OH - Pike County: 8 people from one family dead as police hunt for killer(s) - #23

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm one of those folks and this is the only person I've seen with this kind of reaction. That's why I asked what others think about it.

It seems unusually unsympathetic. Almost like "well, it's nothing more than a hiccup, never mind 8 lives lost"! But that's probably the only piece that made the news. I'm sure that wasn't all the convo with that reporter. He almost sounded defensive when he said it, imo. However, "we're all good people" isn't an accurate statement if it proves to be a local involved! "Good people" don't cowardly murder 8 people in their sleep, 4 of which under the legal drinking age! With infants! That is not what I'd consider an upstanding citizen in my community.

www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/texas/amp/houston-shoot-deputies-SWAT-police-10831302.php

This is unrelated to Rhodens case, but thought it was interesting. 5-10 guys go into a house to steal 50,000 from drug dealer. Kids are able to escape. No one died, but the guys got away, so far. Wonder if this is similar to what happened at the Rhodens. A team of people coming, then killing everyone who knows who could possibly be behind it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Taking a step back, this case is basically cold. It's been almost 9 months. We can all agree the family members are generally uneducated and "unsophisticated." Do people honestly think these folks could pull off a crime like this and totally stump LE?? I just don't buy it. While it may not be a Mexican hit man, I don't think family either. Someone knew what they were doing, and they were cold and calculating.
I do not agree. If a person regular of the home did it , what evidence would you expect ?

From what I read in the comments of the Sheriff, this case could be as simple as done by a person close to the family with another family member protecting with an alibi.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this neighbor? I'm trying to put myself in his shoes, living close by and at home when 8 people were executed in their homes. All the other neighbors are shook up, scared and deeply saddened by the cruelty but this guy just calls it a hiccup?

VALENCIA (voice-over): On the road that leads to the crime scenes, we meet Stan Tumidolsky, the Rhoden's neighbor. He says although he was home at the time of the shootings, he didn't hear anything.

[16:25:03] Most people in this part of rural Pike County prefer to keep to themselves.

(on camera): What does it say about the area, the community?

STAN TUMIDOLSKY, RHODENS' NEIGHBOR: Nothing. We're all good people. This just happened to be a hiccup, that's all. I don't worry about stuff like that.

VALENCIA: While he may not be worried, plenty of people in Piketon are, including a best friend of one of the victims.

http://edition.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1604/25/cg.01.html

video here [video=youtube;AvN4ihqJiv0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvN4ihqJiv0[/video]

That's LM's next door neighbor. A "hiccup" wouldn't exactly be the description that I'd use if my neighbors family was just murdered. Just based on the clip, it sounds like he didn't care much for them, and didn't even try to hide the fact.

I do not agree. If a person regular of the home did it , what evidence would you expect ?

From what I read in the comments of the Sheriff, this case could be as simple as done by a person close to the family with another family member protecting with an alibi.

I tend to agree. If the assailant(s) knew the family, knew their homes, watched their routines, know the area, the back roads, etc. . ., then they didn't have to be a member of mensa to pull this off. I know plenty of "uneducated/unsophisticated" people who are pretty sharp.

I tend to agree. If the assailant(s) knew the family, knew their homes, watched their routines, know the area, the back roads, etc. . ., then they didn't have to be a member of mensa to pull this off. I know plenty of "uneducated/unsophisticated" people who are pretty sharp.

Don't be getting your panties in a bunch. Geez. I'm talking about pulling off 8 murders with no trace. LE has some pretty amazing tools at their disposal these days. DNA, etc. It's not easy to do this kind of thing. Humans are imperfect beings, esp if they're intoxicated with drugs or alcohol. The way this was done tells me they've done this before.

www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/texas/amp/houston-shoot-deputies-SWAT-police-10831302.php

This is unrelated to Rhodens case, but thought it was interesting. 5-10 guys go into a house to steal 50,000 from drug dealer. Kids are able to escape. No one died, but the guys got away, so far. Wonder if this is similar to what happened at the Rhodens. A team of people coming, then killing everyone who knows who could possibly be behind it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Hmm that's interesting. I think anything is possible at this point. Definitely wouldn't be surprised if it was related to money or drugs.

Don't be getting your panties in a bunch. Geez. I'm talking about pulling off 8 murders with no trace. LE has some pretty amazing tools at their disposal these days. DNA, etc. It's not easy to do this kind of thing. Humans are imperfect beings, esp if they're intoxicated with drugs or alcohol. The way this was done tells me they've done this before.
How do you know "no trace". What if they are plenty of traces of the guy over there every second day. Can he be prosecuted?

Finding fingerprints on the door knob is not enough

Evidence, IMO, is :
- DNA under nails
- prints in blood
- gun
- victims blood on clothe

if the prosecution does not have had evidence, it's a tough case. Many cases are resolved with witnesses. The fact no arrest is made does not mean perps are pros. I think it means they are protected by family.

It's possible they killed before or have experience with cops. A lot of people in Pike have experience in petty crimes.

Just checking in, I still think there's one person who could have pulled this off and who cannot be named because of the thin blue line (and how much he knows about corruption on a big scale). <modsnip> Pretty sure the confiscated homes have plenty of evidence - and LE doesn't want to risk an independent analysis.

Especially if they had some type of military training which many people do. I am not talking about just special forces. You have Vietnam and Desert Storm vets along with the present Afghan/Iraqi conflict putting a lot of people with training out in the general public. And some of those have killed before.

Just checking in, I still think there's one person who could have pulled this off and who cannot be named because of the thin blue line (and how much he knows about corruption on a big scale). <modsnip>Pretty sure the confiscated homes have plenty of evidence - and LE doesn't want to risk an independent analysis.

There is also the boyfriend who's dad owns a crime scene cleanup business.

I like RSD 1200's point that "uneducated" is not a synonymn for "unintelligent". I have worked in third world nations and have met people who though largely illiterate (no chance to go to school), were also clearly highly intelligent. In the USA, where access to education is easier, education level and inherent intelligence are more closely linked. Even still, as RSD 1200 said, a certain number of exceptions do exist.

At the same time, as Becky pointed out, murdering 8 people, some of whom undoubtably had access to guns and due to their drug involvement, were probably half paranoid, then remaining in the community where "the wall have ears", and getting away with it despite the enormous resources of US law enforcement seems to be a pretty tall order for a first timer, even a smart one.

In short, though I fully see the point that uneducated does not always mean unintelligent, my bet is that the scale of this crime indicates a professional group brought in from the outside.

One strange thing, however, is that no Narco Cartel has claimed responsibility. Like terrorists, many of these groups want to be known for their brutality under the philosophy of "kill a few, intimidate thousands more".

Panties aren't in a bunch. Don't know why you took it that way. You voiced your opinion, I voiced mine.

I like RSD 1200's point that "uneducated" is not a synonymn for "unintelligent". I have worked in third world nations and have met people who though largely illiterate (no chance to go to school), were also clearly highly intelligent. In the USA, where access to education is easier, education level and inherent intelligence are more closely linked. Even still, as RSD 1200 said, a certain number of exceptions do exist.

At the same time, as Becky pointed out, murdering 8 people, some of whom undoubtably had access to guns and due to their drug involvement, were probably half paranoid, then remaining in the community, and getting away with it despite the enormous resources of US law enforcement seems to be a pretty tall order for a first timer, even a smart one.

In short, though I fully see the point that some uneducated people can be highly intelligent, my bet is that the scale of this crime indicates a professional group brought in from the outside.

One strange thing, however, is that no Narco Cartel has claimed responsibility. Like terrorists, many of these groups want to be known for their brutality under the philosophy of "kill a few, intimidate thousands more".

Plz understand that I do not equate education level with intelligence. I've met many people w a college degree who are dumb as rocks. Just means they were able to follow through. But I do live in southern Ohio and have roots here. While u don't need to be in mensa to commit a crime, there is a certain level of apptitude u must have to commit one of this size, in an efficient way. I like the idea of someone w military training. That def makes sense!! They're often utilized for jobs like this. They've been trained by our military to do so.

How do you know "no trace". What if they are plenty of traces of the guy over there every second day. Can he be prosecuted?

Finding fingerprints on the door knob is not enough

Evidence, IMO, is :
- DNA under nails
- prints in blood
- gun
- victims blood on clothe

if the prosecution does not have had evidence, it's a tough case. Many cases are resolved with witnesses. The fact no arrest is made does not mean perps are pros. I think it means they are protected by family.

It's possible they killed before or have experience with cops. A lot of people in Pike have experience in petty crimes.

A tiny bit of dna was left at a double murder here a several years back. A couple of witnesses were injured but, left alive, and terrified. All involved were teens, to early twenties. That case went unsolved for years, the boys that did it kept their mouths shut and went on living their lives, until one of the assailants left some dna at a break in, several years later. The dna popped up a match to the dna at the murders. The shooter was only 16 at the time and the victims 18 or so. There were billboards, call numbers, rewards, etc... Nothing. When they caught one of them, he fessed up on the others. They'd never killed before, were not sophisticated, but had planned to go there and rob the other boys, then they murdered them when what they went there for, wasn't there. Iirc. It never went what I'd call cold though.

I, too, agree the neighbor's reaction was uncaring and nonchalant. But there are cold hearted insensitive conceited people in this world. He may be one of them. It didn't concern any of his family members, so big deal. I wonder if he has any friends?!

Plz understand that I do not equate education level with intelligence. I've met many people w a college degree who are dumb as rocks. Just means they were able to follow through. But I do live in southern Ohio and have roots here. While u don't need to be in mensa to commit a crime, there is a certain level of apptitude u must have to commit one of this size, in an efficient way. I like the idea of someone w military training. That def makes sense!! They're often utilized for jobs like this. They've been trained by our military to do so.
I did not mean to imply that you did not think an uneducated person could be intelligent. And with "education inflation", there are plenty of people of marginal intelligence walking around with a college degree of some sort.

I think your core point is accurate in that even a smart but uneducated local not experienced in committing multiple acts of murder against seperate targets would have alot of trouble pulling this off. Then remaining undetected in a rural community where people know their neighbors over generations, know local grudges, rumors and also know who wronged who ten years ago, or who once threatened who is also a very tall order.

I agree that it was most likely outside professionals.

A tiny bit of dna was left at a double murder here a several years back. A couple of witnesses were injured but, left alive, and terrified. All involved were teens, to early twenties. That case went unsolved for years, the boys that did it kept their mouths shut and went on living their lives, until one of the assailants left some dna at a break in, several years later. The dna popped up a match to the dna at the murders. The shooter was only 16 at the time and the victims 18 or so. There were billboards, call numbers, rewards, etc... Nothing. When they caught one of them, he fessed up on the others. They'd never killed before, were not sophisticated, but had planned to go there and rob the other boys, then they murdered them when what they went there for, wasn't there. Iirc. It never went what I'd call cold though.

Anything's possible. But what I keep coming back to is the scope. 8 people in 4 locations. That's just mind blowing. Kept the children alive, too. It's all just so bizarre.

Especially if they had some type of military training which many people do. I am not talking about just special forces. You have Vietnam and Desert Storm vets along with the present Afghan/Iraqi conflict putting a lot of people with training out in the general public. And some of those have killed before.

Agree. There are also avid hunters. They know how to be patient, and quiet. With the world at our fingertips through a simple Google search, there is a lot a person can learn about covering their tracks too. This could have been in the planning for weeks, or maybe several months.

I did not mean to imply that you did not think an uneducated person could be intelligent. And with "education inflation", there are plenty of people of marginal intelligence walking around with a college degree of some sort.

I think your core point is accurate in that even a smart but uneducated local not experienced in committing multiple acts of murder against seperate targets would have alot of trouble pulling this off. Then remaining undetected in a rural community where people know their neighbors over generations, know local grudges, rumors and also know who wronged who ten years ago, or who once threatened who is also a very tall order.

I agree that it was most likely outside professionals.

Very good point about staying undetected in the area! I think these killers, while they may have done some local prep work or reconnaissance prior, came in to do the job and hauled *advertiser censored** out of town.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member