Actress/Author Carrie Fisher, 60, has Passed Away

Treelights, thank God your hubby is doing OK. Very frightening experience.

This is a really dumb question but here goes, did the pilot make everyone, including the passengers administering CPR sit down for landing?

I swear I read something in an article about this and now I can't find it.

Would a pilot really do this?

Thanks,
Tricia

Gosh, I sure hope not. Time and continuous CPR or ALS is everything in these situations. Oxygenated blood needs to be circulated with rescue breathing (or ambu bag) and chest compression's. Without it there would be no oxygen to the brain and other vital organs.

Wow Jax, Thank you. I will tweet this as well. Wish I could thank you on Twitter but no room I swear.

Really? Really stop CPR? I'm sorry I would refuse.

Same here Tricia.

If you knew that your CPR was the only thing keeping the patient's brain and other vital organs oxygenated how could you possible stop?

No RN or paramedic I know would stop CPR and take their seat. They'd refuse and deal with the fall-out later. I know I sure as hell wouldn't. J/S

I completely agree! I was just sitting here thinking, they would have to pry me off my patient!!

Probably all passengers and flight attendants were asked to be seated. I'm thinking that those attending Ms. Fisher found a row with seats together, put arm rests down, and had her lying down across the seats for whatever medical procedures they conducted. They could have been seated for the actual touchdown and then quickly resumed their positions at her side. :moo:

For CPR to be effective, the patient must be on a firm flat surface.

I just checked with the two pilots in my family.

They say no one would stop CPR for any reason unless you were in mortal danger.

No pilots pay attention to those instructions. They have many possible explanations they have thought of concerning who would ever have laid down those inane instructions.

Stopping CPR during landing? Not going to happen. This from my two experts.

I don't know about the former, but BBM- That is what I read last night yes.

I was elated to read she was stable last night but it seems that was inaccurate. I don't think it's going to be very good :( but Carrie Fisher is one tough cookie!

2016 you will not take our Princess!!
If CPR was stopped 5+ min, I don't see how she will recover at all. That is a GROSS injustice to every passenger that might experience a life threatening situation.
Wow.

For CPR to be effective, the patient must be on a firm flat surface.

:tyou: I value your professional opinion. Could the patient be properly positioned in an aisle? Probably not as stable as a floor that isn't moving, but a flat surface nonetheless. Cardiac patients have been treated successfully on cruise ships, including helicopter rescues where a buoyed stretcher hovers above the slow-moving vessel. DH and I witnessed such a maneuver on one of our cruises in the Caribbean. Patient reportedly suffered a heart attack and was stabilized in shipboard medical facility. Transfer to nearest land-based hospital was required for continued treatment, so ship detoured off course for helicopter retrieval to Nassau, Bahamas. Later that day, Captain announced that patient was doing well, and full recovery was anticipated :)

Fortunately, I've never experienced anything more than a puking passenger on an aircraft, but I hope sufficient triage would be available in case of a serious emergency.

:tyou: I value your professional opinion. Could the patient be properly positioned in an aisle? Probably not as stable as a floor that isn't moving, but a flat surface nonetheless. Cardiac patients have been treated successfully on cruise ships, including helicopter rescues where a buoyed stretcher hovers above the slow-moving vessel. DH and I witnessed such a maneuver on one of our cruises in the Caribbean. Patient reportedly suffered a heart attack and was stabilized in shipboard medical facility. Transfer to nearest land-based hospital was required for continued treatment, so ship detoured off course for helicopter retrieval to Nassau, Bahamas. Later that day, Captain announced that patient was doing well, and full recovery was anticipated :)

Fortunately, I've never experienced anything more than a puking passenger on an aircraft, but I hope sufficient triage would be available in case of a serious emergency.

Hi Bette!! :seeya:

That must have been a sight to see! I'm not sure about cruise ships and honestly just giving my professional opinion (and guessing lol) on aircraft. In or out of the hospital setting, I do know that it is recommended the patient be on a firm, flat surface. There are times when a patient can't be moved off of a bed. The headboard on our hospital beds actually come off and can be slipped beneath the patient to provide a more firm surface. Chest compression's take considerable force (depth of compression) to be effective. My guess is that on an airplane, they may move the patient up to the front where there is more room, or ask other passengers to change seats to allow first responder's more room to work. I'm going to guess that Carrie Fisher was in first class and their may be more room there.

I just checked with the two pilots in my family.

They say no one would stop CPR for any reason unless you were in mortal danger.

No pilots pay attention to those instructions. They have many possible explanations they have thought of concerning who would ever have laid down those inane instructions.

Stopping CPR during landing? Not going to happen. This from my two experts.

Zencompass THANK YOU. That makes me feel a lot better.

Plus these commercial airplanes are not small planes in Bolivia trying to land in turbulence while being shot at.

Apparently the pilots have to announce something like that but the procedure is usually never followed. The pilots in my family have 20 plus years of experience flying commercial planes.

Sending prayers of strength, hope and love to Carrie and her family.

I agree kanzz. Arrest me when we land if you must but no way in hell am I stopping CPR.

This has to be a misunderstanding like you said. Perhaps the pilot was talking about the flight attendants. I sure hope so

I couldn't stop! Since I have medical training I couldn't forgive myself if I didn't do everything possible to help someone. I never stop CPR unless it's called by a DR or an ambulance shows up and they take over.

Yeah I'd be on an aisle seat doing compressions while leaning to to the side. It's the breaths that would be tricky.
My son took a CPR course for the power company. He is a lineman apprentice. They don't teach breaths anymore! Wth???
Honestly CPR situations are not always ideal. Speeding 85 mph around 285 in Atlanta with a 365 # patient you have to climb on top of to straddle him trying to give compressions and still hold on to the ambu bag is not fun for height and weight challenged 21 yr old. My friend said she het she looked like a spider monkey holding on to her mama.
He lived! She was just a little tired and sore the next day.

I can see every one needing to be in their seats.
So that first response can enter air craft with no obstruction to patient.

I also see an EMT ignoring orders.

:tyou: to the medical professionals who have shared their thoughts and opinions on this unfortunate situation. Thoughts and prayers for Ms. Fisher, her family, and her beloved dog, Gary during this stressful time.

Merry Christmas! Happy Hanukkah!

Just saw this on my FB feed. 10yrs old, so incredibly sad :(

An Air Canada flight from Toronto to London had to make an emergency landing at Shannon Airport this afternoon after a 10-year-old passenger entered cardiac arrest on board.
The flight landed at 7.40pm Ireland time, where paramedics had gathered to assist the child. The girl, who has not yet been publicly named, was rushed to University Hospital Limerick where she was pronounced dead.

https://www.joe.co.uk/news/a-10-year-old-girl-has-died-on-a-flight-diverted-to-shannon-airport/104165

Just saw this on my FB feed. 10yrs old, so incredibly sad :(

An Air Canada flight from Toronto to London had to make an emergency landing at Shannon Airport this afternoon after a 10-year-old passenger entered cardiac arrest on board.
The flight landed at 7.40pm Ireland time, where paramedics had gathered to assist the child. The girl, who has not yet been publicly named, was rushed to University Hospital Limerick where she was pronounced dead.

https://www.joe.co.uk/news/a-10-year-old-girl-has-died-on-a-flight-diverted-to-shannon-airport/104165

Oh no. How very sad. :( Only 10! I wonder if perhaps there was an underlying medical condition.

No new updates on Carrie I take it?

No new updates on Carrie I take it?

Not that I've been able to find. My sister is a news producer at one of our L.A. tv stations. She said they aren't getting any new information. Honestly, it worries me.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smokylotus
Back