Crazy Pills

angelwngs said:
I was on it for 2 weeks when I got scared and quit taking it after realizing I had no memory of driving to and from work daily... The very next week all the reports about these strange side-effects hit the news in the USA.

My nextdoor neighbor got up in the middle of the night, signed on to Ebay and bought a $2000.00 Swiss sewing machine and she doesn't even sew!

I'm thinking about going back on it now if it might explain my spending sprees to my DH! :D
LOL....angelwngs. Too funny---maybe I should go on it, too...there is a fantabulous purse I've been salivating over.....

How bizarre about your friend buying a $2000.00 sewing machine and she doesn't even sew! Was she at least able to back out of the purchase??

Okay, for you bi-polar experts. Let me ask a question. Who do you go to get be diagnosed? An MD, a psychologist, a psychiatrist? Who? I have thought for years that I was manic-depressive and there are few close to me who would not agree. I just have wondered who to talk to. I guess maybe a referral from my MD?

curious1 said:
Okay, for you bi-polar experts. Let me ask a question. Who do you go to get be diagnosed? An MD, a psychologist, a psychiatrist? Who? I have thought for years that I was manic-depressive and there are few close to me who would not agree. I just have wondered who to talk to. I guess maybe a referral from my MD?
Curious, that would be my bet.

Thanks. I really would not want to have to take meds, the side effect scare me and I don't think that I am that bad off, but maybe someone to talk to, some understanding of what is going on with me and ways to cope might help.

curious1 said:
Thanks. I really would not want to have to take meds, the side effect scare me and I don't think that I am that bad off, but maybe someone to talk to, some understanding of what is going on with me and ways to cope might help.
Your GP can refer you to just the right person!
(well hopefully lol)

Good luck :)

curious1 said:

Hi Curious1!

I'm certainly no expert on Bipolar but because I live with it, I have educated myself on the condition.

Your regular MD could refer you to a Psychatrist or Psycologist but now adays with *most* insurance you do not need to be refered to a mental health professional. Back in 1996 the Mental health parity act came into effect and has changed many things about how mental health and addiction are handled by Insurance Companies.

If I were just now beginning to look for help for my Bipolar I would research local doctors- but not go with only their education and standing in the mental health community. Talk to people who have been to them!! Find out how they were treated by them... how long a dx took after first being seen- how willing they may be to treat the illness without traditional medications, etc. Ask questions of their patients!!

Many will open up to you in a way that makes you sigh with relief! After we find help and begin to feel better we are often eager to tell others about it- because we hope they too can get well. I honestly think that's the best thing you or anyone trying to get help can do for yourself! To get into contact with these patients, you may want to look for self help support groups, day programs in your area... even ask around town if anyone has been to a particular Doc.

As an adult, when I first went looking for what was wrong with me I went to Psychiatrists but found I lived in a fog for several years on all the drugs they gave me. After awhile I stopped going to a doctor at all- and went off all the medications. I'd rather be crazy than unable to drive a car without wanting to crash into telephone poles or take care of my child or be angry all the time.

I did however continue on my own to try to help myself- I tried "natural" remedies. St. John's Wort, Fish oil pills (Omega-3 fatty acid), Folic acid and Kava Kava. They helped- they certainly helped more than the meds the Shrink gave me- but they didn't help enough or for long enough so I stopped taking them.

I then researched the difference between a Psyciatrist and a Psycologist and decided to see a Psycologist because it wouldn't be about what medication would help my symptoms.. rather, an actual diagnosis. In less than 6 months I was diagnosed with Bipolar- by a person who could not even prescribe medications for it- the help I could now get felt more real knowing he wouldn't just drug me up, ya know? I chose to go medication free for several more years but the illness progressed rapidly and I ended up Psychotic- hearing voices and seeing things and was commited to a Psych. hospital by the police.

While in the hospital they began meds and they helped. but it still took several more years to get to find the right cocktail for me. About 5 1/2 years ago I took "classes" to learn how to handle my anxiety without medication. I wanted to learn how to *feel* properly and deal with those feeling myself, not take a pill to get rid of the feeling! I also went off all the medications that caused excessive drowsiness.

I have also made many lifestyle changes.. eating regularly, excercise, sleeping at least 6 hrs a night, I no longer drink alcohol and stay away from people I used to hang out with while I was sick (kinda like a drug addict, ya have to change your surroundings). I live a no drama lifestyle and fill my days with my family and pets. I aim for very low stress but have found that I can now handle stress like everyone else in the world.

I am planning on beginning to go to school and that will be a very new thing for me but I'm gonna start slow as to not overwhelm myself. I tend to still want things *now*- hurry! hurry! but am able to control my impulses much better than before!

I also have promised myself that I will remain in some form of self help throughout my lifetime. I don't mean only Psychiatric type classes or groups but things like Cake decorating classes, learning how to cross stitch, crafts... I have also learned how to go to a resturaunt by myself and have dinner without feeling weird or watched by others. My hubby and I take off at least 2 times a year by ourselves and get a hotel room for the weekend- even if the hotel is only up the street!

We have to take care of ourselves in order to take care of others.!

There is help and we all can be helped even those who don't want traditional medications. The Omega-3 fatty acids have rave reviews as do Anticonvulsants.

I truly think the best way to help oneself is to educate oneself. That way YOU know what you need and what to expect and what to ask for. No one else can dictate your treatment plan!

The best thing I have learned through all of this and to me, makes the many years of mental agony almost worth it is that- I am good, I am kind, and I matter!

I hope you find the help you need in whatever form is best for YOU! But do it now so you don't have to feel this way for one more day!!

OLG,, kudos to you for taking charge of your condition and thinking outside the box... trying to find healthier alternatives to drugs (since they were not working well for you & doing more harm than good!)

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brentr
Back