LA LA - Belle Chasse, WhtMale 16-17, UP88342, hanged, suicide note, Feb'75

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't invested any time in this case, but based on what he wrote, there's a good chance he was loved and taken care of, and most likely was reported missing by his family at some point. However, we know how these reports were treated by LE back then, if at all.

Giucy, I completely agree with you here. :clap:

Originally Posted by Marilynilpa His comment to his parents to "ask thoroughly what I was and you will see that it is not tragic that I am gone" strikes me as an odd thing to tell your parents.
Actually, that was in the note he wrote for the investigating police, not the one to his parents.

My personal theory is he had been diagnosed with the onset of schizophrenia (he was at the common age for it). Furthermore, he may well have had a different illness, like depression, that was misdiagnosed as schizophrenia (which happened quite often in the past). The feelings of melancholia, self-hatred, and alienation, combined with the fear of mental deterioration and being institutionalized for the rest of his life drove him to suicide. I went through this in my early teens, but I was lucky as there were so many medical and diagnostic advances by the 1990s. We still have a ways to go even now, but it's so much better than it was in this poor boy's day.

Checked the cemeteries in Gretna, LA in findagrave. Looked through all (5-6) for year 1975. Most persons listed who died in 1975 were born in the late 1800s. None that would match our UID. I know findagrave doesn't have everything but thought I would let you know that it has been checked.

OT - I realize that I have the same avi as Marilyn - I just like this picture because that is how I feel most of the time. :)

HTH
I would find out who the comiler is and ask them to look through their photos, to see or call the cemetaries and see if they can tell you where the unmarked plots are and if any JDs occupy those spaces and their plot number.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Does anyone else get the feeling that this is another one of those cases where maybe the parents of this young man know/suspect that this was him and were content just to let it be? The reason I ask is because after reading the article posted about his burial and thinking about the parents of 300 missing young men coming forward to see if this was their son, it strikes me that it would be difficult for someone looking for a young man around that age at that time not to have been connected to this story.

There must have been a considerable effort to match missing persons with this young man, and there must have been a decent amount of information reported in the local area for so many families to have come forward. Was there something in the note that the parents recognized as being a message from their son? Something in the description of his clothing? Maybe they knew enough to accept that this was their son and wanted to honor his last wishes of anonymity.

However, there are two significant things that I think would have made it possible for a match not to have occurred, even if a family was actively searching:

1. The age is so off that a family looking for their son wouldn't have considered the Belle Chasse Doe a match. I know next to nothing about how age of a decedent is determined, aside from what Google just told me. What is the margin of error? Two years? Five years? More? If a family hadn't heard from their son who was 22 or 23 years old I can see this case not crossing their radar.

2. The location is so far from where people assumed he would be that they didn't hear about the case. A college kid from a family in Oregon says he'll be spending some time with friends in California and isn't heard from again. Parents don't see the AP article, LE on the West Coast doesn't hear about it, and the chance is missed.

And then there is the possibility that he was never reported missing. Maybe someone who traveled, who dropped out from time to time. This one just doesn't sit as well with me. Young man, well educated, presumably well cared for (although we don't know the specifics on that, do we?) suddenly stops calling home or visiting and the parents he clearly cares about don't report it? No one misses him? I can't accept that one. He references the fact that Mom and Dad should be allowed to carry on hope about their "missing" son and not know he was dead. He's telling us that his disappearance will be noticed, at least by them.
This has been my theory they knew it was him and just chose not to identify him out of respect.

Bravowhiskey, I think that is a pretty striking likeness to this John Doe. Even the timing seems to fit. Baynard cousins is last seen February 1 and John Doe is found two weeks later on the 14th.

Is the Cousins guy -- is his first name Bayard or Baynard? The yearbook adds an N but you guys keep referring to him as "Bayard." ..??

"It is best if I cease to live, quietly, than risk that later I will break and shatter by violence or linger years under care. I implore you to see a psychiatrist in order that you might understand my death and my life. Ask thoroughly about what I was and you will see that it is not tragic that I am gone, but more natural than if I continued."

This statement makes me think gender identity disorder.

Is the Cousins guy -- is his first name Bayard or Baynard? The yearbook adds an N but you guys keep referring to him as "Bayard." ..??

Namus lists him as Bayard.

I blew up the picture of him in the striped shirt. Kind of fuzzy but yeah, you can really see the resemblance. I'll be surprised if it's not him. (I have been surprised before. Frequently.)

bayard cousins.png

Namus lists him as Bayard.

I blew up the picture of him in the striped shirt. Kind of fuzzy but yeah, you can really see the resemblance. I'll be surprised if it's not him. (I have been surprised before. Frequently.)

View attachment 104815
It is that striped shirt that does it for me how many missing kids or young adults go missing with the exact same shirt? I would be interested to see if it Bayard as well. Pretty danged convincing.

It is that striped shirt that does it for me how many missing kids or young adults go missing with the exact same shirt? I would be interested to see if it Bayard as well. Pretty danged convincing.

The recon shows that kind of shirt, but at least some of the newspaper articles (the one in the first post, for instance) say it was a maroon and yellow knit shirt. So we probably shouldn't read that much into it.

Several people have mentioned the lack of shoes; in 1976 he would have been quite likely to have chosen loafers or topsiders with slacks and a shirt. They would likely have fallen off--could have been kicked quite some distance in his death throes--and not found.

I always thought his note sounded like he had had a bout of psychotic violence and had subsequently been diagnosed with schizophrenia. If that was the case, he would realistically have been looking at a lifetime in and out of mental institutions; treatment options in 1976 were very limited. Read One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest for one portrait of the inside of an institution at the time. Poor guy.

Has anyone submitted him ?

Bayard? Yes, he's been submitted, and the LEO handling his case thought it was a very real possibility.

I don't know about Perry Corlew. I think we decided Dermot Kelly was too far off on both circumstances and appearance (blue eyes versus UID's brown) but that might not be enough to rule it out.

He looks Asian to me, is there any definitive mention on his ethnicity?

Has there been any updates on this case? This is one that has caught my attention from the research I've done the MP Bayard Cousins seems to be the best possibly match...just a curious question a few post back someone mentioned they knew which funeral home held the body and the father and son were both living has anyone contacted them sent a picture of the MP Cousins?maybe they could help with identity and the vicinity of where the JD was buried....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member