Trial - Leonard P. Gonzalez, Jr. UPDATE -- Found Guilty

Can't believe Eddins comment...

http://ricksblog.biz/?p=13012
Jury recommends death
Friday October 29th
*snip* When asked if the buck stops with Gonzalez and is he the top of the food chain, Eddins said, “In my opinion, he is the top of the pyramid. We chased down every lead and came to that conclusion.”

It's sickening , really. I have pages and pages of "leads" and the buck hardly stops with LPG. Is he a psycho who murdered these people, yers. Does he deserve justice for his actions? Yes! But the cesspool will keep on swirling and whirling. . . and evil still reigns in Pensacola. (IMHO):banghead:

Hearing Carol Brant's testimony made me wonder why she wasn't arrested on the same charge as Pam Wiggins. It makes me angry that with all she knew, she could have stopped the crime with one phone call to LE.

Rewatching Tabatha's testimony in the penalty phase:
http://www.pnj.com/article/20101029/GRAPHICS/101025004/Live-video-Gonzalez-trial

Did anyone catch what the wife, Tabatha, started saying when the defense attorney was trying to ask her about a back injury Jr. suffered at the hands of police. She said he was driving a car for Cab Tice and it had a bad tag on it ... one that was associated with a stolen car associated with a violent crime. The attorney stopped her short from describing it more but apparently she was told that he was roughed up by the police and a foot was shoved in his back, etc. (who knows if that is true??)
She said Jr couldn't move the next day and had to go to the hospital.

The defense attorney's purpose was to gain sympathy, I think, because this was supposedly the cause of his continued addiction to drugs (besides the various hernia surgeries where he also got hooked on Lortab.) But it also is curious given the speculation a while back that Cab Tice may have been involved in changing tags on cars and shipping them over seas, possibly the cars in the floor plan that were financed by Bud Billings.
Besides, wouldn't he have had to have been resisting the officers to have been "manhandled" by the police.

There were a few other curious things that came up. They showed wife #2 a wedding pic and it was of Jr. and wife #1!!! Embarrassing mistake! They didn't get into all the alleged craziness surrounding his dealings with his ex and her family... and the myspace or facebook nonsense if I am remembering right. Also, there was a brief discussion of him getting involved with his bio father, Sr., much to his mom's and wife's disapproval and an inheritance involved.

There is so much more to this story that I think will never make it to the trial (probably good for many involved) but it would definitely make a very interesting book.

It was very sad when they asked Jr.'s mom if Patrick was a good son and she hesitated ...she couldn't say that he was ... you just could tell that she didn't want to lie. She kind of released the jury in the end to do what they thought was the right thing ...not trying to guilt them into anything. This must be so hard for the family. Perps don't think of what they drag their families through. Jr's wife lost a baby at 5 1/2 months after he was arrested.

I thought all the things that were brought up as mitigating factors in favor of Junior were pretty strange. I realize the attempt to 'humanize' him but it almost seemed trivial and insulting that we are discussing childhood trophies when two people had been terrorized and killed in front of their children.

I had never seen all the phases of a trial like this so it was interesting to watch.
Of course, the Billings family suffered the unthinkable hearing all the details of this case. All just senseless!!

http://inweekly.net/wordpress/?p=2537
Justice Served
Inside The Gonzalez Murder Trial by Rick Outzen
*snip* What Smith, the son of an Escambia County corrections officer, didn’t mention was that he had been a reluctant witness and had been warned about not talking with investigators because of the possible connection of Henry “Cab” Tice to the crime. Tice is a former business partner of Byrd Billings who is believed to have owed the victim over a hundred thousand dollars for cars missing from his car lot.

Smith also had told investigators that Hugh Wiggins, who Gonzalez called “Brother One,” had told him that he was taking over a crime operation headed by “Mr. Mantis” and that Gonzalez had done “assignments” for “Mantis.”

LOL. PNJ needs to get a new cameraman, IMO. :)

With his life on the line, Leonard Patrick Gonzalez Jr. blamed the media, an attention-starved sheriff and a politically motivated prosecutor for his double murder conviction.

The 36-year-old man found guilty of the July 9, 2009 murders of Byrd and Melanie Billings testified for about 30 minutes at a sentencing hearing on Wednesday.

Gonzalez Jr. winked and smiled at his wife Tabatha as he passed in front of where she sat.

Unlike the trial in October where he was allowed to wear a suit and tie, he wore the lime green jumpsuit that is the calling card of high-risk inmates at Escambia County Jail.

Circuit Judge Nick Geeker will decided Feb. 17 if he will follow the jury’s recommendation to put Gonzalez Jr. to death after it convicted him of two counts of first-degree murder and one count of home invasion.

(snip)

http://www.pnj.com/article/20101209/NEWS01/101209014/Gonzalez-Jr-testifies

Does anyone know if the psychological evaluation was read? The statement "I'm not crazy" leads me to believe that is what the report said.
I would really like to see the entire video (minus freeze frames, gaps and all other hindrances!).

*snip* Gonzalez Jr. hissed a protest at the presence of the media in the courtroom to his attorneys Randy Etheridge and John Jay Gontarek.
He said he didn’t want a psychological evaluation read for the attendees and the media to hear.
“I’m not crazy,” he said.

Does anyone know if the psychological evaluation was read? The statement "I'm not crazy" leads me to believe that is what the report said.I would really like to see the entire video (minus freeze frames, gaps and all other hindrances!).

*snip* Gonzalez Jr. hissed a protest at the presence of the media in the courtroom to his attorneys Randy Etheridge and John Jay Gontarek.
He said he didn’t want a psychological evaluation read for the attendees and the media to hear.
“I’m not crazy,” he said.

I'm guessing sociopath with narcissistic personality disorder. The things he said at his hearing show delusions of grandiosity. What a sad piece of inhumanity. His wife defends him? Does this mean the cycle will repeat itself in his offspring who might be 'taught' that grandiose daddy dear was wronged by "the man"? *shudders at the thought*

wkrg.com/2017/05/26/death-penalty-overturned-in-billings-murder-case/

Death Penalty Overturned In Billings Murder Case

*snip*

Judge Geeker cited the Florida Supreme Court decision in Hurst v. Florida as grounds to set aside the sentences imposed. No hearing date has been set yet.

weartv.com/news/local/re-sentencing-under-the-states-new-death-penalty-laws-for-gonzalez-jr

New sentencing for Billings murder suspect

*snip*

"One of the particular problems that will exist in the case is that we will have to empanel a new jury and basically present the entire case again, because many of the aggravating factors are subsumed within the case in chief so in essence putting the whole case on again for the penalty phase jury so they can be entirely educated about the crime."John Molchan, assistant state attorney

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88
Back