UK UK - Sandra Rivett, 29, Belgravia, London, 7 Nov 1974

Great contemporary version of the Dodgems' 1979 anthem, notable for its faithful replication of the headlines of the time -- not "Lord Lucan sought in death of nanny" but, instead, the neutral bow-to-the-titled-class, "Lord Lucan is missing."

[video=youtube;jms0X5iS0jE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jms0X5iS0jE[/video]

I cannot agree how anybody can agree with parental alienation - check out her website - she's a very articulate and very wronged woman. Her children, not so much. In fact she seems to be right about one thing - where is THEIR human compassion for the victim here? They seek to tell their mother that she didn't experience what she did? It's horrible and obscene the way she was treated - SHE has been the only one who spoke up for the murdered nanny, not her rotten, stupid children. Read her account - he seems very misogynistic and unbalanced, not to mention a closet fascism supporter. Again, it's her nasty, clueless children who cannot admit their Daddy was a murdered. I feel for this woman, as her children were poisoned against her by her vindictive sister with the stodgy putz of a husband.

Just a quick question to all -- if Lord Lucan's name were at the end of the thread title, thus making it a more-ready search term, would it have made it easier for you to find? I realize the victim should always go first, of course, but an older iteration of this thread did feature the nefarious Mr Bingham as well. This fascinating case should not be tough to locate. Sandra Rivett's death should be front and center and not -- even for the best intentions -- be tucked away in the corner shadows of a country churchyard.

After watching the ITV documentary last night about Lady Lucan does anyone question her account of the night of the murder?

I can’t quite put my finger on why I don’t fully believe her account of that night, maybe her account is correct and it’s her demeanour that puts me off.

Does anyone know if Lord Lucan had a life insurance policy for Lady Lucan? She insinuated in the documentary that he killed Sandra Rivett thinking it was her, because of his financial state and the stress that had caused yet he seems to have had money troubles at various times in his life.

Thought I’d share in case anyone else was of a similar opinion.

After watching the ITV documentary last night about Lady Lucan does anyone question her account of the night of the murder?

I can’t quite put my finger on why I don’t fully believe her account of that night, maybe her account is correct and it’s her demeanour that puts me off.
I know what you mean about her demeanor. Somehow, despite what happened to her, she did not evoke much sympathy but I don't think she wanted any. When asked if her relationship with her children was cold she replied " All my relationships have been cold". You could tell she meant it. When she said she thought Lord Lucan was brave for throwing himself into the propellers of a ferry (her theory), you could see she still somehow was loyal to him. Fascinating interview, but how Lord Lucan's son still can't come to terms with the fact that it was clearly his father who murdered Sandra Rivett, is burying your head in the sand to the extreme.

She was such a tragic figure, very sad. She was in a very difficult marriage, with a husband who was a "professional gambler". I think he truly cared for her, but his life was on a downward spiral. From the articles about her biography, it seems she suffered from post-partum depression and ended up being over-medicated by her physicians. They were giving her daily injections of some strong anti-psychotic drugs. Her care would likely be different today with fewer harsh side effects.

In addition to post-partum depression, she was stuck in a marriage with an upper-class gambling addict. Struggling to keep up appearances of his upper class status with no reliable income. Shame on his family and friends for turning her kids against her, telling them Lord Lucan was innocent of the murder. Lady Lucan didn't seem strong enough to stand up to them. They admitted Lucan was a deeply flawed man, but somehow blamed everything on his wife.

Does anyone know if Lord Lucan had a life insurance policy for Lady Lucan? She insinuated in the documentary that he killed Sandra Rivett thinking it was her, because of his financial state and the stress that had caused yet he seems to have had money troubles at various times in his life.

Thought I’d share in case anyone else was of a similar opinion.

Here's my theory for what it's worth. Lord Lucan was a womaniser, an abuser, a professional gambler and most importantly he was a narcissist.

They were in the middle of a messy divorce. Their marriage was one of convenience. Lord Lucan did have cash flow problems. He was cold and reticent according to her, however from photos I have seen, she looks like the cold and reticent one to me.

He had beaten her before and they were divorcing and she had a protection order against him. These actions tell me she was afraid of him. Yet she didn't even change the lock on the front door?

That doesn't make sense.

Lord Lucan enters the house in total darkness, finds somebody somewhere in the house, does not put on the lights but immediately begins to bludgeon the person.

Doesn't add up.

If I was an abusive narcissist, what would make me furious enough to commit murder?

Finding her in bed with someone else.

Where exactly did the attack take place? Because generally a nanny can be found upstairs close to the children's bedrooms. Especially late at night.

I think he caught her in bed with the nanny. I do think he premeditated his attack because he brought a pipe along. So perhaps there were whispers of impropriety.

Her story is that she runs downstairs in darkness and finds him beating the nanny to death.

The house was a five story house, the nanny must have screamed loudly.

At the same time, Lord Lucan beats her once and she manages to get away and get help.

Afterwards the car he lent and the bloody pipe are found at a port.

Lady Lucan says he must have jumped overboard into the propellers.

She is very certain that he is dead. Except suicide doesn't fit with the narcissist personality. And for such a henious crime suicide would be the gentlemanly thing to do. Society would accept that.

However, Lady Lucan continued to live the Belgravia house until the 90's. Never remarrying or having some kind of income. How did she do that?

I think they struck a deal, before she ran for 'help'. I think John Bingham realised with a shock what a mess he was in and so did she.

I think she helped him get away and he kept quiet about her and the nanny. The car at the port was a diversion, I don't think he ever left England and I think he was quite close by.

Their relationship wouldn't have changed to instant love. They were keeping an eye on each other. And with the money problems solved, she could afford to hide him.

I think they eventually went their separate ways when she moved in the 90's to the house she was found dead in.

Lord Lucan was declared dead for probate reasons in 2002. I think he took his half and she took hers and he might have left the country then under a different identity.

The two obvious loopholes in my theory are 1) He was a gambler, and 2) the children.

I had never heard of this case until recently and I now find it rather interesting. The more I read of Veronica Bingham, the more I understand why her children haven't spoken to her in 35 years. She seems to not care much about their feelings. I do have a question for those who have been following this story. First, were the children raised with their mother after their father's disappearance and if so, did her accusations against their father cause disharmony in the household or did the children accept her version early on? Second, was there ever any formal statements given to the police by Lady Lucan? If so, have they always remained the same? Third and final, if Lord Lucan did flee the country, why would he have not simply gone to a country that would not extradite him and then maintain a relationship with his children, who seemed to have been very important to him? Thanks in advance!

She did raise them with the help of other nannies but as they reached their teens all three children left to go live with their aunt, her sister. Someone she was also estranged from at the time of her death.

Perhaps her children had contact with their father after 1974 and they chose to believe his account of events.

Lady Lucan did give an official statement once in 1974.

High society- suicide is acceptable, hiding in another country is not.

Somebody certainly gave those kids a different account of what happened... Someone with influence.

She was such a tragic figure, very sad. She was in a very difficult marriage, with a husband who was a "professional gambler". I think he truly cared for her, but his life was on a downward spiral. From the articles about her biography, it seems she suffered from post-partum depression and ended up being over-medicated by her physicians. They were giving her daily injections of some strong anti-psychotic drugs. Her care would likely be different today with fewer harsh side effects.

In addition to post-partum depression, she was stuck in a marriage with an upper-class gambling addict. Struggling to keep up appearances of his upper class status with no reliable income. Shame on his family and friends for turning her kids against her, telling them Lord Lucan was innocent of the murder. Lady Lucan didn't seem strong enough to stand up to them. They admitted Lucan was a deeply flawed man, but somehow blamed everything on his wife.

She was repeatedly gaslighted by Lucan. I don't think she ever mentally recovered from that. Living the rest of her life knowing that her own children sided with their abusive, murderer father must have been difficult for her. It probably emotionally hardened her even further.

Her children are as horrible as their father, minus the murder part. However, I think they were heavily brainwashed into not believing their mother and seeing her as an enemy.

If Lucan didn't commit suicide shortly after the murders, I believe the theory that he escaped to somewhere in Africa where he was supported by friends for a while. In Africa he could keep a low profile, not be reported by friends or local Africans. There also wouldn't have been gambling establishments for him to gamble at. This is why I don't believe he went to Europe, he would have been unable to stay away from his addiction to gambling, and he would have eventually wanted to be in relationship and live a normal life. Hard to stay undercover in Europe.

_110685416_dailymirror.jpg

:D

Maybe this thread should be amalgamated with

Maybe this thread should be amalgamated with

If I understand the cases correctly, Ms. Rivett's murder remains unsolved and Lord Lucan is still missing. If this is true then the threads should remain as they are (i.e., Rivett- Cold Cases forum & Lucan - MBNF 1970s).

If I understand the cases correctly, Ms. Rivett's murder remains unsolved and Lord Lucan is still missing. If this is true then the threads should remain as they are (i.e., Rivett- Cold Cases forum & Lucan - MBNF 1970s).
Yes they are two seperate (but related) things.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back