GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU law professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #3 *Arrests*

Status
Not open for further replies.
The school of arts and science is a charter school in Tallahassee for children. http://www.schoolofartsandsciences.org/

Thank you for this info reallybusy!

Hmmmm.....sounds like a neat deal. I would have inquired about that place too and given it great consideration.

There's something more going on here, though.

He could have been ticked that she's making plans without speaking with him first, especially when it concerns the boys.

Maybe she was just getting info and not enrolling them yet.
Dan had good reasons not to trust her.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Thank you for this info reallybusy!

Hmmmm.....sounds like a neat deal. I would have inquired about that place too and given it great consideration.

There's something more going on here, though.

He could have been ticked that she's making plans without speaking with him first, especially when it concerns the boys.

Maybe she was just getting info and not enrolling them yet.
Dan had good reasons not to trust her.

That seems to be exactly it. Wendi is heard saying on the police tape that she "just left him a message this morning." She was referencing Dan. Maybe she was informing him of the prospect of the school.
http://www.tallahassee.com/story/ne...s-reveal-early-markel-investigation/87680046/

"Markel was asking a School of Arts and Sciences teacher about Wendi Adelson seeking to enroll their two young children without his knowledge.The teacher said he and Markel spoke for several minutes when he heard him say “hold on a second, there is someone in my driveway that is unfamiliar to me.”The man told police he then heard a loud grunt, which did not sound good, muffled voices and then labored breathing.He asked if Markel was OK, but got no reply."

Hi Everyone,
I am new to websleuths...
I noticed that in WA's interview with the police something very odd happens. When the detective tells her that DM will not survive she does not ask the detective about his injuries and why his prognosis is so grave. That would seem to be the natural question to ask if someone were genuinely concerned about a person which someone innocent would be. Even though she was divorced she still should have been interested in him surviving given how she has two little children with him. Also, it is very suspicious how she immediately suggests that CA is involved and that they joked about a hitman when the actual assailants turned out to be exactly that. Very coincidental to say the least.

I still think Rivera is in protective custody because of a potential plea deal/state witness opportunity, despite that his attorney is apparently going forward with depositions. I can't even find his profile on Vinelink or the Florida Department of Corrections website anymore. Why would they take him off?

I can confirm that this is not the case. Unfortunately my source is a FL state attorney. There has and still is chatter of someone "talking" or "planning to talk"; and I get the vibe that what we've seen just in the last week or so is very consistent with the 'slow' developing theory that the SA is cleverly releasing little tids and bits of info. We all need to just hang in there, and grab some popcorn.

Anyone else find it strange that in the video, WA doesn't ask for details about Dan's condition, or if LE is certain that the shooting victim Dan and not someone else, or if there could possibly be some mistake, what hospital is he at, is there any chance he will make it, etc.? She just immediately starts wailing. If someone told me that my kids' dad had been shot and taken to the hospital, and was "not going to survive," I have a feeling that I'd be begging for details and clarification right away before saying or asking anything further (though she apparently did ask later on). And ideally I think I'd be wanting to know right away if there's any chance there's been a mistake or if he might survive. I realize that everyone reacts differently to shocking news but this seems unusual. IMHO.

ETA: I seem to have had the same reaction as Dolphin, a few posts up.

Hi Everyone,
I am new to websleuths...

I noticed that in WA's interview with the police something very odd happens. When the detective tells her that DM will not survive she does not ask the detective about his injuries and why his prognosis is so grave. That would seem to be the natural question to ask if someone were genuinely concerned about a person which someone innocent would be. Even though she was divorced she still should have been interested in him surviving given how she has two little children with him. Also, it is very suspicious how she immediately suggests that CA is involved and that they joked about a hitman when the actual assailants turned out to be exactly that. Very coincidental to say the least.

Welcome! Look forward to having you here!

In a Democrat article, it states "Adelson was concerned about the safety of their two young children who were at daycare the day their father was killed. She also was concerned about how she would tell the boys what happened and repeatedly asked about Markel’s condition."

They did not show that on the portion of the video published, though.

Yeah, pretty coincidental. My view is that she was kept in the dark about the detail and timing of the hit, but was aware a plan being put in place. Again, just don't buy the presumption of her "total innocence" and plot of murder on the father of her children without her buy-in. Also, I think she had complete confidence in the precautions taken and planning of her family to arrange the details. Smart family with many resources.

That seems to be exactly it. Wendi is heard saying on the police tape that she "just left him a message this morning." She was referencing Dan. Maybe she was informing him of the prospect of the school.
http://www.tallahassee.com/story/ne...s-reveal-early-markel-investigation/87680046/

"Markel was asking a School of Arts and Sciences teacher about Wendi Adelson seeking to enroll their two young children without his knowledge.The teacher said he and Markel spoke for several minutes when he heard him say “hold on a second, there is someone in my driveway that is unfamiliar to me.”The man told police he then heard a loud grunt, which did not sound good, muffled voices and then labored breathing.He asked if Markel was OK, but got no reply."
Oh Wow reallybusy! Another great catch. So she did call Dan that morning!!

That makes sense. She left him a voice mail (checking to see where he was? Leaving an alibi) about the school. He then calls the Arts and Sciences charter school to get the scoop.

She is a crafty one. But trying way too hard.

I can confirm that this is not the case. Unfortunately my source is a FL state attorney. There has and still is chatter of someone "talking" or "planning to talk"; and I get the vibe that what we've seen just in the last week or so is very consistent with the 'slow' developing theory that the SA is cleverly releasing little tids and bits of info. We all need to just hang in there, and grab some popcorn.

Tallyeng -- do you have a theory of why Rivera's whereabouts are unknown or removed from this system despite the fact he has not yet cooperated or given a plea? just curious what your thoughts may be. My only idea is that there was a credible threat against him.

Anyone else find it strange that in the video, WA doesn't ask for details about Dan's condition, or if LE is certain that the shooting victim Dan and not someone else, or if there could possibly be some mistake, what hospital is he at, is there any chance he will make it, etc.? She just immediately starts wailing. If someone told me that my kids' dad had been shot and taken to the hospital, and was "not going to survive," I have a feeling that I'd be begging for details and clarification right away before saying or asking anything further (though she apparently did ask later on). And ideally I think I'd be wanting to know right away if there's any chance there's been a mistake or if he might survive. I realize that everyone reacts differently to shocking news but this seems unusual. IMHO.

ETA: I seem to have had the same reaction as Dolphin, a few posts up.
Absolutely! And that's why I want to hear what DA had to say when
WA called her. I believe WA was nervous because she had to tell her mother that Dan wasn't dead yet.

Oh boy. DA: "Not dead yet!? We were informed he was dead! But he's going to die, right?! When is he going to die. Did he say anything?"

I can guarantee they both were shaking in their boots. I wish the investigator would have held off saying Dan was expected to die.

WA knew even if she didn't know exactly how, who, where or when. Right?

This about it this way, with the mindset that WA has always been a 'special snowflake':

Gram_gram_420: "Don't worry my little shuggie bunny, MeeMaw & your bro are going to take care of everything. You have NOTHING to worry about and can be home with us soon :cool2:"

Totes_Clueless_LOL: "Haha... ok mama dukes sounds good LOL. y'all are the best, can't wait to be home!"

Can anyone shed any light on the plate vomiting episode? Drunk? Food poisoning? Why?

Tallyeng -- do you have a theory of why Rivera's whereabouts are unknown or removed from this system despite the fact he has not yet cooperated or given a plea? just curious what your thoughts may be. My only idea is that there was a credible threat against him.

My understanding is it is related to him being transferred back to his original prison to continue his sentence until he faces trial here in town. My opinion: I think he hasn't relocated there yet because of the standard procedural things him & defense are doing for the death penalty. I've been told all the motions filed so far are run of the mill.

Darn, that's disappointing, but thanks for the info. Trying to wait patiently for developments but man, it's tough!

At the moment, I am still in the camp of people who do not believe WA had any prior knowledge of the hit on DM. One theory is that it was at that dinner with CA that he first made it clear to WA that he was one who arranged the hit. Hence, the vomiting. Vomiting has been my own reaction to being put in a very stressful situation. I could be totally wrong though.

I also noticed that in the released portions of the interview WA didn't ask to go see him in the hospital. Aside from his sons, I think she was his only family in town.

I hate to be a pest but are there any lawyers out there that can answer this question: Can police use what DA said on the phone with her daughter since the investigator could hear her (DA) voice when speaking with WA?

I think this is important.

See article below where WA nervously called her mother at the end of the interview.

http://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/2016/08/26/wendi-adelson-brother-joked-hiring-hitman/89437110/

I'm a civil lawyer, not criminal, but I see no legal reason why they can't use what they heard DA say on that call. DA was not in custody and wasn't forced to talk. Don't see a legal bar to using it.

At the moment, I am still in the camp of people who do not believe WA had any prior knowledge of the hit on DM. One theory is that it was at that dinner with CA that he first made it clear to WA that he was one who arranged the hit. Hence, the vomiting. Vomiting has been my own reaction to being put in a very stressful situation. I could be totally wrong though.

Glad you chimed in Richmonder, sometimes balance is everything, until that day comes when someone else ultimately decides who knew what and when!imo
:judge:

The way I understand the article, it was just CA and WA at dinner. She then told friends and Lacasse later about her vomitting event while at the dinner table and then explained why she vomitted: My brother admitted to hiring the hit. Hmmmm..... I don't see it unless she's setting bro up for the fall. Certainly she's not that naive to think friends and Lacasse would keep that little tidbit a secret.

Are people just assuming that's what happened? Because if someone heard it directly from her mouth regarding her bro, then certainly CA would be sitting in jail right now.

Thanks Richmonder for wading in but I'm afraid I'm more confused than ever. It doesn't make sense unless I'm not understanding correctly.

I'm a civil lawyer, not criminal, but I see no legal reason why they can't use what they heard DA say on that call. DA was not in custody and wasn't forced to talk. Don't see a legal bar to using it.

I'm a little rusty on the Fed rules of evidence, but isn't this technically an out of court of statement, which would be hearsay? Maybe there's a glaring exception I'm forgetting about, but otherwise, I could see the defense making a motion in limine to exclude or raising an objection if brought up at trial. Nonetheless, Florida rules of evidence may differ, and I know there are a lot of exceptions to the general rule against hearsay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth