Found Deceased MD - Laura Wallen, 31, pregnant, Olney, 3 Sept 2017 #1 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the article quoted here:

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2017/09/08/missing-pregnant-teacher-maryland-license-plate-car/

“She told me about her pregnancy and how tired she was. She hung her sonogram up on the refrigerator and she wouldn’t tell me what she was having, but she was telling me she was excited, and she was ready for another school year,” says former student Saquan Maxwell."

Which refrigerator is he talking about? Because if he is a former student meaning he graduated in May 2017 when did she hang the sonogram if she was 4 months pregnant (meaning she conceived in May 2017).? When can one get a sonogram?

Are teachers active during the summer? Do they meet with students or recent graduates?

It's not uncommon to students to talk to teachers after they graduate. I know people who talk to teachers via FB. I have no knowledge on how she interacted with her students, though.

I think she either took off on her own or was possibly suicidal.

No, but that definitely indicates they think she is missing of her own choosing, along with police saying they don't suspect foul play, and no-commenting on her mental status.

I agree with this, it looks that way right now.

If LE say no foul play is suspected I assume her car was in good condition, nothing that would indicate a struggle was found in it.

I hope she is somewhere laying low, sorting herself out. Or checked herself in somewhere, anonymously.

I think the father came off as he does not believe she would leave on her own. He reiterated that she was excited for school, it was her number one joy (strange since she pregnant but school was the thing she seemed most excited for) and he was especially worried that she did not call in substitute, which he seemed to believe she would if she intended on not showing

I feel like he just meant she was excited about school "right now" because it was about to start, not that it was the only thing she was excited about.

It's not uncommon to students to talk to teachers after they graduate. I know people who talk to teachers via FB. I have no knowledge on how she interacted with her students, though.

Based on this twitter post from one student that was missing her, it seemed she was very devoted to her students and had a good relationship. It seemed she was friendly with some recently graduated students outside of school.

My best friend is in her early 30's and teaches high school. She is also the AVID advisor and takes the AVID kids to tour colleges and helps them with their applications. She works with those kids all 4 years and becomes quite bonded with them. She is friends on social media with a select few former students, but I don't think any current ones. She is extremely well liked by her students.

That all said, she most definitely didn't tell any students she was pregnant before the administrators and other teachers heard, and that wasn't until she was 12 weeks. She didn't want students to know until she was out of the first trimester in case she lost the baby.

My other friends that are teachers also didn't tell their students right away. I can't imagine Laura would have told any before the end of the school year because from what her dad or boyfriend said, it sounded like she just told the principal in the last week or so.

For sure. At least for me. It was like a roller-coaster (especially with morning sickness). Your body is no longer your own, and it lets you know it lol.

Yes. Even without actual depression the first half of pregnancy can be very challenging physically and that can affect relationships and emotions drastically. I wasnt depressed while pregnant with my now 7mo but I felt just totally not like myself. EVERYTHING felt like a struggle.

*edited to change "was depressed" to "wasn't depressed"

I had my first sonogram at 5 weeks. There wasn't much to see. But I was also high risk. I don't believe most people know they are pregnant until about 4/5 weeks or more. I think with my first I received at sonogram around 8-12 weeks.

My daughters step mother is a teacher. She is actually a teacher that that works with critically endangered teachers (ie teachers at risk of losing their job). She was not active at all over the summer until almost the end of August. She watched our daughter every day during the summer up until that point.

Do not sleuth individuals who are not officially named a POI or suspect. You may discuss what someone has said in MSM but beyond that you may not sleuth them and post about it on Websleuths. Such posts have been removed.

Please brush up on Websleuths Terms of Service aka The Rules:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?159-The-Rules

Further violations of sleuthing “innocents” can result in a temporary or permanent loss of posting privileges.

:tyou:

It seems Laura is definitely a "peoples person". She loves to interact with others and apparently she is very caring and giving. But that does not mean that she would open up to everyone about her true feelings, especially at work. Maybe she is not happy about the pregnancy. Or maybe her bf isn't. She and her bf are not living together, a baby might change an arrangement that probably worked well for the two of them for many years. Maybe there were mixed feelings and arguments which depressed her. Just speculating.

Why won't the BF reveal details of last convo? If you watch the video with no sound the body language seems strained between bf and the mother imo

J.M.O.

<modsnip>

According to the article quoted here:

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2017/09/08/missing-pregnant-teacher-maryland-license-plate-car/

“She told me about her pregnancy and how tired she was. She hung her sonogram up on the refrigerator and she wouldn’t tell me what she was having, but she was telling me she was excited, and she was ready for another school year,” says former student Saquan Maxwell."

Which refrigerator is he talking about? Because if he is a former student meaning he graduated in May 2017 when did she hang the sonogram if she was 4 months pregnant (meaning she conceived in May 2017).? When can one get a sonogram?

Are teachers active during the summer? Do they meet with students or recent graduates?

BBM. First sonogram is usually 8-10 weeks, and then the second around 20 weeks. But some OBs do more, some do less.

I agree with this, it looks that way right now.

If LE say no foul play is suspected I assume her car was in good condition, nothing that would indicate a struggle was found in it.

I hope she is somewhere laying low, sorting herself out. Or checked herself in somewhere, anonymously.

I think in past cases, people who are voluntarily missing or suicidal generally stay with their cars, or in the immediate vicinity of their cars. Do you sleuthers agree or disagree with that?

Because Fb wasn't around when I was in high school, I think it's weird for teachers to be friends with students on social media. But I asked my sister, who is a teacher, and she said it's pretty normal (for current and past students). She's also friends with a lot of parents of students on social media.

My friend lived in a gated apartment community and the code to get in was the last 4 digits of his phone number. He has since moved, but I was curious so I used his code to open the gate earlier today and lo and behold it opened. I figured management would disable it when he moved.

Just throwing my useless info into the conversation. I've been following along and I'm still hoping Laura is simply taking a break and will be located soon.

I think in past cases, people who are voluntarily missing or suicidal generally stay with their cars, or in the immediate vicinity of their cars. Do you sleuthers agree or disagree with that?

Agree. I believe that this is usually the case.

Because Fb wasn't around when I was in high school, I think it's weird for teachers to be friends with students on social media. But I asked my sister, who is a teacher, and she said it's pretty normal (for current and past students). She's also friends with a lot of parents of students on social media.

My friend lived in a gated apartment community and the code to get in was the last 4 digits of his phone number. He has since moved, but I was curious so I used his code to open the gate earlier today and lo and behold it opened. I figured management would disable it when he moved.

Just throwing my useless info into the conversation. I've been following along and I'm still hoping Laura is simply taking a break and will be located soon.

I wonder if it's just my school district or because I have a younger child, but I was under the impression that it was strongly discouraged or even forbidden for teachers to interact with students on social media. I'm in college right now and our professors have told us that they can only interact with us through the college email and/or blackboard system. They aren't allowed to use private emails, social media or any other form of communication.

I'm thinking of three cases......Jennifer Huston, right near her car. Cheryl DeBoer....not near her car......Lindsey Piccone.....sorta near car (in the park but took a while to find her).

I'm thinking of three cases......Jennifer Huston, right near her car. Cheryl DeBoer....not near her car......Lindsey Piccone.....sorta near car (in the park but took a while to find her).

ETA: Rita Maze: IN her car (trunk)

ETA: Rita Maze: IN her car (trunk)
CDB is a good example that goes against my thinking.

I was thinking of Teleka Patrick (close to car but in a pond), Allison Cope (alive and in Or near her car in a parking garage), and Jennifer Huston.

CDB is a good example that goes against my thinking.

I was thinking of Teleka Patrick (close to car but in a pond) and Allison Cope (alive and in Or near her car in a parking garage).

Teleka is a lot like Lindsey in that regard. I'm not familiar with Allison.

She may have parked her car and walked, wonder if there are cameras along the road. Sounds to me like she did seem depressed/distraught in text but family does not want to say, in fear of maybe compromising her job, etc.

I have seen in the news where teachers have been fired or disciplined for having a photo on FB showing them holding a glass of wine. I doubt it is ever a good idea for a teacher to have their SM public or to be online friends with students. I know my niece has to keep hers private.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288