GUILTY Canada - Terry, 27, & Hailey Blanchette, 2, Blairmore, AB, 14 Sept 2015 #3

Thanks Kamille for posting the tweets from the judges instruction and verdict. I like have a company picture.

What a tough trial. I'm happy it came to a speedy resolution.

Kevin Martin‏Verified account @KMartinCourts 4h4 hours ago
Back in Lethbridge Court of Queen's Bench for sentencing hearing for triple murderer Derek #Saretzky. Set to begin at 10 a.m.

Court will hear six victim impact statements, two read in by their authors, the other four by Crown prosecutor Photini Papadatou. #Saretzky

Seven of the 12 jurors who convicted #Saretzky of three counts of first-degree murder are in court for his sentencing hearing.

Kevin Martin‏Verified account @KMartinCourts 3h3 hours ago
Soul issue Justice William Tilleman will decide today is the length of #Saretzky's parole ineligibility, could be 75 years.

Court just underway. #Saretzky

The victims are more important than the law, Tilleman says, of issue over one statement being inappropriate. #Saretzky

"Being a mother was a blessing that was stolen from me," wrote Cheyenne Dunbar, whose daughter Hailey was murdered by #Saretzky

"She was my reason for living," Cheyenne Dunbar says of loss of daughter, Hailey. #Saretzky

"He stole not just one, but two pieces of our souls," Amanda Blanchette wrote, of losing brother Terry, and niece Hailey. #Saretzky

"There is nothing Godly in what he did," Amanda Blanchette says. #Saretzky

"Derek killed my mother and took it all away from me," said Hanne Meketech's daughter. #Saretzky

"I'm afraid all the time," says Hailey Dunbar-Blanchette's grandmother. "I still have nightmares." #Saretzky

"All my days are not the same any more," says Hailey's grandmother. #Saretzky

"I will never hear her say the words 'Iove you,"" says Hailey's grandmother. #Saretzky

Meketech's good friend Carrie Morency now speaking. #Saretzky

"Hanne had a family," says Morency. #Saretzky

No sign of any emotion from #Saretzky as victim impact statements read into court.

Meketech had been estranged from her daughter but they had been reconnected for the final year of her life, Morency says. #Saretzky

"It is very important they we hear about Hanne Meketech," says Morency. #Saretzky

Meketech's soul beneficiary was Ronald MacDonald House, because she cared so much about children, says Morency. #Saretzky

"There is a bond between moms and daughters that no one can understand," Morency says. #Saretzky

"Remember those hellos, how are yous," Morency says. #Saretzky

Meketech had a great love for animals. "They were her life," Morency says of Hanne's pets. #Saretzky

"They knew Hanne was no longer there," Morency says of animals that would come visit Meketech's home. #Saretzky

"A devastating angry uncertain time for me," a tearful Morency says of losing Meketech. #Saretzky

"Please do not grieve and shed wild tears," Morency says, #Saretzky

"Hanne's safely home among the angels," says Morency. #Saretzky

"You have destroyed everything we knew and felt safe with," Morency tells #Saretzky.

Morency has "hate that I can never explain to myself." #Saretzky

"You are an animal and a beast," Morency tells #Saretzky

"My tears are sanity in an insane world and it's okay to cry," Morency says. #Saretzky

"Mr. Saretzky you are living in a hell a hell of fear and anxiety," says Morency. #Saretzky

"You are living in this hell because you created it," Morency tells #Saretzky

Morency thanks jurors and all those involved in the case. #Saretzky

"I have to say thank you, and Hanne also thanks you." #Saretzky

"Tomorrow's going to be a great day, a day of new beginning," Morency says. #Saretzky

https://twitter.com/KMartinCourts

Defence counsel Patrick Edgerton says portion of next victim impact statement should be redacted. #Saretzky

Crown prosecutor Michael Fox says nothing in next statement, which calls #Saretzky a coward, is against the law.

A final victim impact statement from woman who #Saretzky disclosed to her what he did may not qualify as admissible, says Crown,

Court takes brief adjournment. #Saretzky

Court now resuming. #Saretzky

Tilleman says purpose of victim impact statements is to allow victims to speak. #Saretzky

Now hearing victim impact statement of Terry Blanchette's mother, Pamela Eiseman. #Saretzky

Victims killed in a "most powerfully monstrous" way, says Eiseman. #Saretzky

Eiseman refused to call #Saretzky by name, instead calling him a coward. Crown will refer to him as the accused.

"Two beautiful human beings have been senselessly taken from us," says Eiseman. #Saretzky

"My heart goes out to the #Saretzky family, they are blameless," says Eiseman,

Last victim impact statement is by Melisa Eye. "The crime ... has hurt me in so many ways that I don't know where to begin." #Saretzky

Eye is a correctional officer who #Saretzky made disclosures to about his crimes.

Crown leaves out portions of Eye's statement. Tilleman agrees with that decision. #Saretzky

"To the families there is no winners in this," says Eye. "I think of Terry and Hailey daily." #Saretzky

"Derek #Saretzky you will eventually meet your maker," Eye says in victim impact statement.

Patrick Edgerton advises court #Saretzky will not be saying anything.

https://twitter.com/KMartinCourts

Meghan Grant‏Verified account @CBCMeg 10h10 hours ago
Melissa Eye's victim impact statement is next. She was a remand guard who #Saretzky confessed to

He described to Eye the gruesome details, she says. #Saretzky

Eye said #Saretzky had initially tried to portray himself as meek & mild

Eye says she's anxious, paranoid #Saretzky

To Dunbar & Blanchette families: I think of Terry and Hailey daily. To the #Saretzky family : hope you are treated w/ respect

Eye says she hopes the images haunt #Saretzky "every single night for the rest of your life"

https://twitter.com/CBCMeg?lang=en

Don't think I've ever seen a correctional officer being given the chance to make a victim impact statement regarding a prisoner that they had contact with on the job. What kind of monster is this guy that he's shaken a correctional officer to the core, enough to warrant her giving a victim impact statement at his trial?

Meghan Grant‏Verified account @CBCMeg 10h10 hours ago
Victim impact statements done. Crown seeking life sentence w/ no parole for 75 years #Saretzky

Defence lawyer says #Saretzky does not want to make a statement

Judge tells prosecutor Michael Fox to speak up, says jury was right. Jury had sent letter to judge w/ same request. Jurors laugh #Saretzky

"Mr. #Saretzky concocted, created, devised a plan to execute three people," said Fox

Fox argues Hanne's killing "was in fact practice" #Saretzky

"Do you think I'll have a chance if I plead insanity? I think I'm going to try," #Saretzky had told police during confession

Fox gets emotional when talking about #Saretzky statement that he didn't think anyone cared about Meketech

Fox says Hailey, the toddler, was part of #Saretzky plan all along.

Crown: why leave Hailey alive for a couple of hours? He was building fire. All planned. #Saretzky

Fox: Callousness defies comparison to any other case that I've been able to find. Moral culpability at the highest level. #Saretzky

Aggravating factors: Hanne vulnerable, attacked at night, Blanchette attacked in his bed #Saretzky

Fox: I can't imagine a more vulnerable victim than a 33 month old child sleeping in her own crib #Saretzky

Fox: Brutal nature of each of these murders has to be considered #Saretzky

Fox: "There is no possible explanation for this #Saretzky

"...other than the suggestion that Mr. #Saretzky thought he had to enhance his own health by [cannibalizing toddler]"

Fox: "For many parts of this trial, Mr. #Saretzky has had a smile on his face."

"His conduct betrays any suggestion that he harbours any true remorse," said Fox #Saretzky

Fox is choking up again. He's asked for 5 year concurrent sentence on indignity to body conviction #Saretzky

Crown going over caselaw now. Citing Garland murder now. Three people also killed in this case including a child #Saretzky

Crown to judge: You have a cold calculated plan put in place, targeting three innocent victims who were brutally killed #Saretzky

Fox: The victims "were mere pawns of Mr. #Saretzky's thrill seeking and unspeakable violence"

Fox: There is simply no precedent in Canadian law for circumstances like this #Saretzky

Crown done his sentencing submissions. Defence to deliver his in an hour #Saretzky

Meghan Grant‏Verified account @CBCMeg 8h8 hours ago
In court waiting for the afternoon session. Defence sentencing arguments might not take place today #Saretzky

Court in session #Saretzky

Defence lawyer Patrick Edgerton says a number of issues arose during Crown sentencing submissions #Saretzky

"I can not appropriately respond today". Asking to do written submissions for his sentencing by July 14 #Saretzky

July 20 would be for Crown response. Crown says "we have nothing to say" about defence proposal #Saretzky

There were some sighs in the courtroom about this proposal #Saretzky

Judge needs a few minutes to consider this #Saretzky

Other short break as judge leaves ti think of request. "Get it done," I hear one person say as they walk out of courtroom.#Saretzky

Judge back in courtroom now #Saretzky

Short break again as judge checks his calendar to see if Aug 9 and 10 work for #Saretzky sentencing

Judge is back. "It must be a big issue for the defence so I'm going to adjourn this. #Saretzky will be sentenced Aug. 9 9am

Defence, "I want to apologize to the court. Judge interrupts: You've conducted yourself very well throughout"#Saretzky

July 14 for defence submissions/ July 20 for crown response/ Aug. 9 back in court #Saretzky to remain in custody.

Thanks for the tweets, Kamille.

I still feel unsettled about the motive. It's hard to fathom that a human can be so evil and senseless.

[video=twitter;880581507802443779]https://twitter.com/CTVLethbridge/status/880581507802443779[/video]

:crying: :hug:

This has been the most horrific trial I have followed. I thought the Douglas Garland trial was horrendous, and it was, but this one just seems to have gotten right inside me. I actually wished I hadn't followed it.

I think of the families daily. I just don't know how they move on after all of this. My heart breaks for Cheyenne.

I feel bad for everyone involved having to wait till August for sentencing. I am sure everyone was hoping for some closure before the Canada Day Weekend. Hugs to the families and hug your own a little tighter.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/0...rta-tr_a_23006680/?ncid=fcbklnkcahpmg00000001

Fourteen jurors heard all the evidence, but only 12 got to determine guilt and two were randomly dismissed as alternates. The jury had requested all 14 be allowed to decide Saretzky fate, but the judge refused, saying Canadian law doesn't allow more than 12 to decide the verdict.

"It's not right to treat people this way,'' the dismissed female juror yelled at Justice William Tilleman. "You have us come against our will and then show us the door. It's not right.''

"I've heard that from a number of jurors saying that in some ways (it) is barbaric — the feeling that I sat through months and months of this and am told through a lottery that I'm not the one to see this through.''

I want to thank you for posting the tweets of the trial. Well done.
I feel like they left a lot of things out.

Nancy Hixt‏Verified account @NancyHixt 45s45 seconds ago
Justice Tilleman thanks crown and defence for their work on #Saretzky case

Patrick Burles‏ @PatrickBurles 42s42 seconds ago
#Saretzky has been brought into the courtroom. He smiled and waved at family in the gallery as he entered.

[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]

Nancy Hixt‏Verified account @NancyHixt 3m3 minutes ago
#Saretzky receives an automatic life sentence w/no chance of parole for at least 25 years. Crown wants consecutive sentencing

Nancy Hixt‏Verified account @NancyHixt 3m3 minutes ago
#Saretzky is wearing a blue prison jumpsuit. He sits in the prisoners box with his back to the courtroom

Patrick Burles‏ @PatrickBurles 3m3 minutes ago
When asked if #Saretzky has anything to say to the court, defence lawyer Patrick Edgerton says "No sir."

Justice Tilleman says he will deliver his decision at 10:00 #Saretzky

Nancy Hixt‏Verified account @NancyHixt 14m14 minutes ago
Tilleman giving written decision now #Saretzky

"The entire area of the Crowsnest Pass was on edge" Tilleman said of case, "it chilled us all" #Saretzky

Tilleman going through impact of #Saretzky crimes "she is consumed by sadness and heartbreak" he said of Hailey's mother Cheyenne Dunbar

Tilleman going through what each of the victim impact statements said--those statements were given at last court date in June #Saretzky

Justice Tilleman is going through the law as it relates to sentencing #Saretzky

Tilleman is talking about concurrent vs consecutive sentencing. #Saretzky

#Saretzky receives automatic life sentence no parole 25yrs--what is TBD is if he gets consecutive or concurrent parole ineligibilities

Tilleman notes the difference in concurrent vs consecutive is significant. If consecutive #Saretzky would truly spend entire life in prison

Tilleman says if consecutive sentencing "Mr. #Saretzky would be almost 100 years old" before he is eligible for parole

Tilleman says he agrees with jurors recommendation to be sentenced consecutively-with no parole for 75 years #Saretzky

Tilleman continues to read his decision--and points at planning and deliberation as aggravating factors #Saretzky

Patrick Burles‏ @PatrickBurles 1m1 minute ago
Tilleman continuing to go over sentencing factors. Says #Saretzky had "days and days" to consider his actions after murder of Hanne

Nancy Hixt‏Verified account @NancyHixt 54s55 seconds ago
Tilleman of #Saretzky "I am satisfied he is dangerous

Bill Graveland‏Verified account @BillGraveland 5m5 minutes ago
Judge says Saretzky had time to think about his actionsnfor days after killing Hanne Meketech but still killed two more people.

Tilleman says #Saretzky "gained momentum" as he carried out his murders

Bill Graveland‏Verified account @BillGraveland 2m2 minutes ago
Judge says Saretzky showed no remorse for his actions. Says he had a chance to address the court but declined.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMR0715
Back