments. As far as I can tell he was at dinner with his parents but yet there's mention of his fraternity brothers looking for him too.

I'm sure there will be clarity soon.

It sounds like he left dinner at around 830 and by 930 police were en route to the scene of the crime.

This happened very close to me, it was just unthinkable. The homes in Jupiter River Estates are valued at $500,000 and up. The neighborhood is extremely quiet and safe, however, not gated, as many communities are here in so. FL. The Stevens were doing something many people do here on a hot summer evening, relaxing and socializing in their garage. The perp had left a restaurant about four miles away, and walked for nearly an hour along a dark, country, road. He was heading to his father's house, which was close to the Stevens house. Why he turned down the Steven's street, we may never know...Just so incredibly sad and senseless.

The killer's, mom's and sister's FB went dark all about at the same time. Dad's was still up yesterday, last I saw. I'm guessing this family has access to many many resources and advisors. There's some frantic lawyering going on, I bet. I hope power, influence and money don't get in the way of a fitting punishment should this perp survive.
SABBM

Nk. This perp should NEVER be released; imo. He needs to die in prison ... if not receive the dp.
Who would want this young man living next to them ?
What if he was law-abiding for a time, then had a relapse ?
:moo:

Parents had been divorced for seven years, and he lived with his mother. Father is a local dentist.

Was he out to dinner with both of them or just his mom? I wonder if more than slow service triggered him. I can't think of why a college kid would take something like flakka before going to dinner with parents unless he was dared to do it. I think there are some underlying mental health issues, drugs or not, though it could be something more medical like a tumor or rabies. It will be interesting to hear the details.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong