Still Missing Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 *Guilty* *Appeal* #29

Think I'll have to bow out of here for a while - a little too much sympathy and expectation of others to show sympathy and compassion for Garland. I find it distasteful and offensive. It's been nice getting to know some of you.

Cheers.
Stay, Dogmatica.
This happens sometimes when there is nothing new to discuss about the case.

This thread is to discuss the crime and trial and we veered off into other areas.

I think, if anyone wanted, we could take on the investigation of potential past victims of DG.

That would be a better value to our time, not that I don't enjoy the debate (you'll notice I tend to stay out if those convos though).

Imagine if we could bring closure to an unsolved or cold missing Albertan case......

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

I'm not sure if I can post this or not so take it as rumor - I have friends that are friends with the Linknes Family and one of the close family members posted that "they would like to shake the hands of those 4 guys"

Here's a lînk to the VIctim Impact Statements.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/garland-victim-impact-statements-1.3989495

The family is far too respectful and refined to advocate breaking the law through vigilante justice committed by anyone, but where are you seeing forgiveness in their words??? In speaking of God's punishment, that's exactly the opposite to forgiveness. That they recognize evil is their right.

I'm not sure if I can post this or not so take it as rumor - I have friends that are friends with the Linknes Family and one of the close family members posted that "they would like to shake the hands of those 4 guys"

Sure. How about a national holiday in their honour, good upstanding citizens and all that.

Bohden: Seven charges including breaking and entering, mischief, drug possession.
Richards: 13 charges, mostly domestic, including unlawful confinement, uttering death threats.
Skipper: Four charges including sexual assault, assault, uttering threats and drug possession.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/douglas-garland-remand-assault-charges-laid-court-1.3994162

Another rock in the puddle... If DG knew that he would get caught, would he have proceed with his murderous spree? I think not, therefore he had some sort of control over his actions..

Also the family member that was on the fb group left after calling a former member who was sympathetic to DG a name that rhymes witch.

Sure. How about a national holiday in their honour, good upstanding citizens and all that.

Bohden: Seven charges including breaking and entering, mischief, drug possession.
Richards: 13 charges, mostly domestic, including unlawful confinement, uttering death threats.
Skipper: Four charges including sexual assault, assault, uttering threats and drug possession.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/douglas-garland-remand-assault-charges-laid-court-1.3994162

See, this is why I just can not cheer about this event at all.

Why should these scumbags get to be the ones to mete out punishment? Wife beaters and rapists are who we're praising now?

We have legal systems for a reason, it's so the state along with juries of members of the public can decide punishment as appropriate. These disgusting 'men' should not be getting people's praise and admiration.

I have read - not sure how true - that the reason high profile murderers like DG get beat on is not always because the other criminals hate crimes against children. They absolutely do not have all so much honour! It's more that they hate how those guys bring a lot of attention, and often get special treatment, they have a name, sometimes the way things are done in the prison will change because of them. It's almost like cutting down a tall poppy - not so much because these prisoners, who have done vile, violent and disgusting things themselves - suddenly have a moral conscience only when it comes to children.

Sorry but I find this entire discussion disrespectful to Kathy, Alvin, Nathan and their families. This thread is about them, not how the Canadian Prison system operates and who is and isn't going to cry tears for DG.

We spent a great deal of time on this case, all of us. It's done. It's time to move on and not make this thread a travesty because that's where I see it heading.

I'm sure there are other forums on the internet where all of this can be discussed.

MOO

Remand Center - an overview (who we would find in the center) and issues re segregation.

This may be helpful.

Anyone in the remand center is: awaiting trial, an inmate who has been sentenced but facing further charges, a parolee whose parole has been suspended or revoked, an inmate awaiting transfer to a provincial or federal institution, a detainee being held under the federal Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.

As for segregation there are only 2 provisos:
There are two reasons why inmates would be isolated from other inmates, usually in a monitored empty cell.
1. Administrative Segregation: The inmate is considered to be a threat to self, others or the security of the institution.
2. Direct Observation IPC: Inmates who are at risk of hurting themselves or committing suicide are also isolated from other inmates. In this case, they would be closely monitored in “Intensive Psychiatric Care”. Segregation in Intensive Psychiatric Care is by psychiatrist referral only.

Administrative Segregation is according to the decision of an institutional parole officer, case management team and/ or correctional managers.

Some links for more on Alberta remand centers: https://www.calgaryjohnhoward.org/AdultServices/CFFIRP.pdf
http://www.avenuecalgary.com/August-2008/The-Trials-of-Remand/

Well, in fairness, if we are to feel sympathy/empathy/compassion for DG because of whatever mental health issues he might have, or whatever life circumstances shaped him into a triple murderer, I believe it's only fair we give these 4 the same benefit of the doubt. We have not walked a mile in their shoes, who knows what might have driven them to their crimes or to commit this assault on DG?
I hope they will one day be rehabilitated. We can't look at them as monsters.

Imho

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Another rock in the puddle... If DG knew that he would get caught, would he have proceed with his murderous spree? I think not, therefore he had some sort of control over his actions..
I have thought about this too naz. I've wondered if he weighed it and analyzed it and took a calculated risk anyway after deciding it would be worth it. Or did he just not think it could happen (being caught)?
Hmmm.

I have thought about this too naz. I've wondered if he weighed it and analyzed it and took a calculated risk anyway after deciding it would be worth it. Or did he just not think it could happen (being caught)?
Hmmm.

Both ? he was careful, cunning and consumed. I can't help thinking he would have take satisfaction in playing cat and mouse with the police and family had he not been caught..

I was also thinking. Maybe because of Nathan we have a arrest and conviction Maybe the LE wouldn't have been so on top of things without a 5 year old missing. Maybe they would have dismissed it as a domestic or something. I know it's reaching. Just want some sort or sense of all this loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been grasping at a similar thought as well... That Nathan is, in a way a superhero that led LE on the trail to get the bad guy caught (especially if it turns out Garland might have any more victims or was a serial-type killer) as the case would've been handled completely different without Nathan there. Even though I wish so bad he wasn't there, and I know it sounds hokey, but like you, I keep thinking that to make sense of it...

Hmmm.

Yep, he had an hour and a half in that house to decide to walk away and maybe let them live or follow through with his plan. An hour and a half is a long time, especially with a child wounded and maybe screaming, crying, begging, etc. I think he was arrogant enough to think he wouldn't get caught because he thought his plan and clean up (DNA) was perfect.

Yep, he had an hour and a half in that house to decide to walk away and maybe let them live or follow through with his plan. An hour and a half is a long time, especially with a child wounded and maybe screaming, crying, begging, etc. I think he was arrogant enough to think he wouldn't get caught because he thought his plan and clean up (DNA) was perfect.
Good thing he wasn't as smart as he thought he was

I believe mental illness (i.e.: schizophrenia) is different from the criminal personality/personality disorders (i.e.: sadistic violent socio/psychopath types). I do not think DG suffers from a clinical mental illness, maybe some OCD which many people have. Psychopaths are also CEOs of corporations but not violent.

DG was a criminal most of his life, he liked it, he got better at it and wanted to push/test his limits. He was angry, obsessed and wanted the final say. If just revenge, he could've gotten AL alone and used a gun execution style, but he went into a grotesque territory because he wanted to, he enjoyed it and got satisfaction this way. This is all just my opinion of what kind of person he is.

I believe mental illness (i.e.: schizophrenia) is different from the criminal personality/personality disorders (i.e.: sadistic violent socio/psychopath types). I do not think DG suffers from a clinical mental illness, maybe some OCD which many people have. Psychopaths are also CEOs of corporations but not violent.

DG was a criminal most of his life, he liked it, he got better at it and wanted to push/test his limits. He was angry, obsessed and wanted the final say. If just revenge, he could've gotten AL alone and used a gun execution style, but he went into a grotesque territory because he wanted to, he enjoyed it and got satisfaction this way. This is all just my opinion of what kind of person he is.
Y

Yes very big difference between Vance Li, ( I guess he changed his name ) schizophrenic, no planning, no trying to hide, feels remorse, takes his medication. I still feel for the mother of young Tim McClain.

And DG who plotted and studied, got high on gore.. planning the perfect murder.

Vance Li was the greyhound killer who murdered a young passenger.

Y

Yes very big difference between Vance Li, ( I guess he changed his name ) schizophrenic, no planning, no trying to hide, feels remorse, takes his medication. I still feel for the mother of young Tim McClain.

And DG who plotted and studied, got high on gore.. planning the perfect murder.

Vance Li was the greyhound killer who murdered a young passenger.

Less than 3 months prior to Garland's evil deeds, Calgary also mourned a very tragic mass killing. De Grood's trial occurred May, 2016 and based on psychiatric testimony, he was found NCR.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/matthew-degrood-brentwood-stabbing-murder-trial-1.3580058

Why does Canada have such shocking crimes? Maybe I read to much USA news being on WS. But when we have something happen it's always over the top.
Bernardo.
Vance Li
Garland
De Grood
Mcaffery
I know I'm missing so many. The young mom and her beautiful daughter and elderly person who were all slaughtered? Forget that name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304
Back