WA - Unidentified Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they both need to be submitted. Frank Nash looks a lot like Lyle.

Well, it sounds like they don't really know why he left home in the first place, so who knows what he was doing?
I know just curiosity but you know what they say about that....lol. :/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Just a side comment from a fellow websleuths who manages a hotel: it is quite sad, but many people choose hotels to commit suicide b/c they know their friends/family won't be the person to find their body. It is quite a common idea for many suicidal people. Can't tell you how many lonely people there are out there in the world. I have no clue who Lyle could really be, but I suspect perhaps he was running away from an alternative lifestyle.

Is there anyone here who has a relationship with anyone on the case? If not, I can submit it, but if someone has corresponded with the caseworkers perhaps they should do it?

I do find it very weird Franks pictures are all gone...did he destroy them? Take them with him? Why did he head on west? So many questions. He is at the upper end of the age spectrum, and the drawn picture doesn't really give a good idea of complexion, but I do see a strong resemblance. I spent most of the day in bed with a sick kiddo so I literally went through every possible male on findthemissing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So if no one is already in correspondence with the case workers, I will submit Frank!

And sorry for the back to back posts, but any tips for wording it so I don't come across as a crazy stay at home mom would be greatly appreciated [emoji23][emoji23]

http://www.nampn.org/cases/manizak_thomas.html

I really like Thomas as a match b/c his last name is very Russian like the fake last name Lyle used. pretty close to the vitals, too. Missing from Oregon in 1999.

English name + Russian Surname.

Showing the last name Manizak is a popular name in Alaska. Stevik is also a popular name in Alaska.

Sorry if he has already been submitted as a possible.

Maybe he laundered his clothing at a laundomat nearby. My guests do it quite often. Could be something worth looking into...

Also, he might have intentionally made sure his clothing was clean before killing himself to make himself, in his mind, more acceptable when found. I know it sounds strange, but his thought process might been one of "Well if the poor housekeeper is going to find my body I don't want to be in too bad of shape". Or just in general not wanting to look unkept once his body was found. He did have enough thought to leave money for the hotel room which shows he was trying to be considerate even when committing suicide.

Wow, we have a new thread? Already?

I agree with SeriouslySearching...I think this last picture was taken in more "natural" lighting, maybe even near a window(and, for anyone who hasn't looked, it isn't as sad of a picture as I thought it might be, even though it does show the belt around his neck). Lighting can have a tremendous effect on color, especially when it comes to hair. My own hair color is much lighter than my avatar makes it look, for instance, because I took that picture in low light - we've probably been seeing the same effect with most of Lyle's pictures.

Caucasian "black" hair is almost always really just a very dark brown(and I agree that he looks more like an "ethnic" Caucasian than like a Native American, but wouldn't rule the latter out by any means) - it only looks black because of its great contrast against the color of the person's skin. Whatever race Lyle was, he seems to have had relatively pale skin, and this new picture makes it look like it might have stayed that way even after sun exposure.

Considering the weather, and whether or not it's coat weather...I don't know. To me, it's only coat weather if I'm going to be outside for a long time(and even then, any "coat" worn would basically just be a regular long-sleeve shirt). And he was a man; men don't seem to get cold as easily as most women.

He must have been some kind of magician to make his clothes appear clean even after(apparently) wearing them for such a long time...I have thought about this several times, and all I can think of is that he must have washed them every day and then put them back on(that'd wear them out very quickly, though). His clothes could be another argument in favor of him having had a backpack with him at some point.

http://www.nampn.org/cases/edberg_nathan.html

Nathan disappeared after his parents divorced and girlfriend broke up with him. Makes me wonder if he ran away and eventually committed suicide.

Vitals are kind of close. His weight is much more than Lyle, but Lyle was said to have lost much weight before death. also he is said to have holes in his ears where there were piercings and I don't remember Lyle having that info in his file. So that is a discrepancy.

So far I like Thomas Manizak the most.

Just curious if you have had delt with guests who have committed suicide at hotels you've worked at before? If so I have some questions I am kinda curious about :)

ETA: I guess I forgot to hit reply to quote the previous post, but this was directed to Daisychains.

Yah I know when I lose weight I just eat more but I'm still trying to get back in to shape

Just curious if you have had delt with guests who have committed suicide at hotels you've worked at before? If so I have some questions I am kinda curious about :)

ETA: I guess I forgot to hit reply to quote the previous post, but this was directed to Daisychains.

Hi Babyslims! :seeya:

It has never happened during my shift so I never have experienced the protocol of what to do when it does thank goodness. I know many of my coworkers who have been in the industry longer and have worked at budget motels have experienced being on property when a body was found in a room (whether suicide or not). Typically it is the housekeepers that find the body. I've only managed upscale boutique hotels so my clientele are usually couples and well to do business travelers. Not many of those folks are at risk for being down and out to the point of suicidal.

I had one scare when my housekeeper came to me concerned and said that she knocked on the guests door many times even though he was in his room with no response. He had his clean me sign up so she had to get in it. He was passed out so hard on the bed she thought he was dead. I literally had to go to his room and wake him up to make sure he was alive. lol poor Lucy was so worried that day!

I will say that I am sure many hotels try to keep it mum when a body is found so they don't lose future guests who are scared to stay in the room that "the person died in". Not so good for business.

Oh okay, thank you for the response. I was just kinda curious if people usually use an alias or if they usually come from out of state to do their thing....

I just wanted to make a note that I reached out to the case manager Lori Bruski this morning about comparing him to Frank Nash. Will update if/when there is any response.

Also, if anyone could help me understand something better about cases where DNA is available I would greatly appreciate it...if DNA is available and it says tests complete, does that mean it's already been compared to all the DNA in the database?

ETA: could someone more knowledgeable let me know if I contacted the correct person? Or if I should also contact the other agency's involved? I do know from Carbuffs helpful link if I do contact the other agencies I need to inform them I have contacted the other ones as well.

Oh okay, thank you for the response. I was just kinda curious if people usually use an alias or if they usually come from out of state to do their thing....

They usually do it in budget motels b/c of being on a travel budget as well as being able to actually use a fake name at a budget motel. Nicer motels/hotels typically require a credit card on file which would mean the guest would have to provide their real name. Budget motels? Pay upfront in cash and give them a fake name - and cheaper! Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy. As far as in state or out of state - probably just depends upon the person. I would think a good number from out of state - but that's JMO on that specifically.

I just wanted to make a note that I reached out to the case manager Lori Bruski this morning about comparing him to Frank Nash. Will update if/when there is any response.

Also, if anyone could help me understand something better about cases where DNA is available I would greatly appreciate it...if DNA is available and it says tests complete, does that mean it's already been compared to all the DNA in the database?

ETA: could someone more knowledgeable let me know if I contacted the correct person? Or if I should also contact the other agency's involved? I do know from Carbuffs helpful link if I do contact the other agencies I need to inform them I have contacted the other ones as well.

Hiya Dogface!

It always helps to also contact the lead coroner investigator where the remains/case is held.

Contacts: (http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/233umwa.html)

Agency Name: Grays Harbor County Coroner's Office
Agency Contact Person: Lane Youmans
Agency Phone Number: 360-532-2322
Agency E-Mail: N/A
Agency Case Number: 01-238
Agency Name: Grays Harbor County Sheriff's Office
Agency Contact Person: Steve Shumate
Agency Phone Number: 360-249-6070 x568
Agency E-Mail: sshumate(at)co.grays-harbor.wa.us
Agency Case Number: 01-7870

Lane's email is:

lyoumans@co.grays-harbor.wa.us