Hurricane Harvey - August 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deleted by me, in order to check out information further.

Sorry if it was misleading...

Just glanced at the tv screen, CNN showing VP Pence on the ground helping to move a big pile of trash ... wearing jeans and gloves. Nice job, VP.

We are seeing gasoline shortages here in the DFW metroplex. IF you can find a station that has gas, the lines are long!

Quick note to say - I've heard from Geevee.

She's safe & dry, but for the time being, has limited ability to communicate. I'm sure she'll post here when she can, with a story to tell.

Until then........sweet relief! :)

Quick note to say - I've heard from Geevee.

She's safe & dry, but for the time being, has limited ability to communicate. I'm sure she'll post here when she can, with a story to tell.

Until then........sweet relief! :)

Thank you, thank you!!! What a relief to know. Give her all our love if you get the chance.

Having worked with organic peroxides, I do believe the reports of the spokesperson, although I agree he did not communicate very well during the presser. This is not a chemical which will lay on the water and be on fire. It's explosive when under pressure or with higher temps if unstable and .. and the oxygen in the compounds will heavily contribute to fire. Toxic and noxious (irritant and cause permanent damage) ) is not poisonous... and even I cannot find a way to communicate it here the difference.

Superfund site... that's another worry indeed.

Thank you Bentley! We appreciate you sharing your knowledge! It's good information for me, the uninformed!

Absolutely a must read! It discusses the healt/environmental hazards and risk of diseases that could come now. Quite an honest and very blunt description.

---Lead, arsenic and other toxic and carcinogenic elements may be leaching...

---“There’s no need to test it,” he said. “It’s contaminated. There’s millions of contaminants.”

--officials were monitoring the drinking water system and the sewer system, both of which he said were intact so far. But hundreds of thousands of people across the 38 Texas counties affected by Hurricane Harvey use private wells, according to an estimate by Louisiana State University researchers, and those people must fend for themselves.

--...we have folks that use well water but we strongly recommend against it — and this will sound awful — we don’t take responsibility for it.”

--- .. (Houston) .. more than two dozen current and former toxic waste sites designated under the federal Superfund program. The sites contain what the Environmental Protection Agency calls legacy contamination: lead, arsenic, polychlorinated biphenyls, benzene and other toxic and carcinogenic compounds from industrial activities many years ago.

--Damaged refineries and other oil facilities have already released more than two million pounds of hazardous substances into the air this week, including nitrogen oxide as well as benzene and other volatile organic compounds,

Much more in the article.

I'm sure Geevee did (extremely reluctantly) have to leave her house, and am willing to bet that what came next is, best case, feeling pretty overwhelming and traumatizing.

But....she would have left her house voluntarily, before it was under water (if it even is now), helped by neighbors, and with at least some choice about where to go.

Geevee is very special to me, has been for years, so right now I'm holding onto that half full glass.

It's heartwrenching to think of our members having to leave their homes. We are truly blessed to have so many wonderful caring people here at Websleuths! :heartbeat: :grouphug: Geevee we are thinking of you and everyone suffering through the storm and the aftermath.

Houstons polluted Superfund sites threaten to contaminate floodwaters

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...es-into-a-toxic-gumbo/?utm_term=.a5601e5e01b5

From your link Neesaki:

Harris County, home to Houston, has at least a dozen federal Superfund sites, more than any county in Texas. On top of that, the state lists several other highly toxic sites managed by the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality. Up to 30 percent of the county is under water. Like other scientists in the area, Highfield is deeply worried about toxins leaking into the water during an unprecedented rainfall and flooding from Hurricane Harvey that caused dams to spill over for the first time in history. On Tuesday, ExxonMobil reported that two of its refineries east of Houston had been damaged in the flood and released pollutants. “I made a couple of phone calls to colleagues who said bottle up [samples], label them and we’ll run them all,” Highfield said.

These types of headlines infuriate me as folks don't read the entire article. The headline is merely inflammatory and misleading and passed along by folks who promote :pullhair:

HB 1774 does not change the insurance claims process for insurance policyholders. It has more to do with suing companies later down the line, and this article was original by lawyers wanting folks to file suit now :pullhair:

I suggest read the entire article.

A lawyer explained it. What it actually does it cut the fines for the insurers in half if they dont do what they are supposed to d

do

There insurances companies - thats what they do - is make a profit.

If a speeding a ticket was 200 then 100.............

Just watching CNN covering people walking door to door in Houston checking homes, I came up with an idea.

What if all the telemarketing companies, political campaign consultants, etc. that have massive, up to date phone databases and call centers volunteered to send automated phone calls to all their contacts in the affected zip codes? People could answer and press a button to say if they needed rescue or are sheltered someplace. They could then filter those who don't answer or need assistance and quickly follow up with live phone calls from staff to determine where people are and what help they need.

Lots could be accomplished quickly using these mass calling systems. Might as well put them to good use.

That is a good idea! Not sure which leader it was - but one of the big ones.

Who outlined briefly that they are thinking about using the stuff that big oil does when it gets drills ready for drilling.

Apparently they can get entire cities up in days for the drillers !!

Yes, my husband and I have donated twice already. Twice to the Salvation Army since little of the donations go for administrative expenses and goes directly to the needs of the people who needs it. We are planning on donating for months, and even longer if necessary. We have been through these type of devastating floods before and know recovery is a very long process. So I hope that those who donate now will remember this and donate again and often.

IMO

Thank you Ocean! :hug: So many people are donating and volunteering their time that it does restore one's faith in humanity! I, for one, appreciate everyone who is posting on Harvey's thread too! There is no substitute for the advice and stories of members who know exactly what Texas is suffering at this time! It does a lot for my moral to see you all here! I'm not alone! lol!

I bet there are people from the other 49 states here helping physically because that's what Americans do!

I read a story earlier in the week regarding a young man who came from Ohio to help rescue people. He hit some water and hydroplaned. He lost his life trying to help others. Popsicle may have posted this. I'll look back and see if I can find it. Thank you Ohio!

Gosh now that aviation limitations have eased the more aerials that come in all I think is we need more people

what a mess just a mess

We all know in reality what this means!

[FONT=&quot]House Bill 1774 also reduces the penalty fees that insurance companies face for late payments if the policyholder files a lawsuit.

[/FONT]
https://www.texastribune.org/2017/08/28/harvey-insurance-claims/

Get your claim started so they cant sc### you !

Just got off the phone with my brother in Houston and my sister in Beaumont.

My brother lives in the Heights, so his home has thankfully stayed dry (higher ground than many other Houston areas). He's a petrochemical engineer and he told me he's worried about the waste pits at the San Jacinto River, which has been flooded for days now. That site stores (among other dangerous chemicals) highly toxic dioxins, which are known endocrine disruptors and extremely carcinogenic. The caps on the storage containers are vulnerable to erosion during hydrologic events (flooding).

Let us hope those caps hold strong.

After Tuesday night's torrent over Beaumont, I was worried sick about my older sister. Miraculously, her apartment didn't get flooded and her car is okay! She's been out all day today with her coworker buying & delivering supplies to shelters (having to take numerous detours & alternate routes due to flooded roads). But did she fill her bathtub with water Tuesday night like I advised? Nope - so she's going to stay at her boss's house (with a swimming pool so they can use that water to flush the toilets).

My niece is in Dallas and she said most of the gas stations are out of gasoline.

I was born and raised in Texas, although I haven't lived there since 1986. This is so heartbreaking. No matter where I live, Texas will always be home to me. There's no other place like it anywhere on Earth - I know my fellow Texans will attest to that!

Over this past week, as I've watched so many caring people pitching in to help rescue flood victims, my faith in Humanity has been restored.

#TexasStrong

We all know in reality what this means!

[FONT="]House Bill 1774 also reduces the penalty fees that insurance companies face for late payments if the policyholder files a lawsuit.

[/FONT]
https://www.texastribune.org/2017/08/28/harvey-insurance-claims/

Get your claim started so they cant sc### you !

Amen!!

During the press conference in now, with Sarah Hucksbee-Sanders, they are showing pictures of the Katy area. so much water/flooding. Isn't this where geevee is (or near)?

pictures from about 3 days ago, Katy area:
https://coveringkaty.com/2017/08/28/harvey-floods-downtown-katy-pictures-and-video/

FB page for Katy news. https://www.facebook.com/TheKatyNews/

I think so. Trying to find Geevee's post. Totesmagoat has a friend rescuing people in Katy! In your article it said most were taken to school buildings, but I wonder if those flooded too.

Before I went to bed last night they were talking about Sour Lake. Said it was an island. Nobody could get in and no one could get out! :notgood: I also missed the 20/20 show last night about Harvey. They had the gong show on. Thought they would interrupt and put on 20/20.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa