Found Alive OR - Dr. Ashley Laird, 37, Jacksonville, 26 August 2016

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10157403403555323&id=180780400322

Press conference. Interesting details on how/why they found her where they did, & more.

She did have a "tracking" watch, but left it at home. A member of SAR managed to get data from it which showed she'd run the trails (in the area she was found) before, & the team went to search there.

Thank you for the link to the press conference.

So she DID, DOES, have a tracking device, but yet she left it at home...

Again, I am wondering if she just wanted to be left alone. The bruises and bumps... an accident, or not? The fact that nobody knew she ran this trail

before is interesting to me. ( but yet the info was on her tracking device left at home.) Why would she go on this trail? To me, there is a lot more to this

story, and whatever the reasons are, I hope that she stays safe and everything positive works out for her and her family.

If this was just bad luck, then I hope for this Emergency Room Doctor that she will use a cellphone or some tracking device in the future. She is now one

of the patients that perhaps she treats in her line of work?

Good Luck Ashley!! :)

IMOO.

It's amazing that one of the SAR guys was able to get into her "watch" and find out that she had run that trail in the past. The Police Chief said that it's the only reason they went there to search! Plus, they were planning to scale back the search this evening if there were no solid leads because it was such a broad area. She is one very fortunate woman. Running alone is risky. I'm so glad Ashley made it OK.

We we lost a very popular male runner in Ashland, Todd Ragsdale, earlier this year. Running alone, it seems that he got sick on the trail and went down to the creek to clean up. He was found dead in the creek in about a foot of water. :(
http://m.dailytidings.com/article/20160629/NEWS/160629809

Another runner (also alone) Alyssa McCrann of Portland has been missing since just before Christmas. Searches have been unproductive. :(
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...-37-Tigard-19-December-2015&highlight=McCrann

https://www.facebook.com/findalissa/posts/507968512741459

Add to that list Joe Keller from Tennessee running in the mountains of Colorado last year. They found his remains last month.

really strange story, why was it reported she needed to be extracted and then it says they found her on her own two feet? feels like there must be more to this.

really strange story, why was it reported she needed to be extracted and then it says they found her on her own two feet? feels like there must be more to this.

I wondered the same thing, but figured "extraction" must be SAR terminology for bringing the person out of the area where they're found. Or else, initial reports to those talking to reporters indicated that she was trapped in some way. I'm certainly glad she was on her feet and not wedged in a crevasse. But it was puzzling, I agree.

I hope she will share her story when she feels up to it. It's probably quite simple, but certainly scary for her and everyone looking for her.

Her family said she just got lost on unfamiliar trails then disorientated, no food or water. She was off road on trails. Hard to understand but getting disorientated in trails is pretty easy to have happen. Good she was still standing not laying in ditch covered. Shes a tough little tiny person! JMO

So glad to hear she's been found safe. One of the fortunate few.

Thank you for the link to the press conference.

So she DID, DOES, have a tracking device, but yet she left it at home...

Again, I am wondering if she just wanted to be left alone. The bruises and bumps... an accident, or not? The fact that nobody knew she ran this trail

before is interesting to me. ( but yet the info was on her tracking device left at home.) Why would she go on this trail? To me, there is a lot more to this

story, and whatever the reasons are, I hope that she stays safe and everything positive works out for her and her family.

If this was just bad luck, then I hope for this Emergency Room Doctor that she will use a cellphone or some tracking device in the future. She is now one

of the patients that perhaps she treats in her line of work?

Good Luck Ashley!! :)

IMOO.

You all, or many of you, are going to have a conniption fit when I tell you that I *do* have a Smart(ypants) phone, walk/jog daily, but don't always (OK, rarely) think to take it out with me! And I'm single & live alone, so it might take a while (~24 hours) for someone to notice I hadn't come home, if something happened to me. I'm going to have to rethink that, & condition myself to carry phone with me in future, because it's harrowing to family/friends who have to deal with finding a MP, whatever the outcome.

Whatever happened in Dr Laird's case, I'd like to commend her family for the updates they have given. I'm always curious about the details of "what really/actually happened", but have learned over the years that I don't *need* to know, however curious I am.

Disorientation, then dehydration, plus several other factors, can happen faster than one might think, even in a familiar area close to home when out in the countryside.

TL: DR: I'm glad she's safe. I'll be carrying my phone now (if I remember) when going out.

You all, or many of you, are going to have a conniption fit when I tell you that I *do* have a Smart(ypants) phone, walk/jog daily, but don't always (OK, rarely) think to take it out with me! And I'm single & live alone, so it might take a while (~24 hours) for someone to notice I hadn't come home, if something happened to me. I'm going to have to rethink that, & condition myself to carry phone with me in future, because it's harrowing to family/friends who have to deal with finding a MP, whatever the outcome.

Whatever happened in Dr Laird's case, I'd like to commend her family for the updates they have given. I'm always curious about the details of "what really/actually happened", but have learned over the years that I don't *need* to know, however curious I am.

Disorientation, then dehydration, plus several other factors, can happen faster than one might think, even in a familiar area close to home when out in the countryside.

TL: DR: I'm glad she's safe. I'll be carrying my phone now (if I remember) when going out.

Sometimes learning from other people's mistakes can benefit our own lives. :) (I do want to add that I have learned from other's mistakes in the threads I have read.)

It might keep us from a costly or deadly mistake.

IMOO.

First thread I read when checking WS this morning. Happy Day!!!

Sometimes learning from other people's mistakes can benefit our own lives. :) (I do want to add that I have learned from other's mistakes in the threads I have read.)

It might keep us from a costly or deadly mistake.

IMOO.

I have learned, too. Ever since that young pastor's wife was murdered in her home last year, I never leave my doors unlocked, even when I'm home.

I have learned, too. Ever since that young pastor's wife was murdered in her home last year, I never leave my doors unlocked, even when I'm home.

I keep our doors locked too. More than once, my dh has gone outside into the yard and I have automatically locked the door behind him. :) But after burglars entered through our unlocked doors years ago when we lived on acreage (we weren't home), I'm a lock fanatic.

About an hour ago this was posted on the Find Ashley Laird FB page:

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR HELPING FIND ASHLEY TODAY!!!
Ashley got lost on unfamiliar trails and survived 2 very hard nights without food and water. She was located by a Search and Rescue team, which included her father Bruce.
We are so very very grateful for the hundreds and hundreds of people who physically helped, and thousands who helped through social media.
It was an incredibly happy moment that would not have happened without you.
Ashley is resting, uncomfortably, in the hospital and we expect a complete and total recovery.
Thank you again to everyone.
A big thank you to law enforcement and search and rescue, for which this outcome would not have been possible!

With love,

Dan, Ashley and Sage

Her family said she just got lost on unfamiliar trails then disorientated, no food or water. She was off road on trails. Hard to understand but getting disorientated in trails is pretty easy to have happen. Good she was still standing not laying in ditch covered. Shes a tough little tiny person! JMO

Hubby is the worlds worst to get disoriented in our mountains. I usually have to point the way out. Glad she is ok. :)

Still, you do wonder what was happening during all the extra time. I wonder if she remembers.

Yes, please bring along your phone. You are important to us! And just leave a note on your table re: where you're going and date it so if you have no signal or you are unconscious, disoriented, etc, then help can get to you faster. Thanks!

How the GPS watch helped find Ashley.

Ryan Ghelfi is pretty familiar with Garmin GPS technology, not only does he sell the watches, he uses one every day.
“It actually will talk to satellites in order to see how fast you were going,” Ryan Ghelfi of Rogue Valley Runners says, “and then ultimately where you went.”

Story and Video at link
https://kobi5.com/news/how-a-garmin-helped-crews-find-runner-ashley-laird-34845/

The weekend from her Ashley's husband's perspective. I'm not sure why he still says she had never taken that trail before, since the GPS watch showed she had. I wonder if he had used the watch or something. He said she's not good with directions! It will take about two weeks for her to get back to full strength.

Story and video at link.
http://ktvl.com/news/local/ashley-lairds-family-speaks-about-weekend-from-their-perspective

More from her husband. Apparently when she was found she thought it was Saturday. So she lost a whole day. He said they are going to buy a white board when she comes home so she can write down where she is going and how long she will be gone. Good idea! The story also mentions that she was found in the John's Peak area, which is not near Jacksonville Reservoir Rd...so I'm confused.

Story and video at link.
http://www.kdrv.com/news/Ashley_Lai...=social&utm_source=facebook_KDRV_NewsWatch_12

The weekend from her Ashley's husband's perspective. I'm not sure why he still says she had never taken that trail before, since the GPS watch showed she had. I wonder if he had used the watch or something. He said she's not good with directions! It will take about two weeks for her to get back to full strength.

Story and video at link.
http://ktvl.com/news/local/ashley-lairds-family-speaks-about-weekend-from-their-perspective

More from her husband. Apparently when she was found she thought it was Saturday. So she lost a whole day. He said they are going to buy a white board when she comes home so she can write down where she is going and how long she will be gone. Good idea! The story also mentions that she was found in the John's Peak area, which is not near Jacksonville Reservoir Rd...so I'm confused.

Story and video at link.
http://www.kdrv.com/news/Ashley_Lai...=social&utm_source=facebook_KDRV_NewsWatch_12

This does not make sense to me at all. The husband said in your link that she has trouble with directions. If that is the case then she would KNOW to bring something to help her along, period.

Why on earth would she go on this trail if she has trouble with directions???

I am STILL thinking there is WAY more to this story and it is Not being disclosed, in my opinion. And that's fine.

I would hope VALUABLE lessons have been learned if there isn't more to this story.

IMOO.

Please don't beat yourself up. I'm guilty of the same thing. Going out hiking, jogging, walking in areas where there are few if any humans about, and not taking my cell phone with me. It was only about a year ago that I changed that habit, after following some of these cases. My excuse was I had no way to carry my cell phone with me. :rolleyes: So, I found a belt / pouch on Amazon that would hold my cell phone, as well as my car keys. Now I don't go without it. Oh the valuable lessons we learn here. :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back