Deceased/Not Found IL - Yingying Zhang, 26, Urbana, 9 June 2017 #2 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
[video=twitter;880575522870149120]https://twitter.com/cnntoday/status/880575522870149120[/video]

I feel like people have a false sense of security when they take rides from strangers, thinking they are in public, and they can just jump out of the car if something bad happens. But criminals do have the ability to lock the car from the inside. Once you're in the vehicle, if you want out it may not be possible.
You're right. Also because it's extremely rare to abduct an adult in broad daylight. I guess we normally assume bad things can only happen at night.

[video=twitter;880573439710556160]https://twitter.com/GerronJordan/status/880573439710556160[/video]

So what do you think is the implication of this? In my mind, it's just that she was at work or home on wifi, and then sent the last message when she was out. Is it as simple as that? I love learning about this stuff from people who know more than I do (which is most of you!).
MILLHOUSE, MillieHouse (sounds less stringent:blushing:) This is what I know (according to google) you can always text from a cell phone...you don't need the internet or wifi to use it. Versus " As long as you’re connected to the internet, you can use WhatsApp as long as you want. You can also participate in group chats in WhatsApp and even send photos and videos to your contacts – something that you can’t do in regular text messaging."
Looking at the "traditional text messages from Yingying" it appears she was using her cell phone and not her computer to report her progress/lateness to the individual claiming to be representing the apt complex.
However, messages from the apartment leasing agent appeared to present in a different format, like WHAT'S APP? As long as you’re connected to the internet, you can use WhatsApp as long as you want. You can also participate in group chats in WhatsApp and even send photos and videos to your contacts – something that you can’t do in regular text messaging. Then again, it may be something as simple as a change in the presentation of the borders on the phone/international vs US based.
(My bp goes off the Richter when I think about tech communications. I have relatives who can't figure out how to use common sense safety, but could probably launch a rocket ship with their I-phone tech knowledge.)

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...her-in-Maury-County-13-March-2017-18-*ARREST*

Have you guys read about the ET case? Do you think it's possible that Yingying was taken out of Illinois to a far away place like E? I think the perp has at least two cars, maybe stolen ones.

I think the cases are very different, but that's just my opinion based on the very little we know in Yingying's case. The case in Tennessee involved a vulnerable teenage girl who was groomed by her teacher. Yingying is not a child and we have no evidence that she was kidnapped by anyone she knew. In the Tennessee case, both the victim and her kidnapper went missing. Are there any men who have been reported missing (and who are still missing) from Urbana since June 9th?

[video=twitter;880630401479438336]https://twitter.com/news_gazette/status/880630401479438336[/video]

[video=twitter;880575194347298816]https://twitter.com/GerronJordan/status/880575194347298816[/video]

[video=twitter;880628346480209920]https://twitter.com/GerronJordan/status/880628346480209920[/video]

School rallies around family of missing Chinese student

Zhang’s father issued a plea earlier Thursday to those responsible for his daughter’s disappearance: Let her go and I’ll forgive you.

“The family hopes the kidnappers would not hurt her and know she is really well loved by family and friends,” her father told CNN through a translator Thursday. “Let her go, let her come back as soon as possible.”

People walk to support the Zhang family

Students, faculty, and people who didn't even know her gathered for a campus walk dedicated to Zhang. The family told everybody at the walk that it meant so much to them to have people they didn't even know there to support them and Yingying.

Campus walk to support search for missing scholar

The walk, hosted by the University of Illinois chapter of the Chinese Students and Scholars Association, began and ended at the Krannert Center for the Performing Arts. Participants walked past the laboratory where Zhang walked, as well as the bus stop where she was last seen.

Missing student’s family has theories on disappearance

Yingying Zhang is so cautious, she warned her aunt in China to “be careful” when going out and to avoid using shared ride services.

“You never know who it is,” Liqin Ye recalled her niece saying.

“It could be because she is here, and she felt that the campus is very safe, and therefore she was less guarded,” Ye said Thursday.

“The other reason could be because she was to sign a lease with the landlord, and she was late, and so she was eager to be there on time,” the aunt said.”And that, perhaps, sort of triggered her to decide to get into the car. We can’t think of any other reason that she would randomly jump into a stranger’s car.”

“Her mom … being a mom, is obviously reluctant to let her go afar,” Zhang’s aunt said. “And her mom’s thought is kind of a traditional way … ‘This is the age for you to get married, have a family. There’s no need to go this far, to the United States.’ “

But Zhang’s father “was always a supporter in whatever her dream is.”

Her dream, ever since she was a little girl, was to become a university professor.

“To be a faculty member in China, there are certain qualifications you have to meet, and as part of that you have to have broad experience in terms of your research and your study,” Ye said. “And that’s probably what motivated her to want to come to the United States.”

Zhang also knew that the United States had the most cutting-edge research in her field, environmental sciences, her aunt said.

Despite being so far from home, “her perspective is it’s generally safe in the United States,” Ye said.

So what do you think is the implication of this? In my mind, it's just that she was at work or home on wifi, and then sent the last message when she was out. Is it as simple as that? I love learning about this stuff from people who know more than I do (which is most of you!).

That typically occurs when a phone is off.

As a big believer in data driven research, I was wondering if anyone has found any similar cases, nationwide? Utilizing the following parameters, trying to "check" as many boxes as possible. The last 5-10 years is likely the most applicable.

First, adults, ages twenty to thirty, missing in the region for longer than a month. Second, adults, ages twenty to thirty, who were last seen only during the hours of 8 AM- 8 PM (roughly). Third, international college students. Fourth, kidnappings (true kidnappings that were adjudicated), between the ages of twenty to thirty. Fifth, international students who were reported missing in the last five years and have not been found.

I can't find a good comparison or analog to this case, anywhere. I've been looking for weeks. Can any of you find any cases that bear the aforementioned similarities to this one?

There is no reason to believe this was targeted towards an international student, the prior reports of a black car attempting to lure young women were from Americans. Your criteria in 3 and 5, in my opinion, should be altered to "young women" instead of "international students" to more accurately represent the targets of the person who did this. As is, your attempt will probably restrict the search too far to have any usefulness

There is no reason to believe this was targeted towards an international student, the prior reports of a black car attempting to lure young women were from Americans. Your criteria in 3 and 5, in my opinion, should be altered to "young women" instead of "international students" to more accurately represent the targets of the person who did this. As is, your attempt will probably restrict the search too far to have any usefulness

Either can have that substituted in.

Yingying Zhang is so cautious, she warned her aunt in China to “be careful” when going out and to avoid using shared ride services.

“You never know who it is,” Liqin Ye recalled her niece saying.

“It could be because she is here, and she felt that the campus is very safe, and therefore she was less guarded,” Ye said Thursday.

“The other reason could be because she was to sign a lease with the landlord, and she was late, and so she was eager to be there on time,” the aunt said.”And that, perhaps, sort of triggered her to decide to get into the car. We can’t think of any other reason that she would randomly jump into a stranger’s car.”

Seems entirely plausible to me. She gets comfortable in the University environment, lets her guard down and the friendly private taxi driver lures her over to the vehicle. That the vehicle has been located leads me to believe whoever did this will most certainly be tracked down at some point. That car is full of his DNA just by virtue of him having driven it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flintinsects