FL - Five killed, 8 wounded in shooting at Fort Lauderdale Airport, 6 Jan 2017

im not sure what you mean re: internet narrative vs. msm?

those claims only exist as an "internet narrative" and MSM has reported that those claims exist and are unsubstantiated, now they have been dismissed by the investigators on the case.

bbm, exactly. That is why I don't read/trust everything I read on the interconnect much less some msm. jmo

bbm, exactly. That is why I don't read/trust everything I read on the interconnect much less some msm. jmo

definitely, thats why its great that in this case the claims that are being made are based on evidence that is right online and you can go look at it, the actual source material for the claims. and i think it is clear that almost all of it is either unsupported or extremely exaggerated. tho there are 2 or 3 points that are interesting and merit further investigation, they just dont prove what is being claimed.

i wonder if this is one of the ISIS pro-jihad videos he watched;

[video=youtube;XJCyGFisfS4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJCyGFisfS4[/video]

I landed in Detroit just after this happened on Friday. I was certainly not comfortable going to baggage claim. When I flew back on Monday Seattle baggage area and waiting area was full of police. Never seen it so secure before. The police were not letting anyone sit outside. They were making people move if not actively loading or unloading. Definitely made me feel safer. So sad for all the families effected.

i wonder if this is one of the ISIS pro-jihad videos he watched;

[video=youtube;XJCyGFisfS4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJCyGFisfS4[/video]

Well now we've ALL watched it! Good going drjones! We're all sleeper agents now.

(humor, y'all... LOL)

I landed in Detroit just after this happened on Friday. I was certainly not comfortable going to baggage claim. When I flew back on Monday Seattle baggage area and waiting area was full of police. Never seen it so secure before. The police were not letting anyone sit outside. They were making people move if not actively loading or unloading. Definitely made me feel safer. So sad for all the families effected.

In cars or pedestrians?

Very lengthy article.
Airport shooter faces death penalty but actual execution is unlikely
“This guy was clearly mentally ill. He reached out to the FBI because of his paranoia,” said Miami capital-litigation lawyer Terry Lenamon, who is not involved in the case. “There will be a lot of mitigation to work with.”

Kaiser, the former federal prosecutor who was involved as a defense attorney in the 2007 Joe Cool case, agreed with him.
It’s a tough death case. Once you start peeling back the onion, you never know what you’re going to find.
Allan Kaiser, Miami defense attorney and former federal prosecutor

“It’s a tough death case,” Kaiser said, citing Santiago’s mental health problems, his approaching the FBI and his recovering the firearm from police. “Once you start peeling back the onion, you never know what you’re going to find.”
Miami defense attorney Bruce Fleisher, who has been involved in more than 80 capital and homicide cases, said no one should jump to conclusions about Santiago’s state of mind based soley on his cold, calculating demeanor shown on an airport surveillance video of the shooting.
Fleisher said Santiago’s defense team — including the federal public defender’s office assigned to represent him this week — will have to conduct a complete historical, medical and psychiatric evaluation to assess his profile and gauge what made him snap.
“I don’t think anyone can offer their opinion until they do their due dilligence,” Fleisher said. “It’s the ultimate due dilligence to investigate every aspect of your client’s life. ... Does he have a viable insanity defense?”
But insanity defenses are notoriously difficult – lawyers must prove that a killer was insane enough that they didn’t know right from wrong at the time of the crime.
But in Santiago’s case, prosecutors would likely be able to prove a methodical premeditation: He packed his gun in a case, flew cross-country on a one-way ticket, loaded his gun in an airport bathroom and cooly opened fire – before encountering a deputy while exiting the airport, then surrendering to police.
Santiago’s “goal-directed” behavior will make an insanity defense difficult to prove by “clear and convincing evidence,” said G.P. Della Ferra, a Miami death-penalty defense lawyer.
“You would presume if someone were in a full-blown manic episode – and didn’t know right from wrong – they wouldn’t have the capability to check in a gun, bring it to Florida, get it off the plane, load it and start firing,” Della Ferra said. “All that shows he was acting pretty rationally.”

http://www.kristv.com/story/34246314/suspected-airport-gunmans-life-unraveled-over-past-year
ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) - Esteban Santiago stood alone in the cold one day last month outside Mom & Pop's liquor store in Anchorage. He was waving his arms and having a terrible argument in the parking lot.

"He'd just be talking to himself ... screaming as if he was having a battle with himself," said Naomi Harden, a clerk at the store, situated across the street from the motel where Santiago lived.
The 26-year-old Iraq War veteran was usually a quiet and solitary figure, those who knew and worked with him said. But over the past year, he grew increasingly violent, interviews and records show. And in recent weeks Santiago was seen screaming into the night from his motel window, Harden said.
In October there were two domestic disturbance calls. He was again accused by his girlfriend of trying to strangle her, but police said there was no probable cause to arrest him in either instance.

After that, Santiago moved to the Qupqugiaq Inn, a hostel-like motel in a gritty neighborhood, even by Anchorage standards. Rasim Kadriu, who owns an auto repair shop directly behind the motel, said it "attracts the wrong type of people."
He stayed in one of the hotel's six narrow, wood-paneled "pods." The small rooms had only a bed.
Nor is it clear why Santiago went to Florida. He had some family there, but they said they hadn't seen him in years. He had also booked, and canceled, another flight, an Alaska-to-Puerto Rico trip that would have included a layover in New York on New Year's Day, according to a law enforcement official who wasn't authorized to discuss the investigation and spoke on condition of anonymity.

Very lengthy article.

Or totally delusional and on a mission

the cia has advised him that they are in the FL area.

I think the I am not jewish and hitting the floor separated from his gun is very war zone ey when you run out of ammunition.

IMO says much about state of mind

that is from three days ago, what i posted is from yesterday. i think its already linked here, if it isnt i will find it.

edit - just for clarity, the report i am quoting doesnt say they have ruled out terrorism either, of course they havent ruled it out

kinda predictable

They wait until the media is on the next mass shooting and will release a small thing that ends up on page 6 that says another mental illness failure in the USA and it goes away...................... congress get another 1.5 billion for the military complex ,,, and so it goes

moo

Or totally delusional and on a mission

the cia has advised him that they are in the FL area.

I think the I am not jewish and hitting the floor separated from his gun is very war zone ey when you run out of ammunition.

IMO says much about state of mind

War zone rules are you do not surrender.

rbbm

Things that make you say...hmmmm! I'm certain they didn't report him to the FBI because he was slacking at work.

THe FBI told Omars first wife not to mention anything about his sexual leanings either

FBI Told Orlando Shooter's Wife Not to Tell US Media He Was Gay

gotta keep the agenda - keep the $ rolling

terrorists terrorists terrorists terrorists

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS702US702&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=fbi%20told%20amamr%20mateen%20wife%20not%20to%20mnetion%20gay

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fo...rt-shooter-left-in-alaska-20170112-story.html
Airport shooting suspect Esteban Santiago told multiple residents of the Qupqugiaq Inn that he’d soon return here from a trip, but instead left behind unused ammo, gun shop receipts and other key evidence for federal investigators probing last week’s massacre at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International airport.The FBI seized that property, along with an Alaska Army National Guard backpack, a mobile telephone, his laptop, a pair of keys, receipts from a Cabela’s store and a “Brother S Mobile ID Card Scanner,” according to an inventory obtained by the Sun Sentinel.
Santiago, 26, rented one of six $30-per-night “Japanese-style sleeping pod” rooms in the month before he flew to Fort Lauderdale last Friday and shot five people to death at the airport. Secured with an electronic lock, Santiago’s squat quarters and the entire hallway of pods have been closed off while investigators comb for evidence. 

"There's a common misconception that mental illness means someone can't carry out an act that requires any planning, but the r esearch shows that the planning of such an act can be driven by the illness," Cahn said

Some people with schizophrenia can act in a very methodical way and appear very unemotional because of their condition, he said. Cahn, who has a long history of representing mentally ill suspects, handled lengthy litigation about a decision by authorities to forcibly medicate Loughner, the Arizona shooter, who was diagnosed with schizophrenia.

interesting piece

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fort-lauderdale-hollywood-airport-shooting/fl-defending-esteban-santiago-death-20170110-story.html

Maybe a bit O/T but interesting context / background re Alaska laws from 2002 article.

Concealed Gun Law in Alaska Case
"Courts: State rule that mental illness is no reason to deny someone a permit raises safety fears. Gun rights activists say provision protects rights of residents. The court declared that under Alaska law, mental illness by itself cannot be considered in deciding fitness to carry a concealed weapon...."

"But the old state law [
pre-1998 changes] went beyond federal law. It also asked whether the applicant was mentally ill or had been treated for mental illness in the past five years. The 1998 change deleted those questions." bbm

"Republican state Sen. Lyda Green, who sponsored the 1998 law, said Alaska law was changed to make it consistent with federal law. The changes also reduced the likelihood that someone could unjustly smear a gun owner with a claim of mental illness and cause that person to lose a carry permit.The current law provides the state with an avenue for dealing with Wagner, she said.
"The court still has the ability to rule that 'You can't carry,' " Green said. "Now, he should be adjudicated."

http://articles.latimes.com/2002/jan/06/local/me-20649 (Jan 6, 2002)

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88
Back