48 Hours: Eleven Hundred Miles to Murder - 18 February 2017 at 10 p.m. ET/PT on CBS

I knew almost nothing about this case, having not followed it other than knowing a female doctor in FL was ambushed and murdered inside her own home.

So here are my thoughts:

I saw right away where 48 Hours was headed with this story. It's their big build-up to the eventual reveal that the husband was arrested and is facing LWOP or even the DP (which I don't think he'll get). They stretched it out because a trial has not been held yet so there's no verdict reveal.

Shows like this never get way into the details of the case against the perp. They touch on some of it, but not as in-depth as those who follow a case would want.

Obviously there was no reason for CWW or JR to murder a woman 1,100mi away -- the only way they profited was if someone gave them $$$ to do so. So right there one knows it was a murder for hire as there's no payout if someone hadn't hired them. And logical inference is, who would hire CWW and JR to do this? Who profits the most if the Dr. is killed? Not her staff, not disgruntled friends. Nope, the person who profits is the one who is the beneficiary of FOUR life insurance policies totaling $4M.

Here's the reality: the jury will be questioned in detail during voir dire. Those who admit to watching this show are more likely to be dismissed than someone who is not following or aware of this case. 48 Hours will not be on the witness stand. 48 Hours will not be shown to the jurors. A 42 minute TV show will not be evidence in the murder trial. The state will bring in all the evidence they can (and are allowed by the judge) to prove the charges. People's 'belief' in MS is not evidence that he didn't commit a crime. The evidence is circumstantial which tends to be most powerful.

In the end, if a decent jury is selected and that jury follows the rules of the court and only considers evidence that is presented to them in the trial, MS is going to prison for a very long time, possibly for life.

I knew almost nothing about this case, having not followed it other than knowing a female doctor in FL was ambushed and murdered inside her own home.

So here are my thoughts:

I saw right away where 48 Hours was headed with this story. It's their big build-up to the eventual reveal that the husband was arrested and is facing LWOP or even the DP (which I don't think he'll get). They stretched it out because a trial has not been held yet so there's no verdict reveal.

Shows like this never get way into the details of the case against the perp. They touch on some of it, but not as in-depth as those who follow a case would want.

Obviously there was no reason for CWW or JR to murder a woman 1,100mi away -- the only way they profited was if someone gave them $$$ to do so. So right there one knows it was a murder for hire as there's no payout if someone hadn't hired them. And logical inference is, who would hire CWW and JR to do this? Who profits the most if the Dr. is killed? Not her staff, not disgruntled friends. Nope, the person who profits is the one who is the beneficiary of FOUR life insurance policies totaling $4M.

Here's the reality: the jury will be questioned in detail during voir dire. Those who admit to watching this show are more likely to be dismissed than someone who is not following or aware of this case. 48 Hours will not be on the witness stand. 48 Hours will not be shown to the jurors. A 42 minute TV show will not be evidence in the murder trial. The state will bring in all the evidence they can (and are allowed by the judge) to prove the charges. People's 'belief' in MS is not evidence that he didn't commit a crime. The evidence is circumstantial which tends to be most powerful.

In the end, if a decent jury is selected and that jury follows the rules of the court and only considers evidence that is presented to them in the trial, MS is going to prison for a very long time, possibly for life.
Well said Madeleine!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I Tweeted Erin Moriarty last night and asked why the 48 hours episode was biased in favor of MS. She stated "Because as reporters we believe in innocent until proven guilty. There has not been a trial. I want to raise every possibility."

Despite the bias, I noticed the majority who posted on Twitter believe Mark was behind his wife's murder.

I get that because there has not been a trial the show is being very careful about revealing evidence against Mark which makes sense ig they want to avoid lawsuits. But to disparage the victim?

I believe once MS and JR are convicted or after the trial all their dirty little secrets will be revealed in books, TV shows, etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

"As reporters we believe innocent until proven guilty". BS! That's one thing; but when you don't research and expose the full version and come off as believing the victim deserved this......that's another thing. Eric sure did expose how horrible of a journalist she is and how gullible, stupid and brainwashed his family is.

Makes me wonder what "evidence" has been shared with them via Mummert that is "more than we know". I look forward to trial. I keep having to remind myself when I get angry about the obvious spin of the episode that they only heard the MS side. Nobody who is a material witness could or would participate lest they jeopardize the case so what was left was a very few MS cheerleaders, the defense, and a couple who had previous issues with both MS and TS and were unfortunately looked at as potential perps early on. I am sure that was very confusing, upsetting, and hurtful to them. Editing is a "b". What we ended up with was uneven coverage.

That's fine, the proof will be in the conviction. JMO.

LOL A "more than we know" will come out at trial. Why on earth would anyone wait until a trial to prove their innocence? If there are facts right now that prove innocence, charges would have been dropped (or not brought at all) and he'd have been released. That kind of vague promise of "more information" proving something reminds me of all the cases where a convicted murderer makes statements after sentencing. We've all seen interviews with murders who make comments like "I can prove to you that I'm 100% innocent!" and "I can now tell you and give you proof that so-and-so did it - I had nothing to do with it!" Yyyeaahhhh. Really. You wanted to sit in jail for months or years, and go through a trial because... why? Sometimes these comments are made immediately after conviction, sometimes they're made years later when they finally get a desperate person to agree to interview them for tv.

I can't imagine any scenario where I would be accused, arrested and charged with a crime that I didn't commit sitting in jail, and I had evidence and proof I didn't have anything to do with it, where I wouldn't be SCREAMING that evidence.

If the information exists now, why not broadcast, publish, provide and prove it now. That's a statement, not a question because if it existed he wouldn't be where he is.

Ridiculous.

Note: Yes, I am aware that innocent people get arrested and convicted.

I have not followed this case at all. I watched 48 hours and I have to say, regardless of their obvious bias, IMO, you have to be an idiot to think her husband is innocent.

Seriously, his lifelong friend just decided, out of the blue, to go kill his BFF's wife? Right. Obviously he was solicited and hubby made sure HE had an alibi.

For the record, I often find myself furious at 48 hours. They seem to really like the "innocent man, wrongly convicted (or in this case charged)" angle. They did a few years ago with Jeffrey MacDonald, baby killer, and it was obvious then that they only researched one side of that case. The wrong side.

So, just letting those of you that are passionate about this case, as I am about the MacDonald case,know that I really don't think their spin did any good.

Anyone with an ounce of common sense can put the pieces together here.

The now infamous "more than you know" comment by Moriarty has ticked us off here. Reminds me of "The More You Know" commercials.

Yeah, I won't be watching her in the future... never watched her much prior to Sievers case anyway.

The end. Complete waste of time, pointless and hurtful. I am so very sorry for Teresa's family.

-Nin
I finally just watched it. I kept looking at the clock and thought maybe this was a 2 part episode of "48 Hours" because of everything they did NOT cover. Really poorly done.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back