TX - Terri 'Missy' Bevers, 45, killed in church/suspect in SWAT gear, 18 Apr 2016 #39

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here ya go. Now the People Magazine article references them "exploring the option" of an untargeted hit. But I think I remember that the more direct quote at the time was "leaning toward" untargeted hit. Just can't locate where the "leaning toward" article is at the moment.

http://people.com/crime/missy-bevers-texas-murder-update/

During their investigation, police discovered through search warrants that Missy was dealing with “an ongoing financial and marital struggle,” and that she’d sent “flirtatious and familiar” messages to someone else. But after looking into that revelation as a possible motive, “the love-triangle thing is not really panning out so far,” Johnson said this summer.

That meant investigators were exploring the option that the crime was “an untargeted type of hit,” which greatly opened up the field of suspects — that it could be someone Missy knew or it could not. And while Johnson said in July he would not officially eliminate anyone as a suspect, Missy’s family was not a “focus of the investigation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnson states LE is “exploring” possible untargeted hit. To me, that doesn’t mean LE is ruling out targeted hit.

Johnson states LE is “exploring” possible untargeted hit. To me, that doesn’t mean LE is ruling out targeted hit.

Right, and the verbiage I thought I recalled was originally "leaning toward", which doesn't rule other options out either although it is a little bit stronger. Also possible that my memory is faulty and that it was always "exploring the option".

Still, it's kind of a big deal that at that point 3 months into the investigation and after looking at tons of info, what they're willing to go on the record about exploring is the untargeted option.

At some point we might want to actually consider what they seem to be telling us.

I think this guy is a joyriding breaking and entering prowler burgler type guy. Robbery isn't the motive but he is opportunistic if something catches his attention. He never intended to run into anyone and was probably in the interior of the building during the few minutes it took for MB to pull through the parking lot and let herself in. There was a confrontation in or around the main hallway just beyond the range of the main hallway camera and he panicked and kept swinging, finally putting her down. He kept on until she stopped screaming and fighting. I think he booked it out of there into his car parked behind the kitchen door.

I agree with you very much so, and am also a longtime resident in that camp.. I'm in my senior year at that school of thought..

If I could come up with more puns, I'd share them here.. but that's all I've got

The theory I lean towards is the simpler, not twisted, in your face kind of motive. Missy and her husband were having marriage problems, money problems and possible affairs. We have a husband out of town on a annual trip as well as the father-in-law vacationing at the exact same time. Then you have the husband's behavior which seems peculiar to me in that he appears distant and unemotional when talking about Missy on camera. I just get a weird vibe! The murder itself appears to be planned in advance, rain or shine...either way, I believe the plan was for her to die in that church, that morning, while her husband was out of town. I really don't put any weight on the fact that she posted on FB the evening before that due to rain the class would be moved inside. It was said that Missy would open the church to unlock the bathrooms for the campers even when holding the class outside which I believe is a known detail to the person who hired the hit...so even if it weren't raining, she would have still entered the church that morning. I feel the murder was a hired hit - no burglary - and well planned by an individual that knew Missy's routine very well. That individual would also make sure they had an ironclad alibi like being out of town.

Agree completely! What are the chances of BOTH the husband and the father-in-law being out of town during the murder? This is a red flag I cannot ignore. Add to this all the other things the husband has said. Hired hit indeed. I cannot wait for this case to be solved. Poor Missy.

Right, and the verbiage I thought I recalled was originally "leaning toward", which doesn't rule other options out either although it is a little bit stronger. Also possible that my memory is faulty and that it was always "exploring the option".

Still, it's kind of a big deal that at that point 3 months into the investigation and after looking at tons of info, what they're willing to go on the record about exploring is the untargeted option.

At some point we might want to actually consider what they seem to be telling us.

Without an arrest LE would be fools not to explore all possibilities. IMO - that's what their statements are saying and they haven't said they believe one possibility is stronger than the other. Everyone interpets what they "seem" to be saying differently. Just because others don't interpret it the same way doesn't mean they aren't considering LE's statements. Not being snarky, but your comment, "At some point we might want to actually consider what they seem to be telling us." comes across as condescending.

Ok, don't think I'm completely insane, but I just had a thought....with the timeframe being so small for the perp to have left the church and the class member that arrived early not seeing them....could the perp have been hiding inside the church?? Those ceilings, it's very easy to lift one of the squares or rectangles up and get into the crawl space.

OR the perp had someone waiting to pick them up. If there was no other vehicles in the parking lot ****though I seem to remember there might have been one but too far away to identify??**** Then how the heck did this perp leave?? They just vanished?? Beam me up??

Daggoneit, they left somehow!!!!

While I do not think this is what happened here, this did happen to my mother. She was attacked as she was leaving work one night. She had worked late, a maintenance man who was a crack addict had taken up residence in one of the offices they were remodeling had snatched her up and dragged her in she put up a fight people heard her from four floors up... he hid in the removable ceiling tiles, but the cops found him, she survived, barely.

While I do not think this is what happened here, this did happen to my mother. She was attacked as she was leaving work one night. She had worked late, a maintenance man who was a crack addict had taken up residence in one of the offices they were remodeling had snatched her up and dragged her in she put up a fight people heard her from four floors up... he hid in the removable ceiling tiles, but the cops found him, she survived, barely.

That's horrifying. I'm sorry to hear this.

Without an arrest LE would be fools not to explore all possibilities. IMO - that's what their statements are saying and they haven't said they believe one possibility is stronger than the other. Everyone interpets what they "seem" to be saying differently. Just because others don't interpret it the same way doesn't mean they aren't considering LE's statements. Not being snarky, but your comment, "At some point we might want to actually consider what they seem to be telling us." comes across as condescending.

No condescension intended. I think when you look at the totality of what MPD is saying when they do say something, it seems like they're moving in a different direction than the direction of prevailing opinion of the public. That's my opinion, and of course others are welcome to have differing opinions. But I do try to correct misinformation, and when someone says, "MPD believes MB was targeted", I'm just pointing out the conflict between that statement and what MPD has actually said. It seems to me that there are those who believe it was targeted, who don't seem to notice when MPD makes a statement that might conflict with that. I'm not even talking about what actually happened with the murder; I'm simply talking about what's trending with MPD's own mindset, as best I can interpret it myself.

A police department can't efficiently explore all options at once, don't you agree? That's not human nature and it's not my understanding of how LE works. They develop a theory or two and then they head down the road of the theory they favor. If that isn't going very far, they turn around and go down a different path. Hopefully they're going where the evidence leads, certainly, but in this case there doesn't seem to be a lot of evidence. So...

Their most recent statements from the summer onward have been that they've checked out 1,000-plus leads. That the only remaining lead is the Altima. That they don't believe the Altima is involved, but want to talk to the driver so they can close it out. That they have looked into the love triangle scenario, but it hasn't panned out. That the family has not been a focus of the investigation. That FB forensics of MB and BB have not revealed anything of evidentiary value. That they have turned to exploring the option that it was untargeted, which is not something they were focused on in the early period of the investigation, when they were saying things like, "We believe MB had been in touch with her killer."

So my own personal assessment is that MPD has no information that ties anyone specifically to this murder who MB was related to or acquainted with. So until some info comes their way that says otherwise, I think they're looking for a stranger.

This was discussed in the earlier threads and I believe a poster at that time mentioned at least one of the dogs was not local (Oklahoma?). It doesn't seem odd to me that if the autopsy results were in by Tuesday that the dog(s) wouldn't get there until the next day.
That was my mistake - saying Oklahoma. Per the dog's bio it is based in Dallas. I don't need a mistake of mine sowing wrong information.

The theory I lean towards is the simpler, not twisted, in your face kind of motive. Missy and her husband were having marriage problems, money problems and possible affairs. We have a husband out of town on a annual trip as well as the father-in-law vacationing at the exact same time. Then you have the husband's behavior which seems peculiar to me in that he appears distant and unemotional when talking about Missy on camera. I just get a weird vibe! The murder itself appears to be planned in advance, rain or shine...either way, I believe the plan was for her to die in that church, that morning, while her husband was out of town. I really don't put any weight on the fact that she posted on FB the evening before that due to rain the class would be moved inside. It was said that Missy would open the church to unlock the bathrooms for the campers even when holding the class outside which I believe is a known detail to the person who hired the hit...so even if it weren't raining, she would have still entered the church that morning. I feel the murder was a hired hit - no burglary - and well planned by an individual that knew Missy's routine very well. That individual would also make sure they had an ironclad alibi like being out of town.
Agree! And I think it's possible for a hired hit to get personal especially if when the victim fights back and the SP has to put out alot more effort than expected. Like what if a strong MB reacted quickly knocking away a gun so the SP grabs the next thing, the hammer. In that scenario even a hired hit could get much more brutal than planned.

Agree! And I think it's possible for a hired hit to get personal especially if when the victim fights back and the SP has to put out alot more effort than expected. Like what if a strong MB reacted quickly knocking away a gun so the SP grabs the next thing, the hammer. In that scenario even a hired hit could get much more brutal than planned.

Yes, I agree - or the hired hit could have been instructed to carry out the murder the way that it was.

Here ya go. Now the People Magazine article references them "exploring the option" of an untargeted hit. But I think I remember that the more direct quote at the time was "leaning toward" untargeted hit. Just can't locate where the "leaning toward" article is at the moment.

http://people.com/crime/missy-bevers-texas-murder-update/

During their investigation, police discovered through search warrants that Missy was dealing with “an ongoing financial and marital struggle,” and that she’d sent “flirtatious and familiar” messages to someone else. But after looking into that revelation as a possible motive, “the love-triangle thing is not really panning out so far,” Johnson said this summer.

That meant investigators were exploring the option that the crime was “an untargeted type of hit,” which greatly opened up the field of suspects — that it could be someone Missy knew or it could not. And while Johnson said in July he would not officially eliminate anyone as a suspect, Missy’s family was not a “focus of the investigation.

Thanks for the information. I'm certainly reticent to take People's interpretation of LE words as gospel, and I think you feel the same, because we have the ability here to focus on the source words themselves without the media filter.

But even in People's words, there's not a narrative that LE has decided it is an untargeted hit - only that "untargeted" was an added option they are looking at now. People's narrative is that LE began with evidence that pointed to the idea that she had been targeted, but nothing in that direction had panned out, so now they have expanded their thinking to INCLUDE non-targeted theories as well.

IOW at this time, they really aren't saying either way, between targeted or untargeted. They think it could be either one.

ETA - I see from later posts that you are now saying essentially the same as what I just wrote. Gotcha.

So sorry that happened to your mom. To experience something so terrible is certainly life-changing in the worst way.

Agree completely! What are the chances of BOTH the husband and the father-in-law being out of town during the murder? This is a red flag I cannot ignore. Add to this all the other things the husband has said. Hired hit indeed....

^ bbm sbm IIRC LE said: MB's FiL & MiL were in RV out of state (CA?) on day of MB's death. While some ppl would conclude that means they were on a vacation, away from their regular Midlo/DFW area home and therefore timing of trip is a cohinkydink, is that necessarily true?

If a couple owns/occupies home/apt in Midlo-DFW area and has an RV they 'take trips' in, then yes, an out-of-state trip (far from Midlo/DFW area) timing may seem suspect. But somehow, I got impression MB's FiL had previously vacated/sold home/apt in Midlo/DFW area (IDK when) and either:
1. permanently moved far away from Midlo/DFW area (perhaps CA?) or
2. moved into an RV, traveled in it, & were 'RV full-timers.' *

If 1. or 2. is true, then imo their timing of being away from Midlo at time of MB's death was not suspicious. Not intending to sleuth, in fact, saying FiL being far away (if true) is not necessarily a cohinkydink, meriting suspicion (as some ppl suggested). All JM2cts.

{ETA: If anyone can link LE's stmt re FiL's location on day of MB's death, thx in adv.}

* Some ppl live in RVs full time and have no 'other home-base' and perhaps no belongings elsewhere, esp when ~ 60 y/o or close to retirement. Some stay in one place for months or years; some move around every few days. Some ppl travel in RVs for business/work purposes and some travel in RVs only for vacations.
More info at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fulltiming and http://www.motorhome365.com/ and https://escapees.com/ .

personaly I think this was planned like an Army Operation including the Alibis.

Overplanned if anything - this was NOT random.

IMHO

^ bbm sbm IIRC LE said: MB's FiL & MiL were in RV out of state (CA?) on day of MB's death. While some ppl would conclude that means they were on a vacation, away from their regular Midlo/DFW area home and therefore timing of trip is a cohinkydink, is that necessarily true?

If a couple owns/occupies home/apt in Midlo-DFW area and has an RV they 'take trips' in, then yes, an out-of-state trip (far from Midlo/DFW area) timing may seem suspect. But somehow, I got impression MB's FiL had previously vacated/sold home/apt in Midlo/DFW area (IDK when) and either:
1. permanently moved far away from Midlo/DFW area (perhaps CA?) or
2. moved into an RV, traveled in it, & were 'RV full-timers.' *

If 1. or 2. is true, then imo their timing of being away from Midlo at time of MB's death was not suspicious. Not intending to sleuth, in fact, saying FiL being far away (if true) is not necessarily a cohinkydink, meriting suspicion (as some ppl suggested). All JM2cts.

{ETA: If anyone can link LE's stmt re FiL's location on day of MB's death, thx in adv.}

* Some ppl live in RVs full time and have no 'other home-base' and perhaps no belongings elsewhere, esp when ~ 60 y/o or close to retirement. Some stay in one place for months or years; some move around every few days. Some ppl travel in RVs for business/work purposes and some travel in RVs only for vacations.
More info at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fulltiming and http://www.motorhome365.com/ and https://escapees.com/ .

RB did not live in Midlo but in Austin Tx. I have no idea if he's involved or not. Jmoo

I think whether this was a targeted or untargeted hit depends entirely on whether or not the SP is the person driving the Altima.

If the Altima is unrelated, then I see endless possibilities as to the identity and motive of the SP. I can't even begin to speculate, and in this scenario, LE would be miles ahead anyhow, having been at the scene and seen all of the details.

If the Altima is related, I see a moonlighting burglar desperate to not be caught or identified at the scene. I seriously doubt that if SP had planned this thing out so immaculately like a professional hired killer they would be seen driving around and even WAITING at a heavily monitored parking lot with nearly a dozen different camera angles. The suggestion that being seen on camera in that car was intentional and part of some grand plan is ridiculous to me. Whether the plates are stolen or not, being in that car on that much video strikes me as the kind of risk no professional would ever take, and the kind of plan no mastermind would ever consider... but it just might be an acceptable risk to someone who wants to break some laws under the cover of darkness and rain, because this amount of attention and investigation would NEVER have happened without the death of MB, and it would be long forgotten.

With just these observations alone, I'd be leaning towards an untargeted hit, even with the additional information about marriage troubles. There's always the possibility of more than one person being involved, with a getaway driver in the Altima and all that jazz, but the risks are the same, and it seems like only pure luck saved this person from being identified.

Just my opinions, of course.. please don't hurt me

I think whether this was a targeted or untargeted hit depends entirely on whether or not the SP is the person driving the Altima.

If the Altima is unrelated, then I see endless possibilities as to the identity and motive of the SP. I can't even begin to speculate, and in this scenario, LE would be miles ahead anyhow, having been at the scene and seen all of the details.

If the Altima is related, I see a moonlighting burglar desperate to not be caught or identified at the scene. I seriously doubt that if SP had planned this thing out so immaculately like a professional hired killer they would be seen driving around and even WAITING at a heavily monitored parking lot with nearly a dozen different camera angles. The suggestion that being seen on camera in that car was intentional and part of some grand plan is ridiculous to me. Whether the plates are stolen or not, being in that car on that much video strikes me as the kind of risk no professional would ever take, and the kind of plan no mastermind would ever consider... but it just might be an acceptable risk to someone who wants to break some laws under the cover of darkness and rain, because this amount of attention and investigation would NEVER have happened without the death of MB, and it would be long forgotten.

With just these observations alone, I'd be leaning towards an untargeted hit, even with the additional information about marriage troubles. There's always the possibility of more than one person being involved, with a getaway driver in the Altima and all that jazz, but the risks are the same, and it seems like only pure luck saved this person from being identified.

Just my opinions, of course.. please don't hurt me

The Altima could have been used as a decoy while there was other activity being done in another vehicle elsewhere. Possibly? Who knows? ITs all so strange

Thanks for the information. I'm certainly reticent to take People's interpretation of LE words as gospel, and I think you feel the same, because we have the ability here to focus on the source words themselves without the media filter.

But even in People's words, there's not a narrative that LE has decided it is an untargeted hit - only that "untargeted" was an added option they are looking at now. People's narrative is that LE began with evidence that pointed to the idea that she had been targeted, but nothing in that direction had panned out, so now they have expanded their thinking to INCLUDE non-targeted theories as well.

IOW at this time, they really aren't saying either way, between targeted or untargeted. They think it could be either one.

ETA - I see from later posts that you are now saying essentially the same as what I just wrote. Gotcha.

Right, I would only add that LE doesn't typically "add to" their theories and do a whole lot of simultaneous exploring. They pick a cart, hitch their horse to it, and ride it as long as possible. It takes quite a bit for them to change approach because they're human and just like us, they become invested in a theory to an extent. I just hope they have the resources they need and are able to put fresh eyes on it from time to time.

RSBMFF

Their most recent statements from the summer onward have been that they've checked out 1,000-plus leads. That the only remaining lead is the Altima. That they don't believe the Altima is involved, but want to talk to the driver so they can close it out. That they have looked into the love triangle scenario, but it hasn't panned out. That the family has not been a focus of the investigation. That FB forensics of MB and BB have not revealed anything of evidentiary value. That they have turned to exploring the option that it was untargeted, which is not something they were focused on in the early period of the investigation, when they were saying things like, "We believe MB had been in touch with her killer."

So my own personal assessment is that MPD has no information that ties anyone specifically to this murder who MB was related to or acquainted with. So until some info comes their way that says otherwise, I think they're looking for a stranger.

until some info comes their way that says otherwise, I think they're looking for a stranger
Beep, beep! Not quite so fast, cannonball!

Your point of LEO looking for a stranger may or may not be completely true. For instance, what if SP knew MB yet MB had no suspicions this SP detested her from afar? That would make SP within MBs circle of relationships, by extension, but no reason to be listed on a SW.

Perhaps the killing was meant to teach others a life lesson b/c we saw how many lives have been upended by the release of the SWs and unfounded public charges.

SP was not squeamish. Possibly trained "not to feel" when targeting and killing the enemy. Why did SP fear MB's influence and impact on SPs family, friends, and the Midlo community? MB had empowered herself in more ways than one and was gaining more power each and every day.

The location is a wonderful clue toward motive. SP sent a message from the House of the Lord. jmho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member