Identified! PA - White Haven, 'Beth Doe' & Unborn Baby 169UFPA, 16-22, Dec'76 - #2 - Evelyn Colon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey y'all. First time posting here; I've been looking at this case for the past couple days (completely coincidental to the anniversary), and thought I'd chime in with some personal thoughts.

Namely, has anybody ever considered the possibility that she was a nun? She definitely looks like she's of Southeastern Med descent in the reconstruction, Greek or Turkish or even Albanian. If so, there's a really good chance that she and her family belonged to the Orthodox church, which still holds a sizeable presence in NEPA (the oldest Orthodox monastery in America isn't far from White Haven), and I have to imagine that presence was even stronger in the 70's.

Sexual abuse isn't any less common within the Orthodox church than any other denomination, and it's (sadly) very easy for me to imagine a scenario where a novitiate could be impregnated by a priest, monk or seminary student and then murdered to save that person's career. And, to me at least, the idea would explain a lot of things. Like how a girl from Tennessee wound up in NEPA to begin with - even in the 70's it wasn't uncommon for girls with no obvious life path to be shipped off/ship themselves off to a nunnery. Or why nobody took note of her disappearance - she would have been cloistered away from the world, and if she'd had any interaction with the public at all, her appearance would have been shrouded by her habit and head covering. And any members of the public who might have recognized her could have written it off because her pregnancy would seem to rule her out.

Further, her disappearance could have been explained away as a teenage girl deciding the church wasn't for her and setting out on her own, and it's unlikely that anyone in the church would have gone to the police even if they suspected the truth. Her being a nun could even explain why the killer waited until that late in the pregnancy to kill her; those robes can hide a lot underneath, and he may not have even known until she was very far along.

I feel like it would have been extremely easy for a priest or similar church official to escape suspicion for such a crime in the 70's, particularly if he didn't have an existing criminal record. Most people would have dismissed the idea out of hand; even if there was a solid lead that led to the church, police would have - at most - pursued it with extreme caution, or else backed off completely.

It's out of left field, I know, but a lot of this theory just seems to 'click' with me for whatever reason. I feel like if whoever did this remained with the church afterwards, they likely abused someone else, so investigating the records of church officials who have since been accused of abusing women and girls and seeing who would have been in the area at the time might yield results. Also looking into records - if at all available - of local priests or seminary students who were defrocked or left the church of their own accord shortly after this crime was committed could be valuable. And, of course, seeing if there were any nuns or novices who went missing around that time.

Also, on a secondary note, how certain is the isotope testing that she came from Eastern Tennessee, specifically? I ask because - to the best of my knowledge - Eastern Tennessee isn't a hotbed of immigration. I believe Memphis, however, has a significant Greek population that goes back decades. Maybe checking the records of area high schools in Greek neighborhoods - and Orthodox churches - could lead to something.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. For whatever reason, this case has kind of leapt out at me for the past few days, so I'm definitely going to be following the rest of this thread with interest. Thx.

Welcome to Ws DoeDeer, thanks for the completely different and intriguing ideas about Beth!
:welcome:

Hey y'all. First time posting here; I've been looking at this case for the past couple days (completely coincidental to the anniversary), and thought I'd chime in with some personal thoughts.

Namely, has anybody ever considered the possibility that she was a nun? She definitely looks like she's of Southeastern Med descent in the reconstruction, Greek or Turkish or even Albanian. If so, there's a really good chance that she and her family belonged to the Orthodox church, which still holds a sizeable presence in NEPA (the oldest Orthodox monastery in America isn't far from White Haven), and I have to imagine that presence was even stronger in the 70's.

Sexual abuse isn't any less common within the Orthodox church than any other denomination, and it's (sadly) very easy for me to imagine a scenario where a novitiate could be impregnated by a priest, monk or seminary student and then murdered to save that person's career. And, to me at least, the idea would explain a lot of things. Like how a girl from Tennessee wound up in NEPA to begin with - even in the 70's it wasn't uncommon for girls with no obvious life path to be shipped off/ship themselves off to a nunnery. Or why nobody took note of her disappearance - she would have been cloistered away from the world, and if she'd had any interaction with the public at all, her appearance would have been shrouded by her habit and head covering. And any members of the public who might have recognized her could have written it off because her pregnancy would seem to rule her out.

Further, her disappearance could have been explained away as a teenage girl deciding the church wasn't for her and setting out on her own, and it's unlikely that anyone in the church would have gone to the police even if they suspected the truth. Her being a nun could even explain why the killer waited until that late in the pregnancy to kill her; those robes can hide a lot underneath, and he may not have even known until she was very far along.

I feel like it would have been extremely easy for a priest or similar church official to escape suspicion for such a crime in the 70's, particularly if he didn't have an existing criminal record. Most people would have dismissed the idea out of hand; even if there was a solid lead that led to the church, police would have - at most - pursued it with extreme caution, or else backed off completely.

It's out of left field, I know, but a lot of this theory just seems to 'click' with me for whatever reason. I feel like if whoever did this remained with the church afterwards, they likely abused someone else, so investigating the records of church officials who have since been accused of abusing women and girls and seeing who would have been in the area at the time might yield results. Also looking into records - if at all available - of local priests or seminary students who were defrocked or left the church of their own accord shortly after this crime was committed could be valuable. And, of course, seeing if there were any nuns or novices who went missing around that time.

Also, on a secondary note, how certain is the isotope testing that she came from Eastern Tennessee, specifically? I ask because - to the best of my knowledge - Eastern Tennessee isn't a hotbed of immigration. I believe Memphis, however, has a significant Greek population that goes back decades. Maybe checking the records of area high schools in Greek neighborhoods - and Orthodox churches - could lead to something.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. For whatever reason, this case has kind of leapt out at me for the past few days, so I'm definitely going to be following the rest of this thread with interest. Thx.

I like an open mind.

You make a lot of good points. There were many women who chose to be a nun back then. I've run into a few while doing the family tree for myself, my hub and 2 kids.

Isotope - if the isotope findings are correct, Beth Doe was born and spent early childhood in Western or Central Europe and moved to the United States as a child or a teenager. She spent at least five to 10 years in the United States before her murder; most likely became pregnant in the US; and she probably lived in the South East, possibly somewhere in Eastern Tennessee. See the article Investigators close in on Beth Doe and her killer - By Bill Landauer, Of The Morning Call November 29, 2014, 10:05PM

Roselvr has posted something about it, but I can't recall the thread....it's not working like that....the DNA could be everywhere....I thought that too (dna submitted, tests complete) and that they automaticly do the scan.....if I find it again I will post.....

Wendy has DNA in NamUs so I think it would have automatically checked against the unidentified database regardless of the date missing.

Often become perplexed by the DNA process as well, as BitofHope mentioned it depends on where the DNA is held (Local reporting LE, State Lab, University or NAMUS) etc.. It's not necessarily an automatic match, it has to be reported to NAMUS and compared if the DNA is held somewhere else. Hope I said this all correctly ....

Roselvr has a couple of blogs posted as well that gives some information.

I sent this to folieadeuxnola. I am still learning all this too. It can be very complicated because we do not know who holds the DNA, nor does NamUs list every rule out.

NamUs is confusing because we can't see where the DNA is held for either side. In reality it should auto match when a new MP or UP is added but it doesn't because some samples are not in the same database.

It's hard to explain, when an MP family gives a sample they're given a form asking if they can run the DNA in UNT (which is NamUs database) or CODIS; they can say to only run it once but do not store the sample there. Same goes for the UP, it may be there CA DOJ (Cali Dept of justice) or CODIS which I'm still trying to understand. There are supposedly different security levels of CODIS where it may not be in a level to be auto compared for rule out like NM - Pagosa Springs Jane Doe matching with a gal named Margo. Link is below if anyone wants to read the posts to see the details

NM - Pagosa Springs, WhtFem 55UFNM, 25-35, Sep'82 - Margaret Walden

Margaret Walden / Rio Arriba Jane Doe - NamUs Links
Margaret Walden NamUs DNA Status: Sample submitted - Tests complete Biopsy scar Lt. wrist; bullet wound scar chest; mastectomy scars; vertical scar on back.
NamUs UP # 5326 DNA Status: Sample submitted - Tests complete Organ absent uterus

To get even more complicated, there is a dental database; even if dentals are there it will not match unless the dates for missing line up with a Doe's found date. Take the case I matched, 1979 Mendocino Jane Does, who were assumed to be deceased around Christmas 1978. One was listed as a male until right after I found Kerry Graham who was supposedly missing since Christmas 1979. When I originally saw Kerry I questioned the date because she looked so much like the recon. I want to note that they did not have an adequate DNA sample for the Does. They were sent to Andrews Air Force Base for newer testing where they're some times able to get DNA from older remains.

At some point Kerry's dentals went into the database but it did not hit on the match until later. Kerry's friend Francine was added to NamUs, her missing date was 1978. NamUs got DNA on both sides, at some point they got Kerry's dentals, not sure if Francine had dentals. We had heard that they got matched to the Does via another UP; Arroyo Grand; apparently at some point they changed Kerry's missing date to match Francines, then they got the dental hit.

In this day and age, the computer should generate a questionable match saying the dentals match but the missing date is after the Doe was found but it doesn't.

Kerry and Francine -

NV - Henderson, 'Arroyo Grande'

Match! CA - Mendocino Co, 2 WhtFem Teens, Jul'79 Francine Trimble & Kerry Graham'

Searching for more details about Kerry Ann Graham...

Seems it is thought that she left on her on accord with a female friend. But no information is available about the friend - except to say that neither of the two girls have been seen since. Wonder who this other girl is -- can't find any other female reported missing from Forestville, CA. hmmmm....

Both girls had ties to New Jersey and Halifax, Nova Scotia.

In her M&EC Prolife it states...
Kerry was last seen on December 24, 1979. She may be with a female companion. They may have traveled to New Jersey. When Kerry was last seen she had blonde highlights in her hair. She has freckles, pierced ears, and a scar on her left arm from the removal of a cancerous growth. It also states that Kerry was a smoker in 1979.
http://www.missingkids.com/poster/NCMC/1225186/1
Hair color is listed as auburn and eyes are listed as green. It would be great to see Kerry with her natural hair color, auburn. I have to admit that there are quite a few similarities, IMO.

What if they have her missing date wrong where she was actually last seen Christmas eve 1978? We have no clue who the friend is; but the case below is 2 girls. I do not follow either case; but am throwing out for you guys. Added was listed as boy and girl; they did recent DNA testing; they're both girls. Profiles have not been updated yet

CA - Mendocino County, TWO WhtFem's (111UMCA & 131UFCA), Teens, July'79

New NCMEC links. Not sure what they did but none of the previous URLs have been working on any case I follow
NCMEC Girl
NCMEC Boy

Girl NamUs UP #10447
"Boy" NamUs UP #10450

Charley Project just created a new casefile for Kerry Graham, and included a better photo.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/g/graham_kerry.html

7eb4e88c-08ed-439b-a486-441431c66a5e.jpg
images
42332eb1-dacb-4143-b0f6-b238ab886f50.jpg

She does have a 7-8 gap. Now I see why they are interested in her as an Arroyo Grande possible, though her resemblance to AGJD is kind of iffy. And if her listed height is correct, she would be too short.

Brought over from NV - Henderson, "Arroyo Grande" WhtFem 258UFNV, 14-25, Oct'80 *GRAPHIC*

What if they have her missing date wrong where she was actually last seen Christmas eve 1978? We have no clue who the friend is; but this case is 2 girls. I do not follow either case; but am throwing out for you guys.

Roselver :rock: [emoji851][emoji851]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This may have been suggested before but could the isotopes showing that her childhood in western/ central Europe mean she could have been adopted by an American couple? I knew a woman who was from Russia and adopted around age 5 by an American couple.

I believe beth doe became preg by a married man or someone well known in the community..who obviously was not happy with the pregnancy. As the birth drew closer, he planned out her killing. The suitcases were used so if pulled over, it would appear he was traveling. Knowing the site was near water, he removed the handles to not catch on branches, fishing line, or boat propeller. Prob disfigured her to make ID difficult.
As for the writing on the hand, she felt it was important enough to jot down even though paper wasnt available. So sad..for her and child.

I agree with you on the theory that the handles were taken off so they would not get caught on tree branches. I think he expected them to float down the river and misjudged his toss.

Random thought here: Maybe the WSR had to do with something in the counties in NJ where the newspapers came from. There is a rt 57 in Warren County (I didn't go back to see exactly the counties on that list but I THINK Warren was on it) near Washington NJ.

After watching the press conference on Bob Evans and in relation to the Allentown murders, I thought this case sounded like something similar to what Bob Evans did. Could Beth be one of his victims? And if so, could Beth be the mother of the middle Allenstown child that Bob Evans fathered?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

It looks like it would be just possible. Beth died in 1976, which means the latest the other child could have been born was early 1976, which would make her 4 in 1980, which is the earliest they think the bodies were in the barrels. Her age is estimated at 2-4 so that would put her in the top end of the range, but again possible.

After watching the press conference on Bob Evans and in relation to the Allentown murders, I thought this case sounded like something similar to what Bob Evans did. Could Beth be one of his victims? And if so, could Beth be the mother of the middle Allenstown child that Bob Evans fathered?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Beth's isotopes don't line up with the middle child's isotopes, plus the middle child is part Native American

I would think from the fetus they could get a genetic profile...i know they did not have that capability in the 70's but i wonder if they have any samples around where that could be done today? Hard to believe no one..people within the community, co workers..friends..ever questioned whatever happ to that pregnant girl!?

I would think from the fetus they could get a genetic profile...i know they did not have that capability in the 70's but i wonder if they have any samples around where that could be done today? Hard to believe no one..people within the community, co workers..friends..ever questioned whatever happ to that pregnant girl!?

Thinking that people may not have asked about a young, pregnant girl/woman because it might be assumed that she has gone off " to an Auntie's " to discretely have her baby. They may also assume that she is, and maybe she was in fact estranged from her family and ran off to be with the father.
Maybe her family and friends are still in the country where she originated and have long lost contact. Maybe they are looking for her, but just do not know how?
Reet J's family loved her very much and when she went missing after traveling from Canada to meet a boyfriend in California, they waited and fretted for her quietly.
It was not until the proliferation of the internet that Reet was finally identified, sadly, she had been viciously murdered in the 70's, not long after arriving at her destination.
Hoping that by everyone continuing to post here, that one day, someone will take note and recognize " Beth " too.
imo, speculation.

speculation, imo.

Thinking that people may not have asked about a young, pregnant girl/woman because it might be assumed that she has gone off " to an Auntie's " to discretely have her baby. They may also assume that she is, and maybe she was in fact estranged from her family and ran off to be with the father.
Maybe her family and friends are still in the country where she originated and have long lost contact. Maybe they are looking for her, but just do not know how?
Reet J's family loved her very much and when she went missing after traveling from Canada to meet a boyfriend in California, they waited and fretted for her quietly.
It was not until the proliferation of the internet that Reet was finally identified, sadly, she had been viciously murdered in the 70's, not long after arriving at her destination.
Hoping that by everyone continuing to post here, that one day, someone will take note and recognize " Beth " too.
imo, speculation.

speculation, imo.

Off course somebody is thinking about her.....thank you Dotr I hope one day she is been identified....the reconstructions actually don't help. You have to be real 'big' to go searching on the NamUs database for your loved one.... ___ck can't imagine....and I really hope I never, never have to do this....

I would think from the fetus they could get a genetic profile...i know they did not have that capability in the 70's but i wonder if they have any samples around where that could be done today

Beth Doe & her baby were exhumed in 2007 and DNA profiles were developed for both Beth and the child.

Additionally, Isotope Analysis: In 2014, samples of her tooth enamel, hair and bone were sent to the University of South Florida for analysis. While not an exact science, the results suggest that she was born in western or central Europe than moved to the United States as a child or teen. She resided in the States for at least 5 to 10 years prior to her death. She probably became pregnant in this country and most likely lived in the southeast, possibly in eastern Tennessee
http://pennsylvaniamissing.com/bethdoe.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member