Burke Ramsey Files 750 Million Dollar Lawsuit Against CBS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I won't disagree, but nonetheless it would make sense for CBS to run it by Wood first, note his objections, then run that by their own lawyers. Like him or not, Lin Wood is a very powerful man and not to be treated lightly, even by CBS.
Lin Wood has zero actual "power". He was always going to file suit against CBS and his case lives and dies according to the facts, the law, and his client's public or private status. There is no way CBS would clue him in advance or run anything by him. They concluded Burke did it, do you think they asked Wood to opine on this in advance?

If anything, I suspect Wood knew very little about what CBS was going to say and consequently ended up getting Burke on Dr. Phil to reference things like the flashlight and Hi-Teks that he really should have stayed away from. Burke should not have been on that show period, but Woody clearly felt he needed to get in front of things that he really never needed to address at all. In other words, he was clueless about the CBS show and is likely kicking himself for making it that much more likely the court will deem Burke a voluntary public figure for appearing on national TV.

But maybe it will come up in trial, if that ever happens. Surely they'll discuss the redacted footage. Does LW say anything about it in the filing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He can't make an issue of redacted footage as it never aired so nothing contained within it can be considered slanderous to Burke. Can CBS use information they have that never aired that tends to support the conclusion that Burke is a likely suspect? Yes, there may be ways to work this into their defense.

Can someone pls clarify this. They claim fibers consistent with the cord were found in JB's bed. Is this true or not. Can they go to court and just make things up? If this is true it changes most theories. TIA

Smit went into the Carnes pre-trial with his dog and pony show/power point presentation. In that presentation he introduced the information that fibers from the cord were found in JB's bed. Although I have never heard ST or Kolar reference these cord fibers, apparently Smit 'had the info' about them.

One of the issues with Smit, according to Beckner and AH, is that he was releasing incorrect information. LW was able to get away with submitting all kinds of misinformation to Carnes because the attorney for the plaintiff, Darnay Hoffman, did not show up to dispute these findings and he had no access to criminal case files.

ST elaborates a little further about Smit's turn "to the dark side.":
-Only authorized personnel were allowed inside (the war room), or so we thought. To enter, you pressed an identification card flat against a scanning device that unlocked the only door and recorded your personal code. But since the room was in the same building as the offices of the district attorney, we were concerned about the security of the files, notes, and computers, which had been moved from the police department Situation Room. I found a couple of red binders on the shelves among our white case notebooks. I pulled one down, started to read, and couldn’t believe my eyes.

They were the compiled reports of Ainsworth and Smit and documented that more evidence had been released to Team Ramsey without our knowledge, that the two DA investigators were conducting an independent investigation without telling us, and that they were filing reports about what was said by the detectives behind closed doors during strategy sessions. Lou Smit was talking privately with Patsy Ramsey. He was writing about stun guns, sex offenders, flashlights, and exhumation. They had shown photo lineups of ex-cons and drifters to the Ramseys. What the hell was all this? Although neither Smit nor Ainsworth was a handwriting expert, one report noted that a suspect’s handwriting contained “similarities … to the ransom note.” It appeared to me that anything that would bolster the Intruder Theory was logged.

Although I haven't studied what LW has submitted for this suit, I suspect much of it comes from the information he compiled during the R/Wolf civil suit in Atlanta. Most all of it was from Smit.

Imo.

Cbs got millions in advertisement money everytime they ran a JBR documentary for the last 20 years.

So imo. Jbr documentaries to them is more about money than rehashing unsolved cases.

Especially since there are plenty of stories out there for the last 20 years that they never covered at all.

Now Burke or others may be guilty.

But imo.

Why didn't CBS simply pay Burke a small fee since they were going to rehash the possibility of involvement 20 years later.

Especially since he could never be charged?

Imo.

Cbs got millions in advertisement money everytime they ran a JBR documentary for the last 20 years.

So imo. Jbr documentaries to them is more about money than rehashing unsolved cases.

Especially since there are plenty of stories out there for the last 20 years that they never covered at all.

Now Burke or others may be guilty.

But imo.

Why didn't CBS simply pay Burke a small fee since they were going to rehash the possibility of involvement 20 years later.

Especially since he could never be charged?
Agree that CBS is interested in completely in money, not necessarily solving cases, although solving cases can lead to more money. But why would Burke accept a small fee?

Although I haven't studied what LW has submitted for this suit, I suspect much of it comes from the information he compiled during the R/Wolf civil suit in Atlanta. Most all of it was from Smit.

In that case it's nothing more than decades old regurgitated ****.

Thanks for that, questfortrue. I also suspected that Wood merely dusted off his old Carnes notes and threw some recycled bullSmit into the filing. I too am not aware of any source besides the Carnes decision for those claims about fibers, which must have come from Smit - who else would have access? Smit left the investigation in 1998 so none of the evidence he had as of the Wolf case would have been up-to-date - who knows how relevant or even accurate his information was? And boy does he have a record for inaccuracy.

I was reading one of the articles from his old Intruder Theory Live! press tour and it's ridiculous. The theory as he presents it to Time isn't even logical. For example, he posits the flashlight left on the kitchen counter was the murder weapon, but that the crime took place in the basement after JB woke up from her knockout stun gunning, ripped the tape off her mouth and screamed. The intruder panicked, hit her on the head, and did not want to go up a floor to collect his now useless and needlessly incriminating (had it actually been in his handwriting, not Patsy's) ransom note. So he breaks the basement window (at this point I'm thinking the reporter has completely lost track of what Lou was rambling about because I can't imagine even him saying something so outrageously false) and escaped that way. Farcical. This was the same article where Smit speculates that the kidnapper asked for $118,000 because he planned to exchange it for (almost) one million pesos. Half the stuff that comes out of his mouth is laughable, yet he is presented as some sort of genius sleuth by the media. I just don't get it.

Here is an interesting quote from Beckner on Smitty from an article about the release of DOI.
Smit and Beckner have expressed strongly opposed opinions about evidence in the case.
"The problem with it is he ignores the other evidence in the case," said Beckner, who believes Smit may have grown too close to the Ramseys. "Some of the information he is using is not accurate."
Court records released Tuesday reveal Boulder County prosecutors sought to prevent Smit from testifying before a grand jury investigating JonBenét's death about an intruder theory. The grand jury concluded Oct. 13 without charges being filed.
Smit is dedicated to investigating the possibility of an intruder, but said he does not work for the Ramseys.
"All I am asking is that (police) put a question mark after the Ramseys instead of an exclamation mark," Smit said.
Among the new evidence Smit points to that supports an intruder theory is a partial print on a suitcase found under a window in the Ramseys' basement. Smit believes an intruder could have stepped on the suitcase to get out of the window.
Beckner said he could not comment on that piece of evidence, other than "be careful about accepting that as evidence."
Smit also said foreign DNA found on JonBenét's body is definitely male, but he is unsure if the DNA underneath JonBenét's fingernails matches DNA on her underwear.
Smit said six handwriting experts during the police investigation examined Patsy Ramsey's handwriting, but the results were either "inconclusive or below."
Smit revealed that police found fibers from the same carpet on a baseball bat discovered in bushes outside the family's Boulder home. Beckner said the bat is "part of our investigation, and we are satisfied with what we came up with."
http://web.dailycamera.com/extra/ramsey/1999/16arams.html
What does Beckner's last comment about the bat fiber mean? I don't know. But the excerpt does establish that from the BPD's POV Smit was not a reliable source. I'm too lazy to dig up a reference but I recall Hunter saying something to the effect that he didn't want Smit testifying because of the inaccurate information he was spreading.

That is my long-winded way of saying that any info that can only be sourced to Wood via his filings is likely from Smit who is an unreliable source. While Mary Lacy later put Smit back on the case and theoretically gave him access to the evidence, there's no indication he looked at it or updated Wood. I recall Koldkase on FFJ ripping into the brown paper bag/rope fibers and making a pretty convincing case via the transcripts that he lied about it which I can locate if anyone is interested. Not sure if that is the same as/being confused with the cord fibers being discussed or if that is a separate piece of alleged evidence.

Agree that CBS is interested in completely in money, not necessarily solving cases, although solving cases can lead to more money. But why would Burke accept a small fee?

I think they should have paid Burke or the family a small piece of change since jbr and mom is dead for years now; But they (cbs) still wanted to allow a documentary on his sisters case that was going to net them millions in advertisement while still leaving viewers to speculate burkes involvement 20 years later while he was 9 years old at the time. Jmo.

So why not give Burke 50k and tell him that its just business since you could never be tried but we still want to profit on this salacious unsolved story?

Jmo.

I think they should have paid Burke or the family a small piece of change since jbr and mom is dead for years now; But they (cbs) still wanted to allow a documentary on his sisters case that was going to net them millions in advertisement while still leaving viewers to speculate burkes involvement 20 years later while he was 9 years old at the time. Jmo.

So why not give Burke 50k and tell him that its just business since you could never be tried but we still want to profit on this salacious unsolved story?

Jmo.

Because paying him any amount of money without requiring him to legally absolve CBS from any and all potential liability would do nothing for CBS. And his attorney would advise him not to legally absolve CBS for 50k, or for any amount of money for that matter, before he could assess whether he believed the broadcast defamed his client.

The 750 million is a nonsense number, but I'd guess Lin is looking for a seven figure settlement.

The Ramsey's want people talking about this crime. Why do you think John goes on television all the time. If people talk about the case, the media will write about it or produce programs about it and the Ramsey's will sue and settle from now to eternity. This is now a family business, make no bones about it.

You are probably right and this is mostly about them being greedy. But IMO it is also about them having a big ego. They just have to claim over and over again that they are right and they are the victims.

Let's assume for one second that IDI. It makes me sick how much money, effort, working hours these parents spent to defend their *advertiser censored* but never to catch the real killer.

There are so many parents without money who sacrifice everything in order to find out the truth if something happend to their kids.

It really makes you sick. And you know what??Even IF IDI I bet the Ramseys would have acted the same! Cover your *advertiser censored* first, forget about the victim.

I will repeat myself but geez I would like someone in the media to ask Wood this.

If all these suits are about justice and the Ramseys being wrongly accused WHY DONT YOU SUE the BPD????If IDI the main reason the intruder was never caught is what the bpd did and didnt do at the crime scene.

I will repeat myself but geez I would like someone in the media to ask Wood this.

If all these suits are about justice and the Ramseys being wrongly accused WHY DONT YOU SUE the BPD????If IDI the main reason the intruder was never caught is what the bpd did and didnt do at the crime scene.
The police generally have immunity from civil litigation. I'm not speaking about Colorado specifically, but generally speaking they can't be sued for doing a crap job on an investigation. And even if it were possible the statute of limitations is long up. Not that Woody would ever go after them if he could, because of course he's quite happy with their investigation.

The police generally have immunity from civil litigation. I'm not speaking about Colorado specifically, but generally speaking they can't be sued for doing a crap job on an investigation. And even if it were possible the statute of limitations is long up. Not that Woody would ever go after them if he could, because of course he's quite happy with their investigation.

A sloppy investigation is a dream come true for any defence lawyer. See OJ. And so many other cases. It is frustrating cause they don't even PRETEND to look for an intruder. Nobody from their team even asked Smit's daughter to hand them over his archive, I bet. If there was an intruder it is damn obvious the Ramseys know that person and that person wad familiar with the house. So not impossible to catch the guy if you really want AND have the money to hire the best of the best.

If BR wins how much money will he spend to help find out who did this? Not one cent. And we all know why. There was no intruder.

They spent all their fortune to defend themselves and their freaking image. Dunno how much a normal person would care about that when having two DEAD CHILDREN and a wife suffering from a deadly disease.

It almost made me sick how smug LW was on Dr. Phil talking about how he threatened to sue the city of Boulder to pressure Mary Lacy to take the case away from the police. Or, as I suspect now that we know just how screwed up her priorities were in while in office, to give her an excuse. Has anyone ever even done this before? The prime suspects' lawyer gets the District Attorney (who happens to 'particularly like' both of them) to wrest the case away from the investigators?? It doesn't seem like Lin would have much of a case here - just more hot air from a notorious gasbag - but she folded immediately anyway. A grand conspiracy isn't necessary, he leaned on an IDIot who was already inclined to agree that the BPD was persecuting the Ramseys. Such slimy people in such a bizarre situation. LW clearly thinks pulling this off makes his clients look good - I strongly disagree.

So yeah, that's as close as LW will ever get to suing the BPD/Boulder. He got what he wanted from ML but she's the only one who would do it for him. Stan Garnett wouldn't roll over for Woody and he knows there's no case anyway. Probably wouldn't even go to a settlement. And since his overriding concern is money rather than justice, he'd be smart to stick with suing the media outlets with deep pockets.

It almost made me sick how smug LW was on Dr. Phil talking about how he threatened to sue the city of Boulder to pressure Mary Lacy to take the case away from the police. Or, as I suspect now that we know just how screwed up her priorities were in while in office, to give her an excuse. Has anyone ever even done this before? The prime suspects' lawyer gets the District Attorney (who happens to 'particularly like' both of them) to wrest the case away from the investigators?? It doesn't seem like Lin would have much of a case here - just more hot air from a notorious gasbag - but she folded immediately anyway. A grand conspiracy isn't necessary, he leaned on an IDIot who was already inclined to agree that the BPD was persecuting the Ramseys. Such slimy people in such a bizarre situation. LW clearly thinks pulling this off makes his clients look good - I strongly disagree.

So yeah, that's as close as LW will ever get to suing the BPD/Boulder. He got what he wanted from ML but she's the only one who would do it for him. Stan Garnett wouldn't roll over for Woody and he knows there's no case anyway. Probably wouldn't even go to a settlement. And since his overriding concern is money rather than justice, he'd be smart to stick with suing the media outlets with deep pockets.

I would like to point out that Boulder is a unique community within the United States. There is literally no other community in this country like Boulder. It was built for very specific circumstances and each public official has always been hand picked by the community. It is a small community and does not allow for population growth.

I am working on an essay discussing the history of Boulder and how it handled the Ramsey case according to Boulder standards. This is the only case anyone outside of Boulder, and to a lesser extent Colorado, knows about because it was sensationalized in the media, but the way this case was handled is the norm for Boulder.

I planned on posting that essay here this week but a child went missing in my neighborhood so I was involved in that so hopefully I can finish and post it in the next few days. I think it might help non-Boulderites understand more clearly why the case was handled the way it was and why it was (and is) still considered a successful community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm looking forward to reading your essay, SerenitySprings. Was the child found?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member