Airline Pilot Wife Die From Opioid Overdose/Children Find Parents Call 911

In this country drug abuse only becomes a talking point when it affects middle-class people.

So the mother was a known drug addict for the past 7 years?! Is that not enough for someone's children to be taken from them?

I don't have the answers to stopping overdoses, or the use of heroine. Obviously it being illegal hasn't stopped the use. Obviously it being illegal hasn't stopped the dealers. At the current rate of overdoses and deaths, the dealers are going to be out of clients. I don't even know that I believe we should be handing out the antidote. I'm just about this (__) close to saying they are choosing their own fate, and let stupidity take it's toll. I know that's not the way I want to feel, because of the devastation to the families left behind. Yet we have people committing suicide daily, and what's being done to help prevent that? Have there been more mental hospitals opened? Nope, more closed down! Has there been easier access to mental health? Nope. Has there been better understand of mental health in the ER? Nope, not that I've witnessed on a personal basis with several different people. You do NOT try to shame or embarrass to make a panic attack stop! You're compounded the issue, yet that's EXACTLY what I've seen happen IN TWO local ER's in the past year! UNACCEPTABLE!!!

My point being, mental illness is not a choice. Being an addict is.

Being an addict, and the illegal use of even prescription meds is also making it extremely difficult for chronic pain patients to seek, and acquire proper and legal medical care. While pain is subjective, there are ways a legitimate doctor can and does diagnosis, and treat a chronic pain patient. Their level of pain is subjective to that person, but the diagnosis of a physical ailment is not.

There's some possible advancements being made within pain management. One is a company called PROVE. Using a person's DNA, PROVE is attempting to be able to test a person's DNA and give a list of possible meds that would work for that patient, meds that wouldn't work, and give a risk factor for whether the patient has the potential to become an addict from legal prescription use. At this point, I am not positive that PROVE has definitely got their testing and rests 100% accurate. I do know that I have submitted my DNA and have gotten the results. My pain management doctor was shocked, and isn't sure he completely is on board with the results, and the accuracy of the testing, but believes it's a good starting point. He did state that if the results are accurate, he understands why I have continously stated that I get very little to no pain relief from narcotics, why I can take a narcotic and have a urine test, and it not show up in my urine as my body is not metabolizing the meds correctly, and why interestingly enough, my father has the same problems with chronic pain with no relief. I do NOT get a 'high' feeling from any narcotic that I've taken, and I have been prescribed just about them all, though fentanyl is one I do not want to even attempt. ONE patch was placed on my father, and he was dead within 24hrs. though he was in heart failure at the time, and it was placed as a hospice case with my father's last wishes to his physician to have one day without pain, even if that meant death.

At any rate, perhaps it's only my frame of mind today, but I don't have much sympathy for an addict to chooses to take illegal drugs knowing they have children. I realize many addicts probably have a mental health issue and start out self medicating. I can understand wanting to feel a numbness. I can understand depression. I can understand anxiety. I just don't understand taking a drug that you know has the potential of killing you, just for a high. I don't get it!

So the mother was a known drug addict for the past 7 years?! Is that not enough for someone's children to be taken from them?

Apparently not if you have money.

Retired firefighter and paramedic here. This is incredibly sad, but it is a daily occurrence, and one that knows no boundaries. Age, race, sex, class, does not matter. I have worked in the one of the most dangerous cities in the state, and one of the richest towns. My most memorable OD was a 17 year old who had driven halfway across the state in her brand new BMW and had sex with her dealer to pay for heroin. She was deceased in his bed come morning, and was far past any attempt at resuscitation. Her parents had no clue, thought she was in bed, and never had an inkling that their beautiful honor-student daughter was an IV drug user. She was injecting in some mighty creative spots, but NOT her arms.

I don't have an answer. I wish I did.

Retired firefighter and paramedic here. This is incredibly sad, but it is a daily occurrence, and one that knows no boundaries. Age, race, sex, class, does not matter. I have worked in the one of the most dangerous cities in the state, and one of the richest towns. My most memorable OD was a 17 year old who had driven halfway across the state in her brand new BMW and had sex with her dealer to pay for heroin. She was deceased in his bed come morning, and was far past any attempt at resuscitation. Her parents had no clue, thought she was in bed, and never had an inkling that their beautiful honor-student daughter was an IV drug user. She was injecting in some mighty creative spots, but NOT her arms.

I don't have an answer. I wish I did.

First and foremost, the border needs to be secured--it has not been secure for decades.

I don't have the answers to stopping overdoses, or the use of heroine. Obviously it being illegal hasn't stopped the use. Obviously it being illegal hasn't stopped the dealers. At the current rate of overdoses and deaths, the dealers are going to be out of clients. I don't even know that I believe we should be handing out the antidote. I'm just about this (__) close to saying they are choosing their own fate, and let stupidity take it's toll. I know that's not the way I want to feel, because of the devastation to the families left behind. Yet we have people committing suicide daily, and what's being done to help prevent that? Have there been more mental hospitals opened? Nope, more closed down! Has there been easier access to mental health? Nope. Has there been better understand of mental health in the ER? Nope, not that I've witnessed on a personal basis with several different people.

BBM - not sure I agree that being an addict is a choice, but taking the drug in the first place is imo.

I do agree you have a good point in the correct action now might be do nothing as stupidity will win eventually. No one else has a better solution at the moment imo.

It takes a lot of resources to help one addict - and only if they want the help to begin with. Results are iffy even then.

More money will have to be spent for child services when parents OD and kill themselves at this rate - these children may or may not be better off as a result - a crap shoot at best. Predators are standing by waiting for the kids to show up.
More money will also have to be spent to bury/cremate many of the dead addicts - they may go unidentified or family may not show up to claim them due to the circumstances.

Hopefully this is offset with LE requiring less money to find the drugs - let the drugs do the job for them?

Either way addiction costs the taxpayer big time - where to spend it seems to be the question. Jmo.

I don't have the answers to stopping overdoses, or the use of heroine. Obviously it being illegal hasn't stopped the use. Obviously it being illegal hasn't stopped the dealers. At the current rate of overdoses and deaths, the dealers are going to be out of clients. I don't even know that I believe we should be handing out the antidote. I'm just about this (__) close to saying they are choosing their own fate, and let stupidity take it's toll. I know that's not the way I want to feel, because of the devastation to the families left behind. Yet we have people committing suicide daily, and what's being done to help prevent that? Have there been more mental hospitals opened? Nope, more closed down! Has there been easier access to mental health? Nope. Has there been better understand of mental health in the ER? Nope, not that I've witnessed on a personal basis with several different people. You do NOT try to shame or embarrass to make a panic attack stop! You're compounded the issue, yet that's EXACTLY what I've seen happen IN TWO local ER's in the past year! UNACCEPTABLE!!!

Being an addict, and the illegal use of even prescription meds is also making it extremely difficult for chronic pain patients to seek, and acquire proper and legal medical care. While pain is subjective, there are ways a legitimate doctor can and does diagnosis, and treat a chronic pain patient. Their level of pain is subjective to that person, but the diagnosis of a physical ailment is not.

There's some possible advancements being made within pain management. One is a company called PROVE. Using a person's DNA, PROVE is attempting to be able to test a person's DNA and give a list of possible meds that would work for that patient, meds that wouldn't work, and give a risk factor for whether the patient has the potential to become an addict from legal prescription use. At this point, I am not positive that PROVE has definitely got their testing and rests 100% accurate. I do know that I have submitted my DNA and have gotten the results. My pain management doctor was shocked, and isn't sure he completely is on board with the results, and the accuracy of the testing, but believes it's a good starting point. He did state that if the results are accurate, he understands why I have continously stated that I get very little to no pain relief from narcotics, why I can take a narcotic and have a urine test, and it not show up in my urine as my body is not metabolizing the meds correctly, and why interestingly enough, my father has the same problems with chronic pain with no relief. I do NOT get a 'high' feeling from any narcotic that I've taken, and I have been prescribed just about them all, though fentanyl is one I do not want to even attempt. ONE patch was placed on my father, and he was dead within 24hrs. though he was in heart failure at the time, and it was placed as a hospice case with my father's last wishes to his physician to have one day without pain, even if that meant death.

At any rate, perhaps it's only my frame of mind today, but I don't have much sympathy for an addict to chooses to take illegal drugs knowing they have children. I realize many addicts probably have a mental health issue and start out self medicating. I can understand wanting to feel a numbness. I can understand depression. I can understand anxiety. I just don't understand taking a drug that you know has the potential of killing you, just for a high. I don't get it!

Having relatives with Mental illness I concur with you. I have had long lonely fights to help them, no one seems to care, the resources are not there and it is a very difficult thing to deal with all on your own. We as a country need to wake up to this problem just as badly if not worse than the drug problem as you stated, these people, kids grown ups etc are not choosing mental illness yet they are also getting no help and are just as vulnerable and in danger.

Apparently, more people die of drug overdoses than from car crashes. I'm not sure what is more alarming about that, the high number of drug overdoses, or the high number of car crashes.

I think that, in the same way that governments eventually implement safety measures on roadways that have numerous accidents, and car makers install safety devices like airbags, things will be tried that will reduce the number of fentanyl-related deaths. But I don't think we can eliminate every overdose, any more than we can prevent every car crash. People make mistakes, mainly from not realizing how dangerous their situation is, just not being aware of the risks.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Apparently, more people die of drug overdoses than from car crashes. I'm not sure what is more alarming about that, the high number of drug overdoses, or the high number of car crashes.

I think that, in the same way that governments eventually implement safety measures on roadways that have numerous accidents, and car makers install safety devices like airbags, things will be tried that will reduce the number of fentanyl-related deaths. But I don't think we can eliminate every overdose, any more than we can prevent every car crash. People make mistakes, mainly from not realizing how dangerous their situation is, just not being aware of the risks.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Oh wow. I knew it was high but I had no idea it was so many. :(

Overall, overdose deaths rose 11 percent last year, to 52,404. By comparison, the number of people who died in car crashes was 37,757, an increase of 12 percent. Gun deaths, including homicides and suicides, totaled 36,252, up 7 percent.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/drug-ov...ioid-prescription-painkillers-more-than-guns/

Losing 52,404 people to drug overdoses is alarming - from purely a business perspective, it's insane.

Imagine having a fast food outlet where the special sauce was a huge hit. Then the sauce started dropping the customers at a rate of 143.5 per day. Wouldn't a business owner pay more attention to how the special sauce was made?

Then again, shouldn't the surviving customers pay more attention to how the sauce is made as well? Plenty of blame for both sides.

But heroin is definitely not the drug to do with young kiddies still in the house at said time.

Jmo. So drink and have a joint. .

I will agree with the joint part, but I don't really agree with you on the drinking part. Most of my friends who died from opioid overdose did so while mixing with alcohol and prescription drugs. Usually, the loss of clear thinking from alcohol led to other risky behavior. I have also seen far more family dysfunction, particularly violence, in families where the drug-of-choice was alcohol. The level of everyday disruption was far higher in households with parents using alcohol (alone or in combination with street drugs) than those only using heroin. Overdose is, of course, higher with street drugs because the black market nature means purity and dosing can never be known by the user.

In general, though, I very much agree with the idea that you all know addicts, even if you don't think so. You also assuredly know recreational users, even of opioids, who have never been addicted. Use and addiction aren't synonymous.

Thanks. That was eye-opening in that when I think of drug use, addiction, and overdose I consider how it affects the economy but I hadn't specifically considered how it affects employers.

But because of the increase in positive drug tests, the refugees who have reached America in recent years are finding a more welcoming hiring climate, at least for menial manufacturing jobs.

Nearly 6,000 refugees have settled in the last five years in Louisville, Kentucky, helping companies hire workers for jobs that had gone unfilled. Methamphetamine use is so high in Louisville that the number of people testing positive for meth in workplace drug tests is 47% higher than the national average, according to Quest Diagnostics.

Someone mentioned securing the border. The biggest drug dealer is the United States government. Securing the border won't stop drugs from entering this country.

Losing 52,404 people to drug overdoses is alarming - from purely a business perspective, it's insane.

Imagine having a fast food outlet where the special sauce was a huge hit. Then the sauce started dropping the customers at a rate of 143.5 per day. Wouldn't a business owner pay more attention to how the special sauce was made?

Then again, shouldn't the surviving customers pay more attention to how the sauce is made as well? Plenty of blame for both sides.

Drug dealers are not throwing away 10,000 bags of drugs because a customer overdosed.

Btw. Addicts know other addicts.

But these dealers are rarely arrested and charged with murder.

Plus we don't know if people are using too much or having alergic reactions from the poison or whatever.

Because if Susie lived while getting high from the same batch as Jane. Then why did Jane die?

Did the dealer not mix the entire batch properly?

Or did Jane take too much?

Anyways. A cop will arrest you for selling heroin.

But they never do a forensics test to see if your heroin was the batch that killed other people.

Jmo. But they need a database or something.

Someone mentioned securing the border. The biggest drug dealer is the United States government. Securing the border won't stop drugs from entering this country.

Saw this today - this study does point a finger at how this all got started.

"Heroin use appears to have become more socially acceptable among suburban and rural white individuals, perhaps because its effects seem so similar to those of widely available prescription opioids," Dr. Silvia Martins of the Mailman School of Public Health at Columbia University and colleagues wrote in the Journal of the American Medical Association's JAMA Psychiatry.

Deaths from opioid drug overdoses have hit an all-time record in the U.S., rising 14 percent in just one year, and heroin deaths quadrupled between 2002 and 2013.

"Physicians' prescriptions for chronic noncancer pain rose three-fold and became the major source of opioids over the past two decades," she wrote in a commentary.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/americas-heroin-epidemic/heroin-use-spikes-fivefold-u-s-n740051

Agree a billion dollar wall won't make a difference, other than to use up a billion dollars.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back