Theory #3: Other Stranger Abduction

smile22 said:
so if annasbro and joe ford took his stuff after he vacated what year was that? was it in the 70s and what was on those papers? and why the date of 1980 did it hold a connection to this man was something suposed to happen in the 80's? if we can find out the year the stuff was found it might shed some light on things but if it was found in the 70s then the date of 1980 is very strange
The items were clearly from Jan/Feb 1980, so they were collected sometime after that. They question is: did the Wild Man move out in 1980 (and the idea that he left a few weeks after Anna disappeared is wrong), or did someone else reside in the shack after the Wild Man left (perhaps Speder, if he is not the WM)?

I forgot to mention that this above information was presented to LE and they felt it was too weak and speculative for them to investigate, but they did say it seemed worthy of our looking into it. We would need to fill in the gaps enough to warrant their involvement. My prayer is that we do not find those links, but our ultimate goal needs to remain uncovering the truth of Anna's disappearance.

Dr. Doogie said:
I forgot to mention that this above information was presented to LE and they felt it was too weak and speculative for them to investigate, but they did say it seemed worthy of our looking into it. We would need to fill in the gaps enough to warrant their involvement. My prayer is that we do not find those links, but our ultimate goal needs to remain uncovering the truth of Anna's disappearance.
We may be dealing with nightmares here, or even with two different locations. It seems to me that the location of the "shack" pointed out by Annasbro was near our neighbors, the Scholls, and not near the cemetery on Verde Road. I still have not seen a shack near the cemetery, though I suppose there could be one somewhere in the thicket. But my real question is: If this "wild man" and his shack were supposed to have some significance, why was it never even mentioned to me in 30-something years? I first heard of it from Doogie a couple of years ago. If there are any other scenarios from the nightmare realm, I would rather hear about them than to think meaningful evidence is not being brought to my attention.

I spoke with Annasbro last night and he confirmed that the shack in question was located at the corner of Purissima Creek and Verde Roads, next to the Purissima cemetery. He clarified that the "Wild Man" did not "chase" the two of them off the property - it was more a situation of him making it clear that they were not welcome (all the while holding a hatchet in his hand).

He was not able to clarify the seven year gap between when Anna disappeared (1973) and when they searched the shack (1980).

Thank you Doogie for clarifying that he didnt chase Annasbro and Joe off his property.You know its weird but I had a nightmare last night about that "Wild Man" I dont really remember the dream but I woke up really disturbed and asked my husband to hold me. The image of a crazy man with a hatchet in his hand chasing someone just freaked me out. :eek:
I really think this should be looked into even if Richard Speder isnt the "wild man" Are you going to contact Richard Speder Doogie? You said there was mail in the shack, did the post office deliver mail there? If so, is there any way to get records of people who had mail delivered there? Is the shack still there?

I don't mean to make light of Richard Speder; however his name reminds me of "Mr. Richard Feder of Fort Lee, New Jersey" from the Roseanne Roseannadanna skits on SNL (my love to Gilda Radner :blowkiss:).

GraceBlue said:
I really think this should be looked into even if Richard Speder isnt the "wild man" Are you going to contact Richard Speder Doogie? You said there was mail in the shack, did the post office deliver mail there? If so, is there any way to get records of people who had mail delivered there? Is the shack still there?
If Speder is not the "Wild Man", then that means he probably moved into the shack after the WM left (after Anna's disappearance) and would not be of any interest to us. I am reluctant to contact Speder at this point until I have a better feel for how he fits in to the whole picture (if he fits in at all).

The mail was addressed to a Post Office Box, so there would be no way to trace who resided at the shack by it.

Can we find who owned the property in 1973? As landlord, they should be able to give info on who the tennants were.

AnnasMom, I know hearing this now is probably upsetting. But I am guessing that with the chaos that probably occurred after she disappeared, and the grief that all were going through....most likely this was probably mentioned to LE and when they dismissed it, it was probably forgotten. After all, why upset you more with what was thought to be useless information? After all they had not found anything concrete. Looking back now, with her disappearance still unsolved it stands out more than it would have then.

Dr. Doogie--Do you have the actual address of this home? I'm not asking you to put it here, but I'm just wondering. The actual address of the home can give us a history of homeownership & names since it was first built up until the present. That way we can determine if the wild man was or was not Speder.

I am wondering also if the cemetary and the house could possibly be connected....like a caretakers cottage or something.

mysteriew said:
Can we find who owned the property in 1973? As landlord, they should be able to give info on who the tennants were.
The property was owned by Bank of America at the time. It is unknown if the WM was a renter or a squatter. The condition of the shack was such that it may not have been a legitimate rental property.

mysteriew said:
AnnasMom, I know hearing this now is probably upsetting. But I am guessing that with the chaos that probably occurred after she disappeared, and the grief that all were going through....most likely this was probably mentioned to LE and when they dismissed it, it was probably forgotten. After all, why upset you more with what was thought to be useless information? After all they had not found anything concrete. Looking back now, with her disappearance still unsolved it stands out more than it would have then.
This is plausible. I also think that time has added weight to this possibility in Joe Ford's mind - remember (in the same way that the case was first investigated as a drowning), the focus of the possible abduction probably focused rightly on George Waters and Brody. With prime suspects such as those two, it was easy to ignore an oddball who lived down the street. It is the discovery of his possible affiliation with a treatment center for pedophiles (not known at the time of the disappearance) that elevates the WM's profile.

I don't know how to use census records. Is there a way to track who lived there through the census?

Do you know who owned the property before Bank of America? Other than development property banks get their property through forclosures- and it sounds as though this might be a the way they acquired this one. When banks take over a property they sometimes allow the previous owners to stay there until a determination to sell is made.

Dr. Doogie said:
The property was owned by Bank of America at the time. It is unknown if the WM was a renter or a squatter. The condition of the shack was such that it may not have been a legitimate rental property.

This is plausible. I also think that time has added weight to this possibility in Joe Ford's mind - remember (in the same way that the case was first investigated as a drowning), the focus of the possible abduction probably focused rightly on George Waters and Brody. With prime suspects such as those two, it was easy to ignore an oddball who lived down the street. It is the discovery of his possible affiliation with a treatment center for pedophiles (not known at the time of the disappearance) that elevates the WM's profile.
Thanks, Dr. Doogie. It might still be worth checking out. You can look up San Mateo property records online. I can post a link if you like.

mysteriew said:
I don't know how to use census records. Is there a way to track who lived there through the census?
Specific Census records are confidential for 75 years (which is why 1930 is the most current info you can access today). Property deeds on file is the best we can do, and that is how Joe Ford found that B of A owned the property then. If the WM was the previous owner and was forclosed on, this would at least give us a name to work with.

julianne said:
Thanks, Dr. Doogie. It might still be worth checking out. You can look up San Mateo property records online. I can post a link if you like.
Please!

mysteriew said:

Thank you, Mysteriew: the voice of sanity. It might be worth noting that the farm where we lived was also being administered by Bank of America, since it was in probate. I don't know if there was a connection.

Dr. Doogie said:
The items were clearly from Jan/Feb 1980, so they were collected sometime after that. They question is: did the Wild Man move out in 1980 (and the idea that he left a few weeks after Anna disappeared is wrong), or did someone else reside in the shack after the Wild Man left (perhaps Speder, if he is not the WM)?
DRDOOGIE, I strongly support your discretion in this delicate and sensitive inquiry. It must be remembered that the tenant of the property in 1973 is simply a "person of interest".

In hopes of clarifying the time line:

Annasbro and I questioned the neighbors, including the subject of interest, within three weeks of Anna’s disappearance. Except for the disturbing response from that person there was little to note.

In subsequent years, while continuing our search for Anna in other directions, I often drove the Higgins-Purissima Rd. seeking clues or inspiration. It must have been on one of these occasions in 1980 that I noticed the property in question seemed abandoned. It would have been then that I collected the material that ended up in Annasmom’s file. I cannot recall whether Annasbro was with me at that time.

While the person who lived on the property in 1980 may or may not be the same person who lived there in 1973, it seems to me likely that there would be some connection. As noted previously, BofA was the title holder. Because of the relative remoteness and squalid condition of the property it seems unlikely that the bank would have advertised for tenants. More probable would be a direct connection with the previous tenant.

Thanks, Joe. Now it makes sense.

You are correct in your caution. We do not know if the Wild Man has any connection to Anna's disappearance or if the Wild Man is Richard Speder. Because of this, Speder's employment by a treatment facility for pedophiles is (as of now) nothing more than an "interesting" bit of information. We have a few "dots", but will need to connect them together to make a plausible theory. Until that point, Mr. Speder needs to be treated respectfully.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back