Identified! PA - White Haven, 'Beth Doe' & Unborn Baby 169UFPA, 16-22, Dec'76 - #2 - Evelyn Colon

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't usually butcher meat with a fine-toothed serrated blade. That's much more likely to be a fish knife. Maybe something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Rapala-Classic-Serrated-Fllt-Knife/dp/B001447EQE

Or possibly a standard household electric knife. Anybody remember those? I haven't seen one in years...

While my experience in butchering is limited to whole chickens from supermarkets, I don't think fish knives or electric home kitchen knives (hey, I've got one in a lovely two-tone beige/brown!) are strong enough to cut through the density of human bones.

Fine-serrated blade made me think either a hacksaw (used for cutting metal) or a band saw used for cutting metal.

I also must state that two-month old newspapers mentioned in the last page of this thread is a red herring. There are a million uses for newspaper after you've done reading them. Everybody before the digital age kept newspapers for other purposes like washing windows, cleaning up spills, etc. Even today I keep newspaper for other purposes. I'm sure a lot of people still do.

You don't usually butcher meat with a fine-toothed serrated blade. That's much more likely to be a fish knife. Maybe something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Rapala-Classic-Serrated-Fllt-Knife/dp/B001447EQE
Or possibly a standard household electric knife. Anybody remember those? I haven't seen one in years...

That's a good insight, Carbuff. Maybe the suspect was a fisherman or fishmonger? I remember those electric knives, lol. My grandfather used to carve up the Thanksgiving turkey with one.

Nikon could be right about the size of the blade, though. It depends on whether they found the tool marks on the bone, or if the killer cut through bone. A fish knife or electric knife wouldn't be sturdy enough to saw through bone, but it could cut at the joints.

Ugh. That's a horrible thought. Poor Beth.

cchhne.jpgToday I was playing around with Photoshop and I made a recon of Beth Doe with a more prominent nose. I also think that her nose would have helped her be identified. in no way am i an expert with making recons, but I thought Id upload it anyway.cchhne.jpg

I was looking back at the isotope analysis for Beth and reflecting on the probability that she'd lived in Eastern Tennessee for the last 5-10 years of her life after emigrating from Europe. Western/Central Europe is mentioned which is terribly vague but she looks distinctly Mediterranean in her most recent recon so I'd suggest she's perhaps unlikely to be Dutch/German etc. Perhaps Italian or Balkan? South of France? Czech?
Now, I know nothing about Eastern Tennessee (I live in the UK) so I had a little browse on Wikipedia and recognized a couple of city names. I was surprised to learn how small the population of these cities are; well under 200k people. I also noted that the demographics suggest that there probably aren't large established immigrant communities there. For example, only about 1% of the population is Roman Catholic. Now, it strikes me that a young immigrant girl from Europe, only settled a few years, most likely from a Mediterranean country is very probably Catholic. Possibly Orthodox Christian if she was from the Balkans. Possibly Jewish. She would have been quite unusual in Chattanooga or Knoxville in the 70s. She probably went to high school in the US at least, perhaps even her entire school career. So either she was a rare immigrant student struggling to fit in at public school, in which case, I'd imagine she'd be pretty memorable or she went to Catholic School perhaps.
Eastern Tennessee is a fair distance from Pennsylvania. I wonder how much coverage the case got back then since it wasn't local? Do you think that yearbooks from East Tennessee Catholic schools from the mid-70s might be worth looking into? Perhaps there are some alumni associations that could be contacted? Are there any resettlement charities/community organizations in Eastern Tennessee for specific ethnic groups from Europe, like an Italian community centre or Jewish welfare society?
This all assumes the isotope data is accurate though.

And she wouldn't have to be an immigrant at all. There were half a million US troops stationed at NATO bases in Europe, many with families.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And she wouldn't have to be an immigrant at all. There were half a million US troops stationed at NATO bases in Europe, many with families.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's what I was thinking, Carbuff, that maybe she was part of a military family, possibly stationed in Germany. My uncle was in the army and I think he and my aunt and cousins were stationed there for 4 years in the 70s.

I was looking back at the isotope analysis for Beth and reflecting on the probability that she'd lived in Eastern Tennessee for the last 5-10 years of her life after emigrating from Europe. Western/Central Europe is mentioned which is terribly vague but she looks distinctly Mediterranean in her most recent recon so I'd suggest she's perhaps unlikely to be Dutch/German etc. Perhaps Italian or Balkan? South of France? Czech?
Now, I know nothing about Eastern Tennessee (I live in the UK) so I had a little browse on Wikipedia and recognized a couple of city names. I was surprised to learn how small the population of these cities are; well under 200k people. I also noted that the demographics suggest that there probably aren't large established immigrant communities there. For example, only about 1% of the population is Roman Catholic. Now, it strikes me that a young immigrant girl from Europe, only settled a few years, most likely from a Mediterranean country is very probably Catholic. Possibly Orthodox Christian if she was from the Balkans. Possibly Jewish. She would have been quite unusual in Chattanooga or Knoxville in the 70s. She probably went to high school in the US at least, perhaps even her entire school career. So either she was a rare immigrant student struggling to fit in at public school, in which case, I'd imagine she'd be pretty memorable or she went to Catholic School perhaps.
Eastern Tennessee is a fair distance from Pennsylvania. I wonder how much coverage the case got back then since it wasn't local? Do you think that yearbooks from East Tennessee Catholic schools from the mid-70s might be worth looking into? Perhaps there are some alumni associations that could be contacted? Are there any resettlement charities/community organizations in Eastern Tennessee for specific ethnic groups from Europe, like an Italian community centre or Jewish welfare society?
This all assumes the isotope data is accurate though.

Tennessee is a new lead.

That's what I was thinking, Carbuff, that maybe she was part of a military family, possibly stationed in Germany. My uncle was in the army and I think he and my aunt and cousins were stationed there for 4 years in the 70s.

Do you know if there are military bases in Tennessee? Or rather, if they were there in the 70's?

I guess that's something that could be researched...

If Beth was not murdered until December, and presumably put into a suitcase at that time, why would the newspaper pieces be from September?
Who keeps newspapers for that long?

Snipped by me.

I still have a 2003 issue of The NY Sun because it was all about the blackout. For years, I'd had several papers, from the Daily News to the NYT (stuff I normally don't read) published after the last game of the 2009 World Series (and lost them after yet another move.) Of course, if you had taken other, random pages from those editions, you would have had no idea why anyone would keep them for years.
Maybe there was something significant in those papers, it might just not be so obvious?

Snipped by me.

I still have a 2003 issue of The NY Sun because it was all about the blackout. For years, I'd had several papers, from the Daily News to the NYT (stuff I normally don't read) published after the last game of the 2009 World Series (and lost them after yet another move.) Of course, if you had taken other, random pages from those editions, you would have had no idea why anyone would keep them for years.
Maybe there was something significant in those papers, it might just not be so obvious?

I will have to look again at my notes but if IRC the only thing interesting in the newspaper for that date was an article concerning how pregnant women are treated no better then dogs. Think I found it newspaper archives.

The other thing interesting about it is that it's from the day Betty Redmond disappeared in Maryland. She looks very much like Beth and was rumored to be pregnant when she disappeared, but she's been ruled out, so it's just a weird coincidence, but man.

I noticed that, too, Dot. I still wonder if CODIS ever checks UP DNA against other UPs, outside of ones they find together, like the Allenstown, NH case. If they don't, they should.

I will have to look again at my notes but if IRC the only thing interesting in the newspaper for that date was an article concerning how pregnant women are treated no better then dogs. Think I found it newspaper archives.

I should have known this had already been brought up. :)
It is more likely that there was no significance, and if I am not mistaken, there were thoughts thrown around recently about who and where would have random newspapers, which is probably more helpful than trying to figure out some sort of coded message sent via a seemingly random article (and this was a remark directed at myself. :blushing:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Annie151