Found Alive NC - Allison Cope, 24, Raleigh, 26 June 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have any insight into how well RDU Authority PD handles investigations like this? They're the lead agency handling her disappearance, but I find it concerning since their jurisdiction is so limited. My understanding is that's why FBI, SBI, RPD and Wake County were initially contacted and assisted in the search. But with RDU as lead, now what?

Other than friends still looking for her, which LE agency is currently conducting active searches?

1) I understand the FBI being involved initially due to the airport angle. But once police announced in no uncertain terms that there was no crime committed on airport grounds why did they stay involved at this level?

2) why and how were they able to search the home and computers so quickly? Is it true or not true that the roommates permission would be sufficient to do both?

I've completely changed my mind from thinking she ran off for a mental break to thinking she was harmed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'm thinking the FBI is still involved because, even though they feel confident she left the airport on her own, the original disappearance occurred there. Also, we are not privvy to all of the info and there very well could be a component that occurred there. Ie: another employee issue, unusual activity at work etc.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I actually wondered if somebody was hiding in the car and made her get gas and go into the gas station and "act normal" so that when the debit card showed up with the surveillance videos and she looked like everything was fine, the LE would not investigate any further and presume she was just going off by herself.

I'm very concerned and fear for her safety. Even if the gas stop wasn't so cleverly orchestrated, I think she's in trouble and I'm relieved it's being taken seriously.

While this is certainly a possibility, it seems very probable that she was alone in the car at the Shell station, or at least she did not feel she was in danger at that time. I understand that we all respond to circumstances differently, but if I was inside a public place in the middle of the afternoon (she likely was not the only customer in the store at that time), and there was someone attempting to harm me in my car parked outside, everybody within shouting distance would know it. Also, rather than hide in the car and tell Allison to go inside and act like nothing is wrong, or else...someone attempting to harm her would be far more likely to walk in with her, and tell her to act like nothing is wrong, or else....after all, she is going to be on cam either way. Also, in this day and age, there are very few places you can go and not be on a cam, somewhere. If LE wants to know for sure if she was alone in the car, I am sure there are businesses that have cams that point into common areas and streets and such. It should not be too difficult to ask area businesses along the routes between RDU and the Shell station to just review cams from that time period and see if anything of interest is shown. We probably would be somewhat alarmed if we ever realized just how difficult it probably is to actually AVOID being on a cam. JMO

I actually wondered if somebody was hiding in the car and made her get gas and go into the gas station and "act normal" so that when the debit card showed up with the surveillance videos and she looked like everything was fine, the LE would not investigate any further and presume she was just going off by herself.

I'm very concerned and fear for her safety. Even if the gas stop wasn't so cleverly orchestrated, I think she's in trouble and I'm relieved it's being taken seriously.

I really don't believe anyone was hiding in her car. I don't think anyone could make me believe that. However, I did bold the statement I can believe. My opinion is either it was orchestrated on some level or she was in an accident and she and her car have yet to be found.

There are currently twice as many guests following this thread as there are members. Please consider coming out of lurking and joining us so we can hear your thoughts.

In my experience here, things always look weird ... and non-suspects always start to get the side-eye, when someone is voluntarily missing. You start to see things where there aren't things. Our minds try to make sense of the pieces not fitting. Friends and family don't want to believe it. We can start to talk ourselves into some pretty outlandish theories, just to feel better or try to make it make sense. It never will. Voluntary missing is one of the hardest situations to deal with on Websleuths. While this case is sad and scary, I will say it seems very straightforward and typical of other VM cases I've followed over the years here.

Back to sitting on my hands.
Sorry ro be such a block head but what do mean by "sitting on my hands". I've read that several times in different threads and was never quite sure of it's meaning.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

It has been stated recently in published reports that wrapper may have been removed and it does not appear visible in the gas station (although it has been pointed out on here that distortion could make in seem not be be visible in the video when it actually there). But I agree, unless she pulled off on a back road and her car is hidden from casual view that the big banner on the rear of the car would make it very distinctive.

I know the roommate reported the banner when she described the car and then stated in an interview that it looked like it may have been taken off her car. But she could have taken it off at the airport, at the gas station, that previous Sunday night or days before she went missing. I wonder if the airport cameras show it there at one point and gone at another. It's possible the banner wasn't even on there when she went to work.

Colleen Stan, in 1977, was kidnapped. She was held captive for 7 years as a sex slave.

During those 7 years, she was allowed to go shopping, visit her family, and on one occasion, she even brought her kidnapper to her parents house as her "boyfriend," and took a seemingly "happy" photograph in his arms. Her parents thought Stan had joined a cult, explaining the distance and absence. They had no idea.

Now, how did Stan do all of this without ever telling anyone that she was being held? Because the kidnappers used strong and psychological tactics and cognitive conditioning in order to make her feel that Stan was powerless no matter who she spoke to, or what she said. They claimed she was being watched by "The Company" no matter where she went, and that if she acted in disobedience, her family would be tortured and killed.

Imagine what such a threat would mean to her if it was made in reference towards her family in California, her roommates, or the Pit Bulls she loves so dearly.

While these cases are incredibly rare, there is no way to rule out such a scenario for certain under the current facts.

I honestly think she is stressed above kidnapping.
1. She left her phone and it has already been examined by pd. If someone had tried to lure her there, then she would probably had that text, or unknown number on her phone, unless she was lured out by a number of a friend.
2. She looks to me like she has lost quite a bit of weight. Others think it's the camera angle, I disagree. She very well could be very stressed. 3 businesses she is involved in working. That's a lot!
3. Too much emphases put on how loyal/reliable she is. Sometimes, because you are looked on that way, you feel the need to always be "on" and do what is expected. (I have this issue in my family) it's a lot of pressure.
4. If looking at the surveillance videos, as we go through this thread, we have discussed the following : she has on sunglasses, no it looks like heavy eye make-up and She's been crying. She has had, a bottle of ketchup in her hand, a folded paper towel, an upside down drink bottle, wallet, phone, key fob!!! The point I'm getting to is this. The videos are always grainy. Much of the time they pick up a lot of shadow. I don't think we can say she looks distressed by these. So, probably neither does anyone else. Usually these videos are cleaned up by the FBI if they feel this could be a big clue.

I think there is a lot more the police have a clue about, that we just don't know to form their opinion about, leaving alone from the airport, not being distressed, and the areas they are looking. There are still so many points in between. Supposedly there is a camera not in the lot of the airport but, there is one at the gate she would swipe from. [I'm going to try to find which article has the comments from another employee who uses the same lot. I believe it is on a FB news report. Going to look now.
These are only my observations and opinions of course. I, like all of us try to figure a different scenario to these cases. We do often think too hard and clues are right under our noses.

Colleen Stan, in 1977, was kidnapped. She was held captive for 7 years as a sex slave.

During those 7 years, she was allowed to go shopping, visit her family, and on one occasion, she even brought her kidnapper to her parents house as her "boyfriend," and took a seemingly "happy" photograph in his arms. Her parents thought Stan had joined a cult, explaining the distance and absence. They had no idea.

Now, how did Stan do all of this without ever telling anyone that she was being held? Because the kidnappers used strong and psychological tactics and cognitive conditioning in order to make her feel that Stan was powerless no matter who she spoke to, or what she said. They claimed she was being watched by "The Company" no matter where she went, and that if she acted in disobedience, her family would be tortured and killed.

Imagine what such a threat would mean to her if it was made in reference towards her family in California, her roommates, or the Pit Bulls she loves so dearly.

While these cases are incredibly rare, there is no way to rule out such a scenario for certain under the current facts.
Often these people are held until the kidnapper feels they have sufficiently terrified them enough. Kind of like brainwashing them. Mental torture of sorts. And.. wouldn't you think, that would be a stroke of luck for some STRANGER to obtain her info to threaten her? That sounds like too much coincidence to be a random person.

While this is certainly a possibility, it seems very probable that she was alone in the car at the Shell station, or at least she did not feel she was in danger at that time. I understand that we all respond to circumstances differently, but if I was inside a public place in the middle of the afternoon (she likely was not the only customer in the store at that time), and there was someone attempting to harm me in my car parked outside, everybody within shouting distance would know it. Also, rather than hide in the car and tell Allison to go inside and act like nothing is wrong, or else...someone attempting to harm her would be far more likely to walk in with her, and tell her to act like nothing is wrong, or else....after all, she is going to be on cam either way. Also, in this day and age, there are very few places you can go and not be on a cam, somewhere. If LE wants to know for sure if she was alone in the car, I am sure there are businesses that have cams that point into common areas and streets and such. It should not be too difficult to ask area businesses along the routes between RDU and the Shell station to just review cams from that time period and see if anything of interest is shown. We probably would be somewhat alarmed if we ever realized just how difficult it probably is to actually AVOID being on a cam. JMO

Hmm, I think you're right. It seems highly probable that she was alone in the car at the Shell station or that she didn't feel in danger then.

I'm curious as to what information led to the searches on Falls Lake and in the Falls Lake area. It seems that LE -- and the roommates -- likely have some information that has pointed them both toward investigating Falls Lake and the wooded areas around Falls Lake.

And, the information must have been concerning since the roommate spent 3 hours in a helicopter over Falls Lake, the sheriffs had boat or boats on the water searching, and the rescue group had dogs and volunteers searching on the ground and in the wooded areas around Falls Lake.

Agree. Don't think that the perpetrator, if there is one, is a stranger. Think it's somebody that she trusted.

I've spent a lot of time on Craigslist, searching for 2014/2015 silver Ford Fusions for sale in North Carolina. We know that Ms. Cope's purchase was in the amount of $23.52, and that it was all that she had left in her account. Several news articles have claimed that Ms. Cope only purchased gas at the station. Ms. Cope would need money if she was planning on staying alive.

Assuming that Ms. Cope did in fact remove the "Change of Heart Pit Bull Rescue" sticker from the rear of her car, it's entirely possible that she was, or is, planning to sell her car.

Under the "voluntary missing" theory that has been previously asserted, selling her vehicle would provide enough money to help grant her a new start, or fund an escape.

If she is staying with someone (a close friend who may be willing to keep her hidden), then she could be cared for while waiting to make the transaction.

If she has been abducted by a friend-turned-enemy, then her car also may be sold in order to maximize any potential gains sought by the abductor.

Sorry ro be such a block head but what do mean by "sitting on my hands". I've read that several times in different threads and was never quite sure of it's meaning.

Not attempting to speak for anyone else, but usually when I see the term, I take it to mean the poster really would love to say something, but it would violate TOS, or might not come off as polite or sensitive, or perhaps their opinion may just clash with the "popular" opinion as to what happened, so they just "sit on their hands" to fight the urge to tackle that keyboard and start posting something that they feel they shouldn't. That is what I mean when I type it. (though I should probably sit on my hands more often than I do).

Not attempting to speak for anyone else, but usually when I see the term, I take it to mean the poster really would love to say something, but it would violate TOS, or might not come off as polite or sensitive, so they just "sit on their hands" to fight the urge to tackle that keyboard and start posting something that they feel they shouldn't. That is what I mean when I type it. (though I should probably sit on my hands more often than I do).
Thank you. That's what I was thinking. I'm almost always intrigued that the person 'sitting on their hands" knows more than they are saying but I'm equally frustrated when they don't reveal what it is.

Thank you. That's what I was thinking. I'm almost always intrigued that the person 'sitting on their hands" knows more than they are saying but I'm equally frustrated when they don't reveal what it is.

I'm getting to that point in my life that if I sit on my hands long, both my hands AND my butt would fall asleep, and I would probably quickly fall out of my seat. :p

It has been stated in the media that they have lived together for a long time, I think for about 10 years.

So, since AC was 14? That doesn't seem to add up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, since AC was 14? That doesn't seem to add up.

I thought the same thing as you when I first saw that posted, and still think there has to be a back story if it is true, but I suppose that when the roommate was married to Allison's brother, they could have lived in the home with Allison and her mother/parents. Another thought is that Allison could have moved out of her home to go and live with them, though at 14, that seems unlikely unless she was a runaway. JMO

We haven't heard anything from her Mom yet?

I definitely don't believe she was abducted from the beginning. Something could have happened to her since then but we have no evidence to suggest that's how it started. I'm sure there would be evidence on her phone if she was lured out of the airport by someone intending to kidnap her or do her harm. If she is voluntarily missing, she is likely stressed and not acting like her usual self. I have know quite a few people who behave very differently during extremely stressful times in their lives.

There is the slightest possibility someone has abducted her but it's certainly the least likely scenario at this point. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flintinsects