Found Deceased CA - Jie Song & Yinan Wang, 31, Sequoia National Park, 6 Aug 2017

Welcome hzsnow! Sending hugs to you both. :grouphug: I'm so sorry about this horrible tragedy. I can't imagine. We didn't know they are only children. Losing a child is awful no matter how many one has, but losing your only one is beyond sad. I only have one and I'd be devastated to lose her.

If you feel like it, and if it helps, you're welcome to talk more about your dear friend Yinan and his sweet wife. Please know that we are here for you. :heartbeat:
Welcome hzsnow, thank you for joining! I'm so sorry for the pain you are feeling. It's truly a shocking accident. :(

Thanks for your kind words. Yinan has a personality that makes you wanna smile whenever think of him. He enjoys good things in life and knows how to savor them (literally, he doesn't cook a lot but can come up with very tasty food). He works really really hard because he likes his research and also he wants to be able to work in a top university/institute that's close enough to Jie back home. He is also very into travel and outdoor activities (watched Nothern lights under -30 C, hiked Mt. Fuji just before dawn, went snowboarding in the Canadian Rockies, etc. etc.) Above all, he treasures friendship and love and that's why he has so many friends and is able to stay long-distance with Jie for so long.

We've only met Jie a few times but enough to tell how nice she is. Even with the little time we spent together I still feel very close to her. She was able to joke with languages only our little circle would use the first time we met, which automatically made her one of us.

It does help when I feel I can let more people know how wonderful they are. I remember one of you saying it's the most scenic place in California they were visiting, which provides a little sentiment for us given their love for lake, mountain and sea, even if the worst has to come...

Thank you for telling us about Yinan and Jie. It is very nice to know something more than the tragedy of the crash. To remember that they were a couple enjoying a beautiful day in a wonderful park. As thrilling as the park can be it can also be dangerous. The rescue of their car may take some time as the river is very high. Feel welcome to come back and talk to us.

Thank you for giving us such a beautiful description of Yinan and Jie, hzsnow. We seldom get to "know" the people we discuss this well. The details you and flygoat have provided have made Yinan and Jie so real to us. We share your anxiety and sadness over the probable loss of this wonderful couple. :heartbeat:

It looks like there is some movement with sar.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I will have to go back and look. It's been a busy google day. All the nps missing people are making me paranoid cause i live by one..😉

It must be a slow news day a site was recycling a story from 5 days ago.

Thanks! It can get confusing when they do that. :confused:

Thank you for giving us such a beautiful description of Yinan and Jie, hzsnow. We seldom get to "know" the people we discuss this well. The details you and flygoat have provided have made Yinan and Jie so real to us. We share your anxiety and sadness over the probable loss of this wonderful couple. :heartbeat:

I agree with all of this!

I zoomed to 500% and see nothing
what do you see

Zooming in on this picture must be very upsetting to their relatives. You can see things no one should ever see.

I zoomed to 500% and see nothing
what do you see
I've already posted what i think I see in the red car earlier in this thread. Out of respect and consideration to readers who may be loved ones, I choose to not repeat it.

Nothing yet? I thought the Thai government was ready to take strong measures if the recovery of the first car didn't proceed... But googling turns up absolutely NO news since then.

Nothing yet? I thought the Thai government was ready to take strong measures if the recovery of the first car didn't proceed... But googling turns up absolutely NO news since then.

I read in an article (upthread?) that representatives of the Thai community and family met with the agency handling recovery and have a better understanding of the dangerous situation now. I guess they are willing to be patient.

[h=1]Summer of tragedy in Kings Canyon: 3 more deaths[/h]
Three people were killed and two others seriously injured in recent incidents in Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks, according to the Fresno Bee.

On Saturday, a 37-year-old solo hiker fell about 25 feet in the Alta Peak area above Pear Lake. Rangers found him Sunday morning in steep, rugged terrain and performed CPR, but attempts to save his life were unsuccessful. The man's name and hometown were not released.

On Aug. 14, a hiker died on the John Muir Trail on a section of switchbacks known as the Golden Staircase, northwest of Mather Pass. The Fresno County Sheriff's Office identified the man as Scott Davis, 62, of Ridgecrest. Cause of death was not given.
http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Summer-of-tragedy-in-Kings-Canyon-3-more-deaths-11950978.php

Jie Song and Yinan Wang are mentioned in the above article, but there is no new info. :(

I read in an article (upthread?) that representatives of the Thai community and family met with the agency handling recovery and have a better understanding of the dangerous situation now. I guess they are willing to be patient.
That is good to hear. Would hate to lose another life.

While it's always a tragedy to lose someone who's gone hiking, I feel that type of situation is somewhat different than a car accident. Hikers are out there voluntarily. The state or county needs to take some responsibility in not guarding the cliff edges properly in areas of high danger, such as the section these two cars went over. :(

Still no updates :(

This is from 8/18, ten days ago, but I don't see that it was posted. Nothing new except a comment from the consulate representative. I haven't found any new reports, even on the sheriff's FB page. :(

Consul Huo Huijian of the consulate's protection department said "we didn't rule out the possibility that they are still alive".
Meanwhile, family members of the couple in China are being offered assistance to streamline application procedures so they can come to the US.
"We didn't want to spread speculation about the couple's situation," said Huo, adding that the consulate general hasn't received any confirmation of the couple's death.
http://usa.chinadaily.com.cn/world/2017-08/18/content_30796851.htm

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PoignantEcho