ND ND - Barbara Cotton, 15, Williston, 11 Apr 1981

Hello,

I found a 1982 UID in TX, a little outside the age range, but was found to have scoliosis and likely walked with a limp. And they had to estimate age based on partial remains.

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/4603

Barbara's NAMUS profile no longer has the information about scoliosis and a limp , but it is still on the DOENETWORK page :

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1dfnd.html

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/2921/0/

What do you guys think, is it worth trying to submit?

Bumping :)

How about this unidentified.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/25ufca.html

attachment.php
attachment.php

Pros
~ Same height
~ Same eye colour
~ Both have scoliosis

Cons
~ Unidentified weighs heavier
~ Different state
~ Unidentified's teeth is a worse state
~ 8 year gap between disappearance and death

What do you guys think?

Attachments

• BCotton.jpg
    BCotton.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 119
  • 25UFCA.jpg
    25UFCA.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 120
I think it's worth a shot.. why don't you submit both your UID, and the one I posted above [the one in TX] ? I've been too busy to submit.

How about this unidentified.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/25ufca.html

attachment.php
attachment.php

Pros
~ Same height
~ Same eye colour
~ Both have scoliosis

Cons
~ Unidentified weighs heavier
~ Different state
~ Unidentified's teeth is a worse state
~ 8 year gap between disappearance and death

What do you guys think?

it depends... check the IDentifyus.org profile, as well as any other pages, for who to contact.
Usually a phone call yields more; I have submitted other items via email , and never received replies.

Do you have any other photos of Barbara you could share to help with possible identification?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

From charleyproject:

Barbara was last seen leaving a restaurant on Main Street in her hometown of Williston, North Dakota during the evening hours of April 11, 1981.

She had dinner there with a friend and her boyfriend and her boyfriend offered to accompany her home afterwards, but she declined and left the restaurant alone. Her boyfriend watched her walk to Reclamation Park, which is five blocks from home.

Barbara never arrived at her destination and has never been heard from again. She did not take her clothes, eyeglasses, cigarettes, money, or any other personal belongings with her when she disappeared. She also left behind a paycheck from work. Her younger brother stated he was very close to Barbara and she never told him of any plans to leave home.

Barbara's case was originally investigated as a runaway case and a missing persons report was not filed for several days as a result.

Authorities now believe that she may have been abducted, but the prime suspect in her disappearance, a former boyfriend of Barbara's, is now deceased. Her case is considered open and unsolved.

She went missing from a small town of 25.000. She ws out with her boyfriend and she walked a few blocks to her home and never came back. A former boyfriend is a suspect but now he's deceased. Feels like the LE knows more then us but there is no closure because there is no proof.

Missing for 40 years...

Barbara Louise Cotton
barbara_louise_cotton_1.jpg
barbara_louise_cotton_2.jpg
cotton_barbara_ap.jpg

Barbara, age 15 circa 1981; Age-progression to age 54 (circa 2019)

• Missing Since 04/11/1981
  • Missing From Williston, North Dakota
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 11/10/1965 (55)
  • Age 15 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'2, 100 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A blouse, jeans and loafers.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Brown hair, hazel eyes. Barbara's ears are pierced, and her left ear is slightly lower than her right ear. She has a dark brown mole on the upper right side of her chest. Barbara has a pronounced "S" curve in her spine, which causes her to walk with a slight limp. She smoked cigarettes in 1981. Barbara wears eyeglasses, but left hers behind she disappeared. Her teeth were in excellent condition at the time of her disappearance.
Details of Disappearance

Barbara was last seen leaving a restaurant on Main Street in her hometown of Williston, North Dakota during the evening hours of April 11, 1981. She had dinner there with a friend and her boyfriend. Her boyfriend offered to accompany her home afterwards, but she declined and left the restaurant alone. Her boyfriend watched her walk to Recreation Park, which is five blocks from home.

Barbara never arrived at her destination and has never been heard from again. She did not take her clothes, eyeglasses, cigarettes, money, or any other personal belongings with her when she disappeared. She also left behind a paycheck from work. Her younger brother stated he was very close to Barbara and she never told him of any plans to leave home.

Barbara's case was originally investigated as a runaway case and a missing persons report was not filed for several days as a result. Authorities now believe that she may have been abducted, but the prime suspect in her disappearance, a former boyfriend of Barbara's, is now deceased. Her case is considered open and unsolved.

Investigating Agency
  • Williston Police Department 701-577-1212
Source Information

Barbara Louise Cotton disappeared from Williston, N.D., on April 11, 1981. She was reportedly last seen walking towards her home after having dinner with her boyfriend and another friend. Barbara never arrived at her destination and has never been seen or heard from again. Her case is considered open and unsolved. Dakota Spotlight's podcast series, "A better search for Barbara" explores and investigates this cryptic cold case from the north-west corner of North Dakota.

Her friends recall that Barb was incredibly kind and giving. She was soft-spoken and yet not a pushover. She was petite, yet unafraid. Walking home along the streets of Williston in the northwest corner of North Dakota was something she had no problem doing by herself.

On the evening of April 11, 1981 she did just that. She was reportedly last seen five blocks from her house but never arrived. Barbara Cotton has never been heard from since that night.

According to the young man she had dinner with (a young man described by some as her "boyfriend"), she was last seen near or entering Recreation Park. The park is five blocks from where Barbara lived.

Much confusion surrounds the story of Barbara's disappearance and new questions continue to surface. Some of the most curious aspects of the mystery pertain to Barbara's last known whereabouts in downtown Williston on April 11, 1981. Versions of the events are both fuzzy and sometimes contradicting. "A Better Search for Barbara" attempts to untangle this peculiar evening and map out what might have actually occurred.

Barbara Cotton's missing person's case remains open and unsolved. No arrests have ever been made, but Dakota Spotlight Podcast uncovers never-before-heard details and reopens questions in the search for Barbara.
What happened to 15-year-old Barbara Louise Cotton, vanished from the streets of Williston 40 years ago? | Bemidji Pioneer

Listen to the Podcast, "A Better Search for Barbara" Episodes 1-5 at link. I’ve posted YouTube season five here.
Episode 5:

“I don’t ever remember of any search parties being brought together or organized or my mom ever speaking of them,” Nulph said.

Nulph says all she remembers is that officials at the time deemed Barbara a runaway.

“She wouldn’t have done that. She wouldn’t have done that to me. She wouldn’t have done it to Kent,” she said. “And as the days and weeks went on, I just had a strange feeling she was never coming home.”

40 years later, and she still hasn’t. But the search for answers still continues.

Williston Police Detective Danielle Hendricks has been following the case over the last year.

“We’re bringing new life into this case and really we just want to bring this case to the forefront of everybody in this community,” Hendricks said. “Any potential new leads that we can have, that we’ve already started to receive, can do nothing but benefit this investigation.”
‘I will always have that part hoping that she’s still alive’: Family still seeks answers 40 years after Williston teen goes missing | KX NEWS

Family of Babara Cotton celebrate her life 40 years after she went missing | KX NEWS

Today marks 40 years since a 15-year-old girl went missing just blocks away from her home in Williston.

Family and friends are still looking for answers involving the disappearance of Barbara Cotton, and in the midst of it all, they’ve decided to celebrate her life.

KX News attended the event at Recreation Park to learn more about who Cotton was before the 1981 tragedy.

Hello,

I found a 1982 UID in TX, a little outside the age range, but was found to have scoliosis and likely walked with a limp. And they had to estimate age based on partial remains.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Barbara's NAMUS profile no longer has the information about scoliosis and a limp , but it is still on the DOENETWORK page :

1DFND - Barbara Louise Cotton

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

What do you guys think, is it worth trying to submit?
Absolutely! I have a list of submissions I'd like to make and this one is on there

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChasF419
Back