Australia - Shandee Blackburn, 23, murdered, Mackay, Qld, 9 Feb 2013

Shandee's accused murderer photographed at her memorial

Boxer John Peros, in a 2012 Daily Mercury photo as he trained ahead of national titles, has been arrested for the murder of Shandee Blackburn.Lee Constable
http://m.dailymercury.com.au/news/mackay-man-charged-murder-shandee-blackburn/2375497/#/0
5312a4c85fcd201834eaaf8e1d9b594e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toyota expert giving evidence at Shandee Blackburn murder committal. Talking about features of white ute seen in CCTV vision. @abcnews 10.05am
[video=twitter;699383952386035712]https://twitter.com/jonathanhair/status/699383952386035712[/video]

This is important as the CCTV did not identify the driver or the rego. The car however did have unusual features summed-up in the ABC link above and now I guess the car expert in court.

would have taken at least 11 seconds’
16th February 2016 3:30 PM

Biomechanics engineer Dr Zach Cooper was questioned in Mackay Magistrates Court today by telephone by defence barrister Craig Eberhardt in relation to the 22 stab wounds found on Ms Blackburn's body.* *

Mr Eberhardt asked whether the 40-second time gap, in which a running figure captured by CCTV footage was out of frame, would be sufficient time for a person to deliver 22 blows.* *
Dr Cooper responded that a single blow would take 150 milliseconds to deliver, but the overall cycle time was half a second.* *
Dr Cooper told the court he concluded the attack would have taken at least 11 seconds.* *
Mr Eberhardt asked whether a struggle could increase that time, and Dr Cooper answered yes.* *

A TOYOTA expert, a former friend of the accused, a used car dealer, and a biomechanics expert have given evidence so far in day two of John Peros' committal hearing.* *
The 34-year-old is charged with the murder of 23-year-old Shandee Blackburn late on the night of February 8, 2013.* *
Biomechanics engineer Dr Zach Cooper was questioned in Mackay Magistrates Court today by telephone by defence barrister Craig Eberhardt in relation to the 22 stab wounds found
Mr Eberhardt asked whether the 40-second time gap, in which a running figure captured by CCTV footage was out of frame, would be sufficient time for a person to deliver 22 blows.* *
Dr Cooper responded that a single blow would take 150 milliseconds to deliver, but the overall cycle time was half a second.* *
Dr Cooper told the court he concluded the attack would have taken at least 11 seconds.* *
Mr Eberhardt asked whether a struggle could increase that time, and Dr Cooper answered yes.* *
Dr Cooper said Ms Blackburn received stabs to her head, neck, left arm, right breast, and the rear of her right armpit.*
He told the court bruising on Ms Blackburn's right hand suggested she had been restrained by the attacker's left hand and stabbed by his right.* *

http://m.dailymercury.com.au/news/shandees-attack-would-have-taken-least-11-seconds/2933373/

A witness to the attack on #Shandee Blackburn says he saw 2 ppl fighting.Says he knew something was wrong when he saw her on the ground
[video=twitter;699758204062867456]https://twitter.com/meljmaddison/status/699758204062867456[/video]
Melissa Maddison ABC Mackay 5 hrs ago

My comment here; I didn't know there WAS a witness to the attack. Moo

William Daniel stared down Peros throughout evidence and muttered ' I remember your face' on way out of court. @abcnews 2.41pm

Peros then stood to look down on Mr Daniel as he was taken to watch house. Ordered by Magistrate to sit back down. @abcnews 2.45pm
William Daniel convicted of contempt after muttering 'I'll remember your face' to John Peros in Shandee Blackburn murder committal. @abcnews 4.14pm
[video=twitter;700201701937061888]https://twitter.com/jonathanhair/status/700201701937061888[/video]

Toys donated to women's refuge in memory of alleged murder victim Shandee Blackburn

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-13/toys-donated-to-womens-shelter-in-memory-of-shandee-blackburn/8116918

However many times Vicki Blackburn and her family moved houses or towns, her daughter Shandee Blackburn insisted she keep her polished, wooden toy box.

"She never liked throwing anything out, so every move we had to take the toy box," Mrs Blackburn said.

"When she died, it was empty, but it wasn't to be thrown out, it was to be kept.

"Going through Shandee's stuff ... I've had the toy box there and keep looking and it and thinking, 'Well what can I do?'"

Almost four years on, Mrs Blackburn has found a purpose for one of her daughters favourite possessions.

The wooden box, named Shandee's Toy Box, is being used to collect toys for Samaritan House, Mackay's women's refuge.

"I know Shandee would be absolutely thrilled to see her little toy box — Mum didn't throw it out after all, Mum's using it for something good," she said.

John Peros has been charged with murder and committed to stand trial in 2017 over Shandee Blackburn's death.

Yes,Mackay has a toy library for parents. The toys are wonderful and great for kids because they are the toys some can't afford. You know the likes.... This is a way to give back but it will never take away her childhood and her gumption to her killer. Mum might be feeling better but a daughter slain is not your guilt free ride to life. She needed you. Why couldn't you pick her up from work?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Sorry AussieEve. My point is if as a lady you have a late ending time, please get picked up by family or take a taxi. I once lived near Shandee's home. I was lucky because I drove. I have a daughter that always has emergency money for a taxi. My point is never here or there. What happened was not Shandee's fault.
Justice for SHANDEE!

The trial is currently underway.

Shandee Blackburn murder: Accused killer wrote letter '30 Things About Shandee I Don't Like', court told

In his opening statement to the Supreme Court in Mackay, prosecutor Joshua Phillips said Ms Blackburn was brutally murdered.

"She was stabbed 23 to 25 times to her head, arms and chest, she had her voice box cut — there was no opportunity for her [to call for help]," he said.

"Neighbours came to her aid when they heard her gasping for air but couldn't save her as she laid there."

He said Peros and Ms Blackburn had ended their relationship some time in the beginning of 2012 and in March he wrote a list titled "30 Things I Don't Like About Shandee".

Justice Jim Henry warned the jury they should put emotion aside while reading through the list and that during a break-up people say harsh things.

Defence barrister Craig Eberhardt said the Crown's case against Peros was entirely circumstantial and there was no evidence linking him to Ms Blackburn's murder.

"There is not a shred that directly proves, that directly shows or demonstrates, that Mr Peros had anything with this killing," Mr Eberhardt said.

Shandee Blackburn murder trial: Neighbour tells how victim crawled for help

Ringo Tapim said he saw from his balcony Ms Blackburn collapse.

He told the court he had been watching a movie about midnight on February 8, 2013, when he heard “coughing, gagging” from outside the unit.

“You hear a lot of stuff on the street, but after the second cough I got up,” he said.

He told the court he saw a woman in the darkness hunched over and clutching her stomach.

“That’s when I knew something was wrong. At first I though she had been punched in the stomach or something,” Mr Tapim, who called 000, said.

“I called to her. I got as close to her as I could ... it was a bit freaky then, because she was crawling,” he said. “She was crawling up on to the gutter.”

Mr Tapim said he told the paramedic “there was a lot of blood coming from under her”.

Shandee Blackburn murder trial: Victim’s skull cut in fierce stabbing, court told

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/shandee-blackburn-murder-trial-victims-skull-cut-in-fierce-stabbing-court-told/news-story/1d8f76212e888acb725c1f285a3fe8fd

One of the dozens of stab wounds that Mackay woman Shandee Blackburn received was delivered with such ferocity that it cut out a small piece of her skull.

Forensic pathologist Professor David Williams told the Supreme Court trial of John Peros that such an injury would take “severe force”.

Prof Williams told the court the stab wound, to the right side of her forehead, was one of three main wounds that contributed to Ms Blackburn’s death.

Men deny Shandee's death a failed robbery attempt

https://www.dailymercury.com.au/news/men-deny-shandees-death-a-failed-robbery-attempt/3161749/

William Daniel and Norman Dorante have denied any involvement in the stabbing death of Shandee Blackburn.

Both men appeared in the Supreme Court in Mackay as witnesses for the prosecution in the trial of John Peros for the murder of Ms Blackburn on February 9, 2013.

Crown prosecutor Joshua Phillips asked Mr Daniel if he had known Ms Blackburn or had had any involvement in her death and he replied no.

Under cross examination, Mr Daniel said the first he had learned of the murder was when he had woken up the following morning and there had been police everywhere at the bottom of Boddington St.

Mr Daniel admitted that in 2013 he had been involved in home invasions and often carried knives, and that he had previously told police the only time he didn't carry knives was in the shower.

He said under cross examination on Friday that carrying knifes was just a "habit".

But Mr Eberhardt accused Mr Daniel of trying to rob Ms Blackburn on the night of her death.

"You robbed her, didn't you? You took her white bag from her, when she fought back you stabbed her, didn't you? Then you kept stabbing her while you were trying to take her bag, didn't you? Then you left her for dead, didn't you Mr Daniel?," Mr Eberhardt said.

Mr Daniel denied all of the allegations.

Mr Dorante also denied any involvement and said that on the night of the death of Ms Blackburn he had been asleep on the couch (at James St) and had been asleep for several days. He explained that he had been addicted to speed in 2013 and would stay awake for days and then sleep for days.

Text about Shandee's death 'a joke', witness tells court

https://www.dailymercury.com.au/news/text-about-shandees-death-a-joke-witness-tells-cou/3162621/

During the trial of John Peros, accused of murdering the 23-year-old Mackay woman on February 9, 2013, Crown witness Rachael Ratahi said she had text messaged her then partner Norman Dorante soon after hearing about Ms Blackburn's death, cautioning him to stay safe while walking the street at night.

"You texted him saying he shouldn't be walking around at night because it wasn't safe?" Defence barrister Craig Eberhardt asked Ms Ratahi during cross-examination in the Supreme Court in Mackay on Monday.

"And you were referring to the recent death of Shandee Blackburn? And Norman replied 'I'm all good, as I'm the one who killed her'?"

Ms Ratahi conceded Mr Dorante did send the text, but said she thought the comment was linked to his "very dry sense of humour" and it was simply "a joke".

"You weren't with him when he was sent that text? You couldn't see what his facial expression was? And you weren't with him on the night Shandee was killed?" Mr Eberhardt continued.

"No", replied Ms Ratahi.

A Queensland Police investigating officer, Crown witness Detective Sergeant Lisa Elkins, was also cross-examined by Mr Eberhardt about the investigation into Ms Blackburn's death.

Mr Eberhardt asked whether police had ever checked whether Peros, aged 31, had a "history of domestic violence call-outs". Det Sgt Elkins confirmed there had been none.

Mr Eberhardt asked if three kitchen knives had been missing from a knife block, at William Daniel's address, which had been seized after information was provided to police. He also asked if the house was "not searched at any time approximate to the murder". Det Sgt Elkins said "that's right".

The court also heard during Det Sgt Elkins' cross-examination that hair samples found on Ms Blackburn's body had not been compared with anyone but Mr Peros.

Mr Eberhardt also put it to Det Sgt Elkins that prosecution witness taxi driver Jaspreet Pandher (who earlier testified he had seen a person running in the area) had not identified John Peros "as being in any way involved in the murder".

Det Sgt Elkins said Mr Pandher had "reiterated that he didn't see the person's face".

Judge's unusual move in Mackay murder trial

https://www.dailymercury.com.au/news/judges-unusual-move-in-mackay-murder-trial/3163097/

Justice James Henry, who is presiding over the trial of John Peros for the murder of Shandee Blackburn, called Levi Blackman to testify in the Supreme Court in Mackay on Tuesday, after Crown prosecutors refused to put him in the witness box.

Usually witnesses are called by the prosecution and defence but Justice Henry intervened, believing the jury should hear Mr Blackman's testimony.

"You heard yesterday (Monday) afternoon the prosecutor had closed his case ... the next day we call upon the charged citizen to ascertain whether or not the defence intend to go to evidence or not,” he said.

"Something has to occur before that. It is necessary that I now take the rare step of calling a witness.

The court was told on Tuesday that Mr Blackman had already made several statements to police and provided testimony to courts and the Crime and Corruption Commission Queensland. It also was told that after implicating his friends William Daniel and Norman Dorante in Ms Blackburn's February 9, 2013 death, Mr Blackman had repeatedly back-flipped on details.

Under questioning by defence barrister Craig Eberhardt, Mr Blackman said he had repeatedly lied about Mr Daniel and Mr Dorante having told him, on the day Shandee Blackburn was killed in Boddington St, Mackay, that they had been responsible for her death

Mr Blackman said he initially had been pressured by police who had threatened him with "black magic” if he didn't provide them with information.

Mr Eberhardt asked Mr Blackman if he had been lying when he told police William Daniel had made an admission to killing Ms Blackburn during a bedroom discussion over noodles.

Mr Blackman said he had been telling the truth, but had considered Mr Daniel to be joking, or not being serious.

Why slain Shandee must have known her attacker: prosecution

https://www.dailymercury.com.au/news/shandee-knew-her-attacker-jury-told/3163552/

A Prosecutor has told a Supreme Court jury his circumstantial case is enough to convict John Peros of the murder of his former girlfriend Shandee Blackburn.

However, Mr Peros' defence barrister, Craig Eberhardt said in his closing address "it was a violent robbery committed by a methamphetamine addict who used force" because Ms Blackburn fought back.

On Wednesday, in his closing address, Crown prosecutor Joshua Phillips revisited evidence presented since the trial began on March 20.

He told the court his case centres on two pieces of circumstantial evidence.

Mr Phillips said it included comments witnesses Nicole Hutchinson and Charlene Perry and Liam Aleman, testified Mr Peros made at an Australia Day 2013 gathering about wanting to kill Ms Blackburn.

He said it was two weeks after the comments were made that Ms Blackburn had been stabbed to death in Boddington Street, Mackay.

Additionally, Mr Phillips told the jury the white dual cab Toyota HiLux ute Mr Peros owned at the time had been spotted in nearby streets around the time of Ms Blackburn's death.

Mr Phillips said the defence would suggest Ms Blackburn's death was the result of a "robbery gone wrong", a "fried meth-head mugger that's off his chops".

But Mr Phillips said the ferocity of the attack, in which Ms Blackburn was stabbed more than 20 times, and the fact she didn't call out for help, indicated she either knew her attacker or was disabled immediately.

In reply, defence barrister Craig Eberhardt told the jury the prosecution was "cherry-picking" evidence.

Mr Eberhardt said Mr Peros was "left handed, had no criminal history" and had "no history of domestic violence with Shandee or anyone else".

The jury was told forensic examinations excluded Mr Peros from DNA found on Ms Blackburn's body and showed Ms Blackburn's killer was likely right-handed.

"There is no evidence that he was out and about on the evening ... no eyewitnesses, no video footage, no telephone records. No evidence he came back to his place in the early hours of the morning," Mr Eberhardt said.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...n/news-story/caf052bd65571cd0dd9285b65d728804

The mother of Mackay murder victim Shandee Blackburn has spoken for the first time since her accused killer was found not guilty last month.

Vicki Blackburn paid tribute to her 23-year-old daughter at the Queensland Homicide Victims Support Group Awareness Day in Brisbane on Thursday...

“Tears and utter desolation are a mere thought or moment away. Let no one have any doubts. We have been, we are and will be impacted every single day... And we have to deal with that impact in some way each and every day for as long as we live. It does not go away, it will not go away.”

[video=twitter;850222905401122817]https://twitter.com/abcnewsbrisbane/status/850222905401122817[/video]

Not guilty

Sadly, the not guilty verdict wasn't surprising. I wonder if they will continue their investigation or if they are satisfied with closing the case. By satisfied I mean that even though they couldn't prove it, they firmly believe that John Peros was responsible for Shandee's murder.

Love and peace to Shandee's family and friends. Nothing is certain in life. This conviction and the terrible loss of Shandee is proof. I will never understand the violence she endured.. 20 wounds and no conviction. Rest in peace Shandee. You were not a dole bludger and worked. Even going to work knowing you didn't have a lift home. Does Mackay CID need more funding? I don't know. Rest in peace. Flinders *advertiser censored*

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back