WA WA - Julie Weflen, 28, Spokane, 16 Sept 1987

Julie Weflen disappeared in 1987.
The previous year in '86 in Coeur d lene Idaho (which is right accross the Washington/Idaho state line from Spokane) an exotic dancer named Sally Ann Stone disappeared right after a physical therapy appointment and a Teacher named Deborah Swanson disappeared after she went out for a jog.
Not a trace of either woman has ever been found.
I believe those two disappearences happened in pretty close proximity time wise if memory serves me.
Kathryn Gregory was a nurse who worked at Deaconess Hospital in Spokane.
Like Weflen she was an attractive brunette and was married to a local radio DJ.
Her car was found abandoned near the hospital in an area where she would not normally park .
No trace of her was ever found.I believe that was 1981.

The above quote was from kline's post #64. It pretty well sums those two cases up but they are worth goggling for anyone interested.

I live in the neighborhood and have been to the in named poi .look up "adventure dynamics" . its on pine bluff. Its pretty remote and it creeper me out to no end because although there are many welcoming signs directing you to the business/property once you get down to the entrance its like fort Knox so
With cameras everywhere and huge signs that say no trespassing,private property,do not enter etc with huge steel cattle gate ...any thoughts?

I live in the neighborhood and have been to the in named poi .look up "adventure dynamics" . its on pine bluff. Its pretty remote and it creeper me out to no end because although there are many welcoming signs directing you to the business/property once you get down to the entrance its like fort Knox so
With cameras everywhere and huge signs that say no trespassing,private property,do not enter etc with huge steel cattle gate ...any thoughts?

Yeah it's spooky for sure. The fact that he knew Julie & Debra is too much of a coincidence for me. Plus him having private land near the abduction site of Julie, & Debra was disappeared from a rock climbing area in the park. Some people claim he knew Sally Stone too. If that's a fact and he WAS acquainted with three women, all whom vanished within eighteen months of each other, never to be seen again he's got some explaining to do. From reading old newspaper articles it appears he just flat out refused to say anything to the detectives on the cases and he eventually ended up suing the Spokane Police Department for harassment. All I know is I would do everything I could to help the police if I was I innocent and had nothing to hide. Maybe I'm giving him a bum wrap but damn it don't look good----it look bad!

Awhile back I was looking at the unidentified remains of Spokane county. They were all male except the decapitated/mutalated Jane Doe found in the river/ south hill 24 years apart. But there was a single female foot found in Long lake fairly close to where Julie was abducted. I wonder if the coroner has done DNA testing on the bones?? It's been awhile since I looked at the John Doe page but I'm pretty sure it was found within 3-4 years after Julie went missing. I guess I'll check it out again and if the timeline adds up the way I remembered I'll call the coroner and see if Julie's been excluded via DNA. At this point anything's worth a shot...

Update on foot. They obviously haven't gotton DNA from the foot because it lists gender as unknown. Also it was found 10 years after Julie went missing not 3-4. I know it was found with a sock and I thought I read years ago that it was thought to be female because of the type of sock. But there's no reference to that anymore on their site. Well it wasn't that promising to begin with, but now it's even less so. If the crime lab can get DNA from it, and enter it into codis they'll know then if it's hers or anybody else's. Until then there's not really anything can be done with it.

you should call the coroner. How old is this POI?

Update on foot. They obviously haven't gotton DNA from the foot because it lists gender as unknown. Also it was found 10 years after Julie went missing not 3-4. I know it was found with a sock and I thought I read years ago that it was thought to be female because of the type of sock. But there's no reference to that anymore on their site. Well it wasn't that promising to begin with, but now it's even less so. If the crime lab can get DNA from it, and enter it into codis they'll know then if it's hers or anybody else's. Until then there's not really anything can be done with it.

Thank you for looking into this, I'm so glad people haven't forgotten about Julie. I wonder if this could be of any significance:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...-Skeletal-Remains-in-Lake-Pend-Oreille-Mar-15

I'm new to this thread but read the whole thing before posting. It is very close to home for me as both someone who grew in Eastern WA and as a woman who has worked in male dominated jobs. Spokane has grown so much since this case and while the culture may be shifting there seems to still be just as strong of a creep factor as there has always been. Thank you Kemo, the POI was very easy to find with a little googling. Is he also in the Spokane Friends of the NRA? That came up in my searching too.

I'm wondering if this POI also ran a ropes course in Elberton, WA? I remember going there in the late 90's/early 2000's as part of a school trip. Elberton is a tiny ghost town south of Spokane in the Palouse region that had been abandoned as long as I can remember. At some point it suddenly became a ropes course. Things appeared to have been very quickly built and set-up there; I have no idea if it lasted.

In response to a question from a while ago, it's easy to lookup court records for WA. It looks like he was in court (as a defendant) in 2004 but I'm not sure what for, also to court as a petitioner and plaintiff several times. Not all records include a middle initial though so I can't be sure.
https://dw.courts.wa.gov/?fa=home.namesearch&terms=accept

Is he also in the Spokane Friends of the NRA? That came up in my searching too.

Yes, I've found a lot of connections between him and various gun clubs which I find disturbing.

It will be 30 years this September. I hope he knows that people haven't forgotten.

This guy's name has come up as a POI but I have absolutely no idea why. He has property near the abduction site which may have justified LE contact but hardly elevates anyone to the POI/suspect level. I recall reading some posting that said he was uncooperative and had a bad attitude while most people who were questioned tried to be helpful. I don't know if there is anything more to it.

I have heard reference to an "older" suspect who was said to have lived near the abduction site who is now deceased. The impression I got was that he was questioned because he lived nearby and came off a little "hinky" but there was nothing of substance on him. The guy we have been discussing would not have been described as "older".

It is extremely likely that this was an opportunistic crime committed by someone who happened to be in the area. In 1987, there was little development in the area so very few people would have had reason to be there. My guess is that anyone who lived or worked around there was questioned.

It is entirely possible that Julie may have been followed from Spokane by someone who figured she might be working alone and find herself in a vulnerable situation. It appears that is what happened to Sally Stone and Deborah Swanson.

This POI was also the last person to see Deborah Swanson alive. She had told friends she was scared of him and wanted him to leave her alone. He also knew Julie and lives near to where she was abducted. There's a lot more but I've been sworn to secrecy. His name is an alias by the way...

I've been told he is suspected in the disappearance of nurse Kathryn Rahe Gregory also. She vanished from outside Deaconess hospital in Spokane never to be seen again, exactly like Julie Weflen, Deborah Swanson, & Sally Stone. (** I also want to share a warning given to me by a former SPD detective/ & this applies to anyone posting about this POI. - I don't mean to be dramatic.... but this particular POI is known to threaten the lives of anyone that mentions him as a POI. (& that former defective takes these threats seriously) He reads these forums, & since he has tried to intimidate/threaten people that mention him, I thought I should at least mention it out of caution. On that note- I highly recommend not using any identifying information on this site. It's happened to 3 people I'm aware of.)** Anyhow... at the moment I'm looking back, back at his life before he moved here from Tennessee. He changed his name for a reason & obviously moved to Washington for a reason. Maybe he was running from crimes he committed there? I'm not sure, but I hope to discover some leads on that front. There's way too much smoke around this guy for there not to be any flames.

This guy was never suspected by the cops?
The cops know exactly who he is and is their prime suspect. SPD did arrest him at one point and serve a search warrant on his property looking for evidence but it was years after Debbie Swanson & Julie Weflen disappeared and obviously not enough evidence was found to hold him because he was only in police custody for one day.

This is crazy, the POI just died in an accident. Maybe some answers will come out now? This case is nuts. No one has wanted to talk because everyone was terrified of this guy. One Detective on this case just up and went underground. I’m hoping with him gone people will do the right thing and tell what they might know. No more death threats to anyone nosing around.

This is crazy, the POI just died in an accident. Maybe some answers will come out now? This case is nuts. No one has wanted to talk because everyone was terrified of this guy. One Detective on this case just up and went underground. I’m hoping with him gone people will do the right thing and tell what they might know. No more death threats to anyone nosing around.

Is there any articles on his death? Any MSM? I have forgotten his name, haven't been here in a while.....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back