Dentals: Available
Fingerprints: Not Available
DNA: Available
Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Blue jeans, navy blue hooded sweatshirt and tennis shoes
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown

Circumstances of Disappearance
Schulte was last seen in Nampa, Idaho on March 25, 1977. Her husband reported her missing to Nampa Police. He reported that his wife Diane Schulte, was last seen at home at 07.20 on the morning of March 25, 1977. When he returned home from work, he noticed that the car was still at home and the mail was still in the box. A UPS package was also on the porch of the residence. All of Diane Schulte’s belongings were still at home. Her purse and money were at home as well. Diane had never been missing like this before.

Investigating Agency(s)
Agency Name: Nampa Police Department
Agency Contact Person: Detective Brice King
Agency Phone Number: 208-947-8703
Agency E-Mail: king@cityofnampa.us
Agency Case Number: 47031
NCIC Case Number: M012606992
NamUs Case Number: 2065

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I read the articles (which were very thorough), and this is what I gathered in addition to some personal opinion:

- Diane was known to be extremely introverted, which pretty much rules out the possibility that she left of her own accord with another person.This suggests that she was either abducted or that she left of her own accord by herself. The former seems to be more probable, as she left behind her watch and wedding ring, which according to her husband 'she would only behind when she was going out for a short period of time'.

- Diane was interested in [FONT=&quot]macramé ([/FONT]the art of knotting string in patterns to make decorative articles). There is a possibility that she may be carrying pieces of jewelry or articles that she wove herself, such as bands or bracelets.

- Diane was only known to frequent two places in Nampa (The Post Office and the Public Library). She and her husband lived on Delaware Avenue, so I have tried to visualize the route she may have taken (the post office and library are on adjacent blocks).
attachment.php

It is possible that between these two points Diane may have been abducted.

- She was last seen wearing a navy-blue sweatshirt (with a hood), blue jeans and yellow tennis shoes.

- In the missing persons report, it is stated that her gums were 'charcoal-grey in appearance'. This is characteristic of gingivitis, but it has also been noted that Diane had 'extensive dental work, with more planned'.

- I personally don't believe that her husband was involved in her disappearance. None of the guns in the household had been used at the time of or prior to her disappearance. Her husband later committed suicide through the use of a gun which had earlier been checked for residue (negative result) and since he obviously knew how to use, it poses the question as to why he wouldn't have shot her if he had in fact killed her. His suicide note also held no details or indication that he had murdered her, and instead painted a picture of grief and sorrow.

Do we know how/where the Schultes met? So much we don't know.

I can partially answer that question. They had known each other for around three and a half years, and had been married for two. Prior to their marriage, the pair had lived in Michigan (I haven't been able to establish exactly where), where they then moved to Iowa for a year after their marriage, and finally settled in Nampha, Idaho. However, I am inclined to believe that they met at college, as Diane majored in accounting. Since they lived in Michigan, it is also possible that they were residents of Flint (where her grandmother originated from).

I've lined up three potential matches which I thought could be Diane Schulte.

1. https://www.identifyus.org/en/cases/10868

Located in Corrigan, Texas on 11/25/1977

She has dark brown hair, and could fit the postmortem interval. The manner of death was homicide (suspected in the missing person's case). However, there's a huge distance between Nampa and Corrigan.

2. https://www.identifyus.org/en/cases/14953

The hair colour of the unidentified female is black, but Diane's was very dark brown (almost black) in colour. My interest was piqued here due to the large number of woven clothing items located with the body (Diane had a passion for macrame). Also, the unidentified female was not wearing a bra (consistent with Diane), and was wearing jeans (Diane was last seen wearing jeans). However, some of the clothing might be too flashy in appearance for Diane in regards to colour and style.

3. https://www.identifyus.org/en/cases/7477

The reconstruction struck me as seeming quite similar in appearance (the curved nose, the thin face, unfinished dental work). Big gap between Idaho and Maryland, but to me this one seemed the most similar.

Diane Marie Schulte
  • diane_marie_schulte_1.jpg
Diane, circa 1977

• Missing Since03/25/1977
  • Missing FromNampa, Idaho
  • ClassificationEndangered Missing
  • Date of Birth09/16/1954 (64)
  • Age22 years old
  • Height and Weight5'5, 118 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry DescriptionA navy blue hooded sweatshirt, blue jeans and yellow sneakers.
  • Distinguishing CharacteristicsCaucasian female. Brown hair, brown eyes. Diane's gums appeared charcoal-gray in color at the time of her 1977 disappearance. She wears eyeglasses or contact lenses.
Details of Disappearance
Diane was last seen at her home on Delaware Avenue in Nampa, Idaho on the morning of March 25, 1977. The previous day, she and Fred, her husband of two years, had gone to the library and checked out a book.

Fred asked Diane if she wanted to go for a walk afterwards, but she declined and said she didn't feel well, so they went home. The next morning, Diane still didn't feel well. Fred went to work at 7:20 a.m. When he returned, his wife was gone.

There were no indications of a struggle or forced entry to the home. The car was still parked at the residence and there was mail in the mailbox and a UPS package on the porch. All of Diane's belongings, including her purse and money, were left behind at home.

Diane's three cats were locked in the spare bedroom, which is where she normally left them whenever she went out, but she left her wedding ring and watch on top of a desk, which is where she kept them when she was at home or only going out for a few minutes.

Diane has never been heard from again. She has no history of dropping out of sight and she is described her as an extremely reserved woman who had no friends in the area, didn't associate with the neighbors and rarely left the house.

She enjoyed reading, macrame projects and spending time with her pet cats. She was estranged from her parents and the only person she was close to besides her husband was her grandmother, who lived in Flint, Michigan; they kept in touch by phone.

According to the Schultes' neighbors, Diane and Fred were devoted to each other and had no history of domestic arguments.

Diane's grandmother stated she was "highly upset and emotional" during their last conversation, possibly because her parents were coming to visit later that year. Diane didn't want to see them and had asked Fred to persuade them to cancel the trip. However, Fred stated his wife was in an "unusually good mood" just prior to her disappearance.

On April 1, a week after Diane vanished, police asked Fred to take a polygraph test about his wife's disappearance and he agreed. The test was scheduled for the following week, but on April 3, Fred's body was found inside his wife's dark blue 1975 Buick.

Fred had been driving northbound on Highway 95 at a high rate of speed when he shot himself in the head, and the car ran off the road and down an embankment.

He left behind two suicide notes. The first was a will. The second stated Diane "gave my life meaning and purpose" and "was everything I ever wanted and needed in a woman," and that he had given up hope that she would return home alive and he couldn't live without her. Neither of the notes indicated that Fred knew what had happened to her.

Police have not named Fred as a suspect in his wife's disappearance, but foul play is suspected in her case. It remains unsolved.

Diane's NamUs profile was modified today, October 3, 2022
She currently has 26 rule outs/exclusions

UP2517
11/17/1980
San Bernardino
CA

UP2128
08/14/1977
Snohomish
WA

UP13607
10/26/1986
Oneida
ID

UP6642
08/07/1986
Chesterfield
VA

UP6482
12/30/1979
Frederick
VA

UP12683
06/06/2014
Newport News
VA

UP6661
02/03/1991
Stafford
VA

UP9978
10/13/2010
Pierce
WA

UP9978
10/13/2010
Pierce
WA

UP6303
01/26/1997
Warren
VA

UP6629
02/03/1991
Frederick
VA

UP8493
12/06/1993
Fairfax
VA

UP6259
04/22/1981
Lawrence
OH

UP1567
06/01/1987
Knox
TN

UP7649
10/23/1977
Orange
CA

UP8425
09/30/1990
Washoe
NV

UP2174
11/10/1985
Merrimack
NH

UP3153
04/19/1981
Will
IL

UP8642
03/30/2011
Fulton
GA

UP8427
07/17/1982
Washoe
NV

UP6249
11/14/1980
Rockingham
VA

UP2512
06/07/1979
San Bernardino
CA

UP4768
04/19/1990
Licking
OH

UP4790
04/24/1981
Miami
OH

UP5166
06/20/1979
Perry
PA

UP5203
01/12/2004
Marion
OR

Submitted Diane for a possible match to UP6296 (Emigrant Gap, CA) to Nampa PD. Pretty far from Nampa but I think it's close enough in time and there's enough resemblance to have it checked out.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eagerhuntress
Back