Deceased/Not Found IL - Yingying Zhang, 26, Urbana, 9 June 2017 #1 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Portabella...I have never been tased or stun gunned, so I am absolutely fascinated about your experience. You wrote "it never knocked me out." Okay, but did it hinder your ability to move freely? I.e. when it happened, could you have been vulnerable to a further attack/injury? Does a person's size have an affect on the outcome? .. asking if the same amount of voltage used on a 220lb person be more devastating for someone weighing only 100lbs?? (and feel free to ignore my questions if it brings back bad memories, ok.)

Working in Corrections they actually made us stun ourselves. When I worked at the Sheriff Dept prior to my Corrections career we would get giddy on the night shift, I am not a little girl however, so am curious about whether a tiny female might take it differently. My worst time was when i crawled under a desk to get a giant rubber band I had shot at my partner and he stunned me in my butt causing me to fly forward and really get a goose egg on wall or under desk corner. This goes back many years however, that is why I am wondering if they have come a long way over the years....IMHO

I'm surprised the perp didn't try to burn the car or put it in neutral and let it roll down a boat ramp.

We don't actually know the current condition of the car or where it was located, just that it was located.

I wonder why they aren’t releasing the general location where the vehicle was found? I’m guessing that means it was found locally (Urbana-Champaign); surely if it was say 3 states over, or even 20 mi. away, they would want the public to know that and be especially alert in that direction? Hope there is news by morning.

The fact that they aren't asking people in some other community if they have seen the vehicle, its driver or Yingying makes me think it was found in the Champaign-Urbana area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder how they know its "The" car. What I mean is if it was located for example in a mall lot, they would not be positive for quite sometime until no one retrieved it or claimed it. Unless they had a plate number/partial plate number, VIN, or distinguishing marking. I am not saying they don't have the car, I am just wondering where they found it that they are certain its the vehicle in question in this crime...IMHO

We don't actually know the current condition of the car or where it was located, just that it was located.
LILTEXANS Excellent point.... I wondered why the words "has been located" as opposed to "vehicle has been RECOVERED" or IMPOUNDED LOCALLY. For all we know, the vehicle may have been "spotted in another state" by a different agency. When we hear so little, and are hopeful....we want to assume this case is moving at lightning speed. Sadly, comments from hopeful readers, more than 2 weeks ago (Paraphrasing)...."They have the perp and the car on video tape, it will be solved in no time!"
After all these years, I have found it never is that easy.

LILTEXANS Excellent point.... I wondered why the words "has been located" as opposed to "vehicle has been RECOVERED" or IMPOUNDED LOCALLY. For all we know, the vehicle may have been "spotted in another state" by a different agency. When we hear so little, and are hopeful....we want to assume this case is moving at lightning speed. Sadly, comments from hopeful readers, more than 2 weeks ago (Paraphrasing)...."They have the perp and the car on video tape, it will be solved in no time!"

Like the Delphi case, we have video and audio and everyone I think was hopeful it would be a relatively "quick" investigation at the very beginning. And here we are how many months later? Hopeful that the video in this case proves far more useful. Sigh [emoji17]

What scares me if the person being investigated for this kidnapping said to LE: " oh yea, i did see her, I picked her up and we were driving down ____interstate, she said that was far enough to let her off, a friend was picking her up b/c they're nearby, so i let her out, it did seem odd she wanted to get out in the middle of nowhere but she asked to be let out so I had little choice I pulled over, she was a really nice girl, I hope you find her this is just terrible"

LE can prove that the suspect was MIA for 2 days and he can tell them it's absolutely none of your business where I was during those following days, I told you she got out. And unless they can prove some crime, they have to let him walk. Can't arrest someone bc you think their alibi is false, or they don't have an alibi. Ugh, I hope this scenario is not happening. <modsnip> I was just considering possibilities other than a deceased Yingying. Praying!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

That's highly unlikely because her aunt said she had been actively chatting with her family member before the kidnapping. She is a successful scholar, who once comes back to CHINA will receive the reputation and salary she deserves. Her family loves her dearly. <modsnip>

Gosh darnit. I was trying to post a quick update on my iPad but the browser crashed. Thought analysis of this new information should be expeditious in delivery. Hopefully this will post.

Full disclosure: I have successfully completed the verification process. Simply waiting for this to be displayed publicly, when the site's administrator has time.
Today, the FBI released that they had found the car, obviously. They didn't say where or even when. In essence they said, "we just have the car." Upon reviewing the information released today, based upon my training and experience, I would hypothesize that members of the investigative team likely have some confusion still present, to a certain degree.

First, their update is extraordinarily vague. The FBI and it's law enforcement personnel are detail oriented. Every clue counts, as an analogy. Sometimes, their cautious nature translates publicly as ambiguous. For example, if they were to say, "the sky is blue," some may argue that is incorrect; the sky merely appears blue, rather. This gets the public to talk about a case. This leads to my next point. Here, they hadn't released any new substantive information in weeks, prior to today. What does this get the average, everyday citizen to do? Talk about the case. Think about it. Discuss with neighbors.

More importantly, this small piece of information; or lack thereof, shows the investigative team still has some uncertainty regarding the suspect(s), at the very least. Furthermore, by not disclosing the vehicle's dump location, they aren't enlisting the public's help in the area (at least in the traditional press conference sense). Why? If they were "hot on the trail," of an offender, would they have released anything today? I would guess probably not, they hadn't in weeks prior. Why now?

In contrast, the vehicle will possess clues. Even just the geographic area is a clue, at this point. In my opinion, by releasing this information, they have shown they still require the public's assistance. So keep discussing.

Finally, if I were to guess, I would say the vehicle was recovered in a fairly remote or rural area. If it is an urban area, I would guess that it may be concealed, in some sort of manner. Garage? Parking garage? Commuter train lot? Long term hotels or apartments? Anything is possible as it currently stands. In our current era, citizens can listen to law enforcement radio channels on their telephones. Journalists and I'm sure quite a few citizens nationwide, do this frequently. Add in the fact that nearly every single phone has a camera and internet access. What does this equal? More complexity. How can no one find this crime scene, even after hours of this information being out there? That doesn't happen anymore. Cops don't say hey we found the scene without journalists already on location or on the way to that location. That's bizarre.

Lastly, the best news out of all this? The language. The investigators have not once transitioned their language from, "finding," to, "recovering." That means hope still exists. Above all else, it means that the victim and her family may still yet be reunited.

Don't forget: It only takes one thought or tip to help this case. Discussion and disagreement is healthy in civil discourse. So long as it is done effectively and appropriately, It shows that we care. Great posts on this case thus far. I've no doubt that the same quality of posts will continue to be present in light of this new development.

- Nick

A friend of ours daughter went to China to teach and I learned that China is very hard on crime. So I was told, have no knowledge, that there is very little crime in China because when it happens there are very stiff penalties.

That makes me wonder if when students come to the USA they think they are safer than they are and perhaps take chances an American student would not take.

I think Japan is also tough on crime.

As a Chinese I think I can speak for some of us. America is generally perceived in China as the country of liberty, independence and of course much development. If someone is less familiar with the US culture and society, then he might assume America to be much safer than China. But we are generally a safer country for the large population as well. People are always watching, so it's really rare for an adult kidnapping/serious assault to happen in broad daylight. Again, I'm not blaming any country or anyone here. The only evil person in this scenario is the perp himself.

<modsnip>

Yes if she disappeared on her own then it's all going to end well. We can't say anything for sure for the time being. Let's hope she's safe. But it's been almost 20 days, I highly doubt that she just ran away on her own. Her financial condition is no way the best, but she was receiving scholarship from China, which would cover a lot of the expenses.

Like the Delphi case, we have video and audio and everyone I think was hopeful it would be a relatively "quick" investigation at the very beginning. And here we are how many months later? Hopeful that the video in this case proves far more useful. Sigh [emoji17]

(snipping from my post)
"When we hear so little, and are hopeful....we want to assume this case is moving at lightning speed. Sadly, comments from hopeful readers, more than 2 weeks ago (Paraphrasing)...."They have the perp and the car on video tape, it will be solved in no time!"
'
BETH11311 Thank you for one of the saddest and most honest commentaries on just how difficult it is to solve a crime. You are brilliant to note the obvious complications, despite "pictures & recorded voice" in the Delphi case. Heart break beyond words....(I follow Libby & Abby's case on WS)

As always, law enforcement public information phrasing and terminology are key. I utilized the following release to aid in my above analysis.

BLACK SATURN ASTRA USED IN ABDUCTION OF YINGYING ZHANG LOCATED Champaign, IL. - Yingying Zhang, a visiting scholar at the University of Illinois was last seen on Friday, June 9, 2017 in Urbana, Illinois. Security cameras captured her getting into a car at the corner of West Clark Street and North Goodwin Avenue around 2:04 p.m. that day.
The car was described as a black Saturn Astra four-door hatchback. The University of Illinois Police Department and FBI have received numerous leads regarding the vehicle, and we are announcing we have located the vehicle. We will not need any further information from the public regarding the Black Saturn Astra.
We have developed several additional leads and would like to remind the public that this is still an active investigation. We continue to ask the public for information that could lead to locating Ms. Zhang. The FBI continues to offer a reward of up to $10,000 for information leading to the location of Yingying Zhang. Anyone with information can contact 1-800-CALLFBI (1-800-225-5324).

link:http://police.illinois.edu/dpsapp/w...ingying-Zhang-Press-Release-pdf-6-27-2017.pdf

- Nick

That was a very good post, Nick_1. Thank you for sharing your thoughts . I hope that small inkling of hope exists.

Gosh darnit. I was trying to post a quick update on my iPad but the browser crashed. Thought analysis of this new information should be expeditious in delivery. Hopefully this will post.

Full disclosure: I have successfully completed the verification process. Simply waiting for this to be displayed publicly, when the site's administrator has time.
Today, the FBI released that they had found the car, obviously. They didn't say where or even when. In essence they said, "we just have the car." Upon reviewing the information released today, based upon my training and experience, I would hypothesize that members of the investigative team likely have some confusion still present, to a certain degree.

First, their update is extraordinarily vague. The FBI and it's law enforcement personnel are detail oriented. Every clue counts, as an analogy. Sometimes, their cautious nature translates publicly as ambiguous. For example, if they were to say, "the sky is blue," some may argue that is incorrect; the sky merely appears blue, rather. This gets the public to talk about a case. This leads to my next point. Here, they hadn't released any new substantive information in weeks, prior to today. What does this get the average, everyday citizen to do? Talk about the case. Think about it. Discuss with neighbors.

More importantly, this small piece of information; or lack thereof, shows the investigative team still has some uncertainty regarding the suspect(s), at the very least. Furthermore, by not disclosing the vehicle's dump location, they aren't enlisting the public's help in the area (at least in the traditional press conference sense). Why? If they were "hot on the trail," of an offender, would they have released anything today? I would guess probably not, they hadn't in weeks prior. Why now?

In contrast, the vehicle will possess clues. Even just the geographic area is a clue, at this point. In my opinion, by releasing this information, they have shown they still require the public's assistance. So keep discussing.

Finally, if I were to guess, I would say the vehicle was recovered in a fairly remote or rural area. If it is an urban area, I would guess that it may be concealed, in some sort of manner. Garage? Parking garage? Commuter train lot? Long term hotels or apartments? Anything is possible as it currently stands. In our current era, citizens can listen to law enforcement radio channels on their telephones. Journalists and I'm sure quite a few citizens nationwide, do this frequently. Add in the fact that nearly every single phone has a camera and internet access. What does this equal? More complexity. How can no one find this crime scene, even after hours of this information being out there? That doesn't happen anymore. Cops don't say hey we found the scene without journalists already on location or on the way to that location. That's bizarre.

Lastly, the best news out of all this? The language. The investigators have not once transitioned their language from, "finding," to, "recovering." That means hope still exists. Above all else, it means that the victim and her family may still yet be reunited.

Don't forget: It only takes one thought or tip to help this case. Discussion and disagreement is healthy in civil discourse. So long as it is done effectively and appropriately, It shows that we care. Great posts on this case thus far. I've no doubt that the same quality of posts will continue to be present in light of this new development.

- Nick

My guess is they identified a number of black Saturn astra owners whose vehicles matched the description. They were in the process of interviewing these people, and narrowing down their search. In the process of that investigation, they received tips from the public. One or more of the tips tied into one of the people they were looking at closely. They obtained a probable cause warrant to search that person's vehicle. It was impounded, forensically tested, and identifiied as the vehicle that Yingying was spotted entering.

The suspect has either admitted to giving Ms. Zhang a ride, but says he dropped her off somewhere (typical BS story), or he asked for a lawyer and refused further questioning.

So, LE has the vehicle but no Yingying, and they are sure they know who abducted her. They have him under 24/7 surveillance. But they are still searching for her and gathering evidence before hopefully bringing charges.

My guess is they identified a number of black Saturn astra owners whose vehicles matched the description. They were in the process of interviewing these people, and narrowing down their search. In the process of that investigation, they received tips from the public. One or more of the tips tied into one of the people they were looking at closely. They obtained a probable cause warrant to search that person's vehicle. It was impounded, forensically tested, and identifiied as the vehicle that Yingying was spotted entering.

The suspect has either admitted to giving Ms. Zhang a ride, but says he dropped her off somewhere (typical BS story), or he asked for a lawyer and refused further questioning.

So, LE has the vehicle but no Yingying, and they are sure they know who abducted her. They have him under 24/7 surveillance. But they are still searching for her and gathering evidence before hopefully bringing charges.
You articulated this so much better than I did lol I've got to learn to slow down and think b4 I post. I created an entire dialogue in my post trying to explain this scenario earlier. I'm so afraid this is exactly what happen and he has just denied any involvement outside of giving her a ride. He may have even come frwd without being discovered 1st. His thinking would be, if he contacts LE, they can't portray him as a villan bc he came to them.

You articulated this so much better than I did lol I've got to learn to slow down and think b4 I post.

Oh I don't know about that. I'm drinking quite heavily and my posting will surely deteriorate at some point in time.

If it weren't for the red squiggly lines under the words, I don't know how I'd ever get by.

Oh I don't know about that. I'm drinking quite heavily and my posting will surely deteriorate at some point in time.

If it weren't for the red squiggly lines under the words, I don't know how I'd ever get by.
It's working! They are red dots, not squiggly lines. :drumroll:

That language helps ensure that someone in a foreign country with information about this crime will take the information to the appropriate agency and not to their local law enforcement.

I think the point the poster was making is that this type of language being included at all by the FBI indicates the possibility that foreign influence may have played a part in this. After all, if the FBI feels that someone in a foreign country potentially has information regarding this crime, then it more than likely wouldn't be a state or local matter, but rather an international one.

JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members