Burke Ramsey Files 750 Million Dollar Lawsuit Against CBS

Status
Not open for further replies.
HarmonyE,
Whether BR is a public figure or a private citizen, etc, is a technical detail and a defense on CBS part.

What really matters is whether Lin Wood can prove IDI. That's why he is spewing out all the misinformation, citing old Ramsey chestnuts for public consumption.

He needs to show that Kolar's book should really be titled Foreign Fiction, and that its contents were misused by CBS to defame poor old Burke Ramsey.

If LW wins his case, he is hinting at a follow up from JR, this is all legal megaphone diplomacy intended to convey the message: settle out of court for a few million dollars.

UKGuy, sorry, but that's not the way it works. His public figure status is not just a "technical detail". I'm not going to repeat things I've said several times before because I'm probably boring the pants off everyone and you don't have to believe me, but: Burke may never get to put on a case if the Court dismisses it because CBS has a First Amendment right to opine on the guilt of a public figure, voluntary or otherwise. As a public figure, in order to prevail Burke has to prove that CBS lied and they lied purposefully to harm him.

I agree with you completely that Burke and Lin would love nothing more than to settle out for a few million dollars. That being chump change to CBS, they may well do that. But maybe CBS wants a bigger story out of this? Or maybe they'll call Wood's bluff and do enough discovery to file for a motion for dismissal? And maybe, like Fox News years ago, they'll win? And if they don't, maybe they'll settle then? Lots of things could happen.

If I were advising CBS (as if they needed my advice!) I'd recommend sufficient discovery be done to enable them to file for dismissal. And based upon what happens with that, decide where to go from there.

Some interesting quotes from Variety's article on the lawsuit:

But Larry Iser, a partner at the Los Angeles firm of Kinsella, Weitzman, Iser, Kump & Aldisert, said that Ramsey’s case will be bolstered if he can show what was offered in the documentary series were false facts.

“The First Amendment is not absolute. It doesn’t protect against yelling fire in a crowded theatre, and it doesn’t insulate a filmmaker or a media defendant that intentionally or recklessly publishes false facts,” he said. “In his complaint, Burke Ramsey claims that the documentary is rife with outright lies, half-truths, manufactured information, and the intentional omission and avoidance of truthful information about the murder of his sister. If he can prove that, the defendants would be liable for defamation.”
I would argue that's unlikely they'll be able to prove there are lies in the doc. Woody will have to take the omission route which could go either way. Sure they didn't mention Lacy's "exoneration" letter, for example, but it's beyond simple to prove that letter wasn't worth the paper it was written on. I don't think it would be hard for a good lawyer to discount most of what has been "omitted" from the doc as irrelevant.

Sammataro said that if the case proceeds, what will loom over the question of private vs. public figure is the 1974 Supreme Court decision in Gertz vs. Robert Welch, which found that it was “possible for someone to become a public figure and, thus, subject to the actual malice standard through no purposeful action of his own.” The size of the damages sought — $250 million in compensatory damages and $500 million in punitive — “does little to aid any suggestion that Burke is a private figure,” Sammataro said, as it seeks like it is designed to get attention.

Michael Overing, an adjunct professor at USC Annenberg whose practice has a specialty in First Amendment law, said that he had not yet read the complaint, but “seriously, this is a real uphill battle for Burke Ramsey.”

“Obviously, the case is exceptionally newsworthy and is going to be given the greatest First Amendment protection, even before adding the comment that this was ‘opinion,'” he said via email. “He certainly seems to be a public figure, and as such, how can he really claim that CBS was acting with actual malice toward him in their failure to investigate the alleged ‘facts’? This isn’t a lawsuit that I would expect will gain much traction. He also has to prove that his reputation has been sullied — that alone may be difficult to prove given the notoriety of the case.”

http://variety.com/2016/biz/news/jonbenet-ramsey-cbs-lawsuit-1201949899/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UKGuy, sorry, but that's not the way it works. His public figure status is not just a "technical detail". I'm not going to repeat things I've said several times before because I'm probably boring the pants off everyone and you don't have to believe me, but: Burke may never get to put on a case if the Court dismisses it because CBS has a First Amendment right to opine on the guilt of a public figure, voluntary or otherwise. As a public figure, in order to prevail Burke has to prove that CBS lied and they lied purposefully to harm him.

I agree with you completely that Burke and Lin would love nothing more than to settle out for a few million dollars. That being chump change to CBS, they may well do that. But maybe CBS wants a bigger story out of this? Or maybe they'll call Wood's bluff and do enough discovery to file for a motion for dismissal? And maybe, like Fox News years ago, they'll win? And if they don't, maybe they'll settle then? Lots of things could happen.

If I were advising CBS (as if they needed my advice!) I'd recommend sufficient discovery be done to enable them to file for dismissal. And based upon what happens with that, decide where to go from there.

About the benefits of CBS going through the discovery process, one of the lawyers in the Variety article makes another good point.
CBS and other defendants are likely to seek an immediate dismissal, but, Sammataro notes, even if they don’t succeed there, they get “to conduct discovery on whether Burke had any involvement in his sister’s death. [CBS] has a prospective path to a treasure trove of information and potentially an informational advantage over its competitors on a story that continues to enthrall the public and garner ratings.”

About the benefits of CBS going through the discovery process, one of the lawyers in the Variety article makes another good point.

Thank you and yes, this could be "bingo". It's possible CBS thought this all the way through before the show was even aired and are chomping at the bit to get to the discovery. And Woody and Burke just walked into their open arms....

Yes, agree with everything you said. The differentiation between public and private is a significant one. I noted that in the Spitz lawsuit LW filed that BR is a private citizen. (Btw, awards cannot contain punitive damages if he is regarded as a private citizen, unless LW proves actual malice.) However, as LW and company may or may not know, even the son or daughter of a celebrity or public figure can be named a limited public figure in terms of the subject at hand. In BR’s case, he has appeared in Walters show sailing and smiling. He gave an interview to Woodward which I read when she had parts of the book for preview on Amazon. And then there is the infamous Dr. P appearance.

Venue is also a critical decision. In the Spitz lawsuit, he lives in Michigan as does BR. Easy to determine where the lawsuit would be heard. The CBS lawsuit is not as clear. Typically, the defamation lawsuit is heard in the state of the defendant. In the case of Fox, since they are a national broadcasting company, the suit was originally petitioned to be in Georgia, but Fox prevailed as to venue and it was heard in Colorado. That was definitely to Fox’s benefit.

If the lawsuit is evaluated in California, defamation law of California will override Michigan’s laws. This does make some difference. California has anti-SLAPP statutes. Were this determined to constitute a SLAPP lawsuit, the cost for the attorneys would have to be paid by LW and company. If the lawsuit is petitioned to be heard in Federal court, since the parties to the lawsuit (a suit which has been filed for more than $75,000) are in different states, it could go to a federal court.

It is one thing to say that no one can prove he struck JB, as BR threw back at Dr. P on the air. It is quite another to reach that conclusion or theory by inductive reasoning which is how the CBS investigators arrived at their theory. Had this gone to court after the GJ indictment, prosecutors would have had to rely heavily on circumstantial evidence and inductive reasoning against the parents which includes behavioral indices of the entire family. (E.g., fathers of murdered children don’t usually suddenly have to fly off to a business appointment and avoid the police like the plague.)

Also, as UKGuy and otg have pointed out on numerous occasions and it’s been verified by CO lawyers, the wording of the indictment seems to suggest a ‘third person.’ That is also something which would be brought out, along with the dismantling of the DNA evidence used to ‘exonerate’ the family. But . . .

Imo, the CBS case will not be heard in a courtroom. It’s a business and they won’t care about carrying a moral flag. Discovery could be very interesting though. CBS has a stand-up guy in the wings.

The stand-up person who’s always been discreet and knows so much more than LW has figured is Kolar. Kolar read the indictment and case reports. He may have knowledge of what Dr. Meyer, the coroner, kept private and only entered into notes he shared with the GJ. What did investigators learn from the teacher’s communication with JR about JB’s toileting issues and what did she recommend? Why was BR’s third grade teacher called to speak to the GJ? I’m still led me to believe Kolar, without violating GJ secrecy, would know exactly what questions BR should be asked.

BBM

I just want to say one thing: You are not boring me. You never do.
Keep posting. I'm absolutely enthralled by all of this!

Hey I'm not a lawyer so take whatever I say with a grain of salt. As for the DP interview, Wood does say that it was done as a preemptive measure, So even though it came out first, it was produced after the CBS special was completed. But, he does not mention that Burke did make a public appearance on Barbara Walters Discovery program earlier in the year. So I think he is going out on a limb saying this guy was purposely avoiding celebrity.

Andreww,

"Other than a brief glimpse of JonBenet's brother Burke as an adult, there wasn't much new here."

http://www.westword.com/news/barbar...rview-a-cringe-worthy-jonbenet-rehash-7354305

[video=youtube;G8IfH-TmOak]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8IfH-TmOak[/video]

@ 47:33

a few seconds of video of BR in a sail boat

perhaps footage not sold by BR.

HarmonyE,
BBM: Well I hope CBS develop the case, just as you suggest.

CBS could play for time, whilst BPD re-evaluate their forensic evidence for new clues.

I'm guessing even LW doesn't think the case will be tossed out on some public figure distinction?

We will just have to wait and see how it turns out.

HarmonyE,
BBM: Well I hope CBS develop the case, just as you suggest.

CBS could play for time, whilst BPD re-evaluate their forensic evidence for new clues.

I'm guessing even LW doesn't think the case will be tossed out on some public figure distinction?

We will just have to wait and see how it turns out.

That "some public figure distinction" relates directly back to the US Constitution.

Lin Wood knows this and recently tweeted his displeasure over the First Amendment.

I agree with questfortrue that CBS has no interest whatsoever in "carrying a moral flag". But I do wonder if they are hoping they can develop enough through discovery (and also agree with questfortrue) with Kolar's help so they can create something far better and more important than the original (let's face it) messy, disjointed special. The major networks have been left in the dust by streaming services like Netflix. I can see them enviously eyeing something like "Making of A Murderer" and thinking, hey, why can't we get in on something like that? And really, what better case than that of poor JonBenet?

Just idle speculation really. But thinking back on the special, Kolar was almost non-existent. He was just there, and I don't think it was so he could plug his book. He seems a quiet, humble man who truly wants justice for an innocent little child. Working with a network like CBS might be the only way he can see to move the case forward. Provided Lin and Burke continue to cooperate.

I don't know. But I do know that CBS knew they'd be sued and seemed to have no qualms about it.

That "some public figure distinction" relates directly back to the US Constitution.

Lin Wood knows this and recently tweeted his displeasure over the First Amendment.

I agree with questfortrue that CBS has no interest whatsoever in "carrying a moral flag". But I do wonder if they are hoping they can develop enough through discovery (and also agree with questfortrue) with Kolar's help so they can create something far better and more important than the original (let's face it) messy, disjointed special. The major networks have been left in the dust by streaming services like Netflix. I can see them enviously eyeing something like "Making of A Murderer" and thinking, hey, why can't we get in on something like that? And really, what better case than that of poor JonBenet?

Just idle speculation really. But thinking back on the special, Kolar was almost non-existent. He was just there, and I don't think it was so he could plug his book. He seems a quiet, humble man who truly wants justice for an innocent little child. Working with a network like CBS might be the only way he can see to move the case forward. Provided Lin and Burke continue to cooperate.

I don't know. But I do know that CBS knew they'd be sued and seemed to have no qualms about it.

HarmonyE,
ITA. Lets hope your Netflix analogy plays out.

The thing that stood out for me in the CBS Special was how quiet Kolar seemed to be.

Now I know why, he likely knew LW was on his shoulder and any interesting stuff, i.e. quotes from Kolar or FW, had been redacted?

What about Spitz he did not seem to be silenced, maybe that's why LW went after him?

I'm hoping yourself, or questfortrue, and others who think similarly, are correct and LW has been drawn into a legal quagmire, where CBS stand to gain more than they could lose?

A JonBenet Special based on what was redacted along with stuff gleaned from discovery would be worth millions, the streaming revenue alone would make it worth while, that's discounting the ad revenues, etc.

Again, concluding that the Grand Jury was correct in its indictment is hardly defamation. Indeed it was in the public interest to learn what evidence had been suppressed. Steep hill; designed to get a go away settlement. CBS needs to fight this in the interest of truth.

Hey I'm not a lawyer so take whatever I say with a grain of salt. As for the DP interview, Wood does say that it was done as a preemptive measure, So even though it came out first, it was produced after the CBS special was completed. But, he does not mention that Burke did make a public appearance on Barbara Walters Discovery program earlier in the year. So I think he is going out on a limb saying this guy was purposely avoiding celebrity.

This was a smokescreen. They were paid to participate on that show. It devastated their private citizen claim. I think LW looked at this as the best way to gain some money and knew the CBS lawsuit would be tossed based on this public coming out. I think they hope the suit will be tossed--brinksmanship to be sure.

andreww,
The case is not about BR being a public figure although that might be a CBS defense. BR via LW is saying I am a person of good character with a corresponding reputation.

CBS has defamed both my character, reputation and earning potential by broadcasting prior known untruths collated from Kolar's book.

All LW has to do is demonstrate IDI, from the same prior truths, that were available to CBS and friends.

So at the end of the day its Kolar v.s. Lin Wood.

Actually, there can be no suit if this is a finding. There has to be evidence he was maliciously maligned, and he subjected his own reputation to such lines of inquiry willingly on DP.

I noticed at the end of the CBS Special a disclaimer notes "they can't actually prove anything – so audiences should feel free to draw their own conclusions".

Does this 'disclaimer' count for anything in the lawsuit? CBS are saying the show was a mock-up of what they thought could have happened. In other words, just their opinions.

I also noticed that in the UK version that I watched, Werner Spitz's famous words "The boy did it" had been removed.

I noticed at the end of the CBS Special a disclaimer notes "they can't actually prove anything – so audiences should feel free to draw their own conclusions".

Does this 'disclaimer' count for anything in the lawsuit? CBS are saying the show was a mock-up of what they thought could have happened. In other words, just their opinions.

I also noticed that in the UK version that I watched, Werner Spitz's famous words "The boy did it" had been removed.

I would assume those disclaimers are relevant. We have them all over everything in the US to prevent or react to lawsuits. "Be careful, your coffee is hot and can burn you" etc.

I think the Spitz lawsuit is in regards to an interview not the CBS special.

Yeah, Spitz has a separate lawsuit because he stated that Burke did it in a radio interview. I don't believe he made any such statement on the show itself.

So what was in the third segment that they didn't air? If Burke sued anyway over the first two. Hmm.

So what was in the third segment that they didn't air? If Burke sued anyway over the first two. Hmm.

Tortoise,
Moe than likely more dirt on BR, i.e. Quotes from FW, references to Kolar's research, any interview outtakes by BR, even those details from the Paughs and direct links to the books on Amazon.

That's just what we know about maybe there was a smoldering gun?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong