IL IL - Valerie Percy, 21, Kenilworth, 18 September 1966

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because the Hohimer/Rugendorf gang fell all over each other accusing each other of the burglary and there was a call from the Percy house to their 'lair', tells me someone in that gang probably did this burglary.

It wasn't a burglary. It was a home invasion and nothing was taken.

Indeed. They have mainly held info back rather than told lies about it, though you can see the crime lab investigator who said, in his opinion, he didn't think the stab wounds were caused by the bayonet didn't elaborate. Elsewhere, a medical examiner said the wounds were consistent with the bayonet.

I just think important files or evidence is missing.

Yes, files in old cases are often lost and, in the instance of famous cases, pilfered by souvenir hunters. Perhaps the local cops are embarrassed to reveal that.

Well, we know the bayonet and the glove are still there.

On that topic, a question I've always had about this. How does a perp go about using the handle of a bayonet to bludgeon a woman so severely it fractures her skull? How does the perp hold the bayonet to inflict these wounds without cutting their own hands? Wouldn't they have to hold the bayonet by the blade to inflict those head wounds? I'm not an expert, thats why I'm asking.

On that topic, a question I've always had about this. How does a perp go about using the handle of a bayonet to bludgeon a woman so severely it fractures her skull? How does the perp hold the bayonet to inflict these wounds without cutting their own hands? Wouldn't they have to hold the bayonet by the blade to inflict those head wounds? I'm not an expert, that's why I'm asking.
If you're holding the bayonet with your hand at your side and the blade pointing forward, the pommel/butt end of the grip will be slightly protruding from the rear of your hand. It is an easy motion to raise the bayonet above your head and strike downward with the pommel/butt end. If this isn't clear enough, I can make a video of the motion to show what I mean, but that would probably take a week or so.

Well, if they still have the glove, then there's a good chance they could get DNA off it. Fibers from the glove were found on the cut screen and in Valerie's room. Why hasn't this high profile case even mentioned anything about DNA on the glove as most other cases have done in the past?

Ten days before the judge's ruling comes out.

If you're holding the bayonet with your hand at your side and the blade pointing forward, the pommel/butt end of the grip will be slightly protruding from the rear of your hand. It is an easy motion to raise the bayonet above your head and strike downward with the pommel/butt end. If this isn't clear enough, I can make a video of the motion to show what I mean, but that would probably take a week or so.

Thanks for that information. It still seems an awkward technique. Seems like the killer would have to be fairly close to the victim to do this, assuming the butt end doesn't protrude much. It also seems it would be difficult to aim in a dark room.

Thanks for that information. It still seems an awkward technique. Seems like the killer would have to be fairly close to the victim to do this, assuming the butt end doesn't protrude much. It also seems it would be difficult to aim in a dark room.

OK, here I go speculating again. I think the killer was standing right beside Valerie's bed when he attacked her. I think he first put his free hand over her mouth to keep her quiet. This is why she didn't scream. She did strike out with her hands and legs. Since he had a hand on her mouth, it would be easy to know where to strike her head.

This is one case - along with JonBenet Ramsey and the Yogurt shop murders - where I feel we'll never find the trurh.

http://www.nbcchicago.com/investigations/sharon-percy-chicago-murder-court-records-397982261.html

Interesting. I never thought I would see this. Family want records to stay sealed

I agree. Could it be because she's married to a high profile Democrat? Didn't they get married a year after the murder? Were they engaged at the time of the murder?

Edwardsville Intelligencer 1967/08-30

The question of why the watchdog apparently never barked or attacked the intruder as he made his way across the grounds, apparently from a public beach to the east, has never been answered satisfactorily.

Despite this the murderer gained entrance to and left the house without knocking anything over or even scratching the piano, a point which indicates to some that he knew the house quite well.

Valerie Percy, however, was pronounced dead at 5:30 am, though Coroner Toman feels that the first blow, a smash on the skull, probably killed her immediately.

So, if Valerie was immediately killed on the first blow, how come her stepmother heard moaning (through two doors?)

The family left for California during the investigation and refused to answer questions from the police.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

A phone call was made from the house to a mobster's place of business sometime before the murder. The gang affiliated to that mobster all accused each other of the murder, as did jailhouse acquaintances.

Actually, in researching the papers, here's who accused who:

Leo Rugendorf accused Francis "Frank" Leroy Hohimer and stated that Josephine "Josie" Regan drove Hohimer and the gang to the Percy residence.

Harold James Evans accused Frederick D. Malchow

Mrs. James Evans accused Frederick D. Malchow

Francis Hohimer accused William Jackson, Harold James Evans & Frederick D. Malchow (Malchow admitted casing the Percy home)

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm176/pleasestandby2/malchow%20inter_zpsgvtjpypg.jpg

Harold Wayne Hohimer accused Francis Hohimer

Peter A. Makres accused Frederick D. Malchow and Francis Leroy Hohimer

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm176/pleasestandby2/hohimerconf_zpsivjmn8co.jpg

William J. "Billy" Jackson, who's still alive, and of whom not much is heard about, didn't accuse anyone (that I know of)

Linda Jackson said her brother-in-law, Billy Jackson, and three of his relatives, were responsible

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm176/pleasestandby2/jacksonpercy_zpsbgf84g1a.jpg

William J. "Billy" Jackson and Frederick D. Malchow go way back to 1960 in Wisconsin

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm176/pleasestandby2/valerie%20percy%20malchow2_zpsibjom7vp.jpg

Robert Stanfield said that Hohimer told him he had secretly inspected the Percy home two weeks before the slaying and wanted Stanfield to help burglarize the home.

But how do you explain the robbery that had taken place the night before, where the method of entry was exactly the same, and if I remember correctly, the home was very close to the Percy's. I think William Thoresen did it, and due to both families (both Thoresens and Percys) being among the richest Chicago elite, they decided to close the case and move on quietly. Thoresen was suspected (by the FBI) of smuggling firearms and ammunition for groups like the Minutemen and Black Panthers. Maybe Percy did something they didn't like politically, and this was payback? IMO, the robbery the night before was a test run.

I also think that it's very likely there is corruption going on, therefore the doctor's notes about the situation aren't tainted by it. The doctor's clues are really the only details I believe.

The question of why the watchdog apparently never barked or attacked the intruder as he made his way across the grounds, apparently from a public beach to the east, has never been answered satisfactorily.

Despite this the murderer gained entrance to and left the house without knocking anything over or even scratching the piano, a point which indicates to some that he knew the house quite well.

Valerie Percy, however, was pronounced dead at 5:30 am, though Coroner Toman feels that the first blow, a smash on the skull, probably killed her immediately.

So, if Valerie was immediately killed on the first blow, how come her stepmother heard moaning (through two doors?)

The family left for California during the investigation and refused to answer questions from home.

The dog was in an enclosed walkway on the far side of the house from the place the killer entered. The dog was also known to only bark at people in uniform, which we can assume the killer wasn't wearing. How is this unsatisfactory?

All that not scratching the piano tells me is that the killer used his flashlight and watched where he was going. WE don't much about the interior layout of the house at the time of the murder. I very much wish we did.

Immediately does not mean instantly. Many people have been conscious or semi-conscious for a time after receiving injuries that proved fatal, even injuries that should have instantly incapacitated them. There's simply too much variation in how people respond to injuries that aren't instantly fatal.

Going to California I attribute to the people running the political campaign. They were more worried about the campaign being hampered than in catching Valerie's killer.

I've said it before elsewhere. You can't trust the accusations of pro criminals. They too often lie for their own purposes. They don't care about finding the real killer.

FYI, the next court date regarding the FOIA suit on this case is Dec. 6th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong