GUILTY Australia - Mason Jet Lee, 21 mos, Caboolture, Qld, 11 June 2016 *mother and stepfather guilty*

Thanks Champaign. Bloody good job he didn't get bail too. From your link:

Mason Jet Lee: Mother's boyfriend denied bail over Caboolture toddler's death

'Justice Flanagan said there was a strong case against Mr O'Sullivan and he posed a potential risk to witnesses in the case.

His trial is not expected to take place until 2018.'

Do you reckon 2018 is correct for a trial start date?

This is one of the saddest child abuse cases I have ever heard of....that poor little defenseless soul didn't stand a chance with the horrific injuries his little body had to suffer.....Death penalty should be brought in for extreme cases like this.....I am brought to tears every time I see his sad little face...MOO

The 'statistics' are equally shocking. These children are not just mere 'statistics', they are victims and irreplaceable human potential lost forever. I know who I see as expendable and it's not the child victims - the perpetrators are the ones we could do without.

Child abuse and neglect statistics

Child deaths from abuse and neglect

The numbers are shocking and heartbreaking, and they're the ones that have been reported and thoroughly investigated, so many are going undiscovered. :cry:

It's good that emotional abuse has now been recognized as a form of child maltreatment.

2018 would be pretty right. It takes a while to gather evidence etc for a case. Tostee took two years to go to trial. I imagine the Thorburn case will be in 2018 as well. But I could be wrong.

Just a little more from another MSM article wrt O'Sullivan's failed bid fir bail:

'His lawyers argued O'Sullivan should be granted bail, saying he was willing to undergo counselling and was not a risk of reoffending or fleeing.

However, the crown prosecutor argued O'Sullivan would pose an unacceptable risk to the safety of other people, including Mason's mother.'

Mason Jet Lee: Court denies bail for accused killer William Andrew O'Sullivan

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...ds-after-mason-lee-death-20161123-gsvgko.html

Minister says Child Safety Caboolture region has been under incredible pressure, staff allocation hasn't kept up with demand, but workers, supervisors and managers are to blame. Twelve staff referred to Ethical Standards branch, three stood down with pay pending final report. Proposed remedy is an extra regional director.

That's my biassed summary, you'd better read it yourselves.

This case makes me physically ill

It makes me sick as well. I grew up with siblings that had asthma (hospital stay) and another brother with a bad flu who didn't. want me infected. Who are these people???? A sick child isn't hard to detect. The suffering isn't something I will EVER understand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

This is where the hopelessness feeling comes in, as we post here, there is a child or children being horribly abused by their own caregivers. :cry:

This event breaks my heart. What I do know is that child care employees are now require to report abuse. This is new. As a person, I can't help f w of the world but be aware and report.

This was on the news tonight. 3 people have been stood down. It was on the ABC news just now. Does anyone have that link?

This was on the news tonight. 3 people have been stood down. It was on the ABC news just now. Does anyone have that link?

Mason Jet Lee: Child protection staff stood down over 'errors of judgement' after report into toddler's death

'Twelve protection staff facing disciplinary action for "errors of judgement" leading up to the death of Caboolture toddler Mason Jet Lee should not be made scapegoats for what is a flawed system, a union has said.

Three child safety service centre staff have also been stood down after the 21-month-old's death from peritonitis in June.

Mason suffered traumatic injuries in the day before his death.

In July, Queensland's Health Minister ordered an investigation into why the toddler had been allowed to go home after being treated in hospital.

Queensland Child Safety Minister Shannon Fentiman said the three people stood down were a child safety officer, a team leader, and the manager of the service centre.

The Together Union said it was not convinced the officers would get a decent hearing.

Union spokesman Alex Scott said the staff should not be investigated by the same department that failed to provide them with enough resources leading up to Mason's death.

"The Minister, the director-general and the department all need to own responsibility for the failures in the system," he said.

"Mistakes will be made, and officers will and should be held accountable for it.

"But the people making the judgement about the nature of those mistakes should be coming at it with clean hands.

"We don't believe the director-general and the ethical standards unit of the department, which has understaffed and overworked these officer, should be the one making that call."

High-risk cases being reviewed

Other "high risk" child safety cases worked on by the officers who were stood down are now being reviewed.'

Audio: Report into toddler's death damning of child safety officers

'The Queensland Government has announced the closure of a child safety office north of Brisbane after the death of toddler Mason Jet Lee earlier this year. Twelve staff have been referred to the ethical standards committee and three stood down, after a report into the toddler's death revealed serious flaws at the Caboolture centre. Details of the report are still confidential but the Opposition in Queensland says it points to a child protection system in crisis.'

"A doctor that saw Caboolture toddler Mason Jet Lee said the child's injuries were 'more severe than anything I had seen in 40 years'.

Dr Brian Patten first saw Mason in February at Caboolture Hospital, north of Brisbane, and again in March, which is when he raised the alarm to child safety authorities.

'I expressed to her my high level of concern regarding the decision made by [the Department of Child Safety] to allow Mason to be sent home,' Dr Patten said."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...e-boy-Mason-Jet-Lee-report.html#ixzz4Qt7TJPjO

Mason Jet Lee: Child Safety Minister defends decision not to release report on dead toddler

'A report suggesting Queensland child safety workers made serious errors of judgement in the case of a toddler who died north of Brisbane will not be released publicly, despite the Premier's earlier suggestion that it would.'

'Queensland's Child Safety Minister Shannon Fentiman said the report found staff may have breached laws, standards, codes and procedures when dealing with Mason and his family.

The Opposition has called for the internal report to be released.'

'But Ms Fentiman said it was just the first step in a string of reviews and investigations, including by the coroner, police, the Child Death Review Panel, and the Queensland Family and Child Commission.

She said she would take the unprecedented step of releasing the panel's final report.

We have to let the experts now do their job, and that's to review this material and look at whether or not there are any broader systemic issues in the department," Ms Fentiman said.​

"And that final report will contain much of this [internal] report, and that will be released in January.

"But I'm not going to prejudice the work that an expert child death review panel has to do and the work that the family and child commission has to do."

However, hours later Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk appeared to contradict her Minister.

Asked if the internal report should be released now, the Premier said:

"The report will be released publicly, however it has now been forwarded to the panel, the Children's Death Review Panel that has to go through that report in detail.​

"I want to give them the opportunity to do their job and do their job thoroughly, and then ... the Government will ensure that that report is released."

Ms Palaszczuk's office later clarified that the Government would not be releasing the report.

Ms Palaszczuk said she had given Ms Fentiman the resources to make the department work efficiently, citing new frontline service officers.

Yesterday, Ms Fentiman said even with new staff the Caboolture region was still failing to meet demand.'

"A doctor that saw Caboolture toddler Mason Jet Lee said the child's injuries were 'more severe than anything I had seen in 40 years'.

Dr Brian Patten first saw Mason in February at Caboolture Hospital, north of Brisbane, and again in March, which is when he raised the alarm to child safety authorities.

'I expressed to her my high level of concern regarding the decision made by [the Department of Child Safety] to allow Mason to be sent home,' Dr Patten said."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...e-boy-Mason-Jet-Lee-report.html#ixzz4Qt7TJPjO

Seems there's an Health Department investigation:

'Actions of doctors who treated Mason to be probed

Ms Fentiman said a separate health department investigation was underway into the actions of doctors who saw Mason.

"Mason's legacy has to be a stronger system, where agencies share information and that's what we're doing," Ms Fentiman said.​

"We have to get to the bottom of what happened so that this doesn't happen again."'

Mason Jet Lee: Child Safety Minister defends decision not to release report on dead toddler

It seems there may be intergovernmental infighting, fingers are being pointed and everyone is rushing to cover their arses.

'In the best interests of the child' is 'Child Services' catch cry whenever their decisions (which often result in the indiscriminate fracturing of families) are challenged, yet they continue to let seriously abused children such as little Mason (and Tiahleigh Palmer) 'fall through the cracks' and become mere statistics in their annual 'Child Deaths in Care' reports IMO.

I just wanted to make the point again that the 'standing downs' aren't sackings. Those staff are being placed on paid leave for several months until the final report is in, after which a decision will be made as to whether anyone should be disciplined etc. Depending on their temperaments it could be a very anxious time, or a nice long Christmas break.

Drug tests made mandatory for parents of at-risk kids, Opposition says policy ignores real issues

'Parents of at-risk children will face mandatory random drug testing under a new policy introduced by the Queensland Government, but the Opposition has said the policy misses the mark.'

'Drug tests wouldn't have helped Mason Lee'

'Opposition child safety spokeswoman Ros Bates said there is already a policy requiring addicted parents to consent to drug testing.

She said the new program missed the mark.

"Drug testing wouldn't have made an ounce of difference to Mason Lee because child safety didn't even go to see him in hospital," she said, referring to the Caboolture toddler who died in June from suspected abuse.

"So the child safety officer took an order out without ever having sighted the child.'

"Drug testing of parents won't make any difference in child safety if we don't have child safety officers with enough resources to investigate the kids in the first place."

Mason Jet Lee: New charges laid against toddler's mother and her partner
BY STEPHANIE SMAIL
FRI JAN 20 19:16:03 EST 2017

'The mother of fatally injured toddler Mason Jet Lee and her partner are facing new child cruelty charges for allegedly failing to provide adequate medical assistance to the 21 month old.'

'The pair have already been charged with manslaughter, along with 17-year-old Ryan Robert Barry Hodson, who also lived at the home where Mason died.

Police will now allege his mother, 27-year-old Lee, and her partner, 36-year-old O'Sullivan, failed to provide adequate medical assistance to the boy between 23 December 2015 and 13 February 2016.

They have been charged with one count each of cruelty to children and are due to appear in the Caboolture Magistrates Court on February 6.'

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooreknowledge
Back