Deceased/Not Found VA - Zulma Pabon, 26, Chesterfield, 6 June 2014 *J. Gibbs guilty*

So very sad I pray one day her family can have closure with this and that she is found

http://wtvr.com/2016/02/25/boyfriend-of-missing-woman-zulma-pabon-arrested-for-child-neglect/

This article is from February of 2016; the boyfriend was arrested for child neglect of the child that he and Zulma had together.

http://wtvr.com/2016/11/18/boyfriend-of-missing-chesterfield-woman-found-guilty-of-child-neglect/

This one is from November 2016.

The Assistant Commonwealth’s Attorney who handled the case, Erin Barr, confirmed that the couple’s son is showing a lot of behavioral problems since his mom went missing.

He has been suspended from school several times, and even wandered away from the home two separate times.

The second incident resulted in Gibbs’ arrest. Police said Gibbs left the little boy home along while he attended a parent-teacher conference.

This makes me wonder if their child saw something that may have happened to his mother. He could be acting out as a coping mechanism, but maybe there's a real chance he knows something that he's too young to be able to process for himself.

http://wtvr.com/2016/02/25/boyfriend-of-missing-woman-zulma-pabon-arrested-for-child-neglect/

This article is from February of 2016; the boyfriend was arrested for child neglect of the child that he and Zulma had together.

http://wtvr.com/2016/11/18/boyfriend-of-missing-chesterfield-woman-found-guilty-of-child-neglect/

This one is from November 2016.

This makes me wonder if their child saw something that may have happened to his mother. He could be acting out as a coping mechanism, but maybe there's a real chance he knows something that he's too young to be able to process for himself.

Thanks for this. I live about 90 minutes from the Richmond area and I have tried to keep up with this but I missed the last article. If Zulma's son did see something maybe something will come out after he has lived with his aunt for a while. This case needs to come to a closure. I believe we all have an idea who did it and LE certainly has more than we do.

Doctor arrested in connection to murder of missing Chesterfield nurse
13372963_G.jpg

Nearly three years after a Chesterfield nurse went missing, police have arrested a doctor suspected in her disappearance.
John E. Gibbs II, 39, is charged with first degree murder in connection to Zulma Pabon. Police are classifying her disappearance as a no-body homicide.

http://www.nbc12.com/story/34846741...ction-to-murder-of-missing-chesterfield-nurse

This is about an hour and a half from me and I've checked up on it every now and then. Just did a Google search and saw the boyfriend was arrested. Had to come here and see if there was anything else.

This is about an hour and a half from me and I've checked up on it every now and then. Just did a Google search and saw the boyfriend was arrested. Had to come here and see if there was anything else.

Me, too. The hospital where she worked is 2 miles from my home. Here's the latest from today's bond hearing. Not only has the doctor/boyfriend been arrested, but he has been denied bond.

Here's a snippet from the news report:

http://wtvr.com/2017/04/11/doctor-charged-with-nurses-murder-bought-23-bottles-of-drain-cleaner/

In July, after Pabon’s disappearance, police said he bought 23 bottles of drain cleaner and a 64-gallon trash can at a Lowes. He returned seven bottles.

why drain cleaner and a trash a month later? what am I missing. was she in his home the whole time?

why drain cleaner and a trash a month later? what am I missing. was she in his home the whole time?

I speculate he hid her body, then realized it would be better to dissolve it in a plastic trash bin filled with drano.

16 bottles of drain cleaner (lye) and he does it in his house??!?!?! What, in the 2nd bathroom and with a small child in the house? And that had to cause an odor that would hard to hide from the neighbors and most of the bone mass would still be there. It's amazing this guy went almost 3 years before he was arrested.

Midlothian doctor charged in 'no body' murder of girlfriend will be released from jail because of trial delay

http://www.richmond.com/news/local/crime/midlothian-doctor-charged-in-no-body-murder-of-girlfriend-will/article_83f5251c-3cc8-5aca-a3d5-659ad8947761.html

Dr. John E. Gibbs III, 39, who is accused of killing Zulma L. Pabon more than three years ago in an unusual no-body homicide case, will be released on his own recognizance about Sept. 1 after he serves the remainder of a six-month jail term for felony child neglect related to the couple’s 5-year-old son, said defense attorney Debra Corcoran.

Corcoran said releasing Gibbs or withdrawing the murder charge against him were the only two options for prosecutors Friday after they requested his trial be delayed because a witness would not be available for the weeklong proceeding, which was set to begin Monday.

After a brief recess, Corcoran said a compromise was reached that will allow Gibbs to be released from jail and remain free until at least his new trial date, now set for Nov. 27. Ten days have been set aside to try the case.

The trial is currently underway.

Prosecution and defense present competing narratives about what happened to Chesterfield nurse at doctor-boyfriend's murder trial

Friends of a Chesterfield County nurse who vanished without a trace 3½ years ago testified Monday that Zulma L. Pabon was excited about moving forward with her life as she prepared to leave her doctor-boyfriend, but became increasingly anxious about what he might do upon learning she had a new boyfriend and was moving out.

“If you leave me, I will kill myself, or something else,” John E. Gibbs III told Pabon, according to Zanetra Wright, who testified what Pabon told her in the days before her friend and co-worker was last seen alive on June 6, 2014.

But defense lawyers countered that Pabon was suffering from depression and exhibiting signs of mental impairment before she went missing, suggesting she either left on her own or died somewhere after harming herself.

Powhatan man testifies about nurse's growing despair with her boyfriend, a doctor, before she vanished without a trace

Goode said he invited Pabon to a Memorial Day gathering that year with his family in Powhatan, the first time he saw her outside the gym.

Goode said Pabon sent him a text message about the “wonderful time” she had at the gathering, but the good feeling soured after she shared that Gibbs had questioned her about the event. That led her to believe that Gibbs had followed her and had secretly tracked her location through her phone. “I came home to drama I wasn’t expecting,” Goode said Pabon reported.

Pabon advised that she was going to try to tolerate her current living conditions until she could move into her new apartment on July 11. As Pabon talked about the situation, Gibbs was texting and calling her the entire time, Goode testified.

Goode said that in the week before Pabon disappeared, he saw her every day at the gym Monday through Thursday, and on that last day, June 5, he had an “uneasy feeling about her.”

She told Goode that Gibbs was “acting very strange,” noting that he on one occasion stood over top of her, looking at her, as she pretended to be asleep.

Sister of missing Chesterfield nurse said woman's boyfriend, a doctor, shut off contact as desperate family members sought answers

The older sister of missing Chesterfield County nurse Zulma L. Pabon testified Wednesday that she received virtually no cooperation or contact from her sister’s boyfriend, Dr. John E. Gibbs III, when Pabon disappeared 3½ years ago as family members rallied to find out what happened to her.

Yalitza Soba’s growing suspicion that Gibbs played a role in Pabon’s disappearance and presumed death prompted her to begin working with Chesterfield detectives, according to testimony on the third day of Gibbs’ murder trial in Chesterfield Circuit Court.

At the direction of police, Soba said, she recorded one of the few phone conversations she had with Gibbs on June 15, 2014, about a week after her sister disappeared. And on the following day, she used a recording device hidden in her purse when she confronted Gibbs at his office and insisted he talk with her.

In testimony for the prosecution, John Tyler, a licensed clinical social worker for Chesterfield County, said in his experience in assisting hundreds of people who have harmed themselves, cutting is not considered to be a mental illness and that those who do it are not necessarily depressed. Typically, people who cut themselves do so to feel “alive” and to release their “inner turmoil,” he said.

http://www.richmond.com/news/local/chesterfield/chesterfield-jurors-begin-deliberating-in-doctor-s-murder-trial-after/article_db78b836-0fa3-503f-941d-ccdb790e28c8.html

A Chesterfield County jury empaneled to decide the guilt or innocence of Dr. John E. Gibbs III in the disappearance and presumed murder of his longtime girlfriend, Zulma L. Pabon, failed to reach a decision Wednesday after deliberating more than five hours but will try again on Thursday.

Prosecutors argued there is no other reasonable hypothesis for Pabon’s disappearance and presumed death based on a chain of largely circumstantial evidence they presented in meticulous detail over five days. The evidence includes GPS tracking coordinates of Gibbs’ van; cellphone records for Gibbs and Pabon; internet searches just before Pabon disappeared; unusual purchases of drain cleaner and muriatic acid; and large money transfers, including a $175,000 check Gibbs wrote to his sister.

The defense countered that prosecutors presented virtually no “actual evidence” and are relying instead on “suspicious activity” allegedly committed by the defendant that does not take into account other plausible explanations for Pabon’s disappearance.

I was on the jury in Dr. Gibbs' trial. Zulma's body has not been recovered but we did convict him of first degree murder.

My own personal suspicion is that Dr. Gibbs had some assistance and hid the body on land near his family's homeplace in North Carolina. I hope some day she can be returned to her family so they can have peace.

Ex-doctor gets 50 years for murder in rare 'no body' case
https://www.sfchronicle.com/news/crime/article/Virginia-man-sentenced-to-50-years-in-12748458.php
„RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — A former Richmond-area doctor convicted of murder in the death of his girlfriend, whose body has not been found, has been sentenced to 50 years in prison.

The Richmond Times-Dispatch reports a judge handed down a jury's recommended punishment for Dr. John E. Gibbs III on Monday.

Gibbs' attorneys said he maintains his innocence and plans to appeal.

The jury found Gibbs guilty in Zulma Pabon's death following an eight-day trial in December. Pabon, a nurse, went missing in 2014.

Prosecutors presented evidence including cellphone records, web searches, store purchases of drain cleaner and acid, and surveillance photo images.

According to the newspaper, the verdict marked the second time in less than two years that Chesterfield authorities won a conviction in a rare "no body" homicide case.“

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back