GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU law professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #4 *Arrests*

Status
Not open for further replies.
During the past few months, after SG and LR were arrested, CA might have threatened KM.
Example: CA says to KM - If you are arrested and if you snitch on me or any of my family, know that I have already hired a hit on your children. So if I’m arrested, expect your children to die.
What a quandary!
Speculation only.

if that's the case, i think LE can assure her that her family will be protected. and she has to be in survival mode at this point - looking for a lifeline and a friend.

right, but he hired these bumbling idiots to kill Dan. where is he going to find someone to kill her kids? what with him being tailed by LE I am sure.

During the past few months, after SG and LR were arrested, CA might have threatened KM.
Example: CA says to KM - If you are arrested and if you snitch on me or any of my family, know that I have already hired a hit on your children. So if I’m arrested, expect your children to die.
What a quandary!
Speculation only.

Maybe KM will get 5 years probation . . .

There are interesting similarities in the 1998 murder-for-hire of the ex-son-in-law of Grandma Ann Trexler.
The go-between got a ‘deal’ of 5 years probation, while the hirer and the hitman both got life in prison.
The go-between was K Miller, who was Grandma Ann’s hairdresser.
K Miller’s boyfriend was A Perez who killed Trexler’s ex-son-in-law.
Trexler paid $10,000 to Miller, which Miller gave to Perez.
Miller, who faced 15 to 30 years in prison if convicted of accessory to murder, agreed to testify against Trexler in exchange for five years probation on a reduced charge of compounding a felony.

http://www.pcnhhalifax.com/archives/article.php?id=53715&q=&bd=2005-01-26&ed=2005-02-01

The state has a stronger case against KM in this case they did against this Miller woman. It was more than just them tracing the murder weapon back to her - Rivera can testify that she set up the entire hit. She can't get too greedy...unless she wants to risk life, she has to plea.

Lat had met Wendi Adelson through Dan Markel one time in Washington DC. He mentions this in an article posted a few months back. He may not practice law right now, but he has been a federal prosecutor and practiced law for a few firms.

See his bio here: Managing Editor
David Lat
David Lat is the founding editor of Above the Law. Lat’s writing has also appeared in the New York Times, the Washington Post, the New York Observer, Washingtonian magazine, and New York magazine, among other publications. Prior to ATL, David worked as a federal prosecutor in Newark, New Jersey; a litigation associate at Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz, in New York; and a law clerk to Judge Diarmuid F. O’Scannlain, of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit. David graduated from Harvard College, magna *advertiser censored* laude and Phi Beta Kappa, and Yale Law School, where he served as book reviews editor of the Yale Law Journal. He has received several awards for his work on ATL, including recognition as an ABA Journal Legal Rebel, a group of innovators within the legal profession, and inclusion as a member of the Fastcase50, “the fifty most interesting, provocative, and courageous leaders in the world of law, scholarship, and legal technology.”

I regret posting about this topic. To be clear, my post noting that he no longer practices law was not intended to devalue him in any way, but was in response to a comment wondering if David Lat was working for/with the As defense lawyers. He's a highly accomplished lawyer and commentator.

The state has a stronger case against KM in this case they did against this Miller woman. It was more than just them tracing the murder weapon back to her - Rivera can testify that she set up the entire hit. She can't get too greedy...unless she wants to risk life, she has to plea.
But not only was the murder weapon traced back to Miller, Miller also ‘hired’ her boyfriend Perez as the hitman, and Miller accepted the $10,000 payment from Trexler, the person who wanted her ex-son-in-law killed.

Similar scenarios exist with the alleged role of KM in the Markel murder and the role of Miller in the Stovall murder:

Allegedly, KM set up the hit at the request of the A’s.
KM was the facilitator who ‘hired’ her boyfriend SG to kill Dan Markel, Grandma A’s ex-son-in-law.
KM transferred part of the $100,000 cash payment from the A’s to the hitmen.

Miller set up the hit at the request of Grandma Trexler.
Miller was the facilitator who ‘hired’ her boyfriend Perez to kill Ronald Stovall, Grandma Trexler’s ex-son-in-law.
Miller accepted $10,000 from Grandma Trexler and in turn paid the $10,000 to her hitman boyfriend Perez.

http://www.pcnhhalifax.com/archives/txt/2000/03/14/GOLD0222.TXT
Mar 14, 2000
Perez pleaded guilty in September to the murder and was sentenced to life in prison after a penalty hearing. During that hearing, he said that his girlfriend, Kimberly Ann Miller, asked him to kill Stovall at Trexler's request.
Police Chief David Slusser complimented Pate and the other investigators who worked on what has been described as the most complicated murder in Bay County history.

http://www.pcnhhalifax.com/archives/article.php?id=53715&q=&bd=2005-01-26&ed=2005-02-01

Thanks to GordonX for this link - https://mylifeofcrime.wordpress.com/2008/05/11/killer-grandma-on-snapped/

http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_...s-novel-reveals-about-dan-markels-murder.html
Wednesday, October 19, 2016
What Wendi Adelson's Novel Reveals About Dan Markel's Murder

By Paul Caron

Wendi Adelson's Criminally Lousy Novel, This is Our Story:

In spite of the intense publicity generated by the lurid murder mystery starring herself, I do not believe anyone has yet explored Adelson’s novel as a possible window into the self-perception of its enigmatic author.
Even at the risk of death by Prius-driving hitman, I am compelled endorse the latex Markel’s decision not to read his wife's novel. This is Our Story is inartful, shallow, clichéd, oddly bland given its human trafficking theme, and terribly self-important. Interestingly though, Adelson states that her book purports to tell, in substantial part, her own story. In an afterword to her novel, Adelson states that “I, selfishly, wanted you to know a bit about my story, which has much – but not all – in common with Attorney Lily” (i.e. the main character in the novel). Adelson, Wendi (2011-09-12). This is Our Story (Kindle Locations 3948-3949). Kindle Edition. ...

The reason why i think DM might have secretly read the book..
He knew darn well the husband in the novel was based on himself and drawn in an unflattering light, thus he called it a " work of fiction".

The reason why i do not think DM read the book..
Because he could not bring himself to help endorse a book that he inherently knew was not a good one.

imo, speculation.

Above the Law has done some good journalism in the past, including on this case, but I think it's fair for people on this message board and elsewhere to offer both criticism and praise of ATL's work when warranted. Like any journalist, it's impossible for Mr. Lat to be 100% objective at all times. We all carry with us our own biases based on our experience, and no one can suppress their biases around the clock. Beyond having met WA, I think Mr. Lat's takes on the spin put out by the As' lawyers are probably also colored by the fact that he was himself a BIGLAW attorney and an Assistant U.S. Attorney, and has built a website that caters to people who are interested in gossip about lawyers who are perceived as being prestigious or distinguished. When you spend most of your time covering those topics and associating with those types of people, it's possible to become subject to journalistic "capture" where you adopt sympathies and biases towards your subjects, or are more inclined to accept what they tell you. In the same way that business or tech journalists can sometimes get too cozy with the people they write about, the same can happen with legal journalists. In the case of Mr. Lat's coverage of this case, I think his occasional credulous treatment regarding the As' lawyers spin is probably partially a product of his favorable feelings about their posh legal team. I'm sure he's doing his best to be objective but this is a mild bias that I perceive in his coverage. ETA: this is in addition to the fact that it can be uncomfortable for anyone, including journalists, to consider and openly discuss the possibility that someone you know personally could have been involved in this type of activity. IMHO.

The reason why i think DM might have secretly read the book..
He knew darn well the husband in the novel was based on himself and drawn in an unflattering light, thus he called it a " work of fiction".

I haven't read it myself, but from the 'Outside the law school' blog summary, it reveals the shallow, petty, emotional immaturity of the author/Lily character WA, rather than anything actually unflattering about her depicted spouse.

It boggles my mind how she could have written that for publication as some sort of legally meaningful document, and expected her husband to support it. I'm beginning to realize that the A's don't occupy the same universe as the rest of us.

Just a thought, a speculation, " a fanciful fiction" if you will, but, any chance SG's lawyers might suggest that there was a lady spectator present at the crucial time, and that SG and LR were actually hired to take the fall?
If someone was aware that LE would likely take gun residue samples from their person, would they be able to take measures to ensure none are found?
imo, speculation.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3012658/t...-murder-of-canadian-law-professor-in-florida/
“He said ‘Katie told me this lady’s going to hire me, but I want you to go with me,”‘ Rivera said, noting that Garcia promised him $35,000. “They were hiring him, they were not hiring me.”
The two men ended up making two separate trips to Tallahassee, Rivera said, and Markel was killed on the second one.
The day before the murder, however, when Rivera and Garcia were driving outside Markel’s house, a woman was walking along the street with two children, Rivera said.
“I ask Garcia, ‘What’s up with this lady, why she looking so much? He said ‘Oh, that’s that lady, that’s Wendi,” Rivera said. ” I said ‘What is she doing up here? (He said) ‘She came to make sure everything’s all right because he’s leaving out of town tomorrow, so it’s got to get done tomorrow morning before he leaves.”‘

Just a thought, a speculation, " a fanciful fiction" if you will, but, any chance SG's lawyers might suggest that there was a lady spectator present at the crucial time, and that SG and LR were actually hired to take the fall?
If someone was aware that LE would likely take gun residue samples from their person, would they be able to take measures to ensure none are found?
imo, speculation.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3012658/t...-murder-of-canadian-law-professor-in-florida/

I'm feeling so sad for those two boys whose lives are about to be so disrupted :(.

I'm feeling so sad for those two boys whose lives are about to be so disrupted :(.
I suspect the boys have lived in chaos and disruption since their Mom decided she wasn't happy.

Ripping them from their Dad and taking them to Miami, only grudgingly (on Mom's part) returning to their home and Dad, only to live at two separate residences (with one that was plotting their Dad's demise) only to have him forever ripped from their lives at the hands of a violet death, only to return to Miami to live amongst a den of snakes.

This disruption will be tough but I hope the boys will finally be on a path to normalcy with those who love them. And then disruption again when they are old enough to know and understand the full truth and extent of evilness that exists on their maternal side of the family.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

I suspect the boys have lived in chaos and disruption since their Mom decided she wasn't happy.

Ripping them from their Dad and taking them to Miami, only grudgingly (on Mom's part) returning to their home and Dad, only to live at two separate residences (with one that was plotting their Dad's demise) only to have him forever ripped from their lives at the hands of a violet death, only to return to Miami to live amongst a den of snakes.

This disruption will be tough but I hope the boys will finally be on a path to normalcy with those who love them. And then disruption again when they are old enough to know and understand the full truth and extent of evilness that exists on their maternal side of the family.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Well put.

Well. WA obviously thinks of Dan as a latex.

So she is either having fun with the death of Dan. Or she is ill for saying that.

But Jmo of why Wendi is guilty.

Now she jokes about Dan after his death.

But where are her jokes about how her brother and mother are about to go to jail for life ?

So please Wendi.

Can you please show your humor about how your family is up shitz creek.

So where are your jokes now?

Oh. Let me guess. Your jokes were only for Dan and his grave.

But you no longer think its funny since your brother and mom and dad are going away soon. Jmo

Above the Law has done some good journalism in the past, including on this case, but I think it's fair for people on this message board and elsewhere to offer both criticism and praise of ATL's work when warranted. Like any journalist, it's impossible for Mr. Lat to be 100% objective at all times. We all carry with us our own biases based on our experience, and no one can suppress their biases around the clock. Beyond having met WA, I think Mr. Lat's takes on the spin put out by the As' lawyers are probably also colored by the fact that he was himself a BIGLAW attorney and an Assistant U.S. Attorney, and has built a website that caters to people who are interested in gossip about lawyers who are perceived as being prestigious or distinguished. When you spend most of your time covering those topics and associating with those types of people, it's possible to become subject to journalistic "capture" where you adopt sympathies and biases towards your subjects, or are more inclined to accept what they tell you. In the same way that business or tech journalists can sometimes get too cozy with the people they write about, the same can happen with legal journalists. In the case of Mr. Lat's coverage of this case, I think his occasional credulous treatment regarding the As' lawyers spin is probably partially a product of his favorable feelings about their posh legal team. I'm sure he's doing his best to be objective but this is a mild bias that I perceive in his coverage. ETA: this is in addition to the fact that it can be uncomfortable for anyone, including journalists, to consider and openly discuss the possibility that someone you know personally could have been involved in this type of activity. IMHO.

I think what's actually going on is that Above the Law is a media outlet. If David Lat is too accusatory before all the facts are in (and before the A's are arrested), they could sue him. Not that they would win, but getting sued isn't fun or cheap even if the lawsuit is totally bogus. So he's just being really careful.

I think what's actually going on is that Above the Law is a media outlet. If David Lat is too accusatory before all the facts are in (and before the A's are arrested), they could sue him. Not that they would win, but getting sued isn't fun or cheap even if the lawsuit is totally bogus. So he's just being really careful.

I agree.

I'd also rather read his blog than try to navigate the TaxprofTypepad, with its inscrutable dawn-of-the-web design.

I suspect WA has been cherished and protected for a very long time, to her own detriment as a moral agent. I doubt she was ready for marriage, kids, life as "the spouse" of a successful prof. Her options included leaving him, but for whatever reason that wasn't enough. I think they're all in this together in various ways and questions about who did what when are perhaps beside the point. It was a family mirage, and a family murder. I think the As will go down for it, even if WA doesn't.

"My interpretation of the breakup scene is that author Wendi Adelson was signaling through her fiction that she not only wanted to divorce Markel, but that she also wanted him out of the lives of her kids. The naming question in the novel foreshadows Adelson’s real life behavior, post murder, in changing her children’s surnames from Markel to Adelson and removing the middle name of one son because it referenced Markel’s deceased grandmother.

I think it is also likely that Adelson wrote the novel in order to promote herself as the public face of the morally unimpeachable cause of female antislavery, notwithstanding her lack of literary talent, her relatively meager academic credentials, and her relative inexperience as a practicing lawyer. This is Our Story was chosen as featured reading for the thousands of incoming freshmen at Florida State, and was also enthusiastically profiled in the Florida Bar News.

In the novel, Lily’s heroic work is obstructed by a clueless and condescending husband whom she has outgrown. Hubby Josh whines and snivels, but ultimately accepts his marching orders. However, discarding Josh’s real-life model seems to have been a messier proposition."

http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_...s-novel-reveals-about-dan-markels-murder.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marlenewatches