Found Deceased GA - LaTania 'Janell' Carwell, 16, Augusta, 17 April 2017 *mom & stepdad arrested*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder how they are staying undetected? How are they getting money for food? Where are they staying? I saw in one article that they could be in the Atlanta area. I just don't understand how they could just disappear off the face of the earth. Puzzled:thinking:

Betterbe, I believe they will surface, especially if need money, food and hopefully someone will notice or become suspicious.
Just like what happened in the Elizabeth Thomas case.
That said, since there is hardly any mention of Latania anywhere and I'm local.
We have got to spread the word and make lots of noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wonder how they are staying undetected? How are they getting money for food? Where are they staying? I saw in one article that they could be in the Atlanta area. I just don't understand how they could just disappear off the face of the earth. Puzzled:thinking:
This is why I'm honestly wondering if they're wrecked in a ditch somewhere, while people are all speculating about an inappropriate relationship. Disclaimer: I know I'm gonna be wrong.

Flyer for Latania and Leon:

attachment.php

From the poster: "Latania Carwell, 16, and her step-father Leon Lamar Tripp, 38, were last seen on Monday, April 17, 2017 around 1:30 a.m. at the 3100 block of Tate Rd. in Augusta, GA. Leon told his wife he had received a call from a friend 'Maurice' whose car had broken down and asked Latania to accompany him."

I was able to connect Latania's mom to an address in the 3100 block of Tate RD via a people-search website. So I am assuming that Latania, her mom and Leon were all home when "Maurice" called.

At least one article says, "It is unknown what clothing Carwell and Tripp had on at the time that they went missing," which leads me to wonder if the mom actually saw Latania and Leon leave.
http://www.wrdw.com/content/news/In...o-missing-from-Richmond-County-420102333.html

I would like to know when someone outside of the immediate family last saw Latania. The oldest article I can find on Latania and Leon's disappearance is from last Friday; at that point, they had already been missing for four days. Plus, Leon has an extensive history of violent crime, having been arrested for or convicted of aggravated assault, aggravated stalking, cruelty to children, armed robbery, family violence, among others.

I hope that Latania is found soon and unhurt.

Here is a question I have, not just for this case but many others: How do. we know when lack of information is due to LE holding back or if the family is unaware of all the things to do regarding publicity or Missing White Girl Syndrome or something else? With the man's history, I would have thought LE and media would have jumped on this but the information is so seriously lacking. Any thoughts?

I hope Mom is not in denial anymore...:mad:

Why did she let her 15 yr old go anywhere ate 1:30 am? I don't get that. Then she waits 4 days to make a police report about her girl being missing? She just could not see who her man really was, I guess...:sigh:

Agreed! But my biggest question is why let this guy anywhere near her child? With his record????

This is why I'm honestly wondering if they're wrecked in a ditch somewhere, while people are all speculating about an inappropriate relationship. Disclaimer: I know I'm gonna be wrong.

I was thinking water , I don't know why but I just instantly got that vibe

Here is a question I have, not just for this case but many others: How do. we know when lack of information is due to LE holding back or if the family is unaware of all the things to do regarding publicity or Missing White Girl Syndrome or something else? With the man's history, I would have thought LE and media would have jumped on this but the information is so seriously lacking. Any thoughts?

Great question. For missing persons cases in general, I think it really depends on the circumstances of each case, and the LE agency investigating it.

With Latania's case, I really don't understand.

There is only one post about the case on the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office FB page: https://www.facebook.com/RichmondCo...5249428654151/751400371705717/?type=3&theater

And I don't believe they've issued any kind of alert. Apparently, Georgia has its own version of Amber Alert called "Levi's Call":
"Levi's Call is an investigative tool that can be activated only by local law enforcement agencies through a request to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation (GBI).
Activation Criteria
Before Levi's Call can be activated, the following Alert Criteria must be met:
  • Law enforcement officials have a reasonable belief that an abduction has occurred.
  • Law enforcement officials believe that the child is in imminent danger or serious bodily injury or death.
  • Enough descriptive information exists about the victim and the abductor for law enforcement to issue a Levi's Call: Georgia's AMBER Alert.
  • The victim of the abduction is a child age 17 years or younger.
  • The child's name and other critical data elements - including the child abduction (CA) and AMBER Alert (AA) flags - have been entered into the National Crime Information Center (NCIC) system.
Activation will not be granted for:
  • Non-custodial abductions where no danger exists to the child
  • Runaways
Overuse of Levi's Call will cause the program to be ineffective."
https://gbi.georgia.gov/levis-call

It seems to me that Latania's case meets all of the criteria. No clothing description, but they have description of the truck Latania and Leon are believed to be in, and its plate number, their height, and their appearances.

Latania might have gone willingly, but if the mom did not hear or see them leave, how do we know Leon didn't force her to go with him? C'mon, she just turned 16 on the day she disappeared :(.

With no alert, so little media coverage, and no searches that I am aware of, I feel like no one is looking for her.

I really, really hope this doesn't mean LE has nothing to go on, or that they are not taking this case seriously. My other concern is that they have found evidence that leads them in a different direction ... and I really don't want to go there :(.

From the poster: "Latania Carwell, 16, and her step-father Leon Lamar Tripp, 38, were last seen on Monday, April 17, 2017 around 1:30 a.m. at the 3100 block of Tate Rd. in Augusta, GA. Leon told his wife he had received a call from a friend 'Maurice' whose car had broken down and asked Latania to accompany him."

I was able to connect Latania's mom to an address in the 3100 block of Tate RD via a people-search website. So I am assuming that Latania, her mom and Leon were all home when "Maurice" called.

At least one article says, "It is unknown what clothing Carwell and Tripp had on at the time that they went missing," which leads me to wonder if the mom actually saw Latania and Leon leave.
http://www.wrdw.com/content/news/In...o-missing-from-Richmond-County-420102333.html

I would like to know when someone outside of the immediate family last saw Latania. The oldest article I can find on Latania and Leon's disappearance is from last Friday; at that point, they had already been missing for four days. Plus, Leon has an extensive history of violent crime, having been arrested for or convicted of aggravated assault, aggravated stalking, cruelty to children, armed robbery, family violence, among others.

I hope that Latania is found soon and unhurt.

Me too!

Sounds plausible. Just hope that where ever they are they're found soon.

Great question. For missing persons cases in general, I think it really depends on the circumstances of each case, and the LE agency investigating it.

With Latania's case, I really don't understand.

There is only one post about the case on the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office FB page: https://www.facebook.com/RichmondCo...5249428654151/751400371705717/?type=3&theater

And I don't believe they've issued any kind of alert. Apparently, Georgia has its own version of Amber Alert called "Levi's Call":
"Levi's Call is an investigative tool that can be activated only by local law enforcement agencies through a request to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation (GBI).
Activation Criteria
Before Levi's Call can be activated, the following Alert Criteria must be met:
  • Law enforcement officials have a reasonable belief that an abduction has occurred.
  • Law enforcement officials believe that the child is in imminent danger or serious bodily injury or death.
  • Enough descriptive information exists about the victim and the abductor for law enforcement to issue a Levi's Call: Georgia's AMBER Alert.
  • The victim of the abduction is a child age 17 years or younger.
  • The child's name and other critical data elements - including the child abduction (CA) and AMBER Alert (AA) flags - have been entered into the National Crime Information Center (NCIC) system.
Activation will not be granted for:
  • Non-custodial abductions where no danger exists to the child
  • Runaways
Overuse of Levi's Call will cause the program to be ineffective."
https://gbi.georgia.gov/levis-call

It seems to me that Latania's case meets all of the criteria. No clothing description, but they have description of the truck Latania and Leon are believed to be in, and its plate number, their height, and their appearances.

Latania might have gone willingly, but if the mom did not hear or see them leave, how do we know Leon didn't force her to go with him? C'mon, she just turned 16 on the day she disappeared :(.

With no alert, so little media coverage, and no searches that I am aware of, I feel like no one is looking for her.

I really, really hope this doesn't mean LE has nothing to go on, or that they are not taking this case seriously. My other concern is that they have found evidence that leads them in a different direction ... and I really don't want to go there :(.

Definitely don't understand the silence unless they believe she ran away, but wouldn't she still be considered "endangered"? This is absolutely mind-boggling and beyond frustrating!

http://www.wrdw.com/content/news/Investigators-looking-for-two-missing-from-Richmond-County-420102333.html?utm_content=buffere0175&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

SMH..........But I guess some news is better than nothing. So the truck was found close to home, but no mention as to when it was found. So............what is really going on? UGH!

So the stepdad and daughter were not even going to tell Mom they were leaving? They just went out back door at 1:30 am, on the night of her 16th birthday......:thinking:

They disappeared on Janelle's 16th birthday in the middle of the night.

"I heard the truck crank up and I heard the backdoor slam. I said what in the world is this man doing," said Tripp.

Tripp says she quickly called her husband.

"He immediately answered and he said babe I'm sorry. I know what you are fixing to say. I have Janelle. I said oh thank God," said Tripp.

Leon told her he was taking Janelle to help him fix a man named "Maurice's" car in Clarks Hill, Ga.

"I said I love y'all. Let me know when y'all are on your way back. I said I'm worried. You know how I get. He said OK babe. I heard her say I love you mommy," said Tripp.

Based on this latest article it looks like she didn't know they were leaving the house until she heard the truck start up and the door to the home shut. She didn't get up to physically see, but instead she called the husbands cell phone. He confirmed that Latania was with him. He stated that he was going to help a friend who was having car trouble in Clarks Hill, Ga which is about 22 miles from the house. So I wonder where exactly the car was found in relation to Clarks hill. Also according to the video, the mom told the reporter that police had been able to pick up pings from her phone but the police would not confirm this info to the reporter.:facepalm:

WTH? Why isn't there more media around this case? Is it because LE is 'falling back on' the age of consent? What are the chances that Stepdad and young L disappeared the day she hit the age of consent and it was random? Pretty much nil.

And I'm sorry, but mom is living in a fantasy world!

Local LE and local media should be ashamed! A 16yo girl disappearing with someone who was in a position to manipulate her is beyond acceptable!

WTH? Why isn't there more media around this case? Is it because LE is 'falling back on' the age of consent? What are the chances that Stepdad and young L disappeared the day she hit the age of consent and it was random? Pretty much nil.

And I'm sorry, but mom is living in a fantasy world!

Local LE and local media should be ashamed! A 16yo girl disappearing with someone who was I a position to manipulate her is beyond acceptable!

Agree, I don't think there was anything between the two of them--she would not have said, "I love you mommy" if she was willingly with him in a romantic way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong