GUILTY FL - Myles Hill, 3, dies in hot day care van, Orlando, 7 Aug 2017 *Arrest*

Last week I was sitting at the bar of an Outback Restaurant waiting for my to-go order and there were three women who obviously worked at a day care and I was horrified with the things they were talking about happening. One worker drinks on the job. Ones a pill popper. One lost a little girl named Aubrey just the day prior. They couldn't find her for 45 minutes. Talking about who does their counts and who doesn't do their counts. I tried to listen hard enough for them to say the name of the Day Care they worked at, but they never did say because I would have made a complaint.
My husband was recovering from surgery almost exactly 2 years ago. The first time I took him out of the house (to doctor's office maybe 2 weeks after) a 15 passenger van nearly hit us (I was driving straight no stop signs, van was turning right at a stop sign). No traffic, school zone. I literally had to swerve into the middle lane (divider between the traffic lanes) to avoid her hitting us. And she would have hit where my husband was sitting. I truly believe he could have died even in a minor accident. By the time I caught my breath, we were both stopped at a traffic light next to each other. She didn't even acknowledge that she almost hit us. I look and it's a day care van with the logo on the side. I was fuming and called the day care. It only got worse when the owner started making excuses about how hard it is to drive one of those vans (well if you're admitting to not being able to drive one safely and you know it, get a minivan or a professional driver). I posted a negative review on Yelp. I can't believe people allow strangers to care for their precious children. It's nuts.

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk

Oh that sweet baby! I wish I could just hug him. How awful for him. RIP sweet Miles :(

So sad for this sweet boy and his family. This is why I refuse to let me son go to daycare. I still have to work, but I work a job (that I highly dislike) from home and I have a nanny one on one with him only. I screened her thoroughly prior to hiring her. She checks in constantly if they leave to the park, aquarium, etc. She tells me when she arrives, when she is heading back, and sends pictures throughout the day. She does not take him anywhere unplanned while they are out without first asking permission. I know this isn't affordable for everyone and we do not have money left after pay day for leisure because of it. But I have peace of mind. I hope this family finds some comfort in each other although surely their lives will never be the same.

So sad for this sweet boy and his family. This is why I refuse to let me son go to daycare. I still have to work, but I work a job (that I highly dislike) from home and I have a nanny one on one with him only. I screened her thoroughly prior to hiring her. She checks in constantly if they leave to the park, aquarium, etc. She tells me when she arrives, when she is heading back, and sends pictures throughout the day. She does not take him anywhere unplanned while they are out without first asking permission. I know this isn't affordable for everyone and we do not have money left after pay day for leisure because of it. But I have peace of mind. I hope this family finds some comfort in each other although surely their lives will never be the same.

My husband and I agreed to work opposite shifts for this reason. Absolutely no judgment of families that do otherwise, I just...can't. Can't do the daycare thing...

So, no "new" date for this case?

I looked and of course, no luck on anything recent....

JUSTICE for MYLES! :rose:

This is all I found:

http://www.wftv.com/news/local/judge-grants-bail-to-orlando-day-care-worker-accused-of-leaving-toddler-in-van/588516419

During the hearing Friday, the judge set St. Charles' bail at $30,000 and stipulated that she not work at a child care facility or have unsupervised contact with minors.
[.....]
A defense attorney for St. Charles tried to persuade the judge to lower her bail, saying that she couldn't afford to pay it and doesn't have a criminal history.
The judge declined the request but said that he might consider reducing her bail during a future hearing.

and.... of course no "next" court date mentioned!!

If anyone finds one - please post! TIA!

JUSTICE for MYLES! :rose:

Cause of death released.... :(

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-myles-hill-autopsy-results-20171013-story.html

The autopsy, which was released Friday, listed the cause of death as hyperthermia due to environmental exposure and listed the manner of death as an accident. The document also noted his body was “recovered from inside closed-up van exposed to sun for several hours on hot summer day.”

It also noted a “limited obvious external injury” at the head/neck, but it’s not known when that injury was sustained.

and no date on the next court date, naturally!

:bump: up for Myles!

Monday, December 11th:
*Competency Hearing - FL - Myles Hill (3) (Aug. 7, 2017) - Deborah Denise St. Charles (51) (DayCare driver) - charged w/aggravated manslaughter of a child/not an approved driver for day care center/Bail @ $30,000.

:bump: up for today!

Monday, December 11th:
*Competency Hearing - FL - Myles Hill (3) (Aug. 7, 2017) - Deborah Denise St. Charles (51) (Day Care driver) - charged w/aggravated manslaughter of a child/not an approved driver for day care center/Bail @ $30,000.

Update!

Monday, December 18th:
*Competency Hearing - FL - Myles Hill (3) (Aug. 7, 2017) - Deborah Denise St. Charles (51) (Day Care driver) - charged w/aggravated manslaughter of a child/not an approved driver for day care center/Bail @ $30,000.
Postponed from Dec. 11th.
12/18: Defense attorneys withdraw motion of competency; Judge set pretrial on 4/17 & trial set to begin 4/30.

Judge lowers bond for day-care van driver accused of manslaughter
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-deborah-st-charles-bond-20180104-story.html

A woman accused of leaving a toddler in a hot day-care van last summer will be allowed to bond out of jail if the Department of Children and Families approves, a judge ruled Thursday (Jan. 4).
[.....]
Judge John Jordan reduced her bond from $30,000 to $2,500.
[.....]
The prosecutor, Assistant State Attorney James Altman, said he agreed to reduce the bond as long as it was “some amount that would still provide an incentive for her to appear.” St. Charles likely faces 13 to 30 years in prison if convicted, he said.
[.....]
St. Charles will not be released from the Orange County Jail until DCF conducts a home visit, which had not been scheduled at the time of Thursday morning’s hearing.

9 Investigates: Bond in limbo for day care worker charged in Orange County toddler's hot van death
http://www.wftv.com/news/local/9-in...range-county-toddlers-hot-van-death/685191869

was initially being held at the Orange County Jail in lieu of a $30,000 bond, but two weeks ago a judge lowered the amount to $2,500.

Before she could be released, though, the judge ordered that the Florida Department of Children and Families would have to inspect the home where she would be staying.

The reason was that a 14-year-old and her own 15-year-old son would also be living in the home and the judge wanted to make sure any minors would be in a safe environment around St. Charles.

At the time, DCF officials said although the request was unusual, they would comply.

Since then, DCF attorneys have filed a motion seeking clarification, arguing that state law “does not allow the Department to take such action without a response to a child abuse report.”

There are no active child abuse reports stemming from the home where St. Charles would be living, so DCF officials were not sure if they could legally inspect the home.

A hearing on the DCF motion is scheduled for Jan. 24.

Released on bond. Next hearing April 17th, trial starts April 30th.

Tuesday, April 17th:
*Final Pretrial Hearing - FL - Myles Hill (3) (Aug. 7, 2017) - Deborah Denise St. Charles (51) (Day Care driver) - charged with aggravated manslaughter of a child; not an approved driver for day care center. Bail @ $30,000; bond was reduced on 1/4/18 to $2500; 1/24/18 hearing released on bond.
Trial set to begin 4/30/18

Monday, April 30th:
*Trial set to begin - FL - Myles Hill (3) (Aug. 7, 2017) - Deborah Denise St. Charles (51) (Day Care driver) - charged w/aggravated manslaughter of a child; not an approved driver for day care center. Bail @ $30,000; bond was reduced on 1/4/18 to $2500; 1/24/18 hearing released on bond.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melissawilkinson44
Back