Hurricane Harvey - August 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
23 year old male fell in ditch and was swept away

they are trying to locate

This is gonna be so scary for all these people in darkness -- they all have to be completely fried.

If you think about it a hurricane tornado typically come and then GO

and then you know who what when where

Asking restaurants to bring food to shelters

on so many levels it is unreal .

I have never heard , as the enormity of this set in for officials to finally say any citizen that has a big truck or flat boat pls go roam around and save peoples lives.

And now, to hear officials to be asking restaurants to help out govt with food is truly, just scary

How do you decide where to open shelters with tonight coming?

Finding unflooded space has to be hard but with tonight coming gosh what is tomm gonna be like for these people?

Last night these poor people started dry. But to be trapped with another whole night of rain what on earth do you do?

In the dark going up on your roof does not help you get found.

Then what -- their only choice is going to be to go on their roof and sit for 12 hours, atop your roof in pouring rain its just awful

They have no food -- water it is hard to grasp what they are experiencing

even when rescued where do they go?

If it would just stop raining at least there is a period at the end of the sentence.

I still keep , stupidly, searching around on line , hoping to see radar quit displaying "yellow" training storms but it is not happening .

Harvey' tushie is still on the gulf . That is so bad it is fuel for him .

There are lots of supplies coming from all over -- with no airports that means driving from other states?

I know the focus is on saving lives - I am wondering if they should not start doing like food drops like they do in starving nations

people die without water

I think we need the army

it is utter powerlessness.................

My heart goes out to all in Texas. I'm a veteran of several major hurricanes in Florida. I see people trying to evacuate with their pets. As an owner of 4 pets I couldn't leave mine behind. I know Florida had some pet-friendly shelters--I hope SE Texas has the same.

Do you guys remember the classic I-10 picture from Katrina with a bunch of people trapped on the I -10?

I just saw first video - that is what it is starting to be like bunches of peoples trapped on interstates.......

Reporters are hitching rides on.................................................. BOATS

Its becoming like a cheesy disaster movie that you would watch saying this is so stupid nothing like this would ever happen.......

My heart goes out to all in Texas. I'm a veteran of several major hurricanes in Florida. I see people trying to evacuate with their pets. As an owner of 4 pets I couldn't leave mine behind. I know Florida had some pet-friendly shelters--I hope SE Texas has the same.

Katrina helped with this a lot! Authorities discovered that people would not leave cause of their babies

I would be unable to leave without my Lady Love Bug!

Her name is Lady but she is actually my Lady Love Bug!!

Houston mayor was just defending his decision not to call for city's evacuation. I don't know...

The funniest pic from that link...look at that wind tho

1024x1024.jpg

Yes, I'm watching CNN coverage of Dickinson. Unbelievable.

Houston mayor was just defending his decision not to call for city's evacuation. I don't know...

I didn't see it so I don't know what he said but I seem to remember the last time they tried to evacuate for a hurricane it was a fiasco. There was just not enough roads to carry the number of vehicles and it just amounted to a huge traffic jam. Vehicles were running out of gas, stranding people on the side of the highway. I had friends whose family members turned around and returned home after being on the highway for hours and barely making progress. There was also a tragedy where a bus carrying elderly evacuees caught fire resulting in deaths.

When my sister moved to the Houston area several years later, they made the conscious decision that they would stay and not evacuate as they felt they were far enough inland not to worry about the storm surge and were not near any bayous. So, they installed hurricane-proof windows and a natural gas-powered generator.

The mayor may have figured that even if he ordered an evacuation most would have remembered the last one and not heeded it anyway (in addition to the problems inherent in evacuating such a large population).

See this YouTube video of KHOU 11 weather forecast on 8/25. Somebody wasn't at the wheel....I stand corrected that there clearly was a forecast of this tragic event....

[video=youtube;HfQlCqdxU2s]Https://www.YouTube.com/watch?v=HfQlCqdxU2s[/video]

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

I didn't see it so I don't know what he said but I seem to remember the last time they tried to evacuate for a hurricane it was a fiasco. There was just not enough roads to carry the number of vehicles and it just amounted to a huge traffic jam. Vehicles were running out of gas, stranding people on the side of the highway. I had friends whose family members turned around and returned home after being on the highway for hours and barely making progress. There was also a tragedy where a bus carrying elderly evacuees caught fire resulting in deaths.

When my sister moved to the Houston area several years later, they made the conscious decision that they would stay and not evacuate as they felt they were far enough inland not to worry about the storm surge and were not near any bayous. So, they installed hurricane-proof windows and a natural gas-powered generator.

The mayor may have figured that even if he ordered an evacuation most would have remembered the last one and not heeded it anyway (in addition to the problems inherent in evacuating such a large population).

In addition they would have no way of knowing where the downpours were going to occur - so they might have ended up moving people to a place that then gout inudanted.

It seems they are gonna need to start doing like supply drops like in a third world humanitarian effort

Attachments

• IMG_0817.JPG
    IMG_0817.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0819.PNG
    IMG_0819.PNG
    452.6 KB · Views: 120
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online