OK OK - Jeffrey Ben, 18, Clayton, 29 January 2001

It's sad that the person(s) responsible haven't been brought to justice. Hopefully, some day.

Never forgotten Jeffrey, your story has touched many as far as Australia RIP xx

I'd like to add and also clear up some information about this case.
The "wreck" that Jeffrey was in caused minimal damage to the vehicle and nearly none to the tree, which still stands and grows. The truck had bumper damage, but no shattered windshield, no blood. There was no reason why, if Jeffrey was the driver and he was alone, he couldn't or wouldn't have backed up and continued on.
There is no indication that Jeffrey was the driver, was alone, was drunk and or high. The only people who made these statements were his cousins. The only way they would know this is if they were with him when he took the drugs, and the only time they saw him prior to his disappearance was when he was at their house (Don's house) on that Super Bowl Sunday. Jeffrey had flown in from Detroit; he didn't bring drugs or alcohol with him, so those likely came from someone at that gathering of cousins. Were there other people there who haven't been named? Who knows, the cousins won't talk, because when Shannon took a polygraph, she failed, and everybody circled the wagons.
What exactly the cousins told the police we can't access, as this is still an open case. What authorities including OSBI have indicated is that somebody at the house told police that they heard a crash, and Don went to check out the sound.
He says he saw the truck running with the door open with no one inside. He said Jeffrey had been driving the truck alone. He made zero effort to look or call out for Jeffrey, to call or drive to Jeffrey's family, located just up the road, or to contact police. The truck was easily backed out, so Don drove it back to his own house and went inside.

I could throw in more details, but there's just so much we don't know.
I've always believed that Jeffrey was not in the truck that night, that Jeffrey had OD'd, having been partying with people who were used to doing much more and higher levels of drugs than Jeffrey was used to, and Don was going to drive the truck back to Jeffrey's family home and leave it there. I think someone was following him to drive him home.
When the truck crashed, I think he panicked, and his instinct was to go back home and regroup--meaning more alcohol, more drugs, hours slipping by. I think while Don was tasked to deal with the truck, someone else was supposed to take Jeffrey's body away from the house and put it somewhere maybe in another state or just somewhere away from Clayton, then move it when the searches died down, to a place near enough but rough enough to fit the narrative of Jeffrey stumbling out and for some reason battling seriously steep, thick terrain in ice cold weather for miles until he, what, leaned against a tree to rest, fell asleep and froze to death? And his body was never located after a 20 mile radius ground and air search undertaking multiple times over a year? When he was 2 miles from the crash site?
My other thought is that Jeffrey OD'd and Don panicked and put Jeffrey in the truck, and tried to crash him into the tree hard enough to make it look like he was so intoxicated he hit the tree and died of a head injury. Only he didn't hit the tree hard enough and Jeffrey had not even a bump, so he just turned around and went home to huddle with the cousins and come up with a plan b. Remember, the only people who "saw" Jeffrey get in the truck, and the empty truck crashed into a tree with no Jeffrey, were the cousins he was partying with. There's no corroboration. And since Don admits to driving the truck back to his house, DNA doesn't help. Any other ideas?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
renenoelle
Back