Geographic Profiling

wonder why no one has ever really mentioned that skull mural that used to be in gilgo(i think it's gone now)--i think the number of skulls in it matches

and what about the time-out dolls?

Hi CriminalMinds,

I am new to this case. Can you please elaborate on this if not off topic, or please link me to more about this? Tia.

Margarita25,
Can you describe how to indicate on a map the exact line of a specific direction from Gilgo Beach 4 Site? I'm trying to intersect "Straight East" from AC4 site with 125 degress ESE from the GB4 victims' site.
I know how to find the coordinates, and also found intersections on Portugal Island & Bermuda (much closer), but I can't determine if a vector of 125 degrees ESE intersects with east of AC4 at any significant site. I can't find anything in the Atlantic yet that fits, but I just wondered if you could explain how to do this? Please?

Thx Margarita25

I think you're generally looking for an "as the crow flies" approach.

http://tjpeiffer.com/crowflies.html

Margarita25,
Can you describe how to indicate on a map the exact line of a specific direction from Gilgo Beach 4 Site? I'm trying to intersect "Straight East" from AC4 site with 125 degress ESE from the GB4 victims' site.
I know how to find the coordinates, and also found intersections on Portugal Island & Bermuda (much closer), but I can't determine if a vector of 125 degrees ESE intersects with east of AC4 at any significant site. I can't find anything in the Atlantic yet that fits, but I just wondered if you could explain how to do this? Please?

Thx Margarita25

You want to indicate a direction? Are you using google maps engine? I would use the draw a line or shape tool. is that what you meant?

ETA: Re above post. You can use the measuring tool too, to measure any distance in any direction within google maps engine

I am referring this question to two of our great mappers here, Forager and Skibaboo. Sending them a note, hopefully they can take a look. :wave:

Sorry marg, my heads a bit all over the place today lol Hope that helps, if not maybe Forager has a better idea.

Margarita25,

Thx Margarita25

Docrocker,

Mags forwarded me a link to this question of yours. Google My Maps doesn't afford a direct way to set vectors based on exact bearings, but it does let you plot lines, and its projection is nicely Cartesian, so you should be able to plots the two straight lines you describe relatively accurately. Use the squiggly line icon to draw the line. (The icon is the one at the top of the straight black line drawn I drew using the tool in the screen shot below).

Screenshot 2016-11-20 at 12.30.28 PM.png

I'm afraid that you have to eyeball the directions, but a horizontal line will be true east west. You'll have to eyeball your east-southeast line (a plastic protractor laid over your screen should help), but it too would be straight on this map (not curving with the earth as you would have on some other map projections). Please let me know if I'm misunderstanding your question an you need more. I'm not well enough up on the LISK case to identify the Gilgo Beach 4 and AC4 points and plot the lines myself, but I'd be happy to if you posted a map of yours with the points identified. I could then copy it and add the lines (without changing your original) before sending a link to the copy back to you.

Forager

"Rossmo used the background of the attacks to establish a perimeter, or boundaries within an area the rapist might live or work, that - when placed over a map pinpointing the crime sites - formed a triangle."

Posted this on another unrelated thread, but works here too.
http://www.popcenter.org/learning/60steps/index.cfm?stepNum=16
attachment.php

Coincidental to docrocker's post about Bermuda ( triangle)
http://www.itv.com/news/2016-10-25/...-explain-the-mystery-of-the-bermuda-triangle/
Stretching again, but could astronomy have any connection to placement of the victims?

Attachments

• step_16.gif
    step_16.gif
    12.4 KB · Views: 89
I was wondering if some of these victims were part of a huge underground sex trafficking ring? Also some of the mutilations could be a satanic sacrifice?

http://www.nytimes.com/1988/04/03/nyregion/long-island-opinion-drink-deep-and-let-the-stars-shine-in.html
GROWING up in Queens, I had an intense interest in astronomy. I was given a telescope and learned the constellations. Older, I moved to the East End of Long Island, along a belt of woodland where the lights of scattered neighbors were far fewer than the stars above. Far from the light pollution of Queens, I could now see the night sky in all its glory (there is no other way to put it)

http://www.constellation-guide.com/summer-triangle/
attachment.php

The Summer Triangle is as noticeable in the summer sky as Orion constellation is in the winter. In fact, the asterism is so prominent in the sky that it was once used for navigation. It was referred to as the Navigator’s Triangle by U.S. military navigators before GPS systems and other navigational equipment took over. In the summer months, the Summer Triangle can be found directly overhead in mid-northern latitudes, but it is visible at other times of year, too. In spring, it lies in the east in the early morning hours and, in fall, it can be seen in the west in the evening until November. In mid-northern latitudes, the asterism can be seen at any time of year at some point in the night. In southern latitudes, the Summer Triangle appears upside down and is visible low in the sky in winter.

Attachments

• Summer-Triangle-Vega-Deneb-Altair-300x211.png
    Summer-Triangle-Vega-Deneb-Altair-300x211.png
    18 KB · Views: 106
You want to indicate a direction? Are you using google maps engine? I would use the draw a line or shape tool. is that what you meant?

ETA: Re above post. You can use the measuring tool too, to measure any distance in any direction within google maps engine

Sorry marg, my heads a bit all over the place today lol Hope that helps, if not maybe Forager has a better idea.

Docrocker,

Mags forwarded me a link to this question of yours. Google My Maps doesn't afford a direct way to set vectors based on exact bearings, but it does let you plot lines, and its projection is nicely Cartesian, so you should be able to plots the two straight lines you describe relatively accurately. Use the squiggly line icon to draw the line. (The icon is the one at the top of the straight black line drawn I drew using the tool in the screen shot below).

attachment.php

I'm afraid that you have to eyeball the directions, but a horizontal line will be true east west. You'll have to eyeball your east-southeast line (a plastic protractor laid over your screen should help), but it too would be straight on this map (not curving with the earth as you would have on some other map projections). Please let me know if I'm misunderstanding your question an you need more. I'm not well enough up on the LISK case to identify the Gilgo Beach 4 and AC4 points and plot the lines myself, but I'd be happy to if you posted a map of yours with the points identified. I could then copy it and add the lines (without changing your original) before sending a link to the copy back to you.

Forager

Thanks, guys! :wave:

Does anyone know if any members are building GIS layers in Google Earth? I started a point file for missing women in TN (that's where I live) and quickly was overwhelmed with the number of missing from the bigger cities. I used to be a researcher using GIS and image analysis (now disabled) and decided to dig around a little before re-inventing the wheel....

Does anyone know if any members are building GIS layers in Google Earth? I started a point file for missing women in TN (that's where I live) and quickly was overwhelmed with the number of missing from the bigger cities. I used to be a researcher using GIS and image analysis (now disabled) and decided to dig around a little before re-inventing the wheel....

Fantastic. Welcome. :)

I was wondering if some of these victims were part of a huge underground sex trafficking ring? Also some of the mutilations could be a satanic sacrifice?

:welcome4:

Both of those ideas have been mentioned, but I don't think anyone has posted any research that they have found indicating one way or another!

:welcome:
I don't think anyone has posted anything outside of what Shadowraith's posted upthread. Please feel free to share anything you might put together!

I'm watching the end of Episode 3 right now. I'm noting for reference fwiw that they just mentioned that the AC 4 were found in Egg Harbor which 14 miles from AC. Im wondering if 14 miles could also be applicable to anything re: the GB4.

I'm watching the end of Episode 3 right now. I'm noting for reference fwiw that they just mentioned that the AC 4 were found in Egg Harbor which 14 miles from AC. Im wondering if 14 miles could also be applicable to anything re: the GB4.
Interesting that there are several airports near Egg Harbor. I'm still saying Pilot.

Interesting that there are several airports near Egg Harbor. I'm still saying Pilot.

Watch air show at Jones Beach..
http://airshow.jonesbeach.com/
There are two ways that one can watch the show: from the beach or from a boat. Some have asked me if the show can be seen from other surrounding beaches, and the answer is probably yes. However, you will be nowhere near airhsow center (where all the action takes place and the acts are centered around) and you will not hear Mr. Reider's commentary. So for the best viewing experience, stay with Jones Beach itself.
For those with boats, the show can be viewed from Zach's Bay or from the ocean. However, there are restrictions as to where in the ocean the show can be watched. I was able to find these parameters for the 2005 show, and I can only assume that they will be the same for this year. And if they aren't exactly the same, the worst that can happen is the Coast Guard will yell at you and tell you to move. No biggie.

"Sec. 165.T01-033 Safety Zone; Jones Beach Air show, Jones Beach, Wantagh, NY. .. (a) Location. Beginning at a point on land located in Jones Beach State Park at approximate position 40[deg]35'06'' N, 073[deg]32'37'' W, then running east along the shoreline of Jones Beach State Park to approximate position 40[deg]35'49'' N, 073[deg]28'47'' W; then running south to an position in the Atlantic Ocean off of Jones Beach at approximate position 40[deg]34'23'' N, 073[deg]32'23'' W; then running west to approximate position 40[deg]35'05'' N, 073[deg]28'34'' W; then running north to the point of beginning at approximate position 40[deg]35'06'' N, 073[deg]32'37'' W. All coordinates are North American Datum 1983."
attachment.php

Directions to the American Airpower Museum:
Long Island Expressway
Visitors may arrive at the museum from the Long Island Expressway by exiting south on Exit 49, Route 110. Following the LIRR trestle, make a left on Conklin Avenue, proceed to New Highway and turn right. Pass two hangars and make a right hand turn into museum parking. The museum entrance is the red door at the hangar marked "American Airpower Museum."
https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Jone...5bea03863deee8!2m2!1d-73.3976229!2d40.6184346
8 min (6.8 miles)
Jones Beach
to
Gilgo Beach, NY

via Ocean Pkwy E

Attachments

• airshow2.jpg
    airshow2.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 100
I guess once my medical retirement comes through, I will research since it hasn't been done.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back