GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU law professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #4 *Arrests*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Former prosecutor here. KM isn't in the typical prisoner's dilemma, where it's a race to take a plea bargain. It's likely that, without her, there's no case against any of the As. Unclear what she has to offer, but if she has the goods, she could go all the way through the sentencing phase and still be able to cut a deal later unless someone in the family flips first, which seems extremely unlikely. My guess is that she goes to trial.

Sure she could cut a deal post-sentencing but I think her ability to negotiate diminishes relative to the severity of that sentence. The gamble to go to trial is not risk-free IMO.

since we have good lawyers here. why do the amended discovery documents include evidence/witnesses that are listed in previous discovery documents? the financial documents keep being re-listed. so does some video/audio evidence. why list it in a new amended discovery if its been provided already.

Former prosecutor here. KM isn't in the typical prisoner's dilemma, where it's a race to take a plea bargain. It's likely that, without her, there's no case against any of the As. Unclear what she has to offer, but if she has the goods, she could go all the way through the sentencing phase and still be able to cut a deal later unless someone in the family flips first, which seems extremely unlikely. My guess is that she goes to trial.

Idk

Garcia called the Adelson family as well during the time of the murder.

So KM shouldn't wait too long.

Plus I would think the sentencing judge would tack on more years if she took her sweet time to plea deal. Especially if she accepts a plea during her own trial.

So imo. Her best negotiations with this new da or new ag is now.

Jmo

Idk

Garcia called the Adelson family as well during the time of the murder.

So KM shouldn't wait too long.

Plus I would think the sentencing judge would tack on more years if she took her sweet time to plea deal. Especially if she accepts a plea during her own trial.

So imo. Her best negotiations with this new da or new ag is now.

Jmo

KM is being led by people not in her best interest. There needs to be a checks and balance.

we don't have all the information, and we don't know what's going behind the scenes, but if i was KM i'd be looking for a sweetheart yet realistic deal of 7 years - the evidence against her is too strong. my argument would be that that's essentially what LR got (19-12=7) and he was actually at the scene of the crime when it occurred. we don't know if that would be acceptable to GC or DM's family, but i think it's a fair exchange in order to slam dunk convict the alleged mastermind(s).

KM has some risks if she goes to trial -

1. she ends up getting convicted and sentenced to Life or worse. good luck negotiating down to 7 years after that.
2. SG (or someone else - highly unlikely) flips on her.

IMO a good attorney working in her best interest with no conflicts of interest would be trying to negotiate a sweetheart deal as we speak. GC said that no proffer has been submitted (or even discussed). perhaps as we get closer to trial that will happen. if it does not, i have to seriously question her attorneys' motives.

we don't have all the information, and we don't know what's going behind the scenes, but if i was KM i'd be looking for a sweetheart yet realistic deal of 7 years - the evidence against her is too strong. my argument would be that that's essentially what LR got (19-12=7) and he was actually at the scene of the crime when it occurred. we don't know if that would be acceptable to GC or DM's family, but i think it's a fair exchange in order to slam dunk convict the alleged mastermind(s).

KM has some risks if she goes to trial -

1. she ends up getting convicted and sentenced to Life or worse. good luck negotiating down to 7 years after that.
2. SG (or someone else - highly unlikely) flips on her.

IMO a good attorney working in her best interest with no conflicts of interest would be trying to negotiate a sweetheart deal as we speak. GC said that no proffer has been submitted (or even discussed). perhaps as we get closer to trial that will happen. if it does not, i have to seriously question her attorneys' motives.

Tuto pic. From better days.

Attachments

• IMG_1153.jpg
    IMG_1153.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 104
RULE 4-1.8 CONFLICT OF INTEREST; PROHIBITED AND OTHER TRANSACTIONS

(f) Compensation by Third Party. A lawyer shall not accept compensation for representing a client from one other than the client unless:
(1) the client gives informed consent;

(2) there is no interference with the lawyer’s independence of professional judgment or with the client-lawyer relationship; and

(3) information relating to representation of a client is protected as required by rule 4-1.6.

Person paying for lawyer’s services

Lawyers are frequently asked to represent a client under circumstances in which a third person will compensate the lawyer, in whole or in part. The third person might be a relative or friend, an indemnitor (such as a liability insurance company), or a co-client (such as a corporation sued along with one or more of its employees). Because third-party payers frequently have interests that differ from those of the client, including interests in minimizing the amount spent on the representation and in learning how the representation is progressing, lawyers are prohibited from accepting or continuing such representations unless the lawyer determines that there will be no interference with the lawyer's independent professional judgment and there is informed consent from the client. See also rule 4-5.4(d) (prohibiting interference with a lawyer's professional judgment by one who recommends, employs or pays the lawyer to render legal services for another).

Sometimes, it will be sufficient for the lawyer to obtain the client's informed consent regarding the fact of the payment and the identity of the third-party payer. If, however, the fee arrangement creates a conflict of interest for the lawyer, then the lawyer must comply with rule 4-1.7. The lawyer must also conform to the requirements of rule 4-1.6 concerning confidentiality. Under rule 4-1.7(a), a conflict of interest exists if there is significant risk that the lawyer's representation of the client will be materially limited by the lawyer's own interest in the fee arrangement or by the lawyer's responsibilities to the third-party payer (for example, when the third-party payer is a co-client). Under rule 4-1.7(b), the lawyer may accept or continue the representation with the informed consent of each affected client, unless the conflict is nonconsentable under that subdivision. Under rule 4-1.7(b), the informed consent must be confirmed in writing or clearly stated on the record at a hearing.

https://www.floridabar.org/divexe/rrtfb.nsf/FV/482043D3FC06842B852571710054B87B

In the latest Amended Discovery, it includes things that KM's defense claimed they had not received (the prosecution claimed they had provided them) at KM's bond hearing.

But there also are utility records for 100 South Pointe Drive #13 Miami Beach.

That seems to have once been (or currently is) CA's place -- see the link below.

http://search.sunbiz.org/Inquiry/Co... charles&listNameOrder=ADELSONCHARLES 2170224

Now, why is that entered as evidence? I am speculating and could be totally wrong, but my hunch is that it could possibly be where KM camped out with her kids after leaving the residence she shared with SG. I don't think we ever learned where she went. Remember the recorded jail call between her and SG? If that is the case, it goes continues to show the attempts of Charlie to support/take care of her and keep her happy. (How unfortunate is it that she never got the Escalade tho?) If that is the reason it's entered into evidence, it really shows they continued to communicate and plot as the heat was on them. Again, this is just a guess on my part.

Let's also hope that the mail clerk is extremely accurate at 40 NW 3rd Street PH1. It would not be good should there be a mail mix up in that office suite.

See Amended Discovery:
View attachment New.pdf

KM is being led by people not in her best interest. There needs to be a checks and balance.

Welp.

The jail doesn't stop a prosecutor from visiting a inmate.

So hopefully the prosecutor pays her a visit and reiterates what's the best offer possible. And then let her talk to her attorney before agreeing.

Now luis did get 7 years because he already had 12 years federal that wasn't related to murder.

So he basically will still be in jail for 20 years.

So she needs to not look at his 7 years and be hopeful that they give her 10 years state time and out in 8 years for good behavior. Jmo

Welp.

The jail doesn't stop a prosecutor from visiting a inmate.

So hopefully the prosecutor pays her a visit and reiterates what's the best offer possible. And then let her talk to her attorney before agreeing.

The prosecutor is prohibited from speaking with her without her attorney present.

It appears that 100 South Pointe Drive #13 Miami Beach is a busy address.
This Corporate entity registered there:
http://search.sunbiz.org/Inquiry/Co...0327\70938729.Tif&documentNumber=P15000028156
The purpose for which the corporation is organized is LAWYER
This is the address of a Law Firm!
As shown above, it is also CA’s place, among 19 other places that appear to be related to the same person: http://search.sunbiz.org/Inquiry/CorporationSearch/ByRegisteredAgent

Welcome to Ws Gaius, thanks for that tidbit!

It appears that 100 South Pointe Drive #13 Miami Beach is a busy address.
This Corporate entity registered there:
http://search.sunbiz.org/Inquiry/Co...0327\70938729.Tif&documentNumber=P15000028156
The purpose for which the corporation is organized is LAWYER
This is the address of a Law Firm!
As shown above, it is also CA’s place, among 19 other places that appear to be related to the same person: http://search.sunbiz.org/Inquiry/CorporationSearch/ByRegisteredAgent
Welcome Gaius!

LAWYER at that South Pointe Drive address is WA. She later submitted an address change. The current address listed is 100 Meridian Avenue.
http://search.sunbiz.org/Inquiry/Co...endi&listNameOrder=ADELSONWENDI P150000281560

CA has extensive real estate holdings in South Florida:
http://search.sunbiz.org/Inquiry/Co...icerRegisteredAgentName/adelson charles/Page1

Reference this 10/27/16 post:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...July-2014-4-*Arrests*&p=12895975#post12895975

From Nov. 29th: Two local news videos that play back to back. I can't seem to post the 2nd video without the 1st playing. http://www.wctv.tv/content/news/Woman-accused-in-Markel-Murder--402275976.html
The first video shows LR's stylish new braids.
The second video reports the following at 1:04-1:11.
"Investigators believe the entire Adelson family, ex-wife Wendi, her brother Charlie and their parents knew about the plot."

Another thought about KM and her defense - the State showed "proof is evident, presumption is great" at the bond hearing.

"The phrase "proof is evident or the presumption is great" is actually a standard of proof that the State must carry. It is the highest standard of proof known to American law. It is far higher than the usual standard in criminal trials, which is guilt beyond a reasonable doubt."

http://www.istilldefendliberty.com/id51.html

So, this doesn't bode well for her trial. Hopefully, for KM's sake, her counsel is working on getting a deal before trial. I guess, we wait to see.

Question - the state listed the utility bills at the 100 South Point Drive address on their discovery list? What do we speculate these are supposed to show - that KM was living there? Thanks for the insight!

just a reminder -

KM's trial date is set for February 27, 2017.

From what I can tell, that property is where Donna and Harvey moved after they sold their place in Coral Springs. They are probably renting it. You can see Donna leaving that building on the undercover police video they showed on 20/20. It makes sense that Wendi used that address to register her PA as she was probably living there at the time. When she moved out, she changed the address. Charlie most likely lives in Broward closer to the dental practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288